Another ? for the Misfit crowd- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Another ? for the Misfit crowd

I'm in the market for a rigid 9er as a versatile do-it-all-but-the-gnarl bike. I'd like to be able to run it SS as a winter bike and then go with a 2x9 set up in the summer months for farting around cottage backroads etc and towing the baby trailer. It's pretty much come down to the Surly Karate Monkey and the Dissent. From what I've read the Dissent is a more lively frame with an in-the-bike feel. All great stuff, but I've looked around a bit and haven't found any pics of geared Dissents online. Also, it just doesn't seem that folks use the Dissent for as wide a variety of riding - are there particular reasons for this? Frame geometry perhaps?
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

humber river advocate
    as a gnarl bike i would be very nervous with this frame,,,

sounds like the bike you want is a Paradox

they got a few frames at cyclesolutions in toronto

the transition trans am29 http://www.transitionbikes.com
    is not a bad bike also...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Lemmy Rules!
    I've never seen a 2x9 Misfit but have seen several people run it as 1 x 9. Misfit psycles sells a replacement drop-out which incorporates a derailleur hanger.

Running 1x9 would also make it easier for switching over from ss to geared as well.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    this would be a do-it-all-BUT-the-gnarl bike, for the gnarl I've got a Norco Shinobi.

I was just curious as to the versatility of the Dissent frame. I know that the Karate Monkey can be built a number of ways (commuter/light-touring/mtb), does the Dissent lend itself as well to that sort of thing? From what I see there are no derailleur cable stops, does that mean running full-length housing ziptied to the frame? I would probably need two chainrings up front for the summer as the bike would spend a decent amount of time as a laid back tourer...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Evil Jr.
    The diSSent only comes with cable mounts for the brakes so running it 1x9 does require full-length housing. AFAIK, nothing beats the Karate Monkey for ultimate versatility but never having ridden one, I can't speak to how it handles.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for confirming the cable-running situation - not ideal but not a deal-breaker either. I'd rather a bike that's stupid-fun to ride than one that's perfectly cable-routed.

The KM is indeed said to be king of versatility, I'm just afraid it would ride similarly to the Redline Monocog Flight I had a couple of years back. Felt like I was sitting atop a tank just waiting for an over-the-bars experience.

Do any shops carry Misfit, or is there any other way to demo the bike?
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Evil Jr.
    I'm not sure what the shop situation is right now but if you get in touch with Peter, he usually has a few demos lying around... and with headquarters at Joyride now, you'd get to try it over a bit of everything even if the weather sucks!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I run a 1x9 as my race set up, 32 in front and 11/32 in the back. I'm currently running SS for the winter/spring and may do a few races as SS but will go back to 1x9 setup for most races. Didn't even think twice about the cable running, not an issue with zip ties and doesn't look messy.

You don't need a 2x9 setup, especially in Ontario... just throw a 11/36 in the back and you'll be able to ride anything.

Craig has been using his Misfit as an everything mtb including as a trail-a-bike to haul around his 4-year-old and all types of trails including Buckwallow.

Just contact Peter directly and I'm sure he'll hook you up with a demo to try out.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    Craig has been using his Misfit as an everything mtb including as a trail-a-bike to haul around his 4-year-old and all types of trails including Buckwallow.
    Ah yes, this one (a 2006, I believe) will become the dedicated kid-trailer hauler come Spring but for now, it's still my go-to snow bike.

mtbr member
    Mounting a F der without cable stops is not so simple as a rear since most of them (save for newer direct mount models) do not have a built in housing stop. That is, they receive only the bare inner cable while the housing must be stopped out somewhere else on the frame. There are some clamp-on aluminum housing stops available, but if 2x front rings is a dealbreaker, looking for a frame that is already f der friendly will probably save some headaches.

Edit: Also if you already own a baby trailer, maybe look at the hitch/receiver that mounts to the frame and see if it will work/have clearance issues with whatever frame you are considering. For instance, I would think a Chariot style mount might complicate tension adjustment on the horizontal dropouts on a KM.
    Last edited by veteran_youth; 01-03-2012 at 08:33 AM.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Seconding what Louda says, a 2x isn't needed in Ontario, I have a Misfit setup as a 1x8, 32up front - with an 11/30cassette.

mtbr member
    Can't comment as to the geared dissent question part, but as far as its' versatility goes and use for different kinds of riding - I would say definitely YES.
    There's a number of people here that use their misfits for xc racing, even solo endurance events, on all kinds of courses. There are some of us that ride our misfits (most rigid and ss) at Hilton Falls (with some of the most technical trails in GTA) and love it. I never thought that the bike was a limiting factor there in any way. Granted, we may not be dropping or jumping the few higher wooden features, but that's where your "gnar" bike comes in (guess they're not really versatile then, by some people's standards... Then again, some people it seems would feel nervous anywhere without a foot of suspension under them.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thought about a Trek Sawyer? There are some great deals on the 2011's right now.
    Comes 2X10, sliding dropouts for single speed.
    Looks like a great bike for fooling around on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for all the input folks, much appreciated.

I agree that for most trails in Ontario a 1x9 or 1x10 drivetrain is plenty, however it's likely that this bike will see more gravel/doubletrack/backroad than singletrack so being able to run a double up front would be quite useful. Having ridden SS for a couple of winters I can certainly appreciate the fun in it, however it's not particularly practical for me to have a dedicated SS rig.

I'm going to take a look at some other options - any recommendations for someone in my boat?
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

More than a little slow
    Can I tell you that I lust after a Salsa El Mariachi? And that you might like one too?
    I also wouldn't mind a long term relationship with either a Surly Troll or an Ogre (one of those is only a 26r, which would suit me fine)
    Haven't ridden any of them, although I've spent a long time looking at the geometry of the EM and I think it would work fine for me.
    I'm starting to creep myself out here, so I'd better leave for a bit.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thought about a Salsa EM but just don't dig the look. Whenever you're ready to creep yourself out some more, take a look at this silly deal - Salsa El Mariachi 29er SS

I'm looking at the Niner SIR9...in kermit green...soo...green.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat