2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th - CANCELLED :(

2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th-demo-fest-horiz-logo.jpg

DMBA Demo Festival 2017 - Coming to Ontario this Spring!

The DMBA Demo Festival will take place on Saturday May 6th, 2017. The DMBA Demo Festival is building upon last year’s successful inaugural Spring Demo bike event that attracted over 1000 participants. This year’s event will bring even more excitement to Ontario mountain bikers.

Activities planned for the Festival include:

PANCAKES IN THE FOREST - our long-standing tradition that attracts families for a morning of riding with their children, trying new bikes and eating delicious pancakes in the forest.

FESTIVAL EXHIBITION AREA - manufacturers, distributers and bike shops to showcase products and services in a mountain bike inspired environment

Music by the Red Bull team and event MC

DMBA will also be hosting kids rides

Joyride 150 skills park

Fun audience participation competitions and prize draws throughout the day.

Delicious new lunch options from local businesses: The Copper Branch (vegetarian), Hy- Hope Farms, Meat Merchant and Primal Pizza

"We are excited that Durham Mountain Bike Association in partnership with our sponsors and the community of Uxbridge have joined in launching this event,” says John Fisher, President of DMBA. "More and more Canadians are enjoying the vast network of trails across our Province. We want to shine a spotlight on the trails of Uxbridge and provide a fun event for all mountain bikers to try exciting new products and meet the companies that fuel our passion.

Durham Forest is one Ontario’s premier mountain biking trail systems and offering diverse trail system of over 125km of maintained mountain bike trails for all levels mountain bikers. This trail system includes Durham Forest, Glen Major/Walkers Woods, and the new Dagmar Trail system The DMBA Demo Festival is conveniently located 45 minutes driving east from the GTA also allows for easy access to most of Southern / Central Ontario via Highway 401. Parking will be available for over 500 vehicles less than 100 metres from the venue.

For registration and additional information, visit DMBA Demo Festival | DMBA

ABOUT the DMBA:
    Durham Mountain Biking Association formed in 2005 and is a non-profit association whose mission is to advocate, create, enhance and preserve trail opportunities for mountain bikers in Durham and York Regions. With 800+ members from across the Greater Toronto Area and still growing, we have evolved and expanded our representation of and for the mountain biking community and are now one of Canada’s largest mountain bike clubs.

Registration is required to participate: DMBA members are complimentary, non-members are $10 (under 16 years of age free with paying adult or DMBA Member).

Registration fees include access to all manufacturer demo booths to test premium bikes, entry into amazing prize raffle draws through out the day and eligibility to enter competitions (spaces limited). Participants will be given wrist bands to signify their registration.
    Last edited by osteo; 05-05-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Full disclosure - I am on the Committee that is organizing the Festival, any questions please post and I will reply. I will mention here, this is a revenue neutral event, meaning no one is going home with a pay cheque, lots and lots of volunteer hours.

FAQ's coming soon, but I know I'd be wanting to know who/what will be there.

2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th-demo-fest-poster-final-low-res.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What brands will be there?
    Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, Pivot, Santa Cruz, Norco, Rocky Mountain, Scott, Devinci, KHS, Shimano, Pearl Izumi, Smith Optics, Skratch

What stores will be there?
    Cycle Solutions, Station Ski and Ride, Impala Bicycles, Evolution Cycles, Cycle Life, Boyd Sports, Bicycles Plus, SpokeOmotion, Nexus Coffee, 2nd Wedge Brewery, Ride Guides.

Will there be sales?
    There will be NO sales at the event aside from food. This is a restriction given by the landowners.

What kind of food?
    All the best kinds of course! Pancakes in the morning, BBQ and pizza in the afternoon along with a Vegan Restaurant and Hy-Hope farms and their awesome butter tarts and pastries!

Why do we have to register?
    Registration before the event is not mandatory but it will help us with planning and recording the number of participants as well as will shorten lines once you arrive.

Registration is mandatory to participate in any of the demo's/contests.

Can I just walk around and not test ride anything?
    Absolutely! the forest is open for general use and you are more than welcome to bring friends or family to hang out, but if they want to try a bike they must register, all the manufacturers know this policy.

Why is there is a fee? there was none last year.
    The event last year was created on short notice and there was one sponsor that covered the majority of the fees (permits, insurance, porta-potties, etc...). This year we have been planning for months now and as a committee decided the event should be able to support itself.

What is the Fee?
    For DMBA members they are free. They already pay yearly fees to the Association and as such are permitted access to all the demo bikes/contests due to that membership.

For non-members it is a $10 fee.

Association fees are a minimum $30, at registration (or later in the day) if you feel you want to become a member after paying your $10 you are able to pay the balance, choice is yours no strings attached.

What if I'm a member but my spouse is not and wants to ride?
    Unfortunately they would have to pay the $10.

What if I'm a member and I arrive with 3 buddies and they are not members and want to ride?
    They need to register and pay $10ea.

I want to bring my 3 kids all under the age of 16 do they pay?
    No, kids under 16 are free.

What time?
    Gates open at 10:00a - 4:00p
    Pancakes are served from 10:00-11:30a
    Lunch/meals/BBQ, Pizza... - 12:00-4:00p

Bike Demo's
    There will be at least 200 bikes to test ride! different sizes of course!

Do I need to bring a helmet?
    The landowners stipulate any person on a bike must be wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle otherwise they are deemed trespassing. It is possible some of the manufacturers might have the off helmet kicking around, but I strongly suggest you bring your own helmet.

Flats or clipless pedals?
    If you prefer clipless pedals, bring your pedals and shoes. The manufacturers realize people prefer different styles and often have pedal wrenches handy just in case.

How long can I ride for?
    There will be marked loops, an advanced and intermediate as well as a family/kids loop for the youngsters. The loops will take approx 20min to complete. We ask people to respect that there are other participants waiting to ride and not tour the forest.

Will the forest be closed to other users?
    No, you can expect hikers, dog walkers, and other riders on the forest, please share the trails like you would if you were on a ride any other day.

Where is the parking?
    It will be approx 100m south of the main entrance to the Forest in the Lafarge Parking Lot, a quick 3 min walk, there will be plenty of signs. There is no fee for parking.

What if the weather is bad?
    Start your sunshine dance from now! the event will go on rain or shine!
    Last edited by osteo; 03-27-2017 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added a store

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hopefully everyone has May 6 marked on the calendar for this epic event.

A few pics from last year.

2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th-pancakesbikefest-1-1-16.jpg

There will be pancakes
    2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th-pancakesbikefest-1-1-23.jpg

2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th-pancakesbikefest-1-1-9.jpg

Kids will be having a blast
    2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th-pancakesbikefest-1-1-26.jpg

2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th-pancakesbikefest-1-1-31.jpg

And bike demos, lots of bike demos
    2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th-pancakesbikefest-1-1-12.jpg

2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th-pancakesbikefest-1-1-14.jpg

2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th-pancakesbikefest-1-1-2.jpg

2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th-pancakesbikefest-1-1-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Super excited for this event! Will there be flat pedals on hand to ride with? My brother and I don't have clip in shoes.
    Canadian riders, join MTB Canada and share your photos and stories!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by playr2 View Post
    Super excited for this event! Will there be flat pedals on hand to ride with? My brother and I don't have clip in shoes.
    Yup, the manufacturers will have flats for sure. Remember to bring your helmets!

I'm super stoked as well, hopefully I can get to test ride at least one bike, although I think I may have to experience it through others that day!

I was thinking about it last night... 13 manufacturers, if each brings only 1 model (although numerous sizes) and you rode 1 bike from each, the test loops I created will take approx 25min to do... That is over 5hrs of riding!!!

Fun fun!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That is a lot of riding!

How does it work for the 16 and under kids? Does the adult have to take a bike out for them? My brother is under 16, so will I be able to take two bikes out at the same time so we can ride together?
    Canadian riders, join MTB Canada and share your photos and stories!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by playr2 View Post
    That is a lot of riding!

How does it work for the 16 and under kids? Does the adult have to take a bike out for them? My brother is under 16, so will I be able to take two bikes out at the same time so we can ride together?
    Good questions and I am not exactly sure how the manufacturers will do that. You will likely have to sign a waiver and leave that piece of ID, chances are that will suffice for the 2 bikes at once as they will probably just make note of it.

There are 3 different demo loops, an advanced, intermediate and a kids loop. If your brother has ridden before (can ride) then he may be fine on the intermediate loop. The Kid's loop is pretty basic, but does have singletrack. He could always try the kid's loop first if no experience and then progress on the next demo.

It is a good idea to pre-register as once you arrive that day you will need to go the Registration Tent and get your wrist band and sign a waiver. You cannot test ride anything without the wrist band, from there you are good to go but as mentioned each manufacturer may have their own waiver again.

I know lots of signatures but we tried to get a single waiver but getting lawyers to agree on anything is near impossible.

Hope that helps.
    Dennis

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Are dogs allowed at the event?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by joey24601 View Post
    Are dogs allowed at the event?
    The Forest is open for public use, so unlike some races dogs are permitted... BUT, keep in mind there will be lots of people walking and on bikes, my dog would probably go bonkers, but I know other owners and their dogs are fine with crowds.

I have passed quite a few people over the years that ride with their dogs no problem, but again they may only cross a handful of people during a ride, we should have significantly more than a few people out at a time.

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What's with the registration fee $10?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    What's with the registration fee $10?

DMBA members are free (part of being a member) as are kids under 16. The $10 fee for all others (manufacturers and vendors have their own) is to help offset the cost of the event itself, permits, insurance, porta-potties, etc... We are hoping the event is revenue neutrai and if there does happens to be a profit that money will go back into trail maintenance.

Having not organized anything like this before it is amazing where things add up in cost.

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    The Forest is open for public use, so unlike some races dogs are permitted... BUT, keep in mind there will be lots of people walking and on bikes, my dog would probably go bonkers, but I know other owners and their dogs are fine with crowds.

I have passed quite a few people over the years that ride with their dogs no problem, but again they may only cross a handful of people during a ride, we should have significantly more than a few people out at a time.

D
    Thanks! I was just planning on walking her around the event. I've hurt my back and can't ride so I was planning on bringing her and just hanging out at the main event area walking around. She's insanely lazy and would make a terrible trail dog anyway

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks! I was just planning on walking her around the event. I've hurt my back and can't ride so I was planning on bringing her and just hanging out at the main event area walking around. She's insanely lazy and would make a terrible trail dog anyway
    Sorry to hear of your back
    Bring your puppy by all means!
    I have found most people that ride bikes like dogs, chances are she will be exhausted by the end of the day by people petting her!
    D

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hi! I registered, but didn't get a confirmation e-mail or anything. Is that normal? I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hi! I registered, but didn't get a confirmation e-mail or anything. Is that normal? I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
    Hey Joey,

I know when I registered I also did not get a confirmation but could see my name on the list of who is registered, although I think that list only shows up if you are a DMBA member as that is a separate login. So, are you a DMBA member? If so, there is a link that says "who's registered" or something, you would either be at the top or towards the bottom (I think the bottom) it even gives a date and time stamp.

If not a member then I believe you should at least get your PayPal receipt (if paying).

PM me your name and I can ask the guy that is responsible. I know there is a populated list but I don't have the ability to see it online.

Dennis

9 lives
    ...along with a Vegan Restaurant and Hy-Hope farms

You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention

Looks like a fun fest. And a lot of work went into organizing this event. I'm not sure if Chris and I can attend but we'll certainly keep it on the radar

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks! I am not a member, but I do have my paypal receipt so I will just make sure I keep that e-mail until after the event just in case.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    cyclelicious- apparently the Copper Branch (vegan place) is pretty good!

When I volunteered I figured I'd be moving tables/chairs and setting up pop-up tents, maybe garbage clean-up at the end of the day! Somehow that morphed into being one of the lead organizers and more emails in a day than I can count at times! But it should be an awesome day!!

And I'm excited for the participants, the ability to test ride bikes from all the major manufacturers and some of the boutique ones back to back on the same test loop that is 95% singletrack 30seconds from picking up a bike, if I was in the market I'd be bringing a note book and pencil!

Joey- you should be good, but yup, keep the receipt in your phone just in case.

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ok. I sign up to demo event under DMBA membership on its website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hey sorry I have another question. My back is feeling way better so I may leave the dog at home and try a demo or two. My issue is I'm a total noob and haven't really mountain bikes before. I just bought. My first bike last week. How difficult is the easier demo loop? Would a beginner be able to do it or should I just wait till next year? Thanks for answering all my questions. I'm looking forward to the event!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey sorry I have another question. My back is feeling way better so I may leave the dog at home and try a demo or two. My issue is I'm a total noob and haven't really mountain bikes before. I just bought. My first bike last week. How difficult is the easier demo loop? Would a beginner be able to do it or should I just wait till next year? Thanks for answering all my questions. I'm looking forward to the event!
    Woohoo!! and congrat's on your bike purchase!! exciting times!

