24 Hours summer Solstice Recap- Mtbr.com
    Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

24 Hours summer Solstice Recap

Ok, so I didn't get much of a chance to wander around and shmooze so I thought I would post here to see how all y'all folks did.

Here's my summary:

Laps started........................................... ......4
    Laps without menanicals...............................1
    Laps completed......................................... ...2
    Hours spent in Orangeville ER........................5
    Broken bones............................................. ..0
    Stitches.......................................... .............8

Report:

Riding 5 man 100-150, We decide we are going to go all out til midnight then decide if we are drinking beer and watching movies or if we are going to continue. I'm riding 3rd and our first 2 guys post respectable times and we are doing alright. I hop on my steed and ride off like a maniac, get to the first hill and crunch crunch the chain goes up over the cassette and wreaks havoc on my spokes! Spend about 5 minutes cursing at my bike while reefing on it like crazy until it finally comes loose. I ride on and clean the rest of the course(which i wasnt overly impressed with) and came in just over an hour.

Wandered around some, noticed that in the flyer from misfit psycles "do a lap on the singlespeed get a free t-shirt" Well i am dutch and a free t-shirt is great so i place it in the back of my mind that if we are outta contention i am going to give this a try.

FAst forward to my second lap. I had not preroad the course so i was hoping to rifle off a blisterer on the sceond lap and i was doing quite nicely, actually feeling the flow and cranking out a nice ride. Then at the 11.5km mark i hear a chunk chunk clink clink crunch <-really bad sound, get off my bike(chain locked up), and assess the situation. Well this aint good, i have sheared my derailler hanger in 1/2 and my rear derailer is in my spokes. So i do what any idiot in this situation would do i attempt to make my bike into a single speed! But first i must apparently donate a pint of blood to the albion hills mosquito society's gala event! Well the single speed didn't last too long and i had to run it out. Tried to shortcut the course, ended up in some trailer park, got there eventually and handed off my timing chip.

With no derailler hangers on hand i set off to find the guy with the singlespeeds! On Site 16 i find Pete from Misfit Psycles, he is more than happy to hook me up with a ride for a lap! He gives me a 19" asks me if 32:16 will be fine, i say sure cuz i don't have a clue. Nice bike might i add, White brothers shock, disc brakes...21pounds with pedals.

Well i relax some and then get ready for the daunting task of my third attempted lap. It was hard and i had to walk 1 hill but i cleaned the course in 1:15 on the single speed.

Lap 4 spells out disaster, take my buddy BK's Epic Comp out for this one. Taking it easy from the start as we are outta contention and i just want to try his bike out, well it didnt go so well. First loop with the bike yellow caution sign on the downhill i don't slow down through "waterbottle alley" and i smoke the 2 trees at the bottom, with the caution sign on them, in a full on lock up. I toss around in pain, praying that nothing is broken for a few minutes. some nice solo rider in a polyester shirt stopped and warned oncoming riders, helped me up and got me set back up on my bike. He also nicely pointed out the Loonie sized hole in my shin! So i rode it out to the transition tent and went to seek medical attention.

Ski patrol bandage me up and advise me to go see the ER in orangeville. I kindly oblidge and hobble off. 5 hours and 8 stitches later i am back, i catch the end of the ceremony and head off home.

The end.

sorry no digital pictures but my gf did take some nice shots.

Thursday i am off to BC to do some road riding for 3 weeks

Later, Trevor

ps Mike (one-speed) you are my hero. what gear were you running?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

re:

Great report - sorry to hear your race lacked the adventure element

I thought this course was the best yet. Ton's of single track - which is what mountain biking is all about. I attempted to solo this race (stress attempted because I ended up sleeping most of the night).

The weather was great (not to hot, not to cold) - I hope it's just as good in August...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My race lasted 30 mins

I raced in the solo catagory. Everything was going great until about 30 mins in I stacked it big time in the new section. Over the bars and into some rocks. Mutilated my shoulder. Walked/rode with one hand to the campsite area. Couldn't move my arm at the shoulder. First aid said I needed X-Rays. Spend 6 hours in the emergency room (over 4 hours waiting to been seen). No broken bones luckily, but severe bruising and swelling (still can barely move it).

At least I felt good for the first 30 mins. Hopefully I'll have better luck in August (and win the bet I have with Nature Boy).

rad to the power of sick
    Sorry to hear the race went so crappy for ya. I must tip my hat for the valiant effort though. I guess the mtb handling skills were still a bit rusty from all the road riding you'd been doing eh.

Have fun in BC!

Aaron
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Misfit Psycles
    damn, stitches? see what gears will do to you?

well i hate to say i told you so but you should have kept the ss for the next lap, hell, i would have even given you another t-shirt...

i managed 5 laps, only 2 at 32:16 the remainder at 32:18...no matter how hard i went that course just wasn't going to let me break one hour, just too many saskatchewan highways between the climbs!
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

yah but....

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    damn, stitches? see what gears will do to you?

well i hate to say i told you so but you should have kept the ss for the next lap, hell, i would have even given you another t-shirt...

i managed 5 laps, only 2 at 32:16 the remainder at 32:18...no matter how hard i went that course just wasn't going to let me break one hour, just too many saskatchewan highways between the climbs!
    i probably would have broken your carbon bar and brake levers. Nice T-shirt though.

mtbr member

Great Weekend

Well that weekend definitely classified as Epic...again.

What a blast and congrats to Chico for another amazing course and another amazing weekend. I was on a five-man team and we finished around 19th or 20th I think out of 59 teams.

I did four laps:
    1:01 (full daylight)
    1:04 (half daylight, half night)
    1:11 (full night)
    1:03 (full daylight).

After pulling the 1:01 on my first lap I desperately wanted to break the hour as well, but because my second lap was run half with the lights on I just couldn't do it. I tried hard on my final lap to do it but I just didn't have the gas left. At any rate, it was an amazing weekend. Sorry to hear about your guys' troubles.

I've made a habit of riding very cautiously in these races. I find it pays off in the end because usually you've got less bumps and bruises along the way...and the bike usually stays relatively together

I'm seriously considering trying a solo 24-hour event next year. I think my strategy though will be to just try doing 3-4 laps Saturday between noon and 9pmish and then sleeping until 5am and going out and trying to do another 3ish laps. Hopefully it's a strategy that will work for me and allow me to finish. I really have no interest in trying to compete - just against myself!

Cheers and congrats to everyone who competed!
    Dan

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by sperky
    I raced in the solo catagory. Everything was going great until about 30 mins in I stacked it big time in the new section. Over the bars and into some rocks. Mutilated my shoulder. Walked/rode with one hand to the campsite area. Couldn't move my arm at the shoulder. First aid said I needed X-Rays. Spend 6 hours in the emergency room (over 4 hours waiting to been seen). No broken bones luckily, but severe bruising and swelling (still can barely move it).

At least I felt good for the first 30 mins. Hopefully I'll have better luck in August (and win the bet I have with Nature Boy).
    Steve,

Damn, that sucks! I'm really sorry to hear about your accident. I was very surprised I didn't see you on the course....now, I know why! Heal-up fast!

Ya, I went down hard around 1am. Guy in front of me slipped-out on those nasty, greasy, wet roots and went down hard. I had no option and went down with him. Took a hard blow to my chest and left knee, but got back-on. I had planned to do another lap and then sleep for a 1-hr, but when I came by the tents, I knew I was done. I hit the sack at 2am, put my ear plugs in and didn't wake-up until 5:30am....I was out for nearly 3.5 hrs! Ooops! At that point, I was well behind Bart and Jay, but there was still 6+ hrs. Time to turn it on! And, out I went!

Lap 14....look down at my clock and it's getting close to 10am. Finally, getting close to the end. I can see the light and it feels great! But, still a lot to go and anything can go wrong.

I'm behind Bart in 6th. He's hurting, but stopped to grab a burrito in the morning at Woo Wu. I passed him right at the burrito stand, but then like the wind, he was gone! He yelled back to me: "Mike, you shoulda grabbed a burrito...I feel like a million bucks!" He flew by me and was out-of-sight. Great, maybe I should have stopped for a burrito...I was hungry and now I was feeling the pit in my stomach even more. But, I didn't want to chance a burrito with my stomach. Also, there was still enough time for that burrito to come back to haunt Bart. So, I was patiently waited. Waiting for the ticking time bomb to explode. But, would it be in time?

Lap 15 and I'm back up with Bart. He still looks strong and we just start to ride-up the long gradual climb near the transition area. I've been walking this hill since the 5th lap. The amount of energy expended to ride the hill is too great and there is minimal time lost walking. Plus, I use the hill to replenish on my gels and Cyto. I clip-out and much to my surprise, so does Bart. Hmmm, didn't quite expect that. I guess he heard me clip-out and figured we'd walk-up together. Not so, I'm going-it alone! I pick-up the walking pace and make it just below the crest and hop-on my bike. I wanted to be the first into the right-hand turn into the singletrack. I got him and never saw him again!

Now, I'm plugging along on my 15th lap. Legs are feeling really tired....how much juice do I have left? Looking down at my clock, it's just after 11am and I'm about 30 minutes from the finish. Damn, 1 more lap! But, I wanted to be in control of this. If I'd have left Bart in front and we both crossed the line together, I'm sure we could have convinced each other enough was enough. But, since I was now in front, I controlled the race. And, I went out again. I found-out after the race that Bart packed-it in after that lap...he was done!

I go through the Start/Finish and head-out for my last, 16th lap! I've waited a long time for this lap and it's finally here. Last time for this climb, last time for that climb. I knocked-off each climb and got more and more rejuvenated with each climb that was finished. I was getting closer!

At this point, I have no idea where I am in the standings. Going without a support crew meant not knowing anyone's positions, etc. I knew Jay (#1) was out front, but how far? At my extended snooze, he had 2 laps on me. Could I catch him? What about Perron, etc? I was completely-out of the loop, which I guess really didn't matter because this was my own race.

Then, as I exit a wicked set of high-speed singletrack near the mid-way point, followed by a dirt road, I see #1. There's Jay! Wow, I've caught him! But, what lap is he on? 16 or 17? He hops off his bike just at the base of the climb, whips his right foot over the saddle and has a stunned, dazed look in his eyes as he looks back to see me right there on his heels. It was great! And, off I went. Dropped the hammer and I was gone!

So, at this point, I figured I had only gotten back 1 of my 2 laps to Jay. Which, to me, was a small accomplishment. I knew I'd blown it at night by sleeping way too long, but I obviously needed it. But, could I make it up?

The remainder of the last lap went as planned....just stayed-out of trouble....hammered when I could....don't do anything stupid, etc.

"1km to go!" Man, I love that sign! Finally, it's all come down to 1km! Out-of-the-saddle, I'm off! Sprint down through the last high speed section, then out of the saddle through that slow, greasy, grassy section right near the end (I hated that section), do those 3 rock steps and dismount. I'm done!

Finally, got across the line....16 laps!

Wow, what a race!

In speaking with my buddy after, he was speaking with Helena (Jay's wife) and she was really concerned about my morning times. I guess she figured Jay had built-up enough of a lead over me at night (he had 2 laps), that he could just coast. No way, bud! With each morning lap, I was taking huge chunks of time out my deficit...apparently, 20+ minutes per lap. Helena knew on the last lap that it was inevitable...that I would take over 4th! And, I did.

The morning was a highlight for me because I knew I had time to make-up and time was quickly running-out. I had only planned to do 3 more laps, but managed to get-in 4 laps. So, that in itself, was a huge accomplishment and allowed me to cinch 4th place....1-up from last year's 5th place.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sperky

Sorry to hear that Sperky, I think I was the rider right behind you when you stacked on the first lap. Weird thing was, you were the only rider I saw actually crash all weekend. Hope you heal up fast.

Jason

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by teebor76xc
    i probably would have broken your carbon bar and brake levers. Nice T-shirt though.
    couldn't be any worse then what the fella did who rode it 'instead' of you - (you know who you are) - he toasted the white bros fork...perm locked now...such is the life of a demo!
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

President, CEO of Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    couldn't be any worse then what the fella did who rode it 'instead' of you - (you know who you are) - he toasted the white bros fork...perm locked now...such is the life of a demo!
    I took the PickUp truck bike for the last lap. I felt a lot more comfortable riding domeone else's bike when that someone told me it was heavy and overbuilt. Are you gonna be able to get the WB fork fixed or what?

ps - the guy I owed a t-shirt to is now in 7th heaven!
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

Misfit Psycles
    everything is fixable...looks like the lockout siezed. probably thanks to a well timed (and placed) fall the sand entered the naughty area. no fault of the rider (really) that bike was out solid all weekend and for the full week prior. she earned a rest.

glad to hear about the T but he didn't really earn it, hope it doesn't burn directly to his flesh. come by again at 24hrs of hot august nights for your OWN T. I will be in/around the vendors area this time, i was too busy at the site.

oh and you could win a complete bike at that race too.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO