24 Hrs of Albion course- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

24 Hrs of Albion course

Did 2 laps of the 24 hour course today. Much different than the June race so that should make some people happy. The first few KMs were fairly low key with little climbing and using the first bit of June's course. But after that things changed up and there were several sections I had never even ridden before. There is a lot more climbing on this course including a long killer, rooty climb which will surely be walked once the evening rolls around by many riders. Also, we head through the swampy section so hopefully it doesn't too slick in the night with the dew. I am glad that some of the sandy climbs have been taken out but that also means the pines section is mostly gone too. The trail across the road doesn't seem as bad as I remember and didn't take as long either. Took me about an hour at a mid-clip speed the first time around, a little more the 2nd. Laps should be around 50-60 mins I would imagine Overall a fun course.

I would highly recommend pre-riding if possible as there are several tight tricky sections sure to catch people off guard and cause a pile up.

As much as the course was different from June it is still on most of the same trails. I know Albion is a good venue for 24 hour races with the camping etc but next year I sure hope Chico thinks about using different venue's for the different races to mix things up a little bit. It is starting to get a little bit repeative (esp. when I am doing them mostly solo).

See everyone there (I'm doing tag team this go around).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

re: Hot August nights

Yup, should be a blast,
    where you riding a 29er?
    I rode mine there in June (summer soltice) and really liked the course, fast!! this years course with more hill climbs will definately test the strengh of alot of the riders for sure!

Verndogger

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I did two laps of the course today and was on my third when a wedding at the chalet interrupted my flow. I was steered off course and had a bit of a struggle trying to pick up the course where I wanted to without impeding on the wedding and getting hounded by ranger bob. Couple of nice climbs and some decent decents too.

edit: my first post!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon VernDog
    Yup, should be a blast,
    where you riding a 29er?
    I rode mine there in June (summer soltice) and really liked the course, fast!! this years course with more hill climbs will definately test the strengh of alot of the riders for sure!

Verndogger
    Yep I was on a Black Asylum 29er. I found there were some tight sections on the course and that is the one place the 29er struggles a bit. The June course was made for 29ers though. Still, should be fun.

Which 29er do you ride?

LBS Manager
    This course is so tame that I wish I owned a cyclocross bike. I think that someone with really good fitness and little to no bike handling skills could do really well on this course. It does have some tough climbs which I like but none of the single tracks are the challenging ones. I still think the race will be a lot of fun and I am looking forward to it but I might just go get a cross bike. This time I am on a 5 person team so I will spending alot more time on the trails see you out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

re:29er bike

Quote Originally Posted by sperky
    Yep I was on a Black Asylum 29er. I found there were some tight sections on the course and that is the one place the 29er struggles a bit. The June course was made for 29ers though. Still, should be fun.

Which 29er do you ride?
    I've been riding a spot brand 29er with a dekerf rigid fork and with the rohloff 14 speedhub,

Now I just have to hook up with a team for the weekend...

mtbr member

I don't get it...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    This course is so tame that I wish I owned a cyclocross bike. I think that someone with really good fitness and little to no bike handling skills could do really well on this course. It does have some tough climbs which I like but none of the single tracks are the challenging ones. I still think the race will be a lot of fun and I am looking forward to it but I might just go get a cross bike. This time I am on a 5 person team so I will spending alot more time on the trails see you out there.
    I recall reading similar posts following the set up of the course for the Solstice. I don't get what you guys expect from Albion. There are some tight singletrack sections inclusive of switchbacks and what not. I would suggest that for most riders inclusive of "citizen" types, the Sugar Shack Shuffle and The Epic Ride represent a couple of the most difficult sections of singletrack at Albion. There are some rooty areas too that will pose a challenge for many, especially at night...It's a fast course, which is great...

And to suggest the Chico guys (I know, it wasn't you) go somewhere else? They have it made there really. Sure, variety is key. But where else are you going to go that offers the same facilities/venue as Albion? Hardwood to camp in a field/parking lot? There just isn't the availability of a trail network that shares the camping facilities like Albion...If anyone wants to switch it up, perhaps an O-Cup at one of the other venues would be fun. I know it takes the team aspect out of things, but it's still racing...Just my $0.03.

Neil

Custom User Title
    I think that someone with really good fitness and little to no bike handling skills could do really well on this course.
    ...so you should do really well, once you improve your fitness.

hehe, just joking. really, just a joke.

it really not my place to speak up since I opt not to 24Hr. race, but I have to agree... these things are NOT organized to push the envolope of an experience riders abilities. they are meant to be riden day and night by a wide cross section of people.

if you want to join a race series or even race O-cup or Canada Cup and whine about it being to easy... then fine, and let your riding do your talking... but to repeatedly rip these fun events as being too easy gets tired.... they are simply not going to be able to put a demanding 10km loop into one of these events and set hundreds of people loose on it for 24 hours... it can't happen.

save up your pennies and go race Test of Metal or something where they do not encourage the weekend warriers to come out and have fun. then we can flip over to the western canada board and read them whine about how they had to "dumb down" their course to accomodate riders like a few around here.
    Last edited by Bill Payer; 08-14-2006 at 07:03 AM.
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    I recall reading similar posts following the set up of the course for the Solstice. I don't get what you guys expect from Albion.
    let me say that course if f'ed up.
    much of the single track is going to get real sketchy and despite the pre-ride ideal conditions, no rider blahblahblah i have heard, it will take its toll - traffic and abuse WILL lead to washouts, slides, sand and 'lessthanideal' lines IT WILL BE an interesting course. ted and crew, extra advil please.

perhaps we can light some trees on fire, install spikes at the corners and hoist pigmys into the trees - to drop rocks on riders.

i rode it friday night then again sunday...times were alright (if you're into that sort of thing) but the white flag is up, normally the one calling for more climbs - i may not ride it tuesday to recover...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    And to suggest the Chico guys (I know, it wasn't you) go somewhere else? They have it made there really. Sure, variety is key. But where else are you going to go that offers the same facilities/venue as Albion? Hardwood to camp in a field/parking lot? There just isn't the availability of a trail network that shares the camping facilities like Albion...If anyone wants to switch it up, perhaps an O-Cup at one of the other venues would be fun. I know it takes the team aspect out of things, but it's still racing...Just my $0.03.
    Neil
    For soloists the camping experience isn't part of the event, for teams it is a big part of the event.

I don't know if riders would be willing to camp without firepits, picnic tables, flushing toilets, shade, showers, dust, cars on their sites (not walking their gear a mile), all the teams with serviced hookups and a lake for swimming

If you don't mind camping in a dusty field, that is what is available elsewhere???

Looking for Adventure

That's the Key

Quote Originally Posted by chicoracing
    For soloists the camping experience isn't part of the event, for teams it is a big part of the event.

I don't know if riders would be willing to camp without firepits, picnic tables, flushing toilets, shade, showers, dust, cars on their sites (not walking their gear a mile), all the teams with serviced hookups and a lake for swimming

If you don't mind camping in a dusty field, that is what is available elsewhere???

The more difficult trail venues have virtually no facilities, for those who remember the now historical 24 Hours of Adrenaline races. To hang out in a remote, open, treeless farmers field far from the race course with "team" camp space of about 10 feet by 10 feet, that was prisoner of war material. In those days the well heeled got team group tents with lots of space and showers, a mess hall, 24 hour chefs, and all the comforts of home, while the less influencial got the war field 1-2 kms away. If you were the lucky 20%, it was a great time. As for the rest.........you didn't do much hanging around your tent site.

Chico, you know your numbers. You can't please everyone, including myself sometimes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey Chico, don't get me wrong, your events are top notch and you are right about the solo camping. Perhaps I should try a 5 person team to get a different feel for the race.

I know you were considering Hardwood a few years ago before the Adrenalin issues. What made you back away from pursuing it further after those issues had passed? True much of the camping is in a field but I wouldn't say the sites were any further than some of the sites at Albion from the start/finish. Field camping is a fact of life for most 24 hour events...just bring an awning. Flush Toilets....Hardwood has 3, Albion 2...the rest are portapotties. I'm no expert in event management (obviously) but ideas besides Hardwood: Dagmar has a fair bit of space (if you could get them to let you use their facility), other ski areas?, Mansfield?, Not sure if these places could accomodate the same numbers you get at Albion or not. Anyone else have any ideas?

mtbr member
    I recall reading similar posts following the set up of the course for the Solstice. I don't get what you guys expect from Albion. There are some tight singletrack sections inclusive of switchbacks and what not. I would suggest that for most riders inclusive of "citizen" types, the Sugar Shack Shuffle and The Epic Ride represent a couple of the most difficult sections of singletrack at Albion. There are some rooty areas too that will pose a challenge for many, especially at night...It's a fast course, which is great...

Neil
    Neil, I agree 100%. Let's not forget it's an XC RACE after all... And as far as xc goes, I'd say there's good amount of "technical" riding there.
    Just like I said in the now infamous thread after the Solstice race, where would people like to see a 24hr race happen? Hilton Falls Bent Rim trail?? Is that gnarly enough?? But wait, no climbs with all those TV-sized boulders... Or maybe as Peter suggested, we should be running the racers through gauntlets of some sort?
    The funny thing is, the same people that last time would complain about the course not being technical enough would also whine about too many "citizens" on the course slowing them down... If some of those singletracks got any more technical (to a below average, "citizen" riders), those faster riders would be virtualy doing trackstands trying to pass people walking their bikes every 50 meters...
    So unless we want Chico to say outright something like "Those with less than 5 years of singletrack riding experience need not apply" (which I think would be wrong - after all we do want to attract new riders to the sport, right?), courses will get only so difficult.

And lastly, to those that suggest Albion courses are boring and repetitive - please suggest a different venue that has 20-30km of trails to choose from, is NOT 100km+ away from GTA, has great camping facilities etc...
    There's only so many trails at Albion, of course after a while you'll remember them all like the back of your hand, but still, I think Chico is doing great job of connecting all those trails together to offer something different each time.

Arek
    Last edited by Arek; 08-14-2006 at 10:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The vast majority of our riders who compete with teams will not bring their families to a field for a weekend of camping.

I think I've spelled out the reasoning.

You are right that field camping is a fact of life for most 24 hour events in the US and across Canada. 24 hour racing is on a huge decline. I wonder why?

Fact is that our 24 Hour events are the most successful in North America and I think Albion's facility has a lot to do with it.

Hey Chico, don't get me wrong, your events are top notch and you are right about the solo camping. Perhaps I should try a 5 person team to get a different feel for the race.

I know you were considering Hardwood a few years ago before the Adrenalin issues. What made you back away from pursuing it further after those issues had passed? True much of the camping is in a field but I wouldn't say the sites were any further than some of the sites at Albion from the start/finish. Field camping is a fact of life for most 24 hour events...just bring an awning. Flush Toilets....Hardwood has 3, Albion 2...the rest are portapotties. I'm no expert in event management (obviously) but ideas besides Hardwood: Dagmar has a fair bit of space (if you could get them to let you use their facility), other ski areas?, Mansfield?, Not sure if these places could accomodate the same numbers you get at Albion or not. Anyone else have any ideas?

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    too many "citizens" on the course slowing them down... If some of those singletracks got any more technical (to a below average, "citizen" riders), those riders would be virtualy doing trackstands trying to pass people walking their bikes every 50 meters...
    i am soooo running you over this tyme around...but you dont need to worry about okkie, he is running one of them fast plastic bikes this tyme. if he so much as contacts another rider it is likely to evaporate into a cloud of $5k dust...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

NormalNorm
    [QUOTE=chicoracing]The vast majority of our riders who compete with teams will not bring their families to a field for a weekend of camping.

QUOTE]

The camping is the best part of racing at Albion Hills. I bring up my kids and we have a blast.....swimming, paddle boats, hikes, BBQing, etc. My kids look forward to the race more than I do, just for this reason. Don't get me wrong, I always love the course/race, but the social aspect is great. Gives family and friends a reason to go MTBing and camping. Just think of Hardwood....+35C.....and that smell. Chico, don't change a thing.

sock puppet

Nooooooooo.......

PLEASE, PLEASE dont change the site... Albion HIlls is THE BEST venue in Ontario - possibly in Canada... Campsites with hydro and water, washrooms with showers, enough trees to hide under the sun... lots of space...

dont even mention Hardwood.... camping experience is PAINFUL at hardwood...

Since I have joined Tuesday Night FUN racing series, i have a great deal of MORE respect for Chico boys... They are really very successful in designing different and challenging courses every Tuesday... we havent ridden two of the same courses since it started in June....

i know i gave Chico somewhat hard time with course design for 24 hours races, but i have retracted since...

it doesnt get much better than what Chico is giving us... we are just too spoiled because we have the opportunity to race the largest 24 hour event in North America....

lets support Chico as much as we can - without them, the MTB scene in Ontario would be a scary thought...

cheers...

sock puppet

whatchout boi....

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    i am soooo running you over this tyme around...but you dont need to worry about okkie, he is running one of them fast plastic bikes this tyme. if he so much as contacts another rider it is likely to evaporate into a cloud of $5k dust...
    you must have been dancing that "rain dance" so that i dont race next weekend - well, i am not... darn schedules overlapped and i had to commit to something else... arghhhh...

otherwise, i'd be looking for your sorry arse on my suppaduppa light bike to kicking it from behind... and i know you wouldnt want to fight me because you are a lover, not a fighter... right...

i am trying to put my plastic bike together for Tuesday race tomorrow.... grrr... Magura didnt have calipers in stock and i need one... i'll have to move it from my squishy to HT...

please do come out tomorrow.... you will have enough time to recover till the weekend...

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    please do come out tomorrow.... you will have enough time to recover till the weekend...
    i have a small vial of superglue (not to be confused with superlight) that you can borrow to piece your bicycle together...i guess with all those small parts it is a level 3...will you use those tiny jars of paint before or after assy???

i said i wasnt coming...now i am saying that i am going but not riding...give it tyme. when 7p rolls around i will line up and ride like an idiot for 20minutes then suck wind for the next 40...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

sock puppet

thats my boy....

i have a small vial of superglue (not to be confused with superlight) that you can borrow to piece your bicycle together...i guess with all those small parts it is a level 3...will you use those tiny jars of paint before or after assy???

i said i wasnt coming...now i am saying that i am going but not riding...give it tyme. when 7p rolls around i will line up and ride like an idiot for 20minutes then suck wind for the next 40...
    just finished building the toy... dont need more glue, hopefully i will keep claiming that after tomorrow... i'll come out an hour earlier to fine tune it... i know it is not a good idea to ride a new bike in a race-like environment, but i just can't wait... i'll probably suck too...

LBS Manager
    The coments I made about the trail selection were not ment to get people started on this lets move the venue rant. I think Albion hills is the best place for this type of event and Chico are the best guys to do it. I am not the racer boy type who cares about having lots wide open areas to pass people so I would perfer about twice as much single track thats all. I understand that you need double track on a race course but it just seems to me that this course has more than ever. I have done almost every 24 hours of summer soltice event that chico has done and every one of them has been a blast. I am not complaining I am just saying that I would like to see more single track even if it ment that lap times were slower. I am sure by my fith lap I will regret saying that. I might even be tempted try a single speed if I get all loopy after to much caffine and sugar.

mtbr member

:)

i am soooo running you over this tyme around...
    You'll have to do that (or try to) tonight though, as unfortunately I'm not doing the 24hr thing... - no team (or funds, for that matter )...

Looking for Adventure

Yup, I second that too

My kids and wife (who don't really ride) like coming out to the event as well.

Misfit Psycles
    The coments I made about the trail selection were not ment to get people started on this lets move the venue rant.
    sure sure. we should have posted signs.

I am sure by my fith lap I will regret saying that. I might even be tempted try a single speed if I get all loopy after to much caffine and sugar.
    There will be a stack, same bat time, same bat place...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

LBS Manager
    I know where to find you if I want to ride a Misfit but the only single speeds that realy apeal to me are sub 20 pounds rockets. I feel if you are going to have the disadvantage of no gears you should reap some pretty serious weight benifits. Say a light ti or scandium frame with a SID and extralight build thats the only way I will ever concider joining the single speed cult.

sock puppet

pfffftt...

