2015 Albion Hills conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2015 Albion Hills conditions

PSssst - ALBIONS OPEN!!
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

rad to the power of sick
    First superfly race today, correct?

mtbr member
    Awesome. wasn't sure what the conditions would be like there. Friday gonna stop in and do a ride.
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    sounds like a good idea
    Team Van Go

the older I get the better I was

mtbr member
    Pretty damn good overall in there. Nice tacky dirt today. Some trees down on Wu Woo but it's taped off and there's a ride around. A few improvements on Sugar Shack in a couple of the perennial mud pits. The ride up from the Chalet lot was a bit mucky.

Rode it all on what is likely the fatty's last ride for a bit. Very pleased with the conditions.

Also - they're planning on a fat bike trail next winter!!!!! Possibly rentals too!!!! Very cool to hear that.

Also also - thank you mod for cutting this into a new thread, makes sense.

mtbr member
    Dead furry animal on Hot August Nights. Be warned, kinda a shock to see. I was not thinking clear at that point otherwise hopefully would have had the wits to move it off the trail.

mtbr member
    Another great day out. I've jioned a team for my first 24hr and rode with a couple of them. This was supposed to be a 'fun' ride but damn I was not expecting that pace.

Question for those who use gps or bike computers - how many km is a full gold arrow (hitting all the singletrack) ride? My gps consistently shows about 19.7 km. A few people have mentioned this sounds low, that it's in the mid 20's. Last year I rode the lap set up for the 24hr and got 14km, which I noticed a few people here got the same thing.

mtbr member
    that's definitely low.
    if you do all the gold back to back you should get somewhere around 27km .
    that includes the connecting double tracks.
    if you throw in the start loop and another small loop I know of near the end which includes the "wall of pain" you can get around 30 km.
    you'll have to join me some time maybe in a couple of weeks.
    not sure my legs are quite ready for the full 30 yet
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Yeah that's a big difference.

My loop doesn't do either the start bypass or the wall of pain (is that aka the green monster?) Just from the chalet all around on the typical gold loop hitting every single track.

Ride? I'm down for it.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer View Post
    First superfly race today, correct?
    correct and it was surprisingly dry, short of a couple of usual wet spots that could not be bypassed. excellent conditions for this time of the year.
    Signature

mtbr member
    the wall of pain is different from the green monster.it's not a marked trail but it is there.
    even without these 2 loops you should have had about 27km.
    i'll PM you after this coming weekend sometime to arrange a ride. At an old guys pace though
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    The rain we got has the trails real nice and tacky.

The foliage is beautiful right now. Everything is just starting to get really green and lush.

Dante
    if you happen to frequent this board it was nice to meet and ride with you this AM.

mtbr member
    Well today was a first - got beaten by a turkey going up the start of High Roller. I know I'm not fast but that was a little humiliating lol.
    Last edited by Greg_o; 05-20-2015 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Kinda glad we got that rain. It was getting bone dry and so sandy in spots.

Had my first night ride there Friday - wow what a blast! Can't believe it took me so long to try that. Some spots were just dead quiet, but near the ponds the frogs were almost deafening. Saw racoons, rabbits and possibly a coyote (large dog shaped animal, light fur - ran through some bushes a lot more stealthy than I'd expect of a coyote).

mtbr member
    Hey Greg_o
    have you found the rest of the trails yet?
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Yeah I've got everything down except the wall of pain - I know the general area it's in but do'nt usually go there. My rides there lately are the main gold arrow loop or my interpretation of what Chicos 24hr loop is going to be (sans the backwards riding on BMBC).

Speaking of which - any other riders looking at the 24hr map? Unique format. I'm a bit confused at how to get from Speed o Rama to Wuu Wo - It's easy to add the second section of Summer Solstice but don't think that's the way since it isn't mentioned..

mtbr member
    when you come off speed o rama ,turn right and follow the double track.
    it will make a left then past a swampy pond then to the right and there you are.
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    correction:
    you have to hook on to the last part of "summer solstice" trail then turn right.
    hopefully you catch this in time.
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    correction:
    you have to hook on to the last part of "summer solstice" trail then turn right.
    hopefully you catch this in time.
    This is exactly the way I've been doing it. Was sceptical because Summer Soltice isn't noted on the map.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_o View Post
    Kinda glad we got that rain. It was getting bone dry and so sandy in spots.

