3:00 PM Saturday...- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Mar 2005

3:00 PM Saturday...

...very quiet, so took a local trail to the beach...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    ...very quiet, so took a local trail to the beach...
    We are going up to Wasaga Beach next week. Are there some good trails closer to Wasaga other than the ones around Blue Mntn?

banned
    Mar 2005
    yes...the pics from Saturday are in the heart of Wasaga (5 minutes by bike from the beach), about 60+ km of double and single track, mostly beginner-intermediate with a few sketchy sections to make it interesting. There is access to the Ganaraska as well which will take you up to Midland (mostly through cow country though)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Is this trail legal ? did you discovered the trail on sat by coincidence?

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    Is this trail legal ? did you discovered the trail on sat by coincidence?

legal and free...i ride it with people from the MNR and they ask only that you stay on the trails to prevent erosion and don't bug the deer, but other than that, there are no rules. Been riding there for about 3 years and am still not bored.

the pics are a combination of 4 trails i rode to the beach on Saturday, did a different combination on Sunday (more challenging route), but there are all kinds of combinations. The total in this area is about 60KM, but you can stretch it out further.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Where does the trailhead start if I'm starting in Wasaga? and Where is the more technical sections? Is there any North Shore stuff in Wasaga?

banned
    Mar 2005
    check your PM

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Is Ganaraska not northeast of Toronto towards the 115/35 highways??????
    Since I used to live in the collingwood area and have never known Ganaraska to be there I'd double check the info!!

As for North Shore style of riding....around Wasaga....i kind of doubt it. If you want that style of riding come on out west, then you can learn what its like to really ride up a hill.

Those trails you posted do like nice and rolling.....be nice for a easy training ride where you just want to spin the legs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    check your PM

PM?????

banned
    Mar 2005
    it runs from Port Hope to Midland...my sections are 23-24-25 on the map which is here (click at bottom of page):

http://www.ganaraska-hiking-trail.ca/

has some wilderness sections...click on "explore the trail" portal

yup...pure XC...nice, rolling, but with a few challenging sections with some nice uphills. Nothing like Kolapore or Three Stage, no need to get that feeling of terror when hitting a wet bridge in a gully to have fun
    Last edited by JM01; 07-12-2005 at 07:38 AM.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Private Messages...its a secret

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    True ganaraska forest is not that whole trail. Some sections roll through the Collingwood and Stayner areas and they have never been called Ganaraska trail out there.
    I'd say someone is really trying to stretch things out

banned
    Mar 2005
    not really, the ganaraska forest must be a patch of trees somewhere, the hiking trail is not the same animal...the trail that stole it's name never made it to Collingwood, perhaps you think of the Bruce. The trail that i ride here if well marked "Ganaraska Hiking Trail", has glow-in-the-dark trail markers for night use, is maintained by the Ganaraska Hiking Club, and has been around as long as i can remember...i moved here in 1963, it joined the other trail network in 1974 (i remember that well), but it took a few more years to be developed

i'll post a pic of a trail marker as i ride through this upcomming weekend and the GPS location next week...it will be somewhere on section 23 of this questionable trail shown on the map i posted yesterday

no big deal

banned
    Feb 2005

Wink

I found this trail one day on a hike a bike,
    It must have been near the beach.
    Very busy with chicks in thongs and Hiking boots.
    Last edited by Phat Tyred; 07-13-2005 at 04:41 AM.

banned
    Mar 2005

yes indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    I found this trail one day on a hike a bike,
    It must have been near the beach.
    Very busy with chicks in thongs and Hiking boots.
    thats what the markers look like...if this is near the beach, it looks like one of the sections that run through "cow country"...i usually stay around the nottawasaga river which is managed by the MNR or the NRCA...not posted...but i have biked the private sections and have had no problems...the problem here are the ATV's and dirt bikes which chew up the fields, or snow mobiles that use the trail before the ground freezes...really upsets the farmers who constantly threaten to close the trails because of a few jerks (mostly kids)

missed the thongs, probably a good thing, as i always hit things when not paying attention

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It really amazes me that the person who began this thread knows that the ganaraska hiking trail is just for hiking but chooses to ignore it. Why do you think private land owners get upset when people openly violate the rules laid out in the agreements that they allow there land to be used for. Hiking means hiking...not biking.