I know where to find you if I want to ride a Misfit but the only single speeds that realy apeal to me are sub 20 pounds rockets. I feel if you are going to have the disadvantage of no gears you should reap some pretty serious weight benifits. Say a light ti or scandium frame with a SID and extralight build thats the only way I will ever concider joining the single speed cult.
    you would put a suspension fork on that beauty???

that is for pu$$ies... rigid is for men...

LBS Manager
    you would put a suspension fork on that beauty???

that is for pu$$ies... rigid is for men...
    If putting a suspension fork on a bike makes you a pu$$y then what dose that say about you ridding a Truth or better yet your id?

Misfit Psycles
    well clearly you know what you are looking for. and no, a misfit is not right for you.

SID on a single...sounds like somebody is looking to make a $3000 mistake. its all good, the market (and ebay) need buyers like that. but can i have your Ti cogs when you are done?

***can you shorten your quote a bit pls (i will correct the spelling) i need a new signature and okkie is being all nice...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Misfit Psycles
    If putting a suspension fork on a bike makes you a pu$$y then what dose that say about you ridding a Truth or better yet your id?
    neither are singles...yet.
    remember the cult???

goat slaughter at 630...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

sock puppet

ohhhh.....

you busted me.... i am a double pu$$y...

DONT TELL NOGEARS - pleeeeeeease... okay?

thanks bro... i owe you...

More than a little slow
    Laps should be around 50-60 mins I would imagine..... See everyone there (I'm doing tag team this go around).
    Persay Racing is going to get their butts kicked eh? We ( tag team Handsome and Chatty aka.... well ya know who I am) are going to ride so fast that our dust won't have time to settle before we come around again. There's climbs on this course I hear. We love climbs, never take the escalator or the elevator ( except on occasion to go down so that we can climb again ). You guys have got your special team jerseys made? With Persay Racing in the middle of a big yellow WARNING triangle? After all you guys won't have that handy SLOO tag to hang on the back this time will ya? Not that it makes any difference, I can't read that fast anyway.
    I'm looking forward to talking to you before the race and afterwards, but we're gonna whup ya during.

I'm starting to enjoy this race already
    Cheers, Dave
    Last edited by dskunk; 08-15-2006 at 03:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk
    Persay Racing is going to get their buts kicked eh? We ( tag team Handsome and Chatty aka.... well ya know who I am) are going to ride so fast that our dust won't have time to settle before we come around again. There's climbs on this course I hear. We love climbs, never take the escalator or the elevator ( except on occasion to go down so that we can climb again ). You guys have got your special team jerseys made? With Persay Racing in the middle of a big yellow WARNING triangle? After all you guys won't have that handy SLOO tag to hang on the back this time will ya? Not that it makes any difference, I can't read that fast anyway.
    I'm looking forward to talking to you before the race and afterwards, but we're gonna whup ya during.

I'm starting to enjoy this race already
    Cheers, Dave
    One of you is handsome? Hopefully you can ride as fast as you talk. But I doubt it.

Whatever you do don't bend your fork....I'd hate for you to use that as your excuse for not completing/losing the race (within a race)!

rad to the power of sick
    Ill be there but not racing. I have no money. Just gonna sit around cheer some friends on and be their mechanic/on site beer consumer. Im definitely gonna rip a few laps before the race starts though...
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    Ill be there but not racing. I have no money. Just gonna sit around cheer some friends on and be their mechanic/on site beer consumer. Im definitely gonna rip a few laps before the race starts though...
    i'll give you 50$ for your byke.
    loan you a demo.
    AND let you do a lap...bring your own crash pads and tubes.
    not bad for a days work.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

sock puppet

the course is a killa

loan you a demo.
    not bad for a days work.
    got me huffing and puffing, even laid a smack on me - a good one too... if they included sugar shack climb, they wouldnt have missed a single toughest climb of the "Hills... no kidding.... even Adam's revenge climb is there this time around... well, green monster is not there so guess we got off easy...

impressive course...

nogears - great ride tonight... i guess those Hammer steroids worked well... to bad for the walk up the Adam's revenge hill - you have to redeem yourself at the race... also, dont brake when you see citizens in front of you at the bottom of the hill... just hammer...

i am not racing this weekend... and i cant get over it... have to be somewhere else at the same time - really have to be there... oh well... good luck to everyone and have fun... sperky and skunky - keep it civilized... dont be like nogears and suppaduppa...

More than a little slow
    One of you is handsome?
    So handsome it hurts. And my partner? Man, can he talk.
    Sperky, ďsighĒ. Bent forks? Did I mention how prepared we are for this race? Bent forks and tacoíd front wheels are just an excuse for us to show off our off-road wheelie speed, practiced and perfected just for this race. Broken derailleurs and we go single speed. Break a frame and we are prepared to grab a trike from one of the kids in the kidís race
    (civilized we ainít), wonít slow us down at all.
    By the way, I havenít ridden this course yet, but Iíve looked at the map. Iím having trouble picturing where this ďtough rooty climbĒ is. Wanna help a pal out and let me know about it? It looks on the map like itís close to the Sugar shack but I canít place it at all.
    Chico, we love ya .We love your races, we love the courses, (climbs eh? Lots of climbing), we love the bands, and the camping and the beer (Wellington rocks!). But most of all we love the way the little dings and scrapes on the trail (like that pothole on the downhill during the last race ) get plastered and polished so quickly afterwards. I personally however am sick and tired of not winning a bike ever when you have one to raffle off. This time please get Hugh to come and give me one of his TN frames, Iíll even accept one of those ugly Misfit thingys, lol , (Rudeskunkb0y, sounds good?)
    Cheers, Dave

Misfit Psycles
    your trash talk is good grasshopper...but it is not great. you must never ask for help (at any time) during the discourse. remember. you know that hill, that hill is nothing to you...

God damn them all! I was told
    We 'd cruise the seas for American gold.
    We 'dfire no guns! Shed no tears!
    But I 'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
    The last of Barrett's Privateers.

Iíll even accept one of those ugly Misfit thingys, lol , (Rudeskunkb0y, sounds good?)
    Sean and Adam are aware of the requirements...but if i can win a road bike...anything goes.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member

Rooty Climb...I can assist

So handsome it hurts. And my partner? Man, can he talk.
    Sperky, ďsighĒ. Bent forks? Did I mention how prepared we are for this race? Bent forks and tacoíd front wheels are just an excuse for us to show off our off-road wheelie speed, practiced and perfected just for this race. Broken derailleurs and we go single speed. Break a frame and we are prepared to grab a trike from one of the kids in the kidís race
    (civilized we ainít), wonít slow us down at all.
    By the way, I havenít ridden this course yet, but Iíve looked at the map. Iím having trouble picturing where this ďtough rooty climbĒ is. Wanna help a pal out and let me know about it? It looks on the map like itís close to the Sugar shack but I canít place it at all.
    Chico, we love ya .We love your races, we love the courses, (climbs eh? Lots of climbing), we love the bands, and the camping and the beer (Wellington rocks!). But most of all we love the way the little dings and scrapes on the trail (like that pothole on the downhill during the last race ) get plastered and polished so quickly afterwards. I personally however am sick and tired of not winning a bike ever when you have one to raffle off. This time please get Hugh to come and give me one of his TN frames, Iíll even accept one of those ugly Misfit thingys, lol , (Rudeskunkb0y, sounds good?)
    Cheers, Dave
    Not sure if you run on Tuesday nights at all. But occasionally there is a rather fast downhill that gets thrown in as you come out of Woo Wu. This is not the regular downhill coming out of there that is part of the black trail. The downhill I refer is best explained like this...Heading through Woo Wu, coming out of the shady, bumpy, pine forest you go almost immediately right, down a little right hander woopdido. It then picks up speed gradually while turning slightly left, dropping off quite a bit with the roots and off camber on your right. If you were to continue, you would head back towards the Chalet. Well, this is not a downhill we speak of because we are going up it...And it's a killer. I maxed out the HR heading up it last night and haven't done that all season. Hope this helps, but it may not because if not often used or part of a regular loop...

Neil

sock puppet

damn...

Not sure if you run on Tuesday nights at all. But occasionally there is a rather fast downhill that gets thrown in as you come out of Woo Wu. This is not the regular downhill coming out of there that is part of the black trail. The downhill I refer is best explained like this...Heading through Woo Wu, coming out of the shady, bumpy, pine forest you go almost immediately right, down a little right hander woopdido. It then picks up speed gradually while turning slightly left, dropping off quite a bit with the roots and off camber on your right. If you were to continue, you would head back towards the Chalet. Well, this is not a downhill we speak of because we are going up it...And it's a killer. I maxed out the HR heading up it last night and haven't done that all season. Hope this helps, but it may not because if not often used or part of a regular loop...

Neil
    why dont you just let the bastard suffer... when he sees the wall of dirt right in front of his nose, he'll know he'd hit the rooty climb...

it's only pain... it is temporary... winning is forever...

More than a little slow
    Osokolo, I like you, you've got class, you've got style, but I climb like a billy goat and smell like one too so I MIGHT not notice this rooty and so called "tough" climb. (That's mostly for Sperky's benefit)
    Mtbmeister, Thankyou sir. I think I've placed it. During Summer Solstice we climbed up from the road, past the water station and turned right onto singletrack, right? To get to this rooty climb (from the top) we would go more less straight instead of turning?
    God damn them all! The WPA version of course? This trash talk is tough, my friend.
    Cheers, Dave

Misfit Psycles
    This trash talk is tough, my friend.
    Cheers, Dave
    at least as important as the race result themselves. and if iz impotent, iz gonna look impotent!
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

sock puppet
    Osokolo, I like you,
    that makes you the second person on this planet. my mother is the other one...

you've got class, you've got style, but I climb like a billy goat and smell like one too so I MIGHT not notice this rooty and so called "tough" climb.
    i can only confirm the smell...

(That's mostly for Sperky's benefit)
    Mtbmeister, Thankyou sir. I think I've placed it. During Summer Solstice we climbed up from the road, past the water station and turned right onto singletrack, right? To get to this rooty climb (from the top) we would go more less straight instead of turning?
    God damn them all! The WPA version of course? This trash talk is tough, my friend.
    Cheers, Dave
    i only remember that was the way we got out, after climbing the sucker... you sure you got it right?

More than a little slow
    i only remember that was the way we got out, after climbing the sucker... you sure you got it right?
    I think so, dear, if I wanted to go down that climb, right ?

sock puppet

ummm... right...

I think so, dear, if I wanted to go down that climb, right ?
    should have known you were thinking backwards... you riding singlespeed too?

rad to the power of sick
    loan you a demo.
    not bad for a days work.
    Tell ya what Ill give you an autographed picture of my bike for 50$ And my left speedplay pedal as collateral when i loan your misfit.

And the pads and tubes... I dunno I dont think that horse is waking up no matter how hard the whip is.

chores,
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Handsome and Chatty

Handsome and Chatty I hope you guys are able to beat the "out of shape version" of PerSay racing. I can tell you that the "Say" side of the team has done most of his training riding down to McDonalds on St.Clair. Further, I believe I've hone my technical skills by navigating the speed bumps on the way there.

Should you "old" guys lose to us, it might be time to retire to the old age home.

Good luck. I'll be sure to say hi each time I pass you guys.

Mark.

mtbr member

Nope, you haven't placed it...

Osokolo, I like you, you've got class, you've got style, but I climb like a billy goat and smell like one too so I MIGHT not notice this rooty and so called "tough" climb. (That's mostly for Sperky's benefit)
    Cheers, Dave
    No, that climb is not the one I refer. We actually come down that this weekend. However, if you were to picture where you mentioned we turn right into the singletrack after the water station...The climb is found by not turning right and going straight at the top of hill prior to turning. As I said, you may not have ever/normally used that trail...It's a biotch coming up though...I assure you of that...Solos will be walking I would say.

More than a little slow
    No, that climb is not the one I refer.
    Hmmm. I think I'm going to have to ride the course before the race.
    Solos will be walking I would say.
    Solos should never walk, they should just go very very slow.

NatureBoy, no excuses. Speedbumps are tricky, St Clair is dug up more or less like singletrack and it's uphill going home for ya. And to top it off eating Micky D's is like practicing with gels, no teeth required. You should be good to go.
    I still aim to whup you guys. I shall stop by to say hello before the race, won't have time during.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Hmmm. I think I'm going to have to ride the course before the race.

Solos should never walk, they should just go very very slow.

NatureBoy, no excuses. Speedbumps are tricky, St Clair is dug up more or less like singletrack and it's uphill going home for ya. And to top it off eating Micky D's is like practicing with gels, no teeth required. You should be good to go.
    I still aim to whup you guys. I shall stop by to say hello before the race, won't have time during.
    Cheers, Dave
    The rooty climb was on the Hot August nights 2004 course at the midway point. I remember it getting slick through the night (it dropped to 3 degrees that night, so much for Hot August Nights)

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdoff
    The rooty climb was on the Hot August nights 2004 course at the midway point. I remember it getting slick through the night (it dropped to 3 degrees that night, so much for Hot August Nights)
    Good good good. I do believe I've got it. I like that climb, I've only done it once or twice.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like that climb, I've only done it once or twice.
    Cheers, Dave
    So you've only done it once or twice at the HOA event? Must be because you walked it the rest of the time. I don't even think I'll be out of the big ring on that climb, let alone anywhere else on the course.

sock puppet
    I shall stop by to say hello before the race, won't have time during.
    Cheers, Dave

whats the big deal about saying hello???

i prefer spitting in general direction... compared to nogears greetings, even that is way too civilized...

sock puppet

you were in the race girl...

therefore, Hot August Nights was appropriate designation...

mtbr member
    Not sure, but I do believe thats a compliment(Correct me if I'm wrong). I am always intrigued by your sarcastic wit but I am never certain with you if there is some off hand hidden meaning behind it. We rarely see you being so nice.

sock puppet

mmmmmkay....

Not sure, but I do believe thats a compliment(Correct me if I'm wrong). I am always intrigued by your sarcastic wit but I am never certain with you if there is some off hand hidden meaning behind it. We rarely see you being so nice.
    i got your attention... that is always the hardest part...

i knew you didnt mind when someone called you "chick" as long as it's done with respect...

of course it was a compliment...

Misfit Psycles
    Tell ya what Ill give you an autographed picture of my bike for 50$ And my left speedplay pedal as collateral when i loan your misfit.
    well i have seen you ride...if you try to steal it i would be able to catch you on foot...backwards...asleep.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Tire Selection for a wet course

There is a 30% chance of rain for both days. What tires do you guys suggest running when the course is wet. I was planning on running Pythons if it was dry.

mtbr member

Run the Pythons...

Quote Originally Posted by gregz12
    There is a 30% chance of rain for both days. What tires do you guys suggest running when the course is wet. I was planning on running Pythons if it was dry.
    I have been running Pythons exclusively for four years now with most of my riding at Albion. Only if it's run substantially are they sketchy. And I am not sure when you were there last, but it is brutally dry. It would take a substantial lengthy rainfall to worry about switching to something as a wet weather tire...My $0.02.

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by gregz12
    I seriously hated Pythons when it was wet... I have ridden at some really muddy events in the past, but I just like to avoid them now. I have used the Medusa at Albion when it was a bit wet - not really muddy though and they worked well. Albion has sections with clay and lots of roots - when they get rain, don't expect any tire to save you, it comes down to rider ability.

I've heard the Serac is a good option too - but I haven't used them in mud.

30% chance of rain? It probably won't rain and you will have more of a challenge with the course breaking up because it is too dry.

Have fun!

Good Luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    well i have seen you ride...if you try to steal it i would be able to catch you on foot...backwards...asleep.
    Oh yeah?!?!??!

Well i've seen you chase someone on foot, backwards and asleep and let me tell you, mister, if you were chasing my vinyl-humping buddy Aaron i'd chase you walking on my hands, backwards, asleep, with one arm tied behind my back, catch you, kick your a$$ and permanently borrow your bike without permission.

