Allegrippis Trails - Raystown PA [o]- Mtbr.com
    Muskoka

Allegrippis Trails - Raystown PA [o]

Allegrippis Trails is one of the top ranked XC trail systems in North America, with over 30 miles of single track designed by IMBA specifically for mtbiking and built by the US Army Corp of Engineers. These rolling and swooping trails are in the Allegheny Mountains around Raystown Lake Recreational Area, and there are great camp grounds right close by the trail heads. A 5:15am start from Muskoka in central Ontario got me to Raystown Lake PA and set up in Seven Points at Ridge Camp by 2:30pm. I lost a half hour as border security searched my vehicle & camper, confiscating my contraband of 3 oranges, 1 green pepper, and 1 tomato!
    I set up camp and headed over to the Dark Hollow trail head, which was just up and around the corner from me...

Rode Dark Hollow> Shade> Dirt Surfer> Barrel Bay, and back up Dark Hollow. I passed on Allegheny Trail because I didn't have much left in the tank after being on the road for over 9 hrs, then riding these hills on the grand total of a bowl of oatmeal, 1 hb egg, 2 bananas, 1 apple, and half a peanut butter/cheese/honey sandwich all day. Headed back to camp to chill & crash...

The morning was fogged in, and so was I! Finally got it together and hit the trails around 11am, just as the fog was lifting to reveal blue skies and puffy clouds. Daytime temps were ~85F entire time I was here. Rode Buck> Doe> Osprey> Hydro Loop CW> Eagle> back to the trail head via Doe & Buck. Buckwallow meets Buck...

Met and chatted with this lucky dude who lives 5 minutes from the trails. He also showed me how it should be done...

I called it a ride, since my friend Evan was on his way out from Philly. Evan is less than half my age, so I really needed to save some legs for the morrow. Explored the Raystown Lake area for the rest of the afternoon...

Meanwhile Evan had arrived, pitched his tent, and pulled out a great dinner of grilled pork loin/veggie shish kabobs plus couscous from his cooler...awesome! We were on the trails by 9 am next morning, riding Buck> Allie> Grippis> Ridge> Ray's Revenge> Sidewinder> Osprey> Hydro Loop CCW> Osprey> Doe> Buck...

Here's a crazy pic Evan made with his Samsung Note 3...

By late afternoon Evan left to return to Philly, leaving me to relax for the evening and dream about coming back someday!
    Next morning I was on the road by 5:30, back home in Muskoka just past 2pm. Awesome trip!!!
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Those really are fantastic trails. It's hard to convey in pics just how flowy they are. The ups are long, but have rollers on the way, so you can almost pump your way up the hill. And just when you think you can't make it, you head back down again. Perfect singlespeed stuff. My favourite day of the Transylvania Epic and very different from any other riding around there (loooong ups and many pointy rocks). That's a lot of driving for such a short trip though! Tussey Ridge was pretty spectacular too - it a totally different way.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Those really are fantastic trails. It's hard to convey in pics just how flowy they are. The ups are long, but have rollers on the way, so you can almost pump your way up the hill. And just when you think you can't make it, you head back down again. Perfect singlespeed stuff. My favourite day of the Transylvania Epic and very different from any other riding around there (loooong ups and many pointy rocks). That's a lot of driving for such a short trip though! Tussey Ridge was pretty spectacular too - it a totally different way.
    Agreed, pics don't really convey the rolling flow, and plus one on the climbs...that is just how I felt. The driving was fine actually, I only stopped for gas and to pee. Much better than the 14 hrs I drove in pouring rain coming back from Bay of Fundy a few weeks ago!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    I lost a half hour as border security searched my vehicle & camper, confiscating my contraband of 3 oranges, 1 green pepper, and 1 tomato!
    You're probably on "The List" now. Next time you prep for a USA trip try not to have nightmares about the sound of a latex glove snapping on to a border agent's wrist! Nice pics as always, looks like a great place.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    You're probably on "The List" now. Next time you prep for a USA trip try not to have nightmares about the sound of a latex glove snapping on to a border agent's wrist! Nice pics as always, looks like a great place.
    LOL! If they put me on for that, it must be one F'n long list!!! They were quite nice and polite about it actually. One agent also drives a Crosstrek, and didn't know there is an OEM trailer hitch available. He was quite interested in this car/camper combo!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

No. Just No.
    They were quite nice and polite about it actually. One agent also drives a Crosstrek, and didn't know there is an OEM trailer hitch available. He was quite interested in this car/camper combo!
    That's just their technique with some chit chat to put you at ease so that you don't clench as much when the glove goes on.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    That looks like an awesome trip. If I had the room, I would definitely look into a small camper like that. It would be perfect for those kinds of trips. I just don't have the room at my house and storage fees around the city are ridiculous even for outdoor storage.
    Burnt Norton

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    That looks like an awesome trip. If I had the room, I would definitely look into a small camper like that. It would be perfect for those kinds of trips. I just don't have the room at my house and storage fees around the city are ridiculous even for outdoor storage.
    Yep, I'm lovin' this little camper!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka

Last but not least...

I do want to mention the wonderful family camped across the lane from me. They live about 1.5 hrs from Raystown Lake and camp here often to mostly boat, fish, swim,and hike. Mom and dad early 40's, 3 boys from pre-teen to early teens, and 2 older teenage daughters. Mom looked like she was just out of college herself, you would never think she has had 5 kids! All were very engaged and engaging...so nice to see at a time when youth are mostly walking about like zombies looking at their smart phones. In the evening they brought over firewood for Evan and I, and even lit the fire for us!! Then they made for each of us something called a "Mountain Pizza Pie", which is essentially 2 pieces of bread with pizza sauce and whatever toppings grilled over the fire in something similar to a clam shell waffle iron. The evening before I left, the dad brought me a loaf of home made zucchini bread, which was just DELISH!!... and I consumed big chunks of it on my drive home.
    A big thank you to them, American hospitality and generosity at it's finest!!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    looks like a place worth checking out.
    thanks for posting the pics
    the trailer also got my interest.
    i've been looking for something smaller to tow behind a 5 cylinder VW golf.
    i've also been looking at the Fleetwood Neon tent trailer.nice and small.
    problem is they haven't made them in about 7 years.
    found some on line , mostly in the states.
    Team Van Go

the older I get the better I was

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    looks like a place worth checking out.
    thanks for posting the pics
    the trailer also got my interest.
    i've been looking for something smaller to tow behind a 5 cylinder VW golf.
    i've also been looking at the Fleetwood Neon tent trailer.nice and small.
    problem is they haven't made them in about 7 years.
    found some on line , mostly in the states.
    Here is a great resource for info on all things related to small campers....

Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers ? Index page

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Those really are fantastic trails. It's hard to convey in pics just how flowy they are.
    This might help...
    <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/27856038?color=f0ec00" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/27856038">Allegrippis Trail - PA</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/videotrailrevews">VideoTrailReviews.Com</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

9 lives
    Looks like a nice trip. Very pretty landscape and well groomed trails. Thanks for sharing pics of your adventure
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Looks like a nice trip. Very pretty landscape and well groomed trails. Thanks for sharing pics of your adventure
    Cyclelicious, that reminds me....This entire Raystown Lake Recreational area is meticulously maintained, there is ZERO garbage anywhere!!!
    Very impressive! And only garbage I saw on the trails in 2.5 days of riding was 1 energy bar wrapper, I was kicking myself afterwards for not stopping to pick it up!!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    thanks for the info BCD
    Team Van Go

the older I get the better I was

mtbr member
    After putting these trails on my list of places to get to, the opportunity came around when it was our turn to pick the location of my wife’s family reunion. We had campsites booked right on the lake which was great for the families. The trails are definitely worth the trip with any of the climbs paying off great dividends with fun curvy flowy downhills. The trails are pretty tame which is great for an 11 and 9 year old. They can ride all the same trail as Mom and Dad just at a slower pace. For families and non riders there are lots to do on the water and rentals close by. We spent a couple days stand up paddle boarding, and skiing and tubing behind a pontoon boat we rented. Too bad you missed berry season. We were able to fill our bellies with red raspberries trailside mid ride without stepping off the trail!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for sharing your trip with us, BCD. I feel another road trip coming on!! Would only be about a 6-7 hour drive from my place. Looks like it would be worth the drive
    High on Life