Had my first night ride there Friday - wow what a blast! Can't believe it took me so long to try that. Some spots were just dead quiet, but near the ponds the frogs were almost deafening. Saw racoons, rabbits and possibly a coyote (large dog shaped animal, light fur - ran through some bushes a lot more stealthy than I'd expect of a coyote).
    --

Hi guys, sorry to jump in here but I am in Burlington and would love to try Albion Hills. Kelso and Hilton Falls are my local trails, how does it compare to these, and where exactly are Albion Hills located?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger H View Post
    --

Hi guys, sorry to jump in here but I am in Burlington and would love to try Albion Hills. Kelso and Hilton Falls are my local trails, how does it compare to these, and where exactly are Albion Hills located?
    Hey comparing with your examples, Albion is not at all like Hilton, but similar to some of the smoother trails of Kelso like Lora's Run Wizard's Way etc Think fast and flowing with the odd obstacle. The hills will make you work but they pay off well.

BTW trails had perfect packed dirt today. No mud (k not much) but moist and sticky. Real nice. Little dust. Blah blah Albion is Great!

At 16500 Regional Rd 50, Caledon, ON L7E 3E7

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hey comparing with your examples, Albion is not at all like Hilton, but similar to some of the smoother trails of Kelso like Lora's Run Wizard's Way etc Think fast and flowing with the odd obstacle. The hills will make you work but they pay off well.

BTW trails had perfect packed dirt today. No mud (k not much) but moist and sticky. Real nice. Little dust. Blah blah Albion is Great!

At 16500 Regional Rd 50, Caledon, ON L7E 3E7
    --

Greg - thanks very much! I will give then a try! If you're ever up this way let me know, would be great to meet :-) Best, Henry ps if you have one Hilton Falls is also brilliant for winter fat biking ..

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offer Henry! What are the 'standout' trails in your area?

In regards to HF / Agreement / Mowhawk I'm there a lot in the winter with the fatty. Small world eh?

So Chico has marked the 24 hr course as of yesterday - really looking forward to it drying up out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    [QUOTE=Greg_o;12024280]Thanks for the offer Henry! What are the 'standout' trails in your area?

--

Greg let's hit up them there trails in the winter :-) It sounds like you and I frequent the same system - Mohawk is the Guelph Line entrance. I like taking on all the heavy stuff on my fattie - found myself riding down the top of an old stone wall the other day .. I want to try it all with my new Thunderbolt but I've been laid up for two weeks with a slipped disc..

I like Kelso for the fast stuff but Hilton Falls is my preference as it's more technical. Let me know the next time you come out :-)

mtbr member
    Sounds good Henry will do!

So the Albion 24 hr loop is different than the map posted on Chico. They've added Albion Witch which is cool but makes for an awkward back track to get to Pinecomb Express. Also the routing between High Roller and Hot August Nights was a surprise too. (that's not mountain biking, more like feild biking lol!)

Many riders here doing the 24hr? This is my first race ever, will probably be the slowest on the team but still very much excited for it.

More than a little slow
    Many riders here doing the 24hr? This is my first race ever, will probably be the slowest on the team but still very much excited for it.
    I'll be there. You will see lots of faces that you recognize. A whole whack of the mountain biking community turns out for Solstice.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    hey Greg_o what team are you on and what site #.
    wouldn't mind coming over to say hello.
    I won't be racing as I'm splitting the weekend between cheering friends on here and cheering my son on at the Toronto triathlon.
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Hey trailtrash thanks that was a very kind gesture sorry I'm just seeing this now.

Rode with samedaycrew. Great people, great weekend.

