about getting beat up on W'down trails,- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

about getting beat up on W'down trails,

showed up wednesday night for the Bicylce Works ride in Waterdown. I have never ridden there and have heard much about the trails. Ride starts at 6:00 and about 30 riders showed up and someone commented that with this many riders it was going to be slow. The first group started out so I asked and was told that that was the fast group. Ed and I jumped on the back of the 8 or so riders thinking how fast could it be? Out Mill st and mountain brow road and dropped in on the right.
    About 15 minutes into the ride I realized I was in over my head when we hit some real tight twisty single track at killer speed. Got dropped but the guy leading the group was kind enough to wait for Ed and I and we were off again, this time into the tightest switchback track where you couldn't see the trail 15 feet ahead. Eddy missed a skinny bridge and tried to remove his stem with his kneecap so he was out. Once again the lead guy came back to see if we were ok. Nice gesture. We bailed and came back to the parking lot.
    Now, is there any map of Waterdown trails anywhere? I would like to spend some time out there but on my own, and discover things at my pace. I know I can always go back and ride with the other group, and I would enjoy that ride.

ez5
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    you can get a map from Bicycle Works in waterdown

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I ride Waterdown regularly, (I live here), but I dont know of a map. I know the trail you were on; I ride with the BWorks group on Wednesdays. However if you ever want to go for a more leisurely ride, let me know, I'd be happy to join you, and show you the wide variety of trails out here.

mtbr member
    There's nothing better than riding with someone who knows the trails, nice offer RiotMTB.

mtbr member

I am away next week but will likely be out for the

Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    I ride Waterdown regularly, (I live here), but I dont know of a map. I know the trail you were on; I ride with the BWorks group on Wednesdays. However if you ever want to go for a more leisurely ride, let me know, I'd be happy to join you, and show you the wide variety of trails out here.
    following wednesday ride. I will pm before to see if you are riding that night and will say hi.

I really appreciate the chance to hook up and get some rides in out there. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The main trail network in waterdown is not that THAT confusing. But if you end up on one of the side trails, you can easily end up in Burlington.

I'd try to stick with a local to show you the way the first few times! I agree the trail network is pretty tough with lots of climbing.
    Last edited by macming; 08-19-2011 at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member

where we rode there were no real climbs but I couldn't

Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post
    The main trail network in waterdown is that THAT confusing. But if you end up on one of the side trails, you can easily end up in Burlington.

I'd try to stick with a local to show you the way the first few times! I agree the trail network is pretty tough with lots of climbing.
    believe how fast we were riding and it was totally blind. If someone was coming the other way it would have been a slaughter. The trails cutback at 180* every few feet and when it opened up just a bit we were riding at 20-30 K. along some pretty close stuff. I know the guy leading the group knew what was up so no problem.

Workin for the weekend!
    Those trails are a maze, it'd take years to know them well. Each time I get into the Rockcliffe trails, I get lost, then found, then lost again before I find my way home...

The Up & Down back there is rough...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    Now, is there any map of Waterdown trails anywhere?
    I have one...PM me with your email address and I'll shoot it over to you.

mtbr member
    believe how fast we were riding and it was totally blind. If someone was coming the other way it would have been a slaughter. The trails cutback at 180* every few feet and when it opened up just a bit we were riding at 20-30 K. along some pretty close stuff. I know the guy leading the group knew what was up so no problem.
    hehe. That's the beauty of Waterdown trails. You'll like it soon enough!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I get lost in there all the time. Even when I use a sound reference to get my bearings, it all sounds like it's coming from all directions. Last time I found a dog walker and she pointed me out.

mtbr member

if I was smart I'd hook up my Garmin 305 but then I'd

be looking down at my GPS when I got creamed by a group coming the other way. Lukey I pm'd with my email sure would be great to get a map. I will be away from tuesday to sunday, and will check back. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We will see you next week at the Wed ride. I ride a red and white Specialized (with black chainstays).

mtbr member
    be looking down at my GPS when I got creamed by a group coming the other way. Lukey I pm'd with my email sure would be great to get a map. I will be away from tuesday to sunday, and will check back. Thanks
    Maps are in a new thread, here.

mtbr member
    I moved to Waterdown in November and have been on the trails a few times. They interconnect allot and as of yet I haven't been able to figure out a decent loop to train on. I usually end up driving out to hydro cut and riding there but would love to figure out the W'down trails seeing that I live there. I haven't managed to hook up on the group ride as I am usually never home by then but I should. If not anyone who is interested in hooking up on the weekends let me know. For those that may have seen me I ride a Blue/Black/White Giant Anthem X
    "Go till I blow..... chunks"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by misconceptionz View Post
    I moved to Waterdown in November and have been on the trails a few times. They interconnect allot and as of yet I haven't been able to figure out a decent loop to train on. I usually end up driving out to hydro cut and riding there but would love to figure out the W'down trails seeing that I live there. I haven't managed to hook up on the group ride as I am usually never home by then but I should. If not anyone who is interested in hooking up on the weekends let me know. For those that may have seen me I ride a Blue/Black/White Giant Anthem X
    What kind of training are you looking for? Waterdown is ideal for just about everything with the exception of long flowing singletrack (there is singletrack but it is climbing, descending, and technical). I live here, and ride here 3 - 5 times a week...often on the weekend. I am up at Albion for the HAN this weekend, but happy to ride sometime afterwards.

mtbr member
    That's funny I am racing at HAN this weekend as well. I am a last minute addition to the Mysfit B team and will be out at there rowdy on course location for the duration. Stop by and say hi if you have a minute (my name is Adrian). As far as training I do a few hundred k a week riding to work in the city on the road bike and race OCup and endurance events on the mountian bike so climbing and technical are all good in my book. I do like to go fast on the single track though as well
    "Go till I blow..... chunks"