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl View Post
    Thanks for sharing your trip with us, BCD. I feel another road trip coming on!! Would only be about a 6-7 hour drive from my place. Looks like it would be worth the drive
    Yep..at first I thought I was nuts driving that far to ride, but it was so worth it!! Hope to repeat if all goes well

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by ospreypacks View Post
    We (Osprey Packs) look forward to our annual trip to Raystown Lake for the DirtRag DirtFest event. This year we filmed a video out there promoting the Allegrippis trail system and our Viper/Verve packs. Here is a link for any one that wants to see some good trail footage including a blast down Osprey Trail:

Trail Series - Allegrippis Trails, Raystown Lake, PA - YouTube
    That is a sweet little vid, I love the caterpillar climbing the tree. I think they sell Osprey pacs in Muskoka Outfitters near my home. Are the pacs named after the trail by any chance? Dirt Fest looks great, will have to dig into that a bit. I think I will add your vid to my thread on my home forum too....Eastern Canada

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Made it today! What a place. The trails are designed so well, it's really hard to describe. There were times I'd see the trail ascending but you'd barely noticed you were climbing as long as you were carrying your momentum through the small little dips. Then the downhills were perfect, very little brake, just fun, flowy with the occasional pedal. Views weren't half bad either.

Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member

DirtRags DIRTFEST 2015

Just returned from here. Awesome trail system in immaculate condition. Attended Dirtrag magazine Dirtfest. 3000 rider strong. It throws tons of money at the trails. Left Orillia at noon. And overnight in Clearfield PA 1 hour from trails. Stretched legs for a ride in Ellicottville NY on the way. Biggest expo and demo bike area I had seen with bike shuttles on buses so you can explore tons of trails. You can camp in expo area but party and sells out quick, or house boat! We , 11 year old son and I camped at 7 points. Be carful of rangers. 1" of tire out of place gets u $50 +ticket. And they like to write. Be prepared to climb and climb, but flowy up and quick flowy down. Great place for a road trip to or to stop at for a couple days on way further south. Marked trails better than most roads. Pic 1 top of ridge trail, long but gentle steady climb, can roll fast rollers down the lake, and where expo area was or return. #2 Hydro cut trail , that's how climbs are, most machine made up contours of hills with no huge steeps. Other than roads around campgrounds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Allegrippis Trails - Raystown PA [o]-image.jpg  

Allegrippis Trails - Raystown PA [o]-image.jpg  

Last edited by wasgagorider; 06-01-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by wasgagorider View Post
    Just returned from here. Awesome trail system in immaculate condition. Attended Dirtrag magazine Dirtfest. 3000 rider strong. It throws tons of money at the trails. Left Orillia at noon. And overnight in Clearfield PA 1 hour from trails. Stretched legs for a ride in Ellicottville NY on the way. Biggest expo and demo bike area I had seen with bike shuttles on buses so you can explore tons of trails. You can camp in expo area but party and sells out quick, or house boat! We , 11 year old son and I camped at 7 points. Be carful of rangers. 1" of tire out of place gets u $50 +ticket. And they like to write. Be prepared to climb and climb, but flowy up and quick flowy down. Great place for a road trip to or to stop at for a couple days on way further south. Marked trails better than most roads.
    Nice! I hope to get back to Allegrippis this year, probably in late July. I would also like to read your impressions of the Ellicottville trails. They have been recommended to me a few times but they don't seem to be promoted very well, detailed info, pics and vids seem to be non-existent.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member

I might help with E'ville info.