Use trails that are open for biking and DO NOT go giving real bikers a bad name by ignoring the obvious.

thats what the markers look like...if this is near the beach, it looks like one of the sections that run through "cow country"...i usually stay around the nottawasaga river which is managed by the MNR or the NRCA...not posted...but i have biked the private sections and have had no problems...the problem here are the ATV's and dirt bikes which chew up the fields, or snow mobiles that use the trail before the ground freezes...really upsets the farmers who constantly threaten to close the trails because of a few jerks (mostly kids)

missed the thongs, probably a good thing, as i always hit things when not paying attention

banned
    Mar 2005
    i now understand why these threads start out well and go down hill so quickly, eh, ski-hill-guy (you must be on the the wrong board)

as i said, i ride with the people from the MNR, ride only where we have permission, and the Ganaraska here (at least i know where it is and that it exists...no we're not stretching things) is a mixed use trail and biking is encouraged...people here, including the hiking club (we get together regularly), the MNR, who bike here as well, and the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority have no problem with many bikers being here. I think that you saw that last post with the "hikers only" sign and thought you had something. Only a true idiot would disregard posted property, take ATV's on the trail, or make assumptions based on no knowledge of the facts.

Go back and read some of your posts, not only here but on some other treads...some people take joy in enjoying this sport, others just to want to piss in their cornflakes.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the info JM01. The Ganaraska is very long and travels over both private and public lands. I thought that MTBing was only permitted on the public land areas. It could be different rules for different areas, I am not sure. What are the rules around Wasaga? The trails you show and ride, are they all on public lands, with the green light to MTBing? Thanks again for all the info. So many trails, so many different rules.
    Last edited by Phat Tyred; 07-14-2005 at 06:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Its time for you JM to wake up and get real. Just because you come across a trail does not mean it is open to being ridden on. Just because you and your so called informed buddies ride this trail does not mean it is open to you riding it. If there are signs that say it is open to hiking only..that does not mean it is open for you to bike on. If your buddies from the MNR do it that does not make it right either. The Bruce trail is also a hiking only trail but in some sections people have begun biking on it too,,.......that does not make it right!
    The ganaraska hiking trail website link you posted makes no mention i could see of allowing mtn biking on its trails.
    Just because people go and take ATV's and motorbikes on these trails does not give you the right to mtn bike on them.
    With idiots like you riding and riding on trails meant for other uses then its no wonder why trails get closed.

banned
    Mar 2005
    i'll try one more time...the sign you saw posted could have been anywhere on the Ganaraska...its 350 km long, mostlly through private property which everyone repects

HOWEVER...my section is MIXED USE!!!!, meaning that its shared with the MNR areas (like lorree forest, three stage, etc), the Nottawasaga Conservation Authority, the hiking club, and biking is ENCOURAGED...,i'll post the signs we use on monday, but there are two types, ones with green bikes showing bike paths, others that have a line through a bike, indicating that these are for hiking only. Everyone obeys these, and there has never been an issue (except with ATV's)

i don't get it...everyone here, including the senior wardens, park managers, and residents bike on these trails BECAUSE its allowed, we even meet and discuss new routes we found with the hiking club who then go out and spray the roots and stumps on the trail with red day-glo to help avoid accidents for beginners...the hikers do a great job keeping the trail safe for BIKING

to try to flame out a fun ride and a great place to enjoy a great biking area out of ignorance and some anal paradigms is truly weird...come out some time, enjoy a truly remarkable trail (sort of like Kolapore on prozac), and have some fun for a change...thats what its all about

to even think that anyone here would do something so stupid as to jeopordize the trails for general use, and then act as a retard and post it on an international board should have their head examined

anyway...it appears that we can type this thing to death, and you still won't get it...but the fact is that biking here is not only OK, safe, legal, but, as part of the provincial park system (something the Ganaraska shares here) is actually encouraged, just like Albion, Kelso, etc. The only thing they ask is that you stay on the trails to prevent erosion

Good Grief

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    mostlly through private property which everyone repects
    You stated in an earlier post that you have ridden through private section and have never had any problems. Guess you really don't respect private property or you would have ridden through it without permission. But just because you got away with it does not make it right. I guess you are the retard for posting such information and being proud of it on the internet.

to even think that anyone here would do something so stupid as to jeopordize the trails for general use, and then act as a retard and post it on an international board should have their head examined

anyway...it appears that we can type this thing to death, and you still won't get it...but the fact is that biking here is not only OK, safe, legal, but, as part of the provincial park system (something the Ganaraska shares here) is actually encouraged, just like Albion, Kelso, etc. The only thing they ask is that you stay on the trails to prevent erosion

Not all of Wasaga beach is a provincial park. If sections of this trail pass througha provincial park then provincial parks rules would apply. For what its worth there are rules of the trail provided by IMBA and its not just a free for all out there. Have some respect and learn something about mtn biking.

