Another rider down...- Mtbr.com
    Space for rent...

Another rider down...

Familiar story, 87 year old man helping the Police with their inquiries...

http://www.insidehalton.com/news/art...t-in-collision

Oakville has modified a number of roads recently to include bike lanes. I don't think this section of Upper Middle has one, but their is a separate path next to the sidewalk that is used by bikes/joggers/roller bladers.

Fingers crossed these boys will be ok...
    It's only pain......

mtbr member

I saw that on the news last night. The report said

Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F View Post
    Familiar story, 87 year old man helping the Police with their inquiries...

http://www.insidehalton.com/news/art...t-in-collision

Oakville has modified a number of roads recently to include bike lanes. I don't think this section of Upper Middle has one, but their is a separate path next to the sidewalk that is used by bikes/joggers/roller bladers.

Fingers crossed these boys will be ok...
    the 87 year old driver returned to the accident scene with his daughter in the car. A bad day all around. I think that this general area has seen numerous cyclist struck.

namagomi
    Seniors behind the wheel scare the crap outta me, they just aren't 100% aware of everybody. Throw in an unexpected stop sign or cyclist on their route where there was never one before and you've got an accident.

Hardtail Freak
    Darn! When I used to live in Oakville I would ride Upper Middle road frequently.
    2018 Stanton Slackline 853
    2016 Norco Torrent 7.1
    Gone - 2000 Marin Indian Fire Trail
    Gone - 2001 Brodie Holeshot

mtbr member
    Damn !. I hate those type of news. I hope those two cyclists pull through and be ok soon.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchild View Post
    Damn !. I hate those type of news. I hope those two cyclists pull through and be ok soon.

The two riders work at Cyclepath Oakville. I heard by way of email from the owner of the store that one of them has a broken leg which will need a plate and screws to fix, and although he is in hospital, he is in "stable" condition. The other guy I heard got banged up a bit but should heal. They're both very lucky. I live 10 minutes from the scene of the accident and will think twice about riding on that stretch of road in the future....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm friends with the younger rider that was hit. He has a broken femur and he has undergone successful surgery (to put a rod in) but will be in hospital a couple more days.

Evil Jr.
    Odd circumstances. I wonder if he left to go get his daughter or if she made him go back.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Odd circumstances. I wonder if he left to go get his daughter or if she made him go back.
    The driver is perhaps suffering mild Alzheimer's and was overwhelmed and forgot what they had done were doing until they or the daughter noticed the damage later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The one bike looked like it was absolutely trashed. Is age an excuse? It shouldn't be but it's a bit of a grey area I suppose given the reality of our demographics. A review of old age driver re-testing standards seems appropriate but would be difficult at best from a political point of view. Best wishes to the victims for speedy recovery.

mtbr member

that's it in a nutshell. Driving conditions have changed so

Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    The one bike looked like it was absolutely trashed. Is age an excuse? It shouldn't be but it's a bit of a grey area I suppose given the reality of our demographics. A review of old age driver re-testing standards seems appropriate but would be difficult at best from a political point of view. Best wishes to the victims for speedy recovery.
    much in the last 25 years that older drivers are more dangerous just because the driving conditions are more challenging. Try and restrict geezers on the road and there would be a revolution,

mtbr member
    May 2007
    “ the incident began at around 10 a.m. when an 87-year-old Mississauga man driving westbound “

Broad daylight, sun at back. There is no possibility a reasonable driver could not see the cyclists.

“ collided with two westbound cyclists knocking them both off their bicycles.”

If a motorist hits another motorist from behind, they are automatically deemed at fault.

The cyclists had to have been hit from behind or, less likely, sideswiped.

“driver initially fled the scene, but soon returned and is”

So, the driver left them to die on the side of the road, but returned later to cooperate with the police.

“No charges have been laid at this time.
    The westbound lanes of Upper Middle Road were closed for four and a half hours while police collected evidence at the scene.”

The cops will do anything they can to avoid pressing charges - if you want to murder someone in Ontario it's easy - put them on a bike and hit them with your car. Just say "the cyclist swerved in front of me" and you'll be free as a bird...