Nice! I hope to get back to Allegrippis this year, probably in late July. I would also like to read your impressions of the Ellicottville trails. They have been recommended to me a few times but they don't seem to be promoted very well, detailed info, pics and vids seem to be non-existent.
    have been riding the trails here for 15 years or so. WYNMBA has some info on their site. The Ellicottville area isn't that well known but the trails are really well built and there are lots of them. I think they still have one night a week for trail building. Elevation from bottom to top is about 700 feet, and if you need any help down there, Dennis at Bike and Bean is the best source.

mtbr member
    We did stop at bike and Bean on the way down, bought a map for the trip back up on Monday. Dennis showed us some road access routes at top of the hill, as with 11 yr old a climb straight up was not a hilite. Unfortunately we left Rayston midday Sunday due to torenent of rain all night and still going on. They preferred everyone stay off trails and most 3000 + we're leaving. So we made it back up to Ellicottville at appx 2 p.m. Followed one of the 7 km rough park roads just south of town around back to top. Didn't see another soul up there at first. We rode across the top easier trail, mud and very many roots, similar to any of the older rooted wore out at Buckwallow. It obviously had also rained very hard there the day before! We struggled a bit with slick mud trails but will plan another trip there for sure. Also want to next year do the Kingdom trails in Vermont? Not sure if it worked but attached one shot of Ellicottville trail. Btw on that, that bike store a burrito stand advice counter and repair/ rental / shop only. Disappointed there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Allegrippis Trails - Raystown PA [o]-image.jpg  

Muskoka
    Yep it was a toss up if I was going to go Kingdom Trails or back to Allegrippis this year. I've pretty much decided on Allegrippis because I enjoyed the trails so much last year. Kingdom can wait until another time. Re Ellicotville roots...I'm not crazy about riding lots of roots and rock...I can do that at home any day of the week, I live 5 minutes from Buckwallow.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasgagorider View Post
    We did stop at bike and Bean on the way down, bought a map for the trip back up on Monday. Dennis showed us some road access routes at top of the hill, as with 11 yr old a climb straight up was not a hilite. Unfortunately we left Rayston midday Sunday due to torenent of rain all night and still going on. They preferred everyone stay off trails and most 3000 + we're leaving. So we made it back up to Ellicottville at appx 2 p.m. Followed one of the 7 km rough park roads just south of town around back to top. Didn't see another soul up there at first. We rode across the top easier trail, mud and very many roots, similar to any of the older rooted wore out at Buckwallow. It obviously had also rained very hard there the day before! We struggled a bit with slick mud trails but will plan another trip there for sure. Also want to next year do the Kingdom trails in Vermont? Not sure if it worked but attached one shot of Ellicottville trail. Btw on that, that bike store a burrito stand advice counter and repair/ rental / shop only. Disappointed there.
    just to be fair it is a little hard to review a destination with one short ride and after a heavy rain. I am not sure where you rode but some trails, (older trails) do have off camber roots that make for difficult riding when they are wet. But there has to be hundreds of miles of trails up behind Holimont and Holiday Valley and more in Allegheny and also Golden. Dennis is very familiar with the trails, and is very helpful if you need a bike fixed, or directions. I hope you have another chance to ride there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    just to be fair it is a little hard to review a destination with one short ride and after a heavy rain. I am not sure where you rode but some trails, (older trails) do have off camber roots that make for difficult riding when they are wet. But there has to be hundreds of miles of trails up behind Holimont and Holiday Valley and more in Allegheny and also Golden. Dennis is very familiar with the trails, and is very helpful if you need a bike fixed, or directions. I hope you have another chance to ride there.
    Did mention arrived at 2 p.m. After riding down south and trip up, only did couple short trails.( obvious not Whole system review implied) (would name but trail markings were absent and from pull off where were parked) , trail was hard to locate. So markings not that great on that part. Did mention will return, so when we do I will re ask Dennis for further great advice to confirm , and yes as stated not a full bike shop as expected but advice and repair ( likely very good ) or rental.

mtbr member
    [. Did mention will return, so when we do I will re ask Dennis for further great advice to confirm , and yes as stated not a full bike shop as expected but advice and repair ( likely very good ) or rental.[/QUOTE]

good luck on your next visit. It would be good to have some input if a rider with you would not want the more difficult trails. The trails are mostly poorly marked, agreed, and the trails map is at best a guide. Still there are some great rides waiting.

mtbr member
    As a side note to this.

Before doing my trip to Pennsylvania in early may and then hitting Ellicotville on the way home, I downloaded the MTB project app and paid the $25 fee for maps. I can download them onto my phone at home then use the GPS to locate me on the trail network. I did have a data plan on my trip, so not 100% convinced it would have worked with my data off, but overall it worked really, really well.
    Straight outta Rossland