Had problem free rides, met lots of awesome people, got some sun and fed some mosquitos. And a raccoon too apparently.

Sitting here Sunday afternoon my review for the event is - "I'm tired" lol

Great riders (and volunteers!) on the course. Such comradery especially at night.

Nice easy courteous passing. (there's always that one guy, but the fact that everyone else is so cool makes up for them).

Thank you Chico and crew. My first race, won't be the last.

mtbr member
    The weather was the best that I can recall after many years of racing the SS. Perfect and fast trail conditions, too.

The course had more twisty singletrack than prior races, making for generally slower laptimes across the board.

Adam and his crew always put on a phenomenal gig.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    This was my 7th SS and I have to say this was my favourite course so far. I did find that it was more singletrack than usual, especially in the first half and that worked to my advantage. I love to rip it up on the singletrack and often have to recover on the doubletrack. That's where I get passed, on the doubletrack. The singletrack is what drew me into the sport. That sh*t's my jam! Anyone who rode near me would hear my exclamations of "Hot damn, that's some kind of fun!!" I'm not really into racing, I just like the atmosphere and camaderie and spirit at Solstice.
    Cheers to everyone that went, conquered and had fun. And a special tip of the cap to all the solos. Your mental and physical strength is an inspiration to this recreational rider. woohoo!
    I love riding my bike!

mtbr member
    That was my first 24hr. Lot of work, but so fun! (5 man). Solos must be a stronger breed. Lol.
    Feeling better after a 13 hour sleep!

Lemmy Rules!
    There was more elevation on the course this year than previous years. The past couple of years there was around 280m of elevation per lap. According to my Garmin, this year's course had at least 380m per lap. No wonder I'm so tired today!

mtbr member
    It was my first attempt at Solo.
    Course was fantastic, thank goodness the rain never came either.
    Met a lot of great people on the course, body is hating me today though.
    Was a great weekend!
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Congrats Tyler. You're a tough Mofo.

Quote Originally Posted by tyh83 View Post
    It was my first attempt at Solo.
    Course was fantastic, thank goodness the rain never came either.
    Met a lot of great people on the course, body is hating me today though.
    Was a great weekend!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetfilly7 View Post
    This was my 7th SS and I have to say this was my favourite course so far. I did find that it was more singletrack than usual, especially in the first half and that worked to my advantage. I love to rip it up on the singletrack and often have to recover on the doubletrack. That's where I get passed, on the doubletrack. The singletrack is what drew me into the sport. That sh*t's my jam! Anyone who rode near me would hear my exclamations of "Hot damn, that's some kind of fun!!" I'm not really into racing, I just like the atmosphere and camaderie and spirit at Solstice.
    Cheers to everyone that went, conquered and had fun. And a special tip of the cap to all the solos. Your mental and physical strength is an inspiration to this recreational rider. woohoo!
    The thing about the Chico SS is that they develop the course to suit all riders, which is part of the reason it's such a success every year.

The singletrack certainly has a nice flowing vibe to it with all the twisty turns, doesn't it? I love the first section of ST that heads back down to the transition area out of the pines. My least favorite part of the course is the grassy slow climb near the solo pits coming off the 2-way bridge. No matter how fast I'm running a particular lap, I always feel like someone let the air out of my tires when I get to that spot.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Thanks Riot. I feel just like I was there minus the sore back and other spots.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    Love your write ups, great stuff.

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    " I will do it solo again next year. I can do better. "

Mike, you have caught a terrible disease. I am so sorry.

Nice race, buddy!
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Trails are generally prime atm, with a few muddy spots on the double track.

I understand Albion will be used as a parking facility for an equestrian event (s) in Palgrave, but I'm told it will not affect any trail riding with Albion. Their staff are suggesting it will be best to park at the Chalet on their busy parking lot days.

mtbr member
    Some spots are getting pretty dense with foliage eg Gnarly Berms, also watch for a large tree down on Sugar Shack Shuffle along that off camber section near the beginning.