We'll see how this turns out, but I'd be very surprised should any consequences come to this hit and run driver.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    much in the last 25 years that older drivers are more dangerous just because the driving conditions are more challenging. Try and restrict geezers on the road and there would be a revolution,
    Not just that, it's impossible and a real "quality of life" issue to get around many of our cities now if you lose your license.

Speaking of the revolution... a bit of humour perhaps.

mtbr member
    Struck from behind. On a perfectly straight road. In broad daylight. With the sun at everyone's back.

Strange, that the "rarest" type of accident seems so common these days.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnikcdn View Post
    “ the incident began at around 10 a.m. when an 87-year-old Mississauga man driving westbound “

Broad daylight, sun at back. There is no possibility a reasonable driver could not see the cyclists.

“ collided with two westbound cyclists knocking them both off their bicycles.”

If a motorist hits another motorist from behind, they are automatically deemed at fault.

The cyclists had to have been hit from behind or, less likely, sideswiped.

“driver initially fled the scene, but soon returned and is”

So, the driver left them to die on the side of the road, but returned later to cooperate with the police.

“No charges have been laid at this time.
    The westbound lanes of Upper Middle Road were closed for four and a half hours while police collected evidence at the scene.”

The cops will do anything they can to avoid pressing charges - if you want to murder someone in Ontario it's easy - put them on a bike and hit them with your car. Just say "the cyclist swerved in front of me" and you'll be free as a bird...

We'll see how this turns out, but I'd be very surprised should any consequences come to this hit and run driver.
    Given one of the cyclist went over the barrier, it suggests more of a side swipe. I have ridden that section of Upper Middle and it is a scary place. It is wide open and cars tend to go very fast. Certainly not a tight area and I can't see why anyone would have a problem seeing a cyclist (no parked cars etc). I will be shocked if he isn't charged. If someone gets that injured, you cant let him off with a slapped hand and taking their licence away. He also left the scene. I feel sorry for someone who loses their mobility, but if he is found at fault, he doesn't deserve to keep driving.

My neighbour saw the aftermath and said that she was convinced someone had died. You could not recognize that that mangled heap was once a bike and they even had a chalked body outline on the road.
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    must be that time of year, roles reversed an elderly cyclist was struck today in Barrie http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/Art...aspx?e=3152074

(try to) be safe out there

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    must be that time of year, roles reversed an elderly cyclist was struck today in Barrie http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/Art...aspx?e=3152074

Rep power = 0. Hmmm...

If you need any tips on how to get started in mountain biking, feel free to ask the members of this forum so that we can provide appropriate guidance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks, ill keep that in mind circlip.

No. Just No.
    Thanks, ill keep that in mind circlip.
    No prob. The forum is here to help you in your time of personal exploration.

A word of advice though. Mountain biking can be a hard sport at times, and it's not everyone's proverbial cup of orange pekoe. If you find yourself in the latter category, don't sweat it. There's lots of other things you may be good at instead if you keep an open mind, like competitive ballroom dancing, or maybe jai alai.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry in advance for the off topic drift happening, but now that you mention it I'm doing this off road bike race at Hardwood Hills Sunday, whats better Clipless pedals or Flats? Also to affix the number plate do they charge by the zip tie?

Keep the rubber side down, I've exceeded my post count for the year. Back to Lurking.....

No. Just No.
    whats better Clipless pedals or Flats? Also to affix the number plate do they charge by the zip tie?
    I don't get it. Are these supposed to be some kind of inside jokes? If yes, I think it's my duty to point out that posting in a public forum in such a way that the information is only understood or intended for a subset of the forum members is quite rude, and perhaps even bordering on insular.

Evil Jr.
    Sorry in advance for the off topic drift happening, but now that you mention it I'm doing this off road bike race at Hardwood Hills Sunday, whats better Clipless pedals or Flats? Also to affix the number plate do they charge by the zip tie?

