anybody know of good trails in ottawa?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

anybody know of good trails in ottawa?

Hey! I live in ottawa and know a few trails that I always bike on but I am looking for new trails to explore and have fun on. If anybody bikes in ottawa and knows of some good trails, please let me know. Thanks

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques12345
    Hey! I live in ottawa and know a few trails that I always bike on but I am looking for new trails to explore and have fun on. If anybody bikes in ottawa and knows of some good trails, please let me know. Thanks
    Be sure to checkout the Kanata Lakes/Huntmar trails in Kanata (west Ottawa)...very technical with some very, very nice trails! For more info, go to www.mtbkanata.com

As well, there's always the Gats, which includes Camp Fortune as well as some other trails.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Aug 2004
    Hey! Thanks allot, will be checking those out. Do you live in kanata?

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Hey! Thanks allot, will be checking those out. Do you live in kanata?
    Yes, I do. I have trails within 1 minute of my house and I can use these to get to the Kanata Lakes/Huntmar trails or to the gravel NCC trails which will take me downtown or to the Gats.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

Aug 2004
    Wow theres trails that lead from downtown to kanata? I never knew that. Where do I take the trails from downtown if I want to end up to kanata and the kanata lake trails?

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Wow theres trails that lead from downtown to kanata? I never knew that. Where do I take the trails from downtown if I want to end up to kanata and the kanata lake trails?
    Yes, there are bike paths, gravel paths, trails, roads, etc that will take you from downtown to Kanata. I often take my 'cross bike out and ride from my place in Kanata to downtown and then along the Parkway into Orleans, and then back.

I'll take a look at a map to try and find the best route for you to hit the Huntmar trails from downtown. Take note, the Huntmar trails are very technical and should not be ridden alone for the first couple times because there is lots of potential to get lost. But, the trails are fantastic!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

Aug 2004
    Alright thanks allot, please respond asap. Thanks! and all make shure to take someone with me.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Alright thanks allot, please respond asap. Thanks! and all make shure to take someone with me.
    The easiest way to get to Kanata from downtown is to take the bike path that runs along the River and Parkway. Not exciting, but it will get you there and makes a good warm-up.

Take the path past Britannia Park, past Andrew Haydon Park and along Carling. Take Carling all the way to March Rd. Take March Rd north until Terry Fox (Alcatel building on your right at this intersection). Turn left onto Terry Fox and keep going straight after the stop sign. At this point, the road becomes gravel and you are now on Goulborn Forced Road. Just head down GFR for a couple kilometers and you'll see a parking lot on your left. That's the main starting point for some of the better-known trails in Kanata Lakes. Lots of fun stuff in there, but it's been used-n-abused over the years and is very rutted and muddy, when wet. There used to be a bi-weekly Wednesday night race series through these trails.

Or, if you'd like to hit the Huntmar trails (highly recommended), you can either hook-up with them via the trails of GFR, or you can get there in a more direct route. So, instead of turning left on Terry Fox off March, keep going north on March and turn left on Klondike. Stay on Klondike (it eventually has a sharp right turn). At this turn, you'll see some double-track trails straight ahead and to your left. The double-track straight ahead leads to a trail called "Pete's Wicked" and then "Outback". You can take this trail to the Huntmar trails.

The double-track to your left will take you back to GFR.

Or, you can proceed down Klondike to the first stop sign. Turn left. Take this road past the golf course (on your right) and at the first stop sign, turn left. Take this road down until you see a narrow wooden train bridge. Stop and look to your left...this is the entrance to the Huntmar trails: Ridge Top, Outback, Pete's Wicked, Fat *****, etc.

There are a lot of trail off-shoots, so it's going to be like a maze. There's a map available at MTBKanata.com....print it out and take it with you....you'll need it.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

President, CEO of Earth
    I just hit the Jackpine trails (in the greenbelt near huntclub and moodie) that are recommended on www.MTBKanata.com. Pretty nice, and I suspect knowing how to find my way around and a little more time to explore could make that a favorite.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyNobody
    I just hit the Jackpine trails (in the greenbelt near huntclub and moodie) that are recommended on www.MTBKanata.com. Pretty nice, and I suspect knowing how to find my way around and a little more time to explore could make that a favorite.
    I live a couple minutes away from the Jack Pine, Stoney Swamp, Lime Kiln, etc. trails. Literally, I'm out the door and on the trails within 1 minute. These trails, in particular, a very inter-connected and, as such, it is pretty easy to become disoriented since the trails are constantly criss-crossing, there are off-shoots, etc. But, if you can hit any of the major parking lots off the loop, there's a map.

These trails are also fairly non-technical. But, they do have some rocky, rooty and tecnhical sections thrown in to keep you on your toes....in particular, Lime Kiln...very rocky!

I typically ride the Jack Pine, Stoney Swamp, Lime Kiln, etc. trails and then ride North to the Kanata Lakes trails, including Outback, Ridge, etc. I'll then ride home. This makes a great, long (4+ hr) loop with a wide variation of trails, paths, roads, etc. The pre- and post-Kanata Lakes trails make for a great warm-up/cool-down.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)