2015 Paul's Enduro Thread- Riding For My Wife- Mtbr.com
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

2015 Paul's Enduro Thread- Riding For My Wife

It's that time....time to ride for mental health. For me that is specifically my wife.

This was written by my wife.....

TeamNFI: 2015 Ride For Mental Health

This is the third year of my campaign to raise awareness and contribute towards breaking the silence and stigmatism of Depression. Depression impacts on not only the individuals who are suffering through it but also their family members. Everyday people lose jobs because their employers don't understand what they are going through or the employee doesn't know how to navigate the symptoms and challenges created by their depression.

The campaign in the lead up to the 2015 Paul's Dirty Enduro I reflect on recent events and how some illnesses can be easily cut away with surgery and a knife while depression can't just be cut away and that little things that we all take for granted can lead to a person going backwards even after feeling better for a long time.

My wife has struggled with the challenges of depression. Even when she is feeling good there is still that moment in her eyes that I worry about. In the last year we have gone through a tremendous amount of stress and while she has shown a brave face to the world I see how and when she is struggling and I see her fighting to hang on to that better place.

After several medical issues my wife made the decision to have major surgery to deal with it. She is currently recovering and like her depression there are good days and bad days for her. But what I've come to truly understand is that in a few short weeks there will only be good days. The medical problems that had her seek out the surgery will no longer exist and will no longer negatively impact her life. It will be all about the amazing change to her life but making this choice.

But her depression can't just be cut out, that anything, any type of stress could send her back to that place where I know she doesn't want to be. Depression will always simmer below the surface for her and while in it's own way it may go into a remission the chances of it coming back are great. Life has a way of creating incredible highs but it also occasionally leads to incredible lows, disappointments and losses.

She and so many others continue to need our support and our love. My goal this year is to raise $1,000 for the battle against mental illness and depression. Please support me as I ride for her and so many others like her.

2015 Ride For Mental Health and My Wife

link to sponsor my ride.

https://onlineregistrations.ca/or/si...95756468514460
    Last edited by Enduramil; 08-07-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Aiming for this to be a hard fast no prisoners 30k.

mtbr member
    With a 90% chance of precipitation for Saturday, any thoughts on how the weather will affect this event? Help the trails or hinder? Does this change your clothing or equipment choices?
    I've not done 60km on a mountain bike before so sharing any tips, thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
    I love riding my bike!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetfilly7 View Post
    With a 90% chance of precipitation for Saturday, any thoughts on how the weather will affect this event? Help the trails or hinder? Does this change your clothing or equipment choices?
    I've not done 60km on a mountain bike before so sharing any tips, thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
    Anything above 30k bring 2 sets of brake pads. When it is wet the soil is like a grinding paste and eats brake pads.

make sure the pads are sintered metal ones. Anything less dies even faster.

More than a little slow
    SF,
    Changes in equipment: Iíll carry a light rain jacket, not necessarily wear it. Iíve got a really light thing that Iíll probably bring but might bring an emergency plastic thing from Canadian Tire instead (camping section stuff). ( It looks like it'll be a fairly warm day.)
    Changes in riding style: Itís got the potential to be more slippery and brake pads do wear out so Iíll be taking a slightly more timid approach to the ride. Easy on the brakes and no throwing the bike into corners.
    Change in attitude: Itís gonna be wet. But the woods in the wet have a feel to them that you donít normally see. Theyíre awesome. Make the effort to appreciate them as youíre riding. Cultivate a positive mood and itíll carry you for miles.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    Cultivate a positive mood and itíll carry you for miles.
    A motto to live by.

Rubber side down, y'all!
    I love riding my bike!