The Intermediate loop is not overly difficult, no real climbs and of 4-5km in length I'd say about 1.5km is double track and the first bit of single track is along a fence line meaning not bad at all.

There is an area that you can get any bike you decide to test ride all set up (seat height, etc...) that is not on the trail.

I've also set up what we are calling the Kids Loop - 1.75 long, don't take the name to heart we had to call it something! but it might be a good intro loop to get your feet wet and then progress over to the Intermediate, it is both double and single track and is quite flat with a couple real short (15') sandy spots.

The Advanced Loop for those of us used to Durham Forest starts off going up Burnt Toast (a climb) I'd stay away from it, particularly if you back is recovering. No need to stress it climbing from the get go.

If any more questions keep sending them, I'm happy to answer.

Do you live in the area?

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Awesome thank so much!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Weather forecast indicates rain on Saturday. 😂

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Weather forecast indicates rain on Saturday. 

It just changed... well, it could change again!
    D

it's not going to rain, it's not going to rain, it's not going to rain!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thought I'd give an update as the forecast is still calling for some precipitation, 1-3mm at times. For those of you that ride DF regularly you know that it tends to be a slightly different weather system than south of Hwy 7, but light rain can still be light rain although on most DF trails not too bad.

Either way the show will go on! Venture forth!! Haha!

As for trail preservation (always a concern) the Advanced loop will remain the same as (Burnt Toast... ) as it drains well and is an established trail. The Intermediate loop we are changing as we would have had those riders on the new Missing Link and it is not as well packed, therefore susceptible to damage. The change will be to a more established and better draining trail.

But who knows, maybe Sat will be like today and the weather man (typically wrong) will be wrong again!

D

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Will there be fat bikes to demo there?

So, is it $10 fee if you want to demo bikes and free if you just want to walk around?
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Will there be fat bikes to demo there?

So, is it $10 fee if you want to demo bikes and free if you just want to walk around?
    I'm not sure who will be bringing Fatties (!), I have approx numbers of bikes from each manufacturer but they have not said what models.

If you are not a DMBA member then to demo a bike is $10 (this also enters you in to a bunch of the draws... And a secret prize for our 1000 member sign up!). If you are a DMBA member then everything is included in your membership (free).

If you just want to walk around, touch and feel everything but not ride and are not a member then there is no fee.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    there will be fatty demos at DF. I saw several fatties at last year demo festival.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    damn it. it will rain on weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yup, supposed to be rainy and then cold and possible snow.

As much as 2 days ago and even yesterday we were planning on continuing the event we will re-visit that decision and will make a final call either later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Will update as soon as I know.
    Dennis

X-Ray Guy
    I wanted so badly to go to this event but that weather is a serious cramp in my plans. I will look forward to next year at this point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have to concur with Jawz. the weather looks very bad on Saturday. The ground is already soaked with heavy rain from last night and more heavy rains are expected tomorrow.

I have to pass on this event this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    there will be fatty demos at DF. I saw several fatties at last year demo festival.
    Thanks for the update.

But with this weather I can't see how enjoyable it would be for both vendors and the festival goers. Even though I made time for this weekend, I hope it gets pushed back.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Email from the DMBA:

"We have officially cancelled the DMBA Demo Festival due to the 50mm of rain
    expected. The ground is saturated with water and there is standing water in
    the parking lot.* Under present conditions the trails are vulnerable to
    damage.

The event is unlikely to be rescheduled as the vendors are generally booked
    for the entire summer."

Too bad it's not rescheduled, it was a great event last year.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by campergf23 View Post
    Email from the DMBA:

"We have officially cancelled the DMBA Demo Festival due to the 50mm of rain
    expected. The ground is saturated with water and there is standing water in
    the parking lot.* Under present conditions the trails are vulnerable to
    damage.

The event is unlikely to be rescheduled as the vendors are generally booked
    for the entire summer."

Too bad it's not rescheduled, it was a great event last year.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for pasting the info - I've been swamped (and still at work at my real job) with messages and wanted to take the time to actually compose a message for you guys.

It was a hard decision to make but in other ways not that hard, so many factors to consider. As John said it is unlikely we would be able to get even a majority of manufacturers to make any one specific day work again on such late notice into the season. But... I'm going to see what I can do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Swimming or even flyfishing optional.

2017 DMBA Demo Festival - May 6th-screen-shot-2017-05-05-3.05.45-pm.jpg