Another cyclist hit thread :(- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Another cyclist hit thread :(

I commuted home from work yesterday, a nice 50 km ride from Markham to Uxbridge, with some trails mixed in. This morning my wife shares this article with me about a cyclist who was seriously injured in a hit and run a week ago heading southbound on York/Durham Line around Wagg Road, part of where I rode last night.

I sold my road bike a couple days ago with the intent of buying a CX bike so that I can spend more time on trails and quiet gravel roads and less on pavement because of these types of stories.

Keep your eyes open for a black tow truck with rear dualies and "Free Tow and Scrap" written on it. If you see it let the police know.

Stay safe out there.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Its getting bad out in Durham.

I literally have about 3-4km before I get to quiet road and paths, but every time I'm on that road, I'm getting buzzed or honked at regardless of what I'm doing. I had a fairly close encounter with a truck the other night while making a left turn, I thought he was going to bump me.

I donno what it is man, but people just F'n mad lately.

/thread isn't about me... just saying, people need to chill out
    //truck also had trucknuts on it.... much lols ensued.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Interview with the rider hit. Just earned his elite card with Triathlon Canada.

A meteoric rise and very hard fall - Slowtwitch.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post

I sold my road bike a couple days ago with the intent of buying a CX bike so that I can spend more time on trails and quiet gravel roads and less on pavement because of these types of stories.

Stay safe out there.
    Good call on that one. I'm going more with "gravel grinding" for that very reason (well, that and I really enjoy it more than road work anyway!).

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DrugStoreCowboy View Post
    Good call on that one. I'm going more with "gravel grinding" for that very reason (well, that and I really enjoy it more than road work anyway!).
    I couldn't help noticing the other day what a commitment to e-bikes gears bike shop has made. When I read through their article, they noted that road sales which had been their bread and butter for years have in fact been in decline for some time, alongside the decline of lance armstrong, hence their extra motivation to look forward in the industry to the next thing. However, even if pro road cycling cleans up and the casual fans return, no one is going to be fixing the dangerous reality of the open road in North America any time soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    I couldn't help noticing the other day what a commitment to e-bikes gears bike shop has made. When I read through their article, they noted that road sales which had been their bread and butter for years have in fact been in decline for some time, alongside the decline of lance armstrong, hence their extra motivation to look forward in the industry to the next thing. However, even if pro road cycling cleans up and the casual fans return, no one is going to be fixing the dangerous reality of the open road in North America any time soon.
    It's very unfortunate, but you are correct.

mtbr member
    This is quite interesting. When I lived in Ontario I used to ride the roads near Belleville every Spring while the snow cleared on the trail. That and quite a few km riding to an from the trails. I never had a close call. I lived in Edmonton for 8 years and commuted by bike a lot. A couple of people honked or yelled, and a couple drove too close but overall the land of the jacked up truck was quite courteous. I live in Cumberland, BC now and don't spend much time on the road now but drivers in the area seem ok with bikes. Stay safe. On the road the serious risk is much more than on the dirt.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    The sad reality is that currently Ontario seems to want to maintain it's impression of the deadliest province to be a cyclist in. But you know....millions on more bike lanes will mystically solve that.