Another Algonquin Park Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Another Algonquin Park Question

Today I snowmobiled up to Lake St. Peter & where we skirt the boundary of the park just north of the Kingscote Lake access road, I saw a MNR sign for mtb's. Anyone know about this trail? I thought the Minnesing & Old Railway trails were the only ones in the Park.

This trail is off the Peterson Rd. north of Harcourt or west of Maynooth.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    I did a canoe trip at that end of the park a few years ago, and became aware of the trail's existence back then, but I've never ridden it.

It shows up on the Algonquin Canoe Routes map of year 2000 and onward. It's called the Byers Lake Mountain Bike Trail, and it's a 6.5 km/one way (13 km out and back) trail described in the tabloid paper as being of moderate difficulty.

There's also a 150 metre side trail at Gut Rapids on the York River that apparently has some interesting scenery to look at, though it becomes a footpath at that point.

I don't know if I'd make a special trip out there just for that trail, but if you happen to be out there anyway, it might be worthwhile. And of course, Haliburton Forest is right next door.

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm in Apsley most weekends & that part of Algonquin is only about an hour away.

After I posted the question I also realized I had forgotten about the old CNR railbed that runs thru Achray campground. Is cycling allowed there? The Barron's Canyon is nearby & in itself is quite the sight.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    I can see the abandoned rail line on the map, but I can't tell if it's ridable or not. I couldn't find any information about it in the park tabloid.

I suggest that you call the park office if you intend to make your way up there for a ride, just in case it turns out that you're not allowed to.

I just checked to see where Apsley is...

If I were you, I would seriously consider checking out Haliburton Forest, if you haven't already.

Over 300 km of trails and roads, something for all skill levels, and closer to Apsley than Algonquin Park.

Mike

mtbr member

where to stay

Planning on heading up to Haliburton Forest this summer, can you reccomend some places to stay, things to do etc. (besides the wolves and riding)

cheers

They say I have a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Planning on heading up to Haliburton Forest this summer, can you reccomend some places to stay, things to do etc. (besides the wolves and riding)

cheers
    Stay right at the park...They rent rustic cabins of all sizes...They have kitchen and washroom facilities and are all you really need...My wife and I went up there a few years ago and the riding was awesome...

The cabins are rented on a per person charge and are quite reasonable...

You should check out their web site...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Camping at Big East Lake

If you're cheap and looking to stay up there, there are some free camping sites on a canoe route (crown land) right at Big East lake on 118 (East of 35).

There are 2 or 3 walk in sites that are fairly nice, and more if you know the back roads.

I think this is about 20min from the forest.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have issues w/ the Haliburton Forest & I'll leave it @ that.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    We camped at Haliburton Forest also, but in tents, not cabins. Site fee was $13 per night.

If you plan to stay there, book now. There are only about a dozen campsites in the park available for short term use, and they book up very quickly. The remaining 300 sites are on some kind of annual lease as I understand it.

As for other things to do, check the web site. Outside of the forest itself, I'm not sure what else is around there except for Algonquin Park. You'll be at the south end though, and there isn't as much in the way of hiking trails and stuff as you find on the Hwy. 60 corridor.

Rev....

You don't have to elaborate on your last comment if you choose not to, but I'm curious to know what your issues were.

Mike

mtbr member

cabins

I myself dont mind camping, actually prefer it ...however the 'other half' prefers the more bear proof cabin and rolls over leaves....

anyone stay at any of the B&B's in the area?

And what's with the Canopy tour price?? OUCH!!

Hey Rev..youre dangling a big carrot in front of our curious noses!!! and Im Hungry!!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    This is the PM I sent pucker factor:

Peter S. has in the past campaigned about taxes, complaining about how much his "farmland" as he considers his land costs him. IMO, his land is a business, which is what MPAC considered it.

He formed a property owners group that resulted in snowmobile trails in Haliburton being closed for part of last winter.

I find it offensive that he would convince other people to help him fight to lower his taxes. If he can't afford the taxes, sell the property.

If it was 3 or 4 thousand acres of vacant land, I wouldn't have a problem w/ him trying to lower his taxes. He rents out to trailer owners, the various hunting camps, sells day passes for snowmobilers and cyclists. I shouldn't forget the canopy tour or wolf enclosure either. IMO, this is a business, not a farm.

Addendum: My parents own 136 acres of managed forest. There are regulations as to what they can do w/ the property. I would imagine if they tried to operate like the Forest, they would be taxed as a business.

Hope this clears things up. (and the end of my rant)

Revrnd
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    And what's with the Canopy tour price?? OUCH!!
    Cheers
    The canopy tour is fun. I can't remember how much it cost but it's pretty interesting. We went thanksgiving weekend about two years ago and the colours were nice. It rained so the biking trails sucked though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor
    I can see the abandoned rail line on the map, but I can't tell if it's ridable or not. I couldn't find any information about it in the park tabloid.

I suggest that you call the park office if you intend to make your way up there for a ride, just in case it turns out that you're not allowed to.
    I got a email back from the MNR today: I am sorry but mountain biking is not allowed on the old railway bed at Achray. However you can bike on the hydro line which is 18 kms long or on the road that runs into Achray. Enjoy your visit to the park.

About the Byers Lake Trail, this is what is printed in The Explorer's Guide To Algonquin Park by Michael Runtz.
    The Byers Lake Mountain Bike Trail, a 13 kilometer round trip trail, is not particularly difficult as it follows an old logging road. Approximately two thirds of the way to Byers Lake a short, looped hiking trail leads to the east. Bikes are prohibited on this, the Gut Rapids Spur Hiking Trail, which leads to the York River. At Gut Rapids the river flows through a steep, narrow canyon, a must-see for anyone using the bike trail.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada