2015 Year Review- Mtbr.com
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

2015 Year Review

It is the end of the year and how did we do?

http://forums.mtbr.com/eastern-canad...ts-943661.html

Myself...not so great. Didn't do Almonte and Northumberland as things got in the way.

mtbr member
    I had no goals going into 2015, except perhaps the popular "ride more" that I think all of us had. Even that was met with a shrug.
    But 2015 turned out to be a fantastic and transformative year. I have so much momentum behind me and I'm stoked for 2016! I'll save my keystrokes of explanation for the inevitable "Goals of 2016" thread that's bound to emerge in a few weeks.
    I love riding my bike!

No. Just No.
    My 2015 included several "lots more" items, compared to most years including lots more of;

- mountain biking
    - racing (MTB and CX)
    - singlespeeding (MTB and CX)
    - also added to the "stable", although not in the quantity of lots more.

Good year.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    I basically met my goals for 2015, doing the O-Cups and the 8 Hour Epic races. Due to conflicts I did not manage to do any Substance Projects races.

The 8 hour races went very well for me, with a podium in every race and no crashes. Did them all on my singlespeed.

The O-Cups - not so much success. After the first one (where I miraculously won) I flatted in the second while riding in third place, missed the third one due to a back injury and crashed in the fourth (Nationals) with 700 meters to go - only to lose third spot by 8 seconds. And in the provincials I crashed twice, cracking the helmet and severely tweaking my shoulder. Not proud of that race.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    finish P2A without the involvement of paramedics.
    Goal accomplished!

I think I got carried away with road miles last year, and I need to move a little of that saddle time into the woods.
    Goal status questionable.

More than one day at Blue this year
    Okay so that one was a bit out of reach, but I gotta aim high...
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    I didn't do P2A which was one of my goals. I was recovering from an injury, and did not want to hurt it again and begin all over with the healing. Sucks getting older. Apart from that, the year began with a lot of snow for a long time, so I got to get well acquainted with my fat bike. Did a ton of rides even in the cold of last winter. That was really nice. that got me into decent form for me in the spring. Hooked up with a couple of riders my speed through the summer and we ended up exploring and riding all of Hilton Falls and Agreement Forest which is something I wanted to accomplish. I think I got every official and side trail in there. Got out to more places this summer which was another goal. All in all, got a good mix of mostly trail with some decent road rides, and a lot more rides too. Apart from a couple of small injuries and a twisted ankle that has been nagging me for 6 months, a very good year. Basically have the same planned for next year, with maybe a trip out to Quebec or some further trails that I have never ridden before like Kanata Lakes. I keep saying I'll make it there this year, but never ends up happening.
    Burnt Norton

More than a little slow
    1) a week long bikepacking trip, ending in Ottawa. F
    2) Summer Solstice solo B
    3) Hardcore24. solo B+
    and (the hard one)....
    4) put more time into maintaining my bikes. D

So the report card based on what I thought I wanted to do doesn't look that great, but the year as a whole was really quite good. I got out and rode a fair bit, and not always at the same place. Even the bike maintenance wasn't too bad 'cause I've finished the fall season with four functioning bikes and the fifth (my True North)will go back together as soon as I get my new fork.
    Cheers, Dave

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    1) Plan more adventures and explore new dh and trail. Take more pics!

2) Build and maintain more trail. I participated in 10 full volunteer trail days in 2014 (Don, Sunnyside, Dufferin, Nashville Tract). My goal for 2015 is to participate in one full volunteer day per month.

3) Ride harder and faster; jump higher and land bigger drops. Continue with current training program, and increase lift loads. More strength and stamina for 2015.

4) Mentor new riders. I've learned so much over a short period of time and my goal is to take the opportunity to share the stoke

I love riding bikes
    2015 is not over yet. I am proud that I met each goal and in some cases exceeded. I encountered some surprises which I was able to turn around. I'm ready to set new goals for 2016
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    I didn't set any goals for 2015 but my riding year was great. I did lots of riding with my kids, rode Copeland Forest for the first time, hit up a bunch of out-of-town rides that I have not done since having kids, and rode a ton of miles. Good times.

mtbr member
    goal this year was to stay out of the emergency and was successful. Sept last year it was a crash and a haematoma that required an overnight stint and spring 2013 was serious dehydration after the steaming nostril that took me in early in the morning for a couple of bags of saline. Road MTB in St Marteen though which was cool.

For 2016 I would like to do P2A again and maybe even the Mount Washington race again Mt. Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hillclimb | Mt. Washington Auto Road

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The Durham Mountain Biking Association (DMBA) had an absolutely epic year. Through being a united advocate of responsible users we finally opened up the Dagmar trails which had been closed to biking for 10 years. There was 13 km of new trails built in a massive volunteer effort and with grants from the national trails council we now have some new sweet sustainable trails in great terrain.
    The trail build resulted in increased stature for the club in the community and a club that has a greater awareness of its capabilities as an agent of social change.
    Snow would be awesome for winter riding but the fat bike group is having fun. If you can come out for a ride with the DMBA we would love your company.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    "Same as usual for me.

Ride more.
    I heard about these things called intervals, learn those I guess.
    Podium in expert.....lofty you say? yeah your right, top 6 it is. Make that top 10.
    Get my ass to P2A this year."

