Albionís Double Track (and similar trails)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Albionís Double Track (and similar trails)

I have a cyclocross bike with 33mm knobbie tires. I use it on rail trails, mixed surface (with gravel roads), and as an off-season bike to my road bike.

Iím looking for trails that are relatively smooth (like a rail trail), but with twisty turns and climbs/descents. I was wondering if Albionís ski trails would be suitable? I donít want lots of rocks and roots, as I found this too harsh on my body with this bike.

And if you know if similar trails let me know. I was thinking Dundas valley might be good.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut View Post
    I have a cyclocross bike with 33mm knobbie tires. I use it on rail trails, mixed surface (with gravel roads), and as an off-season bike to my road bike.

Iím looking for trails that are relatively smooth (like a rail trail), but with twisty turns and climbs/descents. I was wondering if Albionís ski trails would be suitable? I donít want lots of rocks and roots, as I found this too harsh on my body with this bike.

And if you know if similar trails let me know. I was thinking Dundas valley might be good.

Thanks
    You could ride pretty well all of Albion on our bike. There are only a few sections of single track that may be hard on your body. Most of it is pretty smooth.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member

Thanks
    Dundas Valley and the Hamilton area in general is very CX friendly. Lots of options for extended rides on gravel paths/roads, rail trails, dual track and singletrack.
    Straight outta Rossland

Looking for Adventure

Thanks
    I ride singletrack on a cross bike, but apparently it is not for everyone. Give the Albion ski trails a try, and if you want more crazy hills, do the eastern Black Trail. If you want more distance and variety, Dundas Valley is an excellent choice. But hit Dundas Valley only early in the morning, or in the evening, as it is really crowded with "walkers" on the weekends during mid day.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    You could ride pretty well all of Albion on our bike. There are only a few sections of single track that may be hard on your body. Most of it is pretty smooth.
    Yeah sure... if you're Martyn Ashton.

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    I agree.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member

twisty turns and climbs/descents

a little bit about the rail trails and so on. As the rail trails are built on old rr lines, they are flat and straight. The Dundas Valley has bike/hiking trails that are as smooth as the rail trail but does have some swoopy curves, and climbs. There is also some not too difficult trails that run off of the main trail that are interesting on a CX bike. The same for Iroquois Hts at the top of the Chedoke rail trail. Not difficult.
    If you get out to Dundas Valley, there are maps on the trails to show the way.

mtbr member
    I think you could do most of the Hydrocut on a CX bike, and huge chunks of Walker Woods,Durham Forest and Glen Major would work. I have a fully rigid carbon MTB and have done those rides. They are a lot of fun. I know it is a bit of a difference from a CX bike, but I am riding fully rigid and have a bit more tire, but not that much different. I just slow down a bit on some of the more bumpy rides. I find it a really nice change of pace.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You could link together a pretty good ride at Kelso and Hilton Falls, both have access roads throughout, plus a good set of road riding between the two.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hydrocut is too challenging for me on a cx bike. I did it on a FS bike years ago and it was fine, but my bike handling isnít ready for a rigid cx bike on those trails!

Kelso and Hilton would definitely work. Done them both on my mtn bike in the past and can see parts of both working on a cx bike.

Today I took the bike on a part of the Bruce trail that allows bikes, it was fine but I found I needed to slow down to avoid striking a rock head on or bad angle on a wet root.

I find that unlike dirt, ups and downs and not too twisty turns, but I want such trails for hours at a time and it really doesnít exist.