(crosses arms high on chest)

Yo!

Okay, who's next on the "i'm so cool I can ..... " list?

Oh, btw, i'd probably give up chasing you just to get to the good stuff, get on The Bastard, point, and run you over. I think you'd feel like a 4" curb. That, and I believe Aaron only steals bikes that are complete.

As oso said - good luck to all!!!!!!!!!! Remember to have fun amongst the laps, eh?!?!?!? (by fun I mean, of course, giving slower riders a hard time )
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by airman
    I seriously hated Pythons when it was wet... I have ridden at some really muddy events in the past, but I just like to avoid them now. I have used the Medusa at Albion when it was a bit wet - not really muddy though and they worked well. Albion has sections with clay and lots of roots - when they get rain, don't expect any tire to save you, it comes down to rider ability.

I've heard the Serac is a good option too - but I haven't used them in mud.

30% chance of rain? It probably won't rain and you will have more of a challenge with the course breaking up because it is too dry.

Have fun!

Good Luck

I have a pair of Kevlar 1.8" Panaracer FireXC Pros with Pythons. I was thinking of running just the Panaracers because it *MAY* rain, and they are the same weight as the 2.0 Pythons.

Good idea??

Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    I have a pair of Kevlar 1.8" Panaracer FireXC Pros with Pythons. I was thinking of running just the Panaracers because it *MAY* rain, and they are the same weight as the 2.0 Pythons.

Good idea??
    FireXCs dont shed mud very well. I would go with a different tire for those conditions.
    That being said, with the sandy soil conditions at albion, I have never had problems with mud sticking to any tire. The biggest problem is slick roots. I will be bringing specialized roll-x

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Alright, the race is tomorrow... We're leaving from Montreal in a couple of minutes... This year we only have 2 teams... VeloEpic 1 and VeloEpic 2... If you see us with our blue shirts come and say hi!

www.clubveloepic.org - To check out the jersey... and to check out the report once we come back!

ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

bi-winning
    I'll be there, this time with about twice as many riders on the team as last time. Should be more fun and less pain.

But, my prediction is that it will rain. Probably only a little bit though.

I just go back from 4 days of camping, so i should be "well rested."

Have a good race everyone!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

bi-winning

Ok, I'll chime in.

This time was a much different 24h experience for me. I was on a 7 man team, compaired to 4 last time. Much more fun.

On my first lap, i had a terribly shaky start, and too much air pressure in the front tire. However, once i setteled down i was ok, and had lots of fun.

You can't go wrong with a good group of guys who are all there for the same reason as you.

We put out 23 laps. Not bad, but not at the same level as some of the teams out there.

Speaking of which, i got ****** pwned by a ****** misfit not sure which one of them rascals it was, but dang... It was between 2-3pm sat. Gotta say congrats nogears. 4th is incredible. You guys are good.

Personally my laps were 55, 58, and 1:01. I felt the worst on my first lap, yet it was my fastest. The second i felt great, but was surprised that i was slower. Perhaps night was a factor. Both lap 2 and 3 for me were dark.

So, overall i had a great time. Wall of pain and monte added some challenge to the course this time. Most riders agreed that this course was tougher than the solstice. To quote a teamate - "if you don't like this course, you don't like mountain biking"

Other notes, sad to hear some kid had his kikapu stolen.
    Also, people cheated at solstice apparently! wtf.

Norm is gunna send me some pictures, so hopefully we can post a few.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

sock puppet

what? nogears won 4th?

geez... so what is it? only 4 teams in his category?

i know i wasnt there, but i expected more people that could somewhat ride their bikes around the trail which would be sufficient to beat nogears and misfits...

this world must be coming to an end....

tuesday race will be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    This time was a much different 24h experience for me. I was on a 7 man team, compaired to 4 last time. Much more fun.

On my first lap, i had a terribly shaky start, and too much air pressure in the front tire. However, once i setteled down i was ok, and had lots of fun.

You can't go wrong with a good group of guys who are all there for the same reason as you.

We put out 23 laps. Not bad, but not at the same level as some of the teams out there.

Speaking of which, i got ****** pwned by a ****** misfit not sure which one of them rascals it was, but dang... It was between 2-3pm sat. Gotta say congrats nogears. 4th is incredible. You guys are good.

Personally my laps were 55, 58, and 1:01. I felt the worst on my first lap, yet it was my fastest. The second i felt great, but was surprised that i was slower. Perhaps night was a factor. Both lap 2 and 3 for me were dark.

So, overall i had a great time. Wall of pain and monte added some challenge to the course this time. Most riders agreed that this course was tougher than the solstice. To quote a teamate - "if you don't like this course, you don't like mountain biking"

Other notes, sad to hear some kid had his kikapu stolen.

Norm is gunna send me some pictures, so hopefully we can post a few.

bi-winning
    geez... so what is it? only 4 teams in his category?

i know i wasnt there, but i expected more people that could somewhat ride their bikes around the trail which would be sufficient to beat nogears and misfits...

this world must be coming to an end....

tuesday race will be interesting...
    Club Velo Epic could ride. Lots of them actually on the podium.

rad to the power of sick
    Definitely a great course... I played the team support role this weekend but managed to get in a lap before the race. 53.45 with no traffic...dont know if my legs would have held up for more than a few laps though.

The team i was mech'ing for was the Uof Guelph mtb team.. we had 3 riders trying racing for the first time and they all managed times between 1hr and 1.10 which was pretty impressive. The other two guys boxed in some impressive 52's. Overall we finished 6/11 and our team was quite happy for this. Pics to come.

bi-winning
    Pics to come.

Misfit Psycles

was no me. i was second. good laps for me once the hang over was gone, no hour laps. and that included 2 night laps with light failures. let me tell you, running only one light at the min 5 watts was kinda like having a magic light...everywhere i looked it was smooth at clear...you know, till you hit something. man i'm glad i live at albion.

4th...yup, what is wrong with this sport??? there was some seriously bunched spandex. oggeypoggey it was a great course, up up away!

and it is true, i saw many many cheaters. less marshals and several overlaps in the course. on my last lap there was this one sob i passed three times...oh well, i just couldn't look those idiots (back at the site) in the eyes if i cut the course...plus think of my fans...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Club Velo Epic could ride. Lots of them actually on the podium.
    ...just got back in Montreal... We had 2 teams... both finished in 3rd position. We beated the guys with "nogears"... Good lookin bikes tough... We did 27 laps... I personnally did 49 // 49 // 55 // 56 // 52 for my laps. We all had a blast... I won a big ass bike rack... almost didn't have room to bring it back home... Would have prefered a NiteRider light! More compact! lol!

We'll keep you posted with pictures of the event most likely in the next few days... Now i'm pooped and going to bed!

sock puppet

kidding aside...

you singlespeed boys are animals...

i was pacing nogears last tuesday on this course and he was flying... i could pass him on the longer flat section - (yes i could - i have more gears) but he was fast on the singletrack... i was riding my new hardtail for the first time (ever) and was having difficulties controling it - to the extent of suffering a high speed crash off the trail, after which i lost nogears and couldnt catch him...

long story short - single speed racing is crazy... single speed with rigid fork racing is f-ing crazy...

i cant wait tuesday's fun race... that is crazy too...

was no me. i was second. good laps for me once the hang over was gone, no hour laps. and that included 2 night laps with light failures. let me tell you, running only one light at the min 5 watts was kinda like having a magic light...everywhere i looked it was smooth at clear...you know, till you hit something. man i'm glad i live at albion.

4th...yup, what is wrong with this sport??? there was some seriously bunched spandex. oggeypoggey it was a great course, up up away!

and it is true, i saw many many cheaters. less marshals and several overlaps in the course. on my last lap there was this one sob i passed three times...oh well, i just couldn't look those idiots (back at the site) in the eyes if i cut the course...plus think of my fans...

mtbr member
    you singlespeed boys are animals...

i was pacing nogears last tuesday on this course and he was flying... i could pass him on the longer flat section - (yes i could - i have more gears) but he was fast on the singletrack... i was riding my new hardtail for the first time (ever) and was having difficulties controling it - to the extent of suffering a high speed crash off the trail, after which i lost nogears and couldnt catch him...

long story short - single speed racing is crazy... single speed with rigid fork racing is f-ing crazy...

i cant wait tuesday's fun race... that is crazy too...
    There you go Peter. You got him!!!! Reel him in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go, oso, go to The Dark Side!

I stopped by on Saturday night to see if I could find some faces ..... holy friggin GHOST TOWN!!!!!!!!!! Compared to the Solstice the place was virtually empty. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Hopefully everyone made it through the weekend safe. Post those pics!

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO

I stopped by on Saturday night to see if I could find some faces ..... holy friggin GHOST TOWN!!!!!!!!!! Compared to the Solstice the place was virtually empty. I couldn't believe my eyes.
    They should abolish that bloody 11pm quiet hour nonsense. I want 24hrs of party. Besides all the good house/trance radio shows come on at midnight. Especially at the startline. Its soo dead and cold at 2am. Surely a little music will warm things up.

Mar 2006
    Well I loved the course too. The main things that slowed me down were the sand, and not being able to see some of the trail contours at night. But I had the dusk and dawn laps, still my favourites. Nothin like a faceplant into a sandy gulley at 4am. Got a few laughs around the trail and back at the site cause I was completely covered.
    We had an 8 person team this time, our largest yet, though a couple of the girls only wanted to do one lap. Yeah it did seem that attendance was down from last years august race, we had the same site and there was a few empty ones around us. So no noise complaints, our site was rockin into the night

bi-winning

First Picture

Only one at the moment, due to technical difficulties. More to come.

mtbr member
    Big Jay: I personnally did 49 // 49 // 55 // 56 // 52 for my laps.

Wow, that is beyond impressive. I went through the course Saturday morning in 1:06:33. I will blame my performance on a 160km road ride I did 2 days before. Seriously, I doubt I could come anywhere close to 1 hour. You guys are quite amazing!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Misfit Psycles
    They should abolish that bloody 11pm quiet hour nonsense. I want 24hrs of party. Besides all the good house/trance radio shows come on at midnight. Especially at the startline. Its soo dead and cold at 2am. Surely a little music will warm things up.
    i think sean and adam are just shy of god status (most of you know that) but i do think that the late nights at albion are missing something that the olde 24hr races had, night life. theme party at the half way feed stn, music, noise...not obscene loud - just a little life.

this is likely a problem caused by the campings proximity to the start/finish...a real plus under most circumstances but rough when it comes to noise.

what about a 24hr in exile - campground and misfit dance party...? that could work..."tick this box if you want to stay awake..."
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by serious

Wow, that is beyond impressive. I went through the course Saturday morning in 1:06:33. I will blame my performance on a 160km road ride I did 2 days before. Seriously, I doubt I could come anywhere close to 1 hour. You guys are quite amazing!
    impressive to be sure.
    i was stuck mid 50's...if i hadn't watered the two teams down (self doubting) and i had put MYSELF on the B team they might have given that Velo crew a run...i wasnt going to break 52 though...nope.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Wow..kudos, good times indeed. I pushed roughly 54 (4pm) // 64 (11pm) // 56 (5am) // 58 (6am) for my four laps. I was riding a red Specialized S-works cyclocross bike. I picked up some time on the climbs in my 38-30...so I liked the hills, although I did shoulder the bike for one or two But man it got CHOPPY in my morning laps...I'm still feeling it.

This was a lot of firsts for me...first time riding at Albion (except for the pre-ride tuesday), first 24hr race (first race outside a weekly series actually), and my first time riding at night / with lights. All in all, Chico and Sean certainly put together a fun time, and that's certainly what it's all about for me. I have zero complaints and will be back for sure...hopefully a little wiser, faster, and maybe I'll try a few more laps.

Now I have to go and tend to my wounds...I took a stupid spill doing about 35+ km/h on a section of double track. Stupid barcons

Thanks to Chico's crew and a fine bunch of racers!
    Damian

mtbr member
    I loooved this course. This was my 5th 24 hour race experience and it was my favourite course yet. I loved all the climbing on this course. I was on a 5 person (four guys and me) non -competitive team. I did 4 laps. 1st lap 64 min 2nd lap 65 min 3rd lap was horrible, will not disclose time (very disappointing) and 4th 1 hr 10.

I usually enjoy riding at night, however, this was an exception. I started at around 12:30 or so and with my HID light combined with dusty conditions, rain about 20 minutes in (which lasted all of 10 minutes) just enough to soak me but not soak the ground and my Rx glasses fogging up, I could not see a f#@^ing thing on the single track . Had about 4 crashes OTB. To add insult to injury I had to drop my battery off at Nite Rider to recharge for my boyfriend and forgot to bring back up lights to get back to my campsite. It was pitch black (no moon) due to overcast skies. F*#@ing crashed in parking lot by campsite due to pothole

Besides that miserable lap I had a great time. Great course Chico!!!

mtbr member
    I really liked the course, but I did not like the sandy sections. During the day, I set a 58 minute lap, and at night I did an hour 12 lap. With My HID, I couldn't see enough detail in the trail, and I was going through a fast corner on the flats, didn't see a sand pit, and went over the bars around 20km/h. After that, I seriously sprained my shoulder and couldn't get back on the bike.

Overall, the course was very fun, but I'm disappointed that I couldn't get more laps in

LBS Manager
    My race was not as good as Merdoff's. On my first lap I had something wierd happen and almost didn't make it to the finish. I started to get dizzy and couldn't focus about 3/4 of the way through. I knew once I got back I would be fine because we had 2 doctors on our team. when I was laying on the ground back at camp one my team mates young kids was poking me with a stick to see if I was alive because I basicly passed out. On my second lap I started out good and it would have been my only good lap but I had to lead someone out who lost their light (I was glad to do it but it did cost me time). For my 3'rd lap my body basicly told to me Foff and it was the worst lap I have ever done in my life I could barely spin the cranks.

This year I did too many fun rides and not enough hard training rides. Next year will be different. On another note I have never seen dirtier bikes than Mine and Merdoffs I spent hours cleaning them today.

All in all it was a good event and I enjoyed it even if I did suck.

bi-winning

More Photos

Photos courtesy of norm.

2nd rider in the order

scenery

Norm's girls did the kids race

Finally Done

Team Picture
    Last edited by rkj__; 08-21-2006 at 06:37 PM.

bi-winning

A video of the start.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tc374MmKSII"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tc374MmKSII" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed></object>

sock puppet

hey, hey, hey...

Johnny boy,

i only noticed that you mentioned Merdoff's name twice in your post.... what is up with that? why are you cleaning her bike?

the only acceptable answer is that Merdoff is your sister...

now, whats it gonna be boy?

My race was not as good as Merdoff's. On my first lap I had something wierd happen and almost didn't make it to the finish. I started to get dizzy and couldn't focus about 3/4 of the way through. I knew once I got back I would be fine because we had 2 doctors on our team. when I was laying on the ground back at camp one my team mates young kids was poking me with a stick to see if I was alive because I basicly passed out. On my second lap I started out good and it would have been my only good lap but I had to lead someone out who lost their light (I was glad to do it but it did cost me time). For my 3'rd lap my body basicly told to me Foff and it was the worst lap I have ever done in my life I could barely spin the cranks.

This year I did too many fun rides and not enough hard training rides. Next year will be different. On another note I have never seen dirtier bikes than Mine and Merdoffs I spent hours cleaning them today.

All in all it was a good event and I enjoyed it even if I did suck.

Misfit Psycles
    Johnny boy,

i only noticed that you mentioned Merdoff's name twice in your post.... what is up with that? why are you cleaning her bike?

while that is a good question it may be time for a return way back to the beginning:
    Opps, I mean...
    For my 3'rd lap my body basicly told to me Foff and it was the worst lap I have ever done in my life I could barely spin the cranks.
    It was a great 24hr course I'd say...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Misfit Psycles
    sometimes 4th IS enough to get you on stage...how many members of that 'ringer' velo team got to HOLD the mike???? huh how many???
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

sock puppet

OMG... who is mike???????

i should have known... shaved head, chest and legs... and that macho looks...

not that there is anything wrong with that... just not my piece of cake...

sometimes 4th IS enough to get you on stage...how many members of that 'ringer' velo team got to HOLD the mike???? huh how many???

Misfit Psycles
    i should have known... shaved head, chest and legs... and that macho looks...

not that there is anything wrong with that... just not my piece of cake...
    shaved chest??? i took my shirt off and lost a cookie in there today.

hey, doesn't adam look tall?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

LBS Manager
    while that is a good question it may be time for a return way back to the beginning:

Opps, I mean...

It was a great 24hr course I'd say...
    Read the post jackass. I said the course was tame meaning it wasn't very technical and it wasn't. The problems I had at the race were due to physically being worn out by the hills. All of my practice laps were in the low 50's so I was expecting good lap times but something happened on race day. I also said in my post that the course was tame (or not technical) enough that I wished I had a cross bike and I wish I did have one it might have compensated for my lack of energy to be riding an 18 pound bike. Normally I am a really good climber and laugh at hills like those but not this time.

LBS Manager
    Johnny boy,

You have been on this board long enough to know the answer to that question. She thinks she has the best bike bike in the world because she has ridden it for 3 years and not had to fix anything yet. I

sock puppet

yep, yep... indeed...

Read the post jackass. I said the course was tame meaning it wasn't very technical and it wasn't. The problems I had at the race were due to physically being worn out by the hills. All of my practice laps were in the low 50's so I was expecting good lap times but something happened on race day. I also said in my post that the course was tame (or not technical) enough that I wished I had a cross bike and I wish I did have one it might have compensated for my lack of energy to be riding an 18 pound bike. Normally I am a really good climber and laugh at hills like those but not this time.
    he is jackass... no doubt... you clearly told him the course was not techical, but he just wouldnt let it go...

sock puppet

gulp...

You have been on this board long enough to know the answer to that question. She thinks she has the best bike bike in the world because she has ridden it for 3 years and not had to fix anything yet. I
    no, it cant be... she cant be your girlfriend...

i need a scotch now...

oh why, why, why....

PS. by the way, if you are looking for a change, i can let you clean my bike after Summer Solstice 2007...

Misfit Psycles
    jackass? nice, keyboard balls. it appears someone has issues with healthy criticism...self conscious perhaps?

my initial response to you still stands and became evident as the race progressed:
    much of the single track is going to get real sketchy and despite the pre-ride ideal conditions, no rider blahblahblah i have heard, it will take its toll - traffic and abuse WILL lead to washouts, slides, sand and 'lessthanideal' lines IT WILL BE an interesting course. ted and crew, extra advil please.
    bottom line you got owned by a course that you dismissed tame/lame early on. perhaps you dont consider the sand and washouts to make for a technical course, i would say most others did.

so i guess in hind-sight your prelap 'ho-hum-this-is-so-boring' lap times were completely unimportant...afterall its not like the race was last week.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member

My best 24 hr yet...Helmet Cam Video in the works

Well, I had to wait to see the actual results to figure out one of my times. Unfortunately, one we missed a transition after my night lap and subsequently were 2:49 off the podium (Spectrum Imaging Racing, 6-10 Club Company). My laps were 53:20, 55:49 (night), and 55:32 (half and half). I was pleased with the times as I have been more methodical about proper training this year and have improved my times as a result.

Overall, dissappointing to be so close to the podium. However, our team had a great race and we are already looking forward to next season's races...

Peter, one of my team-mates won the draw for that bike, but was back at camp...Too bad for him...

Lastly, I am working on the video from my first lap with the helmet cam on and have some great spill at the gator pit to include. Will have something available close to the end of the week for anyone interested. I will put it in the classifieds again...The flatter lighting was pretty good for filming.

Neil

LBS Manager
    no, it cant be... she cant be your girlfriend...

i need a scotch now...

oh why, why, why....

PS. by the way, if you are looking for a change, i can let you clean my bike after Summer Solstice 2007...
    Soon I will be giving her some basic bike repair lessons so she can do the easy stuff herself and just let me me do the more advanced repairs. As far as your bike goes I thought Elsworths were so fast they didn't get dirty. You just shattered my image of the mighty E

sock puppet

geez...

Soon I will be giving her some basic bike repair lessons so she can do the easy stuff herself and just let me me do the more advanced repairs. As far as your bike goes I thought Elsworths were so fast they didn't get dirty. You just shattered my image of the mighty E
    thanks... if i was blonde with big tits, we know that you'd have been much more cordial with me, eh?

be careful with that misfit character. he is really evil and might even piss in your gatorade when you are looking the other way.

LBS Manager
    jackass? nice, keyboard balls. it appears someone has issues with healthy criticism...self conscious perhaps?

my initial response to you still stands and became evident as the race progressed:

bottom line you got owned by a course that you dismissed tame/lame early on. perhaps you dont consider the sand and washouts to make for a technical course, i would say most others did.

so i guess in hind-sight your prelap 'ho-hum-this-is-so-boring' lap times were completely unimportant...afterall its not like the race was last week.
    Like I said before The course wearing me out had nothing to do with the sandy single tracks or the technicaly dificulty of the course it was purly being worn out by double track climbs (you just don't seem to get it). In fact the lap I had the most problems on was my first before any of the washouts developed. I never said the course was physicaly easy I said it was technicaly non challenging and I like more single track and less double track. It dosn't matter now anyway I still enjoyed the race and will do it again next year just next year I will be training and eating properly right from the start.
    As for having keyboard balls I would have no problem saying anything to some in person that I have said here.

LBS Manager
    [QUOTE=osokolo]thanks... if i was blonde with big tits, we know that you'd have been much more cordial with me, eh?

I perfer brunettes.

Misfit Psycles
    thanks... if i was blonde with big tits, we know that you'd have been much more cordial with me, eh?
    you've done your time as a woman, you cant' become the strongest woman in Somecommiestan USSR without side effects!
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (13.0 KB, 249 views)
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

sock puppet

nogears was a brunette

[QUOTE=Johnny Hair Boy]

I perfer brunettes.
    before he went bald... and he is apparently very submissive, despite his appearance... superlight told me...

i smell some potential emotional developments brewing around here... first you fight, then you make love... oh, my... oh my...

Misfit Psycles
    (you just don't seem to get it). In fact the lap I had the most problems on was my first before any of the washouts developed. I never said the course was physicaly easy I said it was technicaly non challenging and I like more single track and less double track.
    no i dont get it.
    i dont get why people with no concept of what it takes to orchestrate, marshall and what happens to a course with that kind of volume complain.
    before you retort, no, clearly you dont.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

sock puppet

damn..

you've done your time as a woman, you cant' become the strongest woman in Somecommiestan USSR without side effects!
    i thought i burned them all...

okay, so what is wrong with my former girlfriend from poland anyway? she was a sweetheart..

mtbr member
    nogearshere: I was stuck mid 50's...

You were "stuck" on a rigid SS bike my friend. My remark that "You guys are quite amazing" definitely includes you. I know what it takes to ride rigid SS and I have a world of respect for those who do it so damn well.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

sock puppet

are you serious?

nogearshere: I was stuck mid 50's...

You were "stuck" on a rigid SS bike my friend. My remark that "You guys are quite amazing" definitely includes you. I know what it takes to ride rigid SS and I have a world of respect for those who do it so damn well.
    you give nogears a real bike and he'd be doing an hour and change laps...

c'mon, get serious...

sock puppet

if you dont stop

no i dont get it.
    i dont get why people with no concept of what it takes to orchestrate, marshall and what happens to a course with that kind of volume complain.
    before you retort, no, clearly you dont.
    with your spiel, i will call arek and he will kicking your a$$... now say i am sorry and everything will be fine again. maybe you'll get to clean merdoff's bike if you start behaving real good, ok?

mtbr member

Calling Sean Ruppel...Challenge necessary

with your spiel, i will call arek and he will kicking your a$$... now say i am sorry and everything will be fine again. maybe you'll get to clean merdoff's bike if you start behaving real good, ok?
    Okay, let's figure this out...Johnny said he is usually strong on the climbs. We no Peter can climb as he kicked both yours and Arek @sses on the Green Monster Challenge...Perhaps a little post race challenge is necessary. Although, Johnny, I am not sure you ride on Tues nights, do you?

sock puppet

ding, ding, ding....

Okay, let's figure this out...Johnny said he is usually strong on the climbs. We no Peter can climb as he kicked both yours and Arek @sses on the Green Monster Challenge...Perhaps a little post race challenge is necessary. Although, Johnny, I am not sure you ride on Tues nights, do you?
    yes sir. that is the agreed way of settling all differences.

forget fistfights, forget stealing girlfriends, forget pissing in gatorade....

GREEN MOSTER RACE IT IS...

johnny boy, you cant say no now... thats it...

the only question is WHEN!!!!!

enough said.

Misfit Psycles

enough said.
    the difference is, i wanted you to like me okkiepokkie, i was deperate for your approval and admiration.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    osokolo: you give nogears a real bike and he'd be doing an hour and change laps...

My fear is that with a real bike he would kick butt even more. I say keep him on that rigid SS. Better yet, get him off those 29er wheels and make him ride drunk (on second thought, make that very drunk). Maybe then I can keep up with him.

As for the Albion course, I just noticed that a couple of riders did the course in under 44 minutes. WTF are these people made of? Forget the climbs ... how the heck does one ride so fast on single track without smacking themselves into a tree. I guess we are not all created equal after all, huh?
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

sock puppet

you are making me dizzy...

your replies are all over the place and i have to concentrate every time you post something

My fear is that with a real bike he would kick butt even more. I say keep him on that rigid SS. Better yet, get him off those 29er wheels and make him ride drunk (on second thought, make that very drunk). Maybe then I can keep up with him.
    he is always drunk anyway. then he gets more drunk after each lap...

As for the Albion course, I just noticed that a couple of riders did the course in under 44 minutes. WTF are these people made of? Forget the climbs ... how the heck does one ride so fast on single track without smacking themselves into a tree. I guess we are not all created equal after all, huh?
    we call them skinny freaks... they also shave their legs and chest...
    Last edited by osokolo; 08-22-2006 at 09:53 AM.

More than a little slow
    This is what I posted before Summer Solstice
    Climbs are good. All climbs are beautiful and were placed on the earth for the pleasure of mountain bikers. Climbs are what we live for. I want a 24 hour course at Albion that hits every rosy smelling climb in the joint. I want to spend 45 minutes of every lap with my front wheel pointing up to the sky, that's what I want.
    I have been known to change my mind
    Well, I havenít changed my mind, Hot August Nights was a beautiful course even though those climbs killed me. I got slower and slower each time I went out for a lap. And the worst thing about that was that my partner wasnít slowing much at all. Fortunately I did manage to redeem myself slightly on the last lap by ABSOLUTELY DEMOLISHING SPERKY on the climb up to the IMBA singletrack (with just enough left not to let him pass me back).
    I rode behind mtbmeister for a little while too. Ya looked good buddy. I still say that camera must slow you down by two minutes. Iím looking forward to getting one of your dvds
    The idea about having a party campground and a quiet campground is good, although I donít see how it would work Ďcause the best parties are never planned they just happen.
    You want to be careful about that little Brit lady though nogearshere, she used to run a bar up north, and at three thirty Saturday morning there were plenty around who would have joined in any party that she started eh? You guys were loud.
    Right now I kinda wish I had another 24 hour to look forward to instead of having to wait until next year. Ah well, at least we can all just go for a ride eh?
    Cheers Dave

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    So some picture are being posted... I'll do my stuff tonight... We even have a little video:

https://www.clubveloepic.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

Really stressful moments! We had a private massage therapist!

mroe to come!
    Last edited by BigJay; 08-22-2006 at 06:30 PM.

rad to the power of sick

enough said.
    Screw that. I want a fist fight. Ill bring the beer and lawn chairs. a 7.5km/h climb is boring. Start with the GF stealing too. itll make the fist fight all the more interesting.

mtbr member

a proposal

Screw that. I want a fist fight. Start with the GF stealing too. itll make the fist fight all the more interesting.
    Hell make it no holds barred UFC style. As far as the GF stealing it appears from previous threads No gears is more interested in pokin okkie I'd rather be part of the action than on the sidelines. We'll make it a tag team, I know a little ju-jitsuu/wrestling Might be fun to slap a rear naked choke on Osokolo (No Oso that does not mean we would be undressed) and submit him with a choke out. On second thought, bad idea Oso and No gears (wrestling, grappling, sweating...... things might get a little out of hand)
    Last edited by Merdoff; 08-22-2006 at 03:57 PM.

No. Just No.
    On second thought, bad idea Oso and No gears (wrestling, grappling, sweating...... things might get a little out of hand)
    Just get mtbmeister to drop by with his helmet cam, then you can release the footage in theatres under the title "Brokeback Albion". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

mtbr member

Brokeback Albion

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Just get mtbmeister to drop by with his helmet cam, then you can release the footage in theatres under the title "Brokeback Albion".
    An endearing story of 2 young men, 1 a misfit, 1 a foreigner, seeking acceptance from the harsh reality of a society that........

No, I think I'll send my screenplay to Hollywood, this is a story that needs to be told.

rad to the power of sick
    i thought i burned them all...

okay, so what is wrong with my former girlfriend from poland anyway? she was a sweetheart..
    I bet she (he?) cooked a mean goulash.

mtbr member
    An endearing story of 2 young men, 1 a misfit, 1 a foreigner, seeking acceptance from the harsh reality of a society that........

No, I think I'll send my screenplay to Hollywood, this is a story that needs to be told.
    BUWHWHWHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Oh ****, Mere, you slay me.

I wonder when they'll figure out it'll never work out for them? You know, gear and suspension differences. Maybe one day one of them will cave.

Hey, anyone else think they'll be another "Met/married on MTBR" couple?

sock puppet

10-4... not to mention...

I bet she (he?) cooked a mean goulash.
    a sausage with eggs... well, i'll spare you more details...

sock puppet

not bad... not bad at all....

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    BUWHWHWHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Oh ****, Mere, you slay me.

I wonder when they'll figure out it'll never work out for them? You know, gear and suspension differences. Maybe one day one of them will cave.

Hey, anyone else think they'll be another "Met/married on MTBR" couple?
    but HEY, you all need to focus... concentrate... the original keyboard brawl was between hairy boy and nogears... how i ended up in that mix - is unbeknownst to me... my educated guess is that a certain individual of opposite sex wants to see me naked and covered in mud. so if that is the price i have to pay, sure... i will... heck, i will even scratch nogears shaven back... i'll do all this just to get her to join the party - dressed or undressed, at that point it wouldnt matter... now the story takes unexpected turn... so far we had a foreigner on the top of baldy screamer, joined by a female in nurse outfit in the pool of mud and it is hard to distinguish who is slapping who... all of a sudden a jealous hairy character in spandex jumps in - head first... oh my... oh my...

yeah baby, i smell an Oscar candidate here... no doubt...

Misfit Psycles
    but HEY, you all need to focus... concentrate... the original keyboard brawl was between hairy boy and nogears... how i ended up in that mix - is unbeknownst to me...
    sound familiar? somehow i had to drag you up the green monster b/c you ran arek into the bushes at solstice...

the rest of you FOR SHAME, homophobic freaks you lot...grow some correctness of the political kind. whats next you make fun of my pigmy cousin???

no merey, i do not want to pokkie okkie. his personality stinks.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

sock puppet

way to finish the thread boy...

sound familiar? somehow i had to drag you up the green monster b/c you ran arek into the bushes at solstice...

the rest of you FOR SHAME, homophobic freaks you lot...grow some correctness of the political kind. whats next you make fun of my pigmy cousin???

no merey, i do not want to pokkie okkie. his personality stinks.
    i know you are already having wet dreams about the barbecue next tuesday...

Misfit Psycles
    i know you are already having wet dreams about the barbecue next tuesday...
    it was tyme to move on big boy.
    GIDDIE UP
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Members who have read this thread: 0