I did manage a couple top 10 in master ex, that was about it. Didnt do intervals either (riding trails is as close as I came to that)

I did manage to ride hydro cut (meh) and hilton (felt like riding at home)

Didnt get to P2A.

Same deal for this year I guess. Top 5 is happening though. and the byproduct of that will be riding more....so thats that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pyates View Post
    The Durham Mountain Biking Association (DMBA) had an absolutely epic year. Through being a united advocate of responsible users we finally opened up the Dagmar trails which had been closed to biking for 10 years. There was 13 km of new trails built in a massive volunteer effort and with grants from the national trails council we now have some new sweet sustainable trails in great terrain.
    The trail build resulted in increased stature for the club in the community and a club that has a greater awareness of its capabilities as an agent of social change.
    Snow would be awesome for winter riding but the fat bike group is having fun. If you can come out for a ride with the DMBA we would love your company.
    Really need to make the drive there. Almost went last weekend but plans fell through.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Really need to make the drive there. Almost went last weekend but plans fell through.
    You will have to wait until spring as the trails are closed for the winter. Dagmar Ski Resort has exclusive use of the property for the winter, snow or no snow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good to know. Durham forest is a go still? Doubt I will make it out this year.

mtbr member
    Dagmar Is closed, but I plan on riding durham forest and three rocks this weekend and throghout Christmas break. Hopefully it will still be good. I know there are a few fat bike group rides this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I rode Durham Forest this morning and conditions were excellent. Fat bikes not required.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My goals were as follows:

1. Do something totally stupid yet really fun
    2. No hospital trips
    3. Stay out of jail

#1 was a complete success, the amount of stupid fun stuff I did this year should be illegal. I still have giggle fits when I think of the dumb stuff I did this year.

#2 was a failure, apparently there's a fine line between stupid yet fun and just plain dumb. It seems I didn't get that memo.

#3, so far so good, but there are plans for more stupid fun, and they might not end well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I had no official goals for 2015, but it was a watershed year for me. My wife and I rekindled our interest in the sport, having drifted from it for the past several years. We both bought new (to us) FS bikes, and I have managed to carve out a regular once/week weeknight ride for myself in my schedule. I finally managed to overcome the "creep factor" of solo night rides after a couple earlier failed attempts, and have continued my weekly rides through the dark season. I have found a riding buddy now as well, so the night rides are less lonely, but I find that I'm actually missing the solitude.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
    the "creep factor" of solo night rides
    "Creep factor on solo night rides" is when you're having so much fun that you don't want to go home, and the time keeps creeping later and later.

mtbr member
    I'm with you Circlip. I have grown to love night riding more and more. With the purchase of a fat bike 3 seasons ago, all the weekly rides were night rides through the winter. I was a bit out of sorts at first as there is absolutely no one around in the snow in the forest at night. Then I realized how quiet and beautiful it is with the lights off the snow and ice. Now I am hooked on night riding. Fall night riding rules as the sight lines are so much better. OK, put that on the goals for next year. More Night Rides!
    Burnt Norton

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I was a bit out of sorts at first as there is absolutely no one around in the snow in the forest at night.
    Every once and a while I'll be stopped for a moment, and for no particular reason start wondering "If a mountain biker screams in the forest and there's no one around to hear it, does it really make a sound?". Then I begin pedaling again and the moment passes. The hairs on the back of my neck return to their normal position, and my ride returns to fun mode.

mtbr member
    Whew! It's not just me.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I love it when the coyotes (or coywolf?) start howling when on a night ride. Eerie, but nice to know they are around, too. I prefer that to the dead silence.

The one time I rode over a limb and a branch swung up and hit me on the back of the arm, that was a good incentive for a little session of interval sprints right there. The woodland zombies were out in force after that incident.

It is remarkable how those feelings fade quickly the more you ride at night. If you persevere through the first few rides, it becomes very addictive.

Looking for Adventure
    Goal accomplished!

Goal status questionable.

Okay so that one was a bit out of reach, but I gotta aim high...

Beware of the force wanting you to ride more road! Common habit to fall into, but leads to unhappiness disguised as "masochistic love of riding for the pain and monotony". Or more commonly, because you think it is good for you...
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Lemmy Rules!
    A pretty big year for me. Checked one big race off my bucket list: The Leadville Trail 100. It was the hardest thing I have ever done on a bike. The first half of the year was training for that. Followed Leadville up a few weeks later with Paul's Dirty Enduro 100. I didn't do that well in the race although I did finish but I am proud to say that I was the top individual fundraiser for the event. Early season saw a personal best result at the Paris to Ancaster. I also got to go on a ride with a special little girl for whom I helped fund the purchase of a custom bike.

My cycling club's showcAse road ride, the Tour de Caffeine had its biggest year yet. And I got track certified and rode in a paceline at the Milton Velodrome with Steve Bauer and Curt Hartnett. I also got out and rode almost 9000km this year. Most of it on dirt and with good friends.

Last weekend I did 10 sufferfest videos back to back and became 1 of only 49 Knights of Sufferlandria in Canada. And I'm going riding this afternoon!
    Strava made me do it....