Another Orono Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Another Orono Question

Chad, looking @ the "Oshawa" top map, I see the Thurne Parks Valley C.A., west of "Gasoline Alley". Is mtbing allowed there?
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. What is gasoline valley ?

Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    Chad, looking @ the "Oshawa" top map, I see the Thurne Parks Valley C.A., west of "Gasoline Alley". Is mtbing allowed there?

I never heard of it. I have the book called "Mountain bike guide in Ontario" which list all single tracks in Ontario.

Why is that area called Gasoline valley? is it a dump site ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    Why is that area called Gasoline valley? is it a dump site ?
    It's on the 115/35 combination where there are several gas stations.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    It's on the 115/35 combination where there are several gas stations.
    West of Gas Alley eh'....

That'd be Concession 4, which is mostly all Farm land, in fact aside from Wilmont creek, there is not real area to ride in that I know of.

Now that being said. There is a piece of land that I discovered that appears to be multi use (Crown?) and is marked as such. The lot is located north west however (42 and Concession 5) but isn't near the 115.

Can you be more specific? Google had nothing listed, for that and I' haven't heard of it..

Oh wait.. I know what it may be.. There is a Ganaraska Concervasion area chunk of land in that area that I just remembered about.. Hmm.. I will take a look at it.. maybe tomorrow night.

Chad

PS.. PM me or give my cell a call if you want to ride this week, I'll show you a nice peice of single track that is very nice and always dry no mater how much rain is around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'll head out for a ride now and go check it out.. I've got a bit of sunlight left..

From The Ganaraska Concervation Authority site:

Thurne Parks

Thurne Parks, which consists of 46.52 acres (18.8 ha), was acquired on December 9, 1976. Located in the Municipality of Clarington, it is a great spot for fishing, bird watching and nature photography. How to get there…

Thurne Parks
    Exit Highway 401 at Highway 115/35.
    Travel 6 km to the 4th Concession.
    Exit and go west 1.5 km.
    After crossing Wilmot Creek, parking is located on the south side of the road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Garbage Trail

The GRCA has done a poor job of maintaining the trails.

There are multiple fallen trees (from 2 years at least) blocking most trails.

I dismounted and crossed over and under 10 trees each way.

The trails have some good potential if they were maintained, but they may not support riding too nicely, the soil is very soft and errodes very easily in some places. Armouring and gating can do some good work though.

All in all, the trail is not a good place to ride,

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There are so few good trails left in Ontario. They have fallen to disrepair. GRCA trail is not maintained properly. Durham forest so far is doing well. I hope albion hills remain in top condition.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    There are so few good trails left in Ontario. They have fallen to disrepair. GRCA trail is not maintained properly. Durham forest so far is doing well. I hope albion hills remain in top condition.
    Durham is already suffering. People don't know how to use their brakes properly (look at the erosion in some areas) and cheater lines are getting more obvious, worn and increasing in number. There are a few trails that need to be closed and/or rerouted but who is doing trail work there now that Uxbridge Cycling Club is gone?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad-WL
    West of Gas Alley eh'....
    PM me or give my cell a call if you want to ride this week, I'll show you a nice peice of single track that is very nice and always dry no mater how much rain is around.
    I'm on nights the next 2 weeks. I'll PM you on the 15th about riding that week.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    Durham is already suffering. People don't know how to use their brakes properly (look at the erosion in some areas) and cheater lines are getting more obvious, worn and increasing in number. There are a few trails that need to be closed and/or rerouted but who is doing trail work there now that Uxbridge Cycling Club is gone?
    When I was riding in Durham/Glen Major I called a few people about maintenance including the trail captian a few times, left messages and never heard back, I've moved further east and have stopped riding there and never heard much about it.

Judging from the sanitation done on the trails at Glen Major their not MTB friendly.

Errosion is part of trail usage, hiking, horses, and bikes all cause errosion. Part of the key is to minimize fall line trails, close trails with errorion problems and hide the best single track to you and a few friends.. whoops, did I say that out loud?

Maintenance needs to be an active approach and an ongoing thing, but concervation authorities don't seem to have the resources to do any sort of maintenance and clubs are hard to organize.

Just a few thoughs because it's raining when I should be riding. Find out who owns/maintains the trails you ride and offer your services, if they don't accept thats their problem..

Chad