Just look at Kolapore for example...since you were the one to mention it. Kolapore is not actually an area for mtn biking. It is operated by a couple of groups as a cross country ski area for the winter only. Now mtn bikers have gone in and biked there and one has even tried suing for injuries...but just because it is there does not mean it is alright to ride there.

banned
    Mar 2005
    let it go

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    Thanks for the info JM01. The Ganaraska is very long and travels over both private and public lands. I thought that MTBing was only permitted on the public land areas. It could be different rules for different areas, I am not sure. What are the rules around Wasaga? The trails you show and ride, are they all on public lands, with the green light to MTBing? Thanks again for all the info. So many trails, so many different rules.
    hi PT...missed your note as i was with someone else

yes, the Ganaraska in Wasaga shares the trails with land thats part of the Wasaga Beach Provincial Park. Very few know, but this park is HUGE. Most think that its only the beach but it goes on for miles. The MNR also manages ajoining land, and Wasaga PP also manages Craigleith, Lorree Forest, Creemore, Springwater, and other parks in the area

The MNR asks that you respect park rules...no motorized vehicles, open fires, littering, hunting...these trails are for general use and biking is legal...the trails are maintained and a crew is sent out every few weeks to clear out fallen trees, brush, etc to ensure that its safe. The hiking club also marks stumps and roots with day-glo.

the Ganaraska is a combination of trails that cover both crown land and private property, like the Bruce and the snow mobile trails...in Wasaga, it shares crown land and the park system, so park rules apply...and bikes are welcome (but being selfish, it would be best to keep it a secret, as there are no crowds like the collingwood trails)

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    let it go
    fact is my friend that you cannot admit when you are wrong.
    If you care so much for those flat trails around the beah then why not set up a cycling association and go out and be proactive doing trail maintainance. Put your money where your mouth is and take care of mtn biking instead of just abusing trails like you are doing
    Hiking trails are set up for hiking and the hiking clubs like to take care of there trails and get [pissed when other groups abuse there trails when they are requested to stay off those trails or private property

banned
    Mar 2005
    this is gettin odd...i guess you have no idea who i am, what i do, and why i ride here with the senior MNR...yes i mainatain the trails, am involved in every aspect of keeping them viable, and and do everything i can to make this area fun for all

the hiking club is actually privilaged to share these trails...without the access it would not be able to go as far it does...it appreciates what the park does for them and reciprocates by helping out...sort of what the ski club does at Kolapore for The Town of Blue Mountains (which allows biking there, except for stupid lawyers)

yes i ride some private parts, have met some great property owners, and have explored opportunities for improvement...for hikers, bikers, and snow mobilers in the winter...even looked at opportunities for hunters that still are active in the back sections

it appears that you seem to have some sort of mental block that you insist on sharing with the world

so sad

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    actually you are very right...this is getting old. Having people ride where they shouldn't doesn't make any sense at all. But you have come straight out and said you enjoy it ..espically with the fact that you have never been caught! Thats really something to be proud of.

Your comments about how big the prov park is in Wasaga doesn't make any sense. It has boundaries that are within Wasaga town limits. So how it can be so huge according to you does not make sense.

In actual fact the Kolapore does not allow mtn biking or they would have responsibility. When you go in there you go at your own risk
    Obviously you live in little Wasaga beach or area and as such have that small town "i know everything mentality". You really ought to be more informed about things and discover that just because you think wasaga is the greatest little **** hole on earth there are much better laces out there once you get your head out of your ass

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy
    actually you are very right...this is getting old. Having people ride where they shouldn't doesn't make any sense at all. But you have come straight out and said you enjoy it ..espically with the fact that you have never been caught! Thats really something to be proud of.

Your comments about how big the prov park is in Wasaga doesn't make any sense. It has boundaries that are within Wasaga town limits. So how it can be so huge according to you does not make sense.

