anybody else in toronto ride in today?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678

    anybody else in toronto ride in today?

    My TO winterbike is now a fixie

    learned this morning that you should road test a bike after its been sitting for 8 months...the cog set and rear axle have become one...i can peddle backwards! Always wondered how the couriers rode those things...now i know
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    TT.
    TT. is offline
    wheeler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    565
    I like your bell
    I Ride, I Know

  3. #3
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,968
    Ever seen the movie quicksilver?

    Theres a trials bit in there thats pretty hot.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    bike's done...i get to go home without having the peddles pound my ankles when going downhill

    George (Parts Unknown) + $20 = freewheelin' again

    its was the last bell at MEC when i needed one

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Damn, JM, you just gave me a cold chill right down my spine!

    Do tell - what do you WEAR when riding in this crap? Do you have the Darth Vader look when you ride?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies. :D

  6. #6
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,104

    he is fat enough not to need anything else...

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Damn, JM, you just gave me a cold chill right down my spine!

    Do tell - what do you WEAR when riding in this crap? Do you have the Darth Vader look when you ride?
    dont tell...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    dont tell...
    (ducks)

    Don't give him incentive to show pics of him riding in the buff, eh?!?!

    Actually, i'd much rather have the padding/insulation myself. I'm skinny - I wasn't kidding about getting a chill when I saw those pics!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies. :D

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    thanks to all...can hardly wait to see the comments on the weekend pics at the beach

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    thanks to all...can hardly wait to see the comments on the weekend pics at the beach
    No, wait, I was serious! What the heck do you wear in this weather? If it was me i'd be out there with long john's, pants, sweatpants, long john-style shirt, sweater, jacket, winter jacket, touque, and the hood from the winter jacket (crap, I wouldn't even need a helmet!). Hence the Darth Vader joke - no exposed skin. I'm scrawny and don't produce any heat of my own worth mentioning.

    Seriously though, please entertain the Q, eh? I'm just looking for a comparison note. No sarcasm or joke's from here on - I promise.

    Way to go, Osokolo, this is all YOUR fault, teasing and taunting him!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies. :D

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678

    Osokolo's right, under these clothes i'm totaly naked

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    No, wait, I was serious! What the heck do you wear in this weather?

    Way to go, Osokolo, this is all YOUR fault, teasing and taunting him!
    i alway do layers to suit the weather...usually cotton or fleece, then a sweater or fleece, and an outer shell, down if dry, thinsulate if wet...feet are the first to go so boots with fleece or thinsulate liners work great...ski gloves if really cold too

    today's a problem...warm, rainy morning with a cold ride home...so 2 layers with a thinslate jacket and a MEC commuter rain jacket...we have a laundry room at the office and i keep a change of clothes there so my riding gear goes in the dryer, then 3 layers and a dry (i hope) jacket coming back tonight. Will take extra foot gear and thermal socks in the panier so feet will be dry

    been doing this for 5 years...hope to keep it up for a while yet

    if very cold i use flannel lined wind pants over the denim...problems usualy start below -20C but i missed only 8 days last year (very cold days), 4 the year before (because of the ice storm)

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678

    this is what i wore in the rain this morning

    i know...poor colour choice in our office shower room

    also, i thought about this thread on the way in today, and realized how lucky we are to have a choice. I have 2 trucks in the driveway and can put the bikes away if the weather is bad or if i'm sick.

    The people that i really feel sorry for are those that have to do this for a living. We use a lot of bike couriers here and when you realize that they have to ride for 8 hours/day in all kinds of weather, you see this from a different perspectve.

    My heart reallly goes out to one courier that calls on us. She's only a kid, 5'0", <100lb, and has a habit of wrapping her hands and feet in plastic bags when wet or in snow. Last year i came upon her in the lobby of our old office on a really cold day...she had been out for 6 hours, had a few more calls to make, and she couldn't stop shaking...her teeth were chattering, and she was so cold that she couldn't speak. What struck me was that she couldn't stop crying...she just sat on our rad, shaking and sobbing...and then had to go back out

    sometimes its nice to be able to count our blessings
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,104

    the problem is when you want...

    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    i alway do layers to suit the weather...usually cotton or fleece, then a sweater or fleece, and an outer shell, down if dry, thinsulate if wet...feet are the first to go so boots with fleece or thinsulate liners work great...ski gloves if really cold too

    today's a problem...warm, rainy morning with a cold ride home...so 2 layers with a thinslate jacket and a MEC commuter rain jacket...we have a laundry room at the office and i keep a change of clothes there so my riding gear goes in the dryer, then 3 layers and a dry (i hope) jacket coming back tonight. Will take extra foot gear and thermal socks in the panier so feet will be dry

    been doing this for 5 years...hope to keep it up for a while yet

    if very cold i use flannel lined wind pants over the denim...problems usualy start below -20C but i missed only 8 days last year (very cold days), 4 the year before (because of the ice storm)
    your commute ride to be your practice ride as well... then the perspiration becomes an issue, if it is heavy, like in my case...

    but as JM said, layering is the key here.. i use SMARTWOOL products, check them out at www.smartwool.com. it works absolutely fantastic. this is my next to skin layer. Next layer up is usually some Patagonia moisture wicking stuff like capilene. I rarely needed the third layer, even in severe cold - bellow -10... of course, the most important piece of winter clothing is the jacket and bottoms... i use Arcteryx windstopper stretch jacket - it is still breathable. Bottoms have windstopper material on the front, where it counts... gloves are hardcore goretex thinsulate not bulky at all. Neoprene booties and assos windstopper cap and i am set to go...

    i dont like riding in rain / cold though... it is just not worth it, and i dont have to do it... yeah, i am *****....

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    WOW! Your post makes me appreciate my car all the more. I feel sorry for the young lady - school her, would ya?!?!

    How far do you have to ride?

    Hey, the cold chill's stopped now.

    Thanks for the info guys. I might just have a stab at a winter ride and NOT freeze to death, only to unthaw next spring with one of you finding me at Albion.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies. :D

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    WOW! Your post makes me appreciate my car all the more. I feel sorry for the young lady - school her, would ya?!?!

    How far do you have to ride?

    Hey, the cold chill's stopped now.

    Thanks for the info guys. I might just have a stab at a winter ride and NOT freeze to death, only to unthaw next spring with one of you finding me at Albion.
    probably best to school her landlord to ask for the rent to be paid only on the warmer days...if you're around bathurst-yonge-front-dundas during the week you'll recognize her black SS freewheel with the pink wrap and the spider web tat on her calf

    Anyway, i vary my route from 13km to 17km each way (prefer the longer rides) and do 10-15km between 12:00 and 1:30 each day

    always important dress for the weather, layers are important and I always wear this on the really cold days
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,104

    hey, your size is xtra small...

    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    probably best to school her landlord to ask for the rent to be paid only on the warmer days...if you're around bathurst-yonge-front-dundas during the week you'll recognize her black SS freewheel with the pink wrap and the spider web tat on her calf

    Anyway, i vary my route from 13km to 17km each way (prefer the longer rides) and do 10-15km between 12:00 and 1:30 each day

    always important dress for the weather, layers are important and I always wear this on the really cold days
    can i have x-large please?

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678

    hey, its cold...

    have to factor in shrinkage on the cold days

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    can i have x-large please?
    Okay, you! Enough is enough.

    What's your story-behind-the-story here? Those kind of stabs and Smiley's portray an image in one's mind that you two have met, and now have an inside joke that needs to be posted so we can have something to talk about!

    Now go post a thread about this. Your own thread. We need some entertainment.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies. :D

  18. #18
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,968
    You wear two of em?
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

  19. #19
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,104

    he couldnt wait...

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Okay, you! Enough is enough.

    What's your story-behind-the-story here? Those kind of stabs and Smiley's portray an image in one's mind that you two have met, and now have an inside joke that needs to be posted so we can have something to talk about!

    Now go post a thread about this. Your own thread. We need some entertainment.
    for the law to change so that he could marry me - so he went and married a woman... go figure...


  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678

    she just signed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    for the law to change so that he could marry me - so he went and married a woman... go figure...

    ...for a her fitness class here
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    ...for a her fitness class here
    Hmmm, makes you wonder wether or not the choice of vehicle represents anything?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies. :D

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Hmmm, makes you wonder wether or not the choice of vehicle represents anything?

    good catch...

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.