80km Race - Mount-Sainte-Anne during UCI info?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

80km Race - Mount-Sainte-Anne during UCI info?

Anybody been to this and done the 80km? Considering going up for this to race and watch the festivities. I assume it is a pretty good time, wondering what the 80k race course is like. Good riding? Much 1-track or mostly 2-track?
    thx

mtbr member
    Vélirium - Raid Vélo Mag — English

There's the link, in case you haven't seen it.

I haven't done it, but had friends do it last year. From what they said, it was tough (in a good way) and this is coming from experienced racers. You climb to the top of the mountain and descend on some of the enduro trails as part of the course. The rest is in and out of singletrack. From what they described, it sounded like a good, epic, proper mountain bike race.
    Straight outta Rossland

ups and downs
    It's smack dab in the middle of the World Cup weekend so there is a great buzz and atmosphere, the only downside is that you won't be able to watch the World Cup DH race, it's happening at the same time. It looks like they dive straight into their trail network this year, cross over to the north side of the mountain and do two big loops on the north side of the power line right of way and then climb the north side of the mountain before looping around the east end of the trail network. Based on the map there'd be very little double track in the 80km loop, just l'enduro sud and the access to the trail loops on the north and some power line right of way. It looks like a nice tour of their trail network.

https://www.velirium.com/en/races/ra.../big-80-km.png

even the 60km course covers a lot of ground

https://www.velirium.com/en/races/ra.../big-60-km.png

here's the MSA trail map to eyeball the ratings of the trails

https://i1.wp.com/mont-sainte-anne.c...CC_legende.jpg
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks guys....sounds like a good test and having the WC going on is pretty cool. Putting it on the calendar.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looks to me like Eric's Strava track from last year is basically the same as this year's course?
    https://www.strava.com/activities/359995216

Helpful to have the strava link to see the elevations and mileages for aid stations. This look/sound correct those of y'all that know the area or the race?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I did this race last year, it was tough! One of the toughest mountain bike races I have done! That's why I am doing it again this year!
    I think I wasn't prepared for the relentless roughness of the course, I have done several Marathons in Ontario and a few NUE series races in the US and I sort of trained for something like that. But in the MSA race there is no road (other than the few meters to start) and almost zero gravel. The double track is still technical in the sense that there are always roots and rocks and grooves to keep you honest and not allowing you to recover or to drink easily. There is a lot of climbing and I remember a couple of the climbs were straight up ski runs, very steep and with grass to add rolling resistance.
    There are lots of volunteers in the feed zones and in most intersections. Course is well marked so no issue getting lost. Lots of double track at the beginning (but as I said technical double track), fun single track by the end, nothing crazy technical, other than a few drops on the downhill sections. A full-sus is the best weapon for this race (but I don't have one :-(
    The highlights may be: starting and finishing at the same spot as the XC world cup and cresting the mountain while the Downhill race is going on. Lots of cheers from crowds there!
    Overall a great experience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sounds awesome!! Looking forward to it.

Do you think this years course is basically the same as last year??

This year: https://www.velirium.com/en/races/ra.../big-80-km.png

Last year: https://www.strava.com/activities/359995216

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Seems like the same route more or less, but I think we will hit the top of the mountain earlier this year, which is good.

This is mine from last year:

https://www.strava.com/activities/360751904

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have done the race a couple of times (including last year) and will be there this year. It's a favourite for me.

The terrain is not overly technical, by Quebec standards, but it is quite rough. As others have said, there is a lot of doubletrack, but it is strewn with rocks and roots from beginning to end. I gather these trails are XC ski trails. There is not a lot of gravel access roads except for part of the very difficult climb to the top of the ski hill. There is a lot of climbing and it comes in a couple of big chunks with more typical shorter XC grinds in between them. It's never really flat. There is some good singletrack as well, but my memory of the event is always the steep and long climbs. I can't really think of anything in Ontario that compares in difficulty -- and that's great!

It's really awesome to finish it up and then have the next day and a half to watch the pros do their thing. Last year I finished in time to catch the end of the DH race, and of course, Sunday is XC day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AztecRider View Post
    Seems like the same route more or less, but I think we will hit the top of the mountain earlier this year, which is good.

This is mine from last year:

https://www.strava.com/activities/360751904

Cheers!
    Sounds like fun guys, thanks for the info!

I sent an email to the RD, they say the course won't be exactly the same but very similar. I am thinking their online elevation profile has a scale issue. Based on the list of aid stations on the website, aid 4 is a the summit of the ski hill, which makes me believe that climb will still be at the end, not sooner?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    just went to the race website again, the posted profile has been changed, and looks pretty much the same as the profiles showing up on last year's Strava links.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    I have done the race a couple of times (including last year) and will be there this year. It's a favourite for me.

The terrain is not overly technical, by Quebec standards, but it is quite rough. As others have said, there is a lot of doubletrack, but it is strewn with rocks and roots from beginning to end. I gather these trails are XC ski trails. There is not a lot of gravel access roads except for part of the very difficult climb to the top of the ski hill. There is a lot of climbing and it comes in a couple of big chunks with more typical shorter XC grinds in between them. It's never really flat. There is some good singletrack as well, but my memory of the event is always the steep and long climbs. I can't really think of anything in Ontario that compares in difficulty -- and that's great!

It's really awesome to finish it up and then have the next day and a half to watch the pros do their thing. Last year I finished in time to catch the end of the DH race, and of course, Sunday is XC day.
    I'd have to say this is a pretty good description of this course. It is hard, right from the beginning I would say. I did not get a chance to pre-ride or scout any of it, so I was somewhat blind. I knew there were 3 to 4 large climbs, with the last one being up the back of the ski hill. Course pretty much has everything, but it is heavy on rough double track.....oh, and this is a ton of climbing. Shorty punchy stuff and longer sustained climbs.

it is a very well done race. Well marked, tons of volunteers, good aid stations, and overall the course is fun. Was a good time. The only thing I found irritating was the unwillingness for Quebec to sell a 1 day UCI license to folks from out of Province. I think that is weak.

I'd go back.....and now that I have a UCI license for the remainder of the year, are there any other similar endurance races in the Quebec over the next 2-3 months?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I went to MSA as a spectator only... I injured myself two weeks ago and had to skip the marathon race. Bras du Nord is coming up on (I think) August 28. It's also near Quebec City and is a "better" race than MSA. It has serious climbing, but also some excellent single track in some really nice country. I'm hoping to be healed up for this one. Two weeks ago the marathon nationals were held in East Hereford. This race actually occurs every year (Nationals or not) and it is really, really good. If you like long races on technical singletrack. It's very much like something in BC... Excellent.