Keep the rubber side down, I've exceeded my post count for the year. Back to Lurking.....
    Don't stop now; you're on a roll!

If this is your first race, don't sweat it. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids the night before and get a good night's rest. And take it from me, lay off the Jagermeister, beer, red wine and Jack Daniels. Racing with a hangover is not for uninitiated.

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand. About two years ago, an elderly gentleman actually drove down a BIKE PATH (no, not a bike lane) in Dundas and clipped a woman who was walking her dog. No charges were laid. The law treats old people differently than the rest of us.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

No. Just No.
    Anyhow, back to the topic at hand.
    WTF is this obsession with topics? I am going to contact the forum admins to see if they can amalgamate all the threads in this forum into one single mega-thread for continuity. KISS.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    WTF is this obsession with topics? I am going to contact the forum admins to see if they can amalgamate all the threads in this forum into one single mega-thread for continuity. KISS.
    New avatar!

No. Just No.
    New avatar!
    If it's good enough for you, then it's good enough for me. The concept "too much of a good thing" needs to be suspended IMHO whenever we're talking about The Hoff™.

Speaking of which, I am feeling the need to load up my DVD of Babewatch, The Complete 3rd Season for tonight. While some afficiandos prefer the 4th season, I feel that the series' strongest scripts were in season 3, despite the fact that the chicks in skimpy swimsuits were alwayys getting the way just when The Hoff™ was about to deliver his lines. Sadly, this prevented The Hoff™ from displaying his full range of dynamic acting talent.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Speaking of which, I am feeling the need to load up my DVD of Babewatch, The Complete 3rd Season for tonight. While some afficiandos prefer the 4th season, I feel that the series' strongest scripts were in season 3, despite the fact that the chicks in skimpy swimsuits were alwayys getting the way just when The Hoff™ was about to deliver his lines. Sadly, this prevented The Hoff™ from displaying his full range of dynamic acting talent.
    If you haven't yet seen his Comedy Central roast, do it. It's the squirmiest thing ever. He even had his daughters in the audience. Even Pam gets in a few good zingers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

"This poor man was hit right in front of Chase Auto Body, the accident was witnessed by my husband and our 2 other workers that were outside the shop. The victim rode his bike by very often delivering newspapers, he was always on the shoulder of the road,used hand signals and was always very cautious ! it was another very elderly man that hit him and there was no squeeling of tires before the impact, my husband ran to the mans side as he lay on the road in really bad shape. I think this raises another question of at what point should the elderly have their licence taken from them ? Why are they only given an damm written test a the age of 80 ?! It was like the driver didn't even see the bike rider !! The sad part is that the driver will probably on be charged with a traffic violation ! Wow that is sad !"

The 52 year is in critical at Sunnybrook, not good

Evil Jr.
    This comment is also pretty telling:

I drive this road close to everyday and find that many of the cyclists that use it do not observe the traffic laws. Further, it is a very narrow road that makes it almost impossible to get around them if there's oncoming traffic. The rail trail is safe and runs parallel.
    There is a definite lack of driver training when it comes the HTA and cyclists. If there's oncoming traffic, it is UNLAWFUL to pass a cyclist since it's NOT SAFE. Would people try to pass a slow moving car with oncoming traffic?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that each constituency thinks the other doesn't observe the law.

Proactively increasing enforcement of the HTA, within Toronto at any rate, doesn't seem to be an option what with the Ford brothers now publicly musing about striking off strength at the TPS.

The best angle on it that I've come across is the statistics of knock-down accidents. Can we put a number on the at-fault percentages of each group? If there is a statistically significant difference, then the group with the losing record will simply have to suck it up and undertake some form of penance for trying to blame the other group so speciously.

namagomi
    Would people try to pass a slow moving car with oncoming traffic?
    Yes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Its really sad to see this occuring so frequently and i don't believe much light is really shed onto it by bigger media. My girlfriend rides her horse on roadside as well, and people are just as ignorant to a 1 tonne animal with a person riding it as they are to someone on a bike.

But as Electrik stated, people will always do as they please when they are driving as the first thing i was taught and have practiced at the track is people drive for themselves...not for anyone else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Originally Posted by swabag
    must be that time of year, roles reversed an elderly cyclist was struck today in Barrie
    The 52 year is in critical at Sunnybrook, not good
    ???

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2 View Post
    ???
    Maybe the writer is an intern. When I was in school, 30 looked like a *long* way away.

mtbr member
    Report are that the vehicle and cyclist in Barrie were both westbound, suggesting another hit-from behind incident. We'll probably never know, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrie Examiner
    The OPP is reminding cyclists, before entering a roadway to make sure it is safe to do so.
    I might argue that it is never safe to do so.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Space for rent...

Update

Looks like the driver has two charges and his licence is under review.

http://www.insidehalton.com/communit...rticle/1040978
    It's only pain......

mtb wipeout king
    and here cops are wondering why many cyclists would rather pay the fine to ride on the sidewalks

They say I have a problem
    At his age, his license is gone...

It really is not that difficult to get the seniors off the road that should be off the road...It just takes family members that have some balls!

A few years ago my father had an incident...He drove his car into the corner of his house...Did $6000 damage to the car, house was fine

I had known for almost a year that it was time to pull his license, but my two brothers were against it. They thought as long as he stuck to his home town he'd be ok.

So once this happened, I promptly took him to the hospital to make sure he was ok and made sure the doctor was aware that he was showing signs of dementia...The doctor filled out the form and sent it in to the Ministry and his license was gone...Simple as that...

It was hard on my father, but I know that I did the right thing for the safety of everyone else out there...

I shudder to think of the amount of seniors out there with early signs of dementia/alzheimer's that are driving...Immediate families and the medical profession must do a better job of getting them off the road...
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    As soon as I retire from work my license is going in the shredder.

My kids or wife can ferry me around. Or I`ll ride. Driving sucks.

mtbr member
    yet another sad story i read just a few days ago. only 16 yrs old
    http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/A...aspx?e=3204313

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This comment is also pretty telling:

There is a definite lack of driver training when it comes the HTA and cyclists. If there's oncoming traffic, it is UNLAWFUL to pass a cyclist since it's NOT SAFE. Would people try to pass a slow moving car with oncoming traffic?
    It's not unlawful, as long as there is at least 1 metre of space when you pass: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ion2.3.2.shtml

mtbr member
    Pickup trucks in Durham:

Man asks driver who left him in ditch to surrender | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Woman cyclist struck and killed near Claremont | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

It's oddly interesting that mention of these incidents only appeared in the Sun, of all places.

I'm kind of left wondering how many people get run down with no news coverage whatsoever.

mtbr member
    What don't people get about the fact that driving within 6 inches of someone is only 6 inches away from AT LEAST serious injury.

It boggles my mind to think that because some idiots feel I am inconveniencing them by slowing them down that they feel it's ok to put my life in danger and try to squeeze me off the road. If it's not people doing it on purpose then there needs to be more education with driver's licensing to promote safe passing of cyclists. Obviously people just don't F'ing get it as every time I ride I get passed too closely (often when no cars are coming the other way) and I'm far from a busy suburban area and I follow the rules of the road.
    Last edited by akura; 08-19-2011 at 04:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Holy ****, I live in oakville. I'll have to give this a read...

EDIT: Wow, i ride by there almost everyday... Not sure what the hell the cyclists were doing on the road though, the bridge has a paved path and cars going pretty fast in that area.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

namagomi
    Using the broken mirror, investigators have since determined the vehicle was a dark-coloured 2008 Ford F150, XLR or XTR.
    More proof for my pickup truck diver's are all *******s. Dollars to donuts driver was a white 20-40 conservative who "thinks" all cyclists are gay and should ge' off er rds. This is just based on observations of those type against new laws that require 3ft - that is 36 inches folks - minimum safe passing distance. Too bad these guys don't know how to convert from meters to inches and use a ruler because some of them might somehow realize how close 3ft is.