8hr Spring Relay at Mansfield- Mtbr.com
    rad to the power of sick

8hr Spring Relay at Mansfield

Hey all,

I signed myself up for the 8hr spring relay this weekend. Im going solo for the first time so it should make for an interesting race!

Anyone else coming out?
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trekracer8000
    Hey all,

I signed myself up for the 8hr spring relay this weekend. Im going solo for the first time so it should make for an interesting race!

Anyone else coming out?
    Hey Aaron,

Good on ya bro! We should get together and ride sometime soon. I have been spending far too much time neglecting my mountain bike! I was checking things out and i think i will give the solo a go at the 8 hours at hardwood on July 23. Should have found my legs by then. All the best!

Trevor

rad to the power of sick
    Hey man,

Im free most days after work (5ish) So if you want we could hit up kelso or waterdown some time.

Cheers
    Aaron

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Hey man,

Im free most days after work (5ish) So if you want we could hit up kelso or waterdown some time.

Cheers
    Aaron

June2 at 5:20?? at the top?

rad to the power of sick
    That should work... I'll have to see if i can get the car that night.

Cheers
    Aaron

mtbr member

I'll be there!

Hey I'll be riding the Mansfield 8-hour tomorrow as well. I'm doing a two-person team so it should be a blast. What kind of pit setup do you have? Describe your tent setup etc.if you have one and I'll try to find you tomorrow. Maybe we can set up near each other.

Cheers,
    Dan

p.s. I'll be the guy riding Blue Cannondale with the lefty front fork.

rad to the power of sick
    I've got my work cut out for me big time. No support crew... my rents might come but other than that, my pit crew is a rubbermaid bin set up with clif bars and carb drinks. If it were a 24hr race I'd be screwed...but 8hrs I should be able to pull it off.

Its gonna be pretty much me doing a lap, grabbing a clif bar/ refil and doing another lap.

Il be riding a blue trek 8000 (surprise surprise) with a manitou black. Probably a trek jersey too.

Oh ya... what tire setup are you running? Im doing michelin comp s most likely, but if the course isnt too loose im going to use my bontrager SS'

Cheers
    Aaron
    Last edited by superlightracer; 05-27-2005 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member

Solo 8-hour

Aaron, email me ASAP at bikerider (at) cogeco.ca

Let's chat about when you're going to arrive etc. We'll try to hook up and get stuff set up together. Then we can work together a bit if you need some help etc.

Cheers,
    Dan

I've got my work cut out for me big time. No support crew... my rents might come but other than that, my pit crew is a rubbermaid bin set up with clif bars and carb drinks. If it were a 24hr race I'd be screwed...but 8hrs I should be able to pull it off.

Its gonna be pretty much me doing a lap, grabbing a clif bar/ refil and doing another lap.

Il be riding a blue trek 8000 (surprise surprise) with a manitou black. Probably a trek jersey too.

Oh ya... what tire setup are you running? Im doing michelin comp s most likely, but if the course isnt too loose im going to use my bontrager SS'

Cheers
    Aaron

rad to the power of sick
    Check your email...

cheers
    Aaron

rad to the power of sick
    So how'd y'all do?

My race went exactly not as planned. First lap, I wiped out big time, spraining my shoulder and eating a lot of sand of which there was no shortage. I popped a few advil in an effort to kill the pain and get going again. I managed to get in rhythm doing 3 laps at about 15.5 km/h. However, not being able to keep my HR down bit me in the ass by lap 5 when I had a wave of brutal cramps force me to walk. I took a break after that lap and tried to clear m y legs, but it was too late. I went out for one more lap before calling it a day.

things i learned:

8hrs is harder than 24hrs...the pace is faster than you'd think.

Im not in as good shape as i thought ...keeping your HR at 60% is tough with all those ups and downs.

Next year, do a tag team.

cheers

mtbr member

Tough Race

Yeah it was definitely a tough race.

We started off by doing two laps each...my partner Mike did two laps to start, then me two, then him two. Then from there we switched to single laps and by about 2pm we were definitely feeling it. By 4:15pm I finished my 5th lap and Mike said he couldn't go back out. Since I didn't have enough juice to do a double, we both headed back to the pits and relaxed until 5pm when he went back out for one more, and then I did one more to finish things off.

So we did 13 laps in total which we were happy with, but yeah it was definitely a challenge. Far worse than a 24-hour because the breaks between laps were only about 30-minutes long, which isn't enough to do much relaxing.

But it was a blast!

Dan

So how'd y'all do?

My race went exactly not as planned. First lap, I wiped out big time, spraining my shoulder and eating a lot of sand of which there was no shortage. I popped a few advil in an effort to kill the pain and get going again. I managed to get in rhythm doing 3 laps at about 15.5 km/h. However, not being able to keep my HR down bit me in the ass by lap 5 when I had a wave of brutal cramps force me to walk. I took a break after that lap and tried to clear m y legs, but it was too late. I went out for one more lap before calling it a day.

things i learned:

Im not in as good shape as i thought ...keeping your HR at 60% is tough with all those ups and downs.

Next year, do a tag team.

cheers

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Yeah it was definitely a tough race.

We started off by doing two laps each...my partner Mike did two laps to start, then me two, then him two. Then from there we switched to single laps and by about 2pm we were definitely feeling it. By 4:15pm I finished my 5th lap and Mike said he couldn't go back out. Since I didn't have enough juice to do a double, we both headed back to the pits and relaxed until 5pm when he went back out for one more, and then I did one more to finish things off.

So we did 13 laps in total which we were happy with, but yeah it was definitely a challenge. Far worse than a 24-hour because the breaks between laps were only about 30-minutes long, which isn't enough to do much relaxing.

But it was a blast!

Dan

Dan and Aaron,

Congrats to both on a valiant effort! Now take a break, rest, relax.

See you on the start line (well maybe- i don't race as much as i should),

Trevor

rad to the power of sick
    Thanks bud,

See ya at kelso on thursday..weather is looking great!

(aka SS_MB-7)
    things i learned:

Harder? Not necessarily....just different. Each has it's Pros/Cons and riding-/racing-styles and each can be harder than other. It all depends on how you attack them.

Yes, an 8-hr is much more of sprint, if you can call it that, than a 24-hr and can be considered more intense because of the shorter duration/higher pace. But, it's a third of the length/duration and that's the killer with a 24-hr.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com