Albion Hills new single track- Mtbr.com
    LBS Manager

Albion Hills new single track

It is great the best section they have. I always loved riding there with all the fast trails but this new section and the outher new section (not yet marked) make it even better. You should all go and check it out.

mtbr member
    What do you mean by "the other new section not yet marked"? Where is it? I know Albion really well and I only know of one new section they opened for 2005.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

LBS Manager

off the double track

You know the double track that goes up to the point where you look out over the farms? Just before the long straight away leading up to that piont look to your right there is a new single track that is realy bumpy. It looks like it will be part of the black trail when they get around to marking it. It exits back onto the double track just past the look out over the farms that I mentioned earlier. It is kind of hard to spot so slow down when aproching this area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    You know the double track that goes up to the point where you look out over the farms? Just before the long straight away leading up to that piont look to your right there is a new single track that is realy bumpy. It looks like it will be part of the black trail when they get around to marking it. It exits back onto the double track just past the look out over the farms that I mentioned earlier. It is kind of hard to spot so slow down when aproching this area.

Hi Guys,

Johnny, that section your talking about is not new at all?? I know that single track entrance very well and it is not new. That is referred to as "Tea Cup" and has been around for a few years now. The new sections they put in this year were for the O cup and in relation to "Tea Cup, it would be west of it. The new section contains a lot of really hard up hills. A bugger of a challenge!

I am pretty sure that is what your talking about. I have been riding Albion every week for as long as i can remember and I even help with some of the trail building in there.

LBS Manager

Its well before the tea cup

and it is new the ground is not even packed down yet. It is before you come to the look out not after.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Is Albion crazybusy on the weekends?

LBS Manager

Not normaly

Even with alot of people there the trail never seems busy. Everyone gets spaced out nicely.

mtbr member
    Well, I will keep an eye out for this section. Thanks for the info.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

LBS Manager

Did you find it?

just checking to see if you found it.

some kind of hero...
    I found it today, just as you described... A bit bumpy yet, but it has good potential. Nice...

Thanks for the heads-up!
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    Yep, this Sunday I saw the entry to that piece of single track but did not take it because I was on a mission. This Sunday I attempted to go for a 47 km ride. This means 2 loops of the 23.5 km run which is the entire black arrow run. It took me 3 hours and 40 minutes. The climbs nearly killed me.

Speaking of climbs, do you guys agree that climb the Shack is the hardest? I think it is called Monte Ruppel Revenge. After this climb you have some single track, pass near that bridge and then you get to the long Grunt Climb. I climbed Monte Ruppels Revenge on my first loop and almost had it on the second one. One out of two times that climb gets me when I slip my tires.

Anyway, I just though I share my Sunday ride. The torrential rain at the end of my ride was unpleasant, but otherwise a great day.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

suck it trebeK
    I rode the new stuff a week ago, and it's awesome! The part I rode is up in the hills around the double walking paths with the turtle/rabbit signs on them. Not sure if there is more?

It's a little rough because it's so new, but it flows so nicely! It's like a rollercoaster.

I'm curious to know where else there are new areas, I only stumbled on this part by accident (even though I knew there was new stuff somewhere).

Cheers

EDIT: yes, the sugar shack climb is the hardest they have!
    I also got caught there in the rain on Sunday, it was hailing too!

mtbr member
    sstaurus,

I hope I explain this properly: the new 2005 single track is right after the Tea Cup section. As you come out of it and turn right on a double track fire road, you have to take the black arrow immediately on your left and go over a very rocky section. After that you turn a sharp right and you are again on double track moving South along Duffy's Lane. Within 50 meters or so you will see another black arrow on your left. Take it. You will cross Duffy's Lane (a dirt road) and then you go over a bridge (when you come out of that new section you will be taking the same bridge back). I would rate the new single track as technically advanced. Experienced riders will sail through without blinking an eye. Novice riders will be walking their bikes in a few sections. Out of shape riders will curse the 4-5 tough climbs. The single track sections are comparable technically with the Summer Solstice Finale single track, by the way.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    I would rate the new single track as technically advanced. Experienced riders will sail through without blinking an eye. Novice riders will be walking their bikes in a few sections. Out of shape riders will curse the 4-5 tough climbs.
    Thanks for the heads-up! Experienced, but out of shape.

Note to self - don't do this route..... yet.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

suck it trebeK
    Hmmm....crossing Duffy's Lane you say? I thought the Tea Cup was on the other side of Albion? Oh well, have to do a lil explorin then. Thanks.

mtbr member

new singletrack

Ok guys,

I finally found this new single track your all talking about. But Johnny, it is not that close to the look out dude. It is about 100 yards give or take before the tea cups entrance. Its tea cup that is near the look out.

Anyways, I rode it last night and I found it boring. Too bumpy for one and not enough obstacles or drops or anything like that. All I got by the end of it was a headache!

Just my thoughts on it.

Cheers,
    Pedalhard!

LBS Manager

You are still not in the right spot

The entrance to the brand new single track is only about 200-300 meters BEFORE the look out. The tea cup section is well established this trail is not. I ride there 3- 4 times a week and know the trail inside and out. I don't know anyway beter to descibe it to you but if get to the look out you have gone to far and the tea cup is well after the look out.
    Last edited by Johnny Hair Boy; 06-03-2005 at 12:43 PM. Reason: forgot a couple of zero's

mtbr member

my first ride @ AH

Finally ventured from the west end and hit Albion Hills last week...
    not what I expected...I climbed the first hill behind the chalet and then tagged along with some other riders (sorry the names escape me--riding K2's)anyways we were following the black arrows at a fairly good pace. If I was by myself I would not have pushed myself as much( thanks to the other riders for letting me tag along)
    totally different ride that what Im used to (Kelso and Hilton Falls mostly) seems like I was riding uphill all day.
    Are there more technical sections(read-rock gardens) in Albion or is really XC oriented
    It was a great burn and had a lot of fun, so after one visit I'll give it a 5 out of 10

Next stop...Mansfield

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's pretty much xc oriented. There is a lot of climbing, but really an equal amount of descending...

There are only 2 rock gardens I know of...one is part of the new track, which in general is more technical (do you know if you hit the new track...over the bridge...lot's of ups and downs) and the other is the last part of some singletrack before you're back on double track.

I've never ridden anything more technical, just trails with lots of roots and rocks which gives my body enough aches to make me respect Albion.

I may be at Mansfield this weekend, it's similar to Albion in terms of xc oriented, but I've never ridden the advanced sections, so these may be to your liking.

mtbr member

Where exactly is this?

Johnny,

I ride @ Albion a few times a week myself and am not sure where you are talking about. I know about the new section across the road and bridge that they opened. So, let me follow this...There is a fairly long straight section before turning left heading towards the "farm lookout". Is this before the left turn heading this way, or after the left turn off of the straight away with the look out directly ahead. Just curious? I know that Sean (Chico Racing) was going to put in another new section, but I don't think the one you are referring to is it. He was going to put something in this past weekend. Anyhow, I will keep my eyes out while there later this week. Although, I am surprised we haven't ridden it at the Tues night fun series...

Neil

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    If I was by myself I would not have pushed myself as much( thanks to the other riders for letting me tag along)
    totally different ride that what Im used to (Kelso and Hilton Falls mostly) seems like I was riding uphill all day.
    Are there more technical sections(read-rock gardens) in Albion or is really XC oriented
    It was a great burn and had a lot of fun, so after one visit I'll give it a 5 out of 10

Next stop...Mansfield
    You will be giving a Mansfield a two out of ten if you gave Albion a five. Mansfield is not technical and it has a lot of short sandy climbs. I love Mansfield because of the climbs and the flow of the single track but it is not technical.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Johnny,

I ride @ Albion a few times a week myself and am not sure where you are talking about. I know about the new section across the road and bridge that they opened. So, let me follow this...There is a fairly long straight section before turning left heading towards the "farm lookout". Is this before the left turn heading this way, or after the left turn off of the straight away with the look out directly ahead. Just curious? I know that Sean (Chico Racing) was going to put in another new section, but I don't think the one you are referring to is it. He was going to put something in this past weekend. Anyhow, I will keep my eyes out while there later this week. Although, I am surprised we haven't ridden it at the Tues night fun series...

Neil
    The entry I saw (but did not take yet) is right AFTER the left turn. In fact, it is only a few meters after the left turn into the long straight away section towards the lookout. The entry is on your RIGHT.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member

a BRILLIANT idea!

Why doesn't somebody take the included map and PHOTOTSHOP, MS PAINT or whatever where the entrance to the new trail is so people can find it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    You will be giving a Mansfield a two out of ten if you gave Albion a five. Mansfield is not technical and it has a lot of short sandy climbs. I love Mansfield because of the climbs and the flow of the single track but it is not technical.
    Really!?! Their website had lots of pics of wooden bridges/ teeters and stuff.
    I only gave Albion a 5 because I didnt know were the heck I was going...
    I love doing the hills both ascending and descending, but lately have been trying to do ramps/bridges and teeters that I see on my travels...

Noonievut- It was my first time there...so yeah I hit the new stuff ! As far as I know, from the other riders I was with, they did comment that the last section of trail we did was new...lots of ups and downs

So would you recommmend Mansfield? Is it worth the drive to Alliston (could not resist-sorry)
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Really!?! Their website had lots of pics of wooden bridges/ teeters and stuff.
    I only gave Albion a 5 because I didnt know were the heck I was going...
    I love doing the hills both ascending and descending, but lately have been trying to do ramps/bridges and teeters that I see on my travels...

Noonievut- It was my first time there...so yeah I hit the new stuff ! As far as I know, from the other riders I was with, they did comment that the last section of trail we did was new...lots of ups and downs

So would you recommmend Mansfield? Is it worth the drive to Alliston (could not resist-sorry)
    Cheers
    You would be happier at Ravenshoe - few hills, short ride to stunts, and more stunts, roots but no rocks.

Mansfield has a few stunts on the trails but unless they've built a stunt area close to the lodge you will have to ride and climb some hills in between those stunts. I could be totally wrong though, the stunts may be meters apart but because the way we do our loop at Mansfield they seem spaced far apart. FWIW, I don't recall riding a rock garden at Mansfield or even a log pile which is suprising considering the logging and the number of trees in the forest.

Mansfield is a fun XC ride. I wish it was more technical but as I said before I love the climbs and the flow of the trails. Is it worth the drive; it depends on what type of riding you want to do that day.

LBS Manager

That map is useless to me

I can,t make it any clearer there is only one spot on the black trail that has a look out over a couple of farms. It is right after a long straigh away. The entrance to the new trail is at the start of this long straight away just after you turn on to it off to your right. If you get to the look out you have missed it. I sugest you look for this look out over the farmers feilds and turrn around go back a few hundred meters to where the staight away starts and look for it this way if you can't find it the right way. The section of trail the entrance is off is fast so I think you guys are blowing past it as you round the corner at high speed. That said this section is short and not worth all this typing.

mtbr member

Does this help

Can we at least narrow it down to a section for all us noobs

example: Chalet is in square C5 (third row across (c) 5th row down (5)
    Last edited by smiley; 10-08-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Mar 2004
    Even with the map I still have problem navigating inside. I have a really bad sense of direction

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esmundo
    Even with the map I still have problem navigating inside. I have a really bad sense of direction
    I also have a poor sense of direction, but I know Albion very well. That map is VERY outdated, although they still pass it out at the gate. The section in question is in C1, right off the RED double track.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Alright, new (used) wheels, brakes and shocks are adjusted and i'm FINALLY ready to really hit Albion.... or anything for that matter.

I'm planning on going to Albion a few times a week after work. What i'd like to know is if you guys can give me a list of the trails in terms of difficulty. I know there's Yellow, Red, Blue and Black that they have listed on the pdf file. Just becasue it's short doesn't mean it's easy, right?