In actual fact the Kolapore does not allow mtn biking or they would have responsibility. When you go in there you go at your own risk
    Obviously you live in little Wasaga beach or area and as such have that small town "i know everything mentality". You really ought to be more informed about things and discover that just because you think wasaga is the greatest little **** hole on earth there are much better laces out there once you get your head out of your ass

odd, not old

you're weird...i could get to like this...

anyway, its thursday, noon, time to head up to wasaga and abuse some trails

cheers

banned
    Feb 2005

Ya Man

JM01 I am pickin up what you are putting down.
    It is time for us two to share.
    Check your PM.

banned
    Mar 2005
    hope it makes sense

cheers

banned
    Mar 2005
    hi there...hope the weekend was fun...as promised, i will be downloading some pics of signs on our local trails that i took on saturday when i get caught up at the office( probably within an hour or so), both MNR and Ganaraska trails.. These are what we use here to keep the trails managed and available for all to use, if everyone follows them, we will have the use of these for many years. So far, no problems, except for the ocassional ATV. I think i may have one of a day-glo root that the hiking club marks for us as well.

i took the liberty of printing your last posts and sharing them with a few people here...when we stopped laughing, the rep from the OPP reminded me that each year the MNR and OPP mark off about 6km of trails (actually the one in the last pic on post #1) and sponsor a bike-a-thon for the local kids to introduce them to off-road biking...a good time is had by all

the hiking club rep mentioned that the Ganaraska is a mixed use trail and is part of the snowmobile trails in the winter...they get chewed up every year, but its fun for all...the bikes and hikers are nothing compared to what these guys do

your notes are now in our file that we bring out at the christmas party...hope you don't mind that we read them out to the crew and share the fun...no harm intended, we just get a lot of funny notes that we share

more shortly
    Last edited by JM01; 07-18-2005 at 11:07 AM.

banned
    Mar 2005
    here we go

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy

more

Custom User Title
    Thanks JM01,

informative and helpful

do not let skihillguy get under your skin, like you said.."one of those guys just looking to whizz on someone's cornflakes" he does not even live in Ontario and should butt-out and/or read a little closer, before he resorts to his childish name calling.

thanks again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Now I know why I've been riding my road bike more often

But seriously, my overall opinion of trail access is that some people take it very seriously (to the point where the fun of mountain biking seems to run out) and others don't give a crap, ride wherever they wish, which is of course very wrong. I think there is a happy medium here somewhere.

I think to ENCOURAGE new people to mountain biking, some of which have probably read this thread, everyone needs to chill, keep to the facts, and promote biking in general, without all of these pointless details (not referring to this thread in particular being pointless, but it's the overall point I'm trying to stress here).

Anyway...

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    Now I know why I've been riding my road bike more often

But seriously, my overall opinion of trail access is that some people take it very seriously (to the point where the fun of mountain biking seems to run out) and others don't give a crap, ride wherever they wish, which is of course very wrong. I think there is a happy medium here somewhere.

I think to ENCOURAGE new people to mountain biking, some of which have probably read this thread, everyone needs to chill, keep to the facts, and promote biking in general, without all of these pointless details (not referring to this thread in particular being pointless, but it's the overall point I'm trying to stress here).

Anyway...
    couldn't agree more...actually, this thread was intended to be totally pointless...just some pics from a saturday ride to the beach through legal provincial trails...the weather was perfect, the kids on the beach were just getting ready for the evening fun, and everything was good. Didn't even expect a response.

Many of the staff at the MNR and OPP are mountain bike fanatics, do some serious riding, i ride occassionally with a person who used to ride with our national team (when he was much younger!)...everyone pitches in to keep these trails safe and encourage the kids with a dedicated OPP oficer who visits the schools and community groups to promote safe riding. I do my little part as well.

its been fun to share the ride...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Y'all seem to want to take shots at me for bringing real points of view to the table here. Just because your opinions don't match mine that doesn't mean i'm not right.
    In the pictures you posted above there is not one sign that makes reference to mtn biking being a permissable activity on those trails!

In fact one picture actually shows mtn bikes crossed through in red thus signalling mtn bikes not permitted

You say that you have set it to be able to cross private lands and the landowners are totally ok with that. What happens when someone gets injured and decides to sue who ever they can and that will usually include the landowner. The landowner is not going to take out insurance to cover people travelling through there property. In the winter the Ontario Snowmobile federations carries a huge policy which covers liability. That is why people that use the snowmobile trails have to pay huge trail fees.
    What group covers your trails????

In our neck of the woods our local bike association charges dues of $40 per year. Of that amount $27 goes towards insurance! a majority of the rest goes toward trail maintaince and the balance to helping promote riding to youth.

Now if you want to talk about riding with elite people..hell we race every week with the best canadian riders and some of the top American riders. They use our local races as training sessions.

I may not live in or around Collingwood any longer but does not mean i don't still care about how some people want to just ride anything they can find.

And on the point of just mentioning 2 shops in Collingwood...don't forget about Skiis and Biikes on first st and Little Ed's bike shop also on first st. And Sporting Life on Hurontario.

Well time for me to go out for my daily ride.....