3 Fats [o]- Mtbr.com

Thread: 3 Fats [o]

Muskoka

3 Fats [o]

Three Fats on the Suby today...

Water here is draining from a beaver dam that is almost a meter higher than the trail! Winter is finally on the wane
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

humber river advocate
    i'm going to get one of those bikes this year... way cool!
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    i'm going to get one of those bikes this year... way cool!
    trust me...you won't regret it!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    agreed.. you will not regret it for one minute (pugsley owner)

how come somebody has their endomorph on backwards? or am i just losing my mind?

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogen
    agreed.. you will not regret it for one minute (pugsley owner)

how come somebody has their endomorph on backwards? or am i just losing my mind?
    Not to worry, your mind is good Biff is running his backwards...I think he claims better traction.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    The theory is that any 'V' shaped tread has two possible directions - one 'cuts' when the tip of the v is on the leading edge - the other direction 'scoops' when the open end is on the leading edge. Scooping gives you more potential traction than cutting which pushes material out to the edges - so typically you set up V shaped tires so they scoop under power on the rear wheel, and under brake on the front wheel - the two instances where you want the most bite out of the tire. The theory works on dirt - whether it really transfers to a soft surface like snow or not is debatable - but when mounting the tires up and it's just as easy to go either direction, I'll take the theory.

In other notes - all that melting was good to see - except that at one point the guys decided to turn back to the cars and I opted to carry on solo and try to make a loop with another trail. All was going well for about the next 15-20km and I was almost back in to town when all that melting meant that the lake crossing I was relying on to get home was open water. About 400m from being home free and I had to circle all the way back the way I had come - turned out a 50 or 60km day all told for me, all but the last 9km being on trail - not too bad for Muskoka in the middle of winter - I love my fat bike.

And yes, 9km of pavement on a fat tire at 5psi does suck - which is why I brought my pump with me - it was a wonderful theory until I snapped the pump in two on the first stroke. Duct tape to the rescue - never leave home without it

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pedachenko
    The theory is that any 'V' shaped tread has two possible directions - one 'cuts' when the tip of the v is on the leading edge - the other direction 'scoops' when the open end is on the leading edge. Scooping gives you more potential traction than cutting which pushes material out to the edges - so typically you set up V shaped tires so they scoop under power on the rear wheel, and under brake on the front wheel - the two instances where you want the most bite out of the tire. The theory works on dirt - whether it really transfers to a soft surface like snow or not is debatable - but when mounting the tires up and it's just as easy to go either direction, I'll take the theory.
    Racing Ralphs have angled knobs on the outter edge that you'd figure work just like that but the markings on the sidewall say to set them up backwards from what you might think intuitively. I spent about two weeks with the rear one "backwards" after I screwed up a tube change and I thought I'd forgotten how to take a corner. It was over-steer city!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    I've always thought those outer knobs on the Ralph's looked wrong - but the tires work so well for me that I don't ask questions - never realized they got so squirrelly when you run them backwards though.

Either way though, when you take a tread as simple and understated as the Endomorph and add snow, I'm not sure tire direction really makes a difference so I just went with what felt right

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Where does one find one of these bikes anyways?

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Biobanker
    Where does one find one of these bikes anyways?
    If you want a Pugsley you have to find a Surly dealer. I know the The Bike Shop in Gravenhurst still has one (size large) on the showroom floor...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    I think all the bikes in the pictures are Pugsleys' by Surly.
    http://www.surlybikes.com/
    I also think there are threads on here that list other brands and frames as well

Looks like fun to me

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    Mine - the black one with the 'backwards' endomorph is a Fatback from Speedway Cycles in Anchorage Alaska - if you want one of those it's a little more work since they don't have a dealer network or Canadian distributor

Members who have read this thread: 0