So, someone wanna give me a list?

PATIA!

Special "THANKS!" to Picard for hooking me up with my new wheels!!!!!

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Alright, new (used) wheels, brakes and shocks are adjusted and i'm FINALLY ready to really hit Albion.... or anything for that matter.

I'm planning on going to Albion a few times a week after work. What i'd like to know is if you guys can give me a list of the trails in terms of difficulty. I know there's Yellow, Red, Blue and Black that they have listed on the pdf file. Just becasue it's short doesn't mean it's easy, right?

PATIA!

Don't border with the yellow and blue trail. The Red is the main loop (fire road/ double tracks) and the Black are where the single tracks are. Nothing there that are really technical but expect climbs, lots of climb. It's an enduro style course. My endurance stinks and I always have to walk those climbs .

mtbr member
    Okay, got it. Thanks Esmundo!

Another Q - Enduro? Wuzzat? Like a "make you or break you" endurance thing?

I'm not used to trail names. It's all biking to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Here you go....
    From the Chico website:

The new section is in the top right-hand corner.
    this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member

PATIA!

Andrew,

Not sure if you hit Albion yet, but yes the map is crappy if you actually try to follow it. The singletrack sections are all directly off of the double track areas. Your best bet is to follow the black arrows and look for the trails going off of the double crap. Or ride with someone who has ridden there before. If you follow all of the black arrows and can somewhat stick to the right direction, you'll do 17-23 kms. Short? I don't know about that. It's a good work out and there is some tight, twisty switchbacks and demanding climbs. And there is some great single track there that will challenge you if you push yourself to go hastily through it. There is definitely a good mix of XC trails there, and the Chico boys are constantly adding some.

Neil

mtbr member

Don't bother with it!

Quote Originally Posted by serious
    The entry I saw (but did not take yet) is right AFTER the left turn. In fact, it is only a few meters after the left turn into the long straight away section towards the lookout. The entry is on your RIGHT.
    Don't bother riding this if you prefer a trail where you can actually carry some momentum. This trail doesn't look new, but just unkept and untravelled. There are broken branches all over, a recipe for a face plant if you are not careful. Not to mention, there are continuous humps all around the first couple of hundred metres (I turned around) that hinder you from getting any speed. Anyhow, the new section across Duffy's Lane is the SH$#! if you want a nice trail, and challenge. Some tough climbs for the first few kms, but great downhills coming out. Kicks ass!!!

Neil

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Andrew,

Not sure if you hit Albion yet, but yes the map is crappy if you actually try to follow it. The singletrack sections are all directly off of the double track areas. Your best bet is to follow the black arrows and look for the trails going off of the double crap. Or ride with someone who has ridden there before. If you follow all of the black arrows and can somewhat stick to the right direction, you'll do 17-23 kms. Short? I don't know about that. It's a good work out and there is some tight, twisty switchbacks and demanding climbs. And there is some great single track there that will challenge you if you push yourself to go hastily through it. There is definitely a good mix of XC trails there, and the Chico boys are constantly adding some.

Neil
    Yeah, uh-huh, keep going, i'm getting turned on.

Okay, sorry, it was funny in MY head. Sounds great. A perfect stress-reliever at the end of the day from the dungeon I work in. I'll start hitting it this week. Too wet today.

mtbr member
    Yeah, uh-huh, keep going, i'm getting turned on.

Okay, sorry, it was funny in MY head. Sounds great. A perfect stress-reliever at the end of the day from the dungeon I work in. I'll start hitting it this week. Too wet today.
    You will enjoy it if you hit the right spots. Some more rain is good. Too wet to go out riding yes, but the trail needs some water. It's a little dusty and dry in spots. Needs to firm up for the 24 this weekend. You doing the Solstice?

mtbr member
    ME?!?! Pffft, No way man. Read the last line in my sig. I'll stay off the course, but I wouldn't mind to spectate, get an idea of the pace, take some pics, stuff like that.

I have the worst weakness a racer could possibly have - patience, or lack thereof.