Albion Hills, HT or FS?(and Palgrave)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Albion Hills, HT or FS?(and Palgrave)

90% of my riding will be done there.Buying a new bike and can't decide.1500 to 1800 for a hard tail,and don't really want to spend much more than 2500 on a FS.Obviously prefer to spend less,but if Albion dictates FS that would be the smarter bet.So confusing all the bikes out there.Cheers.

No. Just No.
    I'd call it a 50/50 split right down the middle i.e. the trails themselves don't strongly favour or dictate going either route. Instead, buy the type of bike you want to ride for the experience you want to have. If you are accustomed to riding HT and like the experience, buy the HT. Or vice versa if you like riding FS.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    As someone who rides Palgrave a lot... I ride the FS, but it depends - I've been on a FS since 1999 (HT before that) - mainly because of back issues and only on 2 different FS designs. I started on a RM Element Race (still have it and my boys ride it) and my current ride is a Niner Jet9 that I built in 2010.
    As Circlip has mentioned what are you looking for or what experience do you want and how you envision (realistically) your riding in the future. Some (or should I say a lot) on the forum will have more experience than I when it comes to FS bikes - a long travel FS will be a different ride than a race oriented FS bike - depends what your looking for or expecting.
    A light HT is at a different price point than a light FS .. but the big difference (in my opinion) with FS is the suspension and climbing - try a number of different bikes and find one that fits and you like the ride. Find a demo day (does Hardwood still have the spring demo day?) Some shops might have demo days (There was a Niner demo at Buckwallow last fall - can't remember who put it on though)
    Good Luck..

mtbr member
    I switched back to fs because of back pain also. I don't think it's as much of a sacrifice as it used to be. I think if you consider something like a scott spark with remote lockout or an epic with brain system, it will still have great climbing ability. But more fun and faster descending.

mtbr member
    I rode an HT for years on every terrain until I got old and my back hurt. I would put the $2500.00 into a good hardtail. You might want to consider used. Check out MTB parts finder on Facebook. If you are a large, there is an awesome Cannondale for sale. Pink Bike as well. There are a lots of bikes at this time of year. Upgrade season is on.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I rode an HT for years on every terrain until I got old and my back hurt. I would put the $2500.00 into a good hardtail. You might want to consider used. Check out MTB parts finder on Facebook. If you are a large, there is an awesome Cannondale for sale. Pink Bike as well. There are a lots of bikes at this time of year. Upgrade season is on.
    As secret agent mentioned, there are some great used bikes for sale. Sent you a PM on that as I have a really nice HT for sale...I have a back issue that exists from positioning on the bike regardless of HT or FS...And the reliability of FS vs. HT not to mention weight, all have made it the choice for me know.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for your replies. I am an older rider(47) and wanting to get back into trail riding.The bike I choose I hope to have for more than a few years. I know that hard tail is a better bang for my buck but started to think that it will be too much for my back also.Being a clyde isn't very good for pounding either. About the Scott,the 950 does seem to be a great bike for the price,and lockout in most FS nowadays seems too work well when I hit the backroads in the spring to just ride(don't like road bikes). Thanks for your inputs,the bike market is certainly overwhelming,and many advancements from my 13 year old HT!

mtbr member
    I don't know the Giant line up all that well, but my understanding is that their bikes offer very good value. There is a Giant Bikes store on Queen west of Bathurst.
    Burnt Norton

Lemmy Rules!
    Albion is fine for a hardtail-very fast and flowy. But try before you buy. That's the only way to be sure
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Tough call - it will come down to your personal preference. I have both and ride Albion a couple times a week and Palgrave once every week or so and 99% of the time bring my FS.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Based on the wording of your question, there's nothing about either that require you to have a FS.. Both can be ridden just fine and fairly comfortably with a hardtail, particularly because you are generally out of your seat for the tricky bits, the roots and the flow. There are some hills to grind up that can be taken just fine in the seat.. The faster guys do it out of seat, but I don't find it to be uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I live 5 min from both locations - my Jet9 RDO is faster than my Air9 RDO was at both locations - also more fun
    www.abikeslife.com ontario bike stuff!

WolfPak Racing! :thumbsup:
    https://www.facebook.com/wolfpakracingcanada