2014/15/16 Winter Projects- Mtbr.com
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

2014/15/16 Winter Projects

It's that time of year again for builds, projects, and such. Post up what your working on.

1. Current project has been 7 years in the making....Dirtbag wheel carrier. Then to figur4e out the bag/case for the frame.

2. Build up a NS Surge frame because I do miss the feel of the broken.. Stylus.

3. Get the Stylus top tube repaired.

4. Daughters bike project

5. Chromag 29er project
    Last edited by Bikin' Bric; 02-18-2016 at 05:16 AM.

humber river advocate
    i spy something green...

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-dsc09553.jpg
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    I plan on replacing the suspension pivot bearings on my Trance, retune and maybe look at the hubs. Will clean up the Glory and retune. I think I've got enough bling on the Boris but who knows, might continue to add to it as well.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

humber river advocate
    i've got my 650b enduro hardtail pseudo fat tire 1x11 project... currently as of today i'm bikeless.... aaarrgggghhh....
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    i spy something green...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09553.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	943660

That bike in the background seems more interesting. Would you kindly post a pic?
    "By Your Command"

humber river advocate
    oh, that old thing... haven't decided what i'm going to do with it. i've always wanted to build an electric vehicle...

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-p4pb8748829.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    That bike in the background seems more interesting. Would you kindly post a pic?
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    oh, that old thing... haven't decided what i'm going to do with it. i've always wanted to build an electric vehicle...

Name:	p4pb8748829.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	943666

Now that's a winter project!

Nice!

Do you ride it often?
    How fast does it go?
    How far on a tank fill?
    "By Your Command"

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Now that's a winter project!

Nice!

Do you ride it often?
    How fast does it go?
    How far on a tank fill?
    the problem is i can't ride it in my area, illegal to do so. if i convert it to electric it becomes legal.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Project 1 was outstanding. Flew to Vancouver and back. Never paid a fee for the bike at all. WINNING.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    This is the starting point of my daughters bike project. Currently down to frame only.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    First steps of getting my daughters next hard tail together. And based on her current height she may be on it this summer.

Thanks to Circlip for the help.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Enduramil, what airline did you fly and how did they count the bags? Second piece, sports equipment, etc...? Intrigued by that method!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor View Post
    Enduramil, what airline did you fly and how did they count the bags? Second piece, sports equipment, etc...? Intrigued by that method!
    Flew Air Crapola. Three of us so one counted as my daughter bag and the only time they asked what was in the round case was flying out of YVR and took the "drum" response at face value. Only time it was noticed that it was a bike was at Pearson when the security X Ray showed it and they don't extort fees which is the airlines counter staff's job.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Cool!

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Flew Air Crapola. Three of us so one counted as my daughter bag and the only time they asked what was in the round case was flying out of YVR and took the "drum" response at face value. Only time it was noticed that it was a bike was at Pearson when the security X Ray showed it and they don't extort fees which is the airlines counter staff's job.
    So long as it's packaged within the standard limitations of dimensions and weight for normal luggage items, they can't charge you extra fees for a bike, so that it doesn't matter if you are truthful with the ticketing agent with respect to the contents. If it is within the dimensions and weight, and isn't hazardous/prohibited goods, they have no grounds to refuse any luggage within their standard allowances and fees regardless. The schedule of extra fees only applies when the goods are packed as oversize and/or overweight.

I have flown with my bikes many times using various methods, from proper bike travel cases, to several instances of disassembling the front and rear triangles (and other bits as needed) of FS bike to fit into pair of standard size suitcases along with the wheels.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    So long as it's packaged within the standard limitations of dimensions and weight for normal luggage items, they can't charge you extra fees for a bike, so that it doesn't matter if you are truthful with the ticketing agent with respect to the contents. If it is within the dimensions and weight, and isn't hazardous/prohibited goods, they have no grounds to refuse any luggage within their standard allowances and fees regardless. The schedule of extra fees only applies when the goods are packed as oversize and/or overweight.

I have flown with my bikes many times using various methods, from proper bike travel cases, to several instances of disassembling the front and rear triangles (and other bits as needed) of FS bike to fit into pair of standard size suitcases along with the wheels.
    Yep.

Interestingly they didn't pay much attention to the size. All they where worried about was weight. Now keep in mind this was done with 26 inch wheels which fit the bass drum which is also called kick drum case. The drum cases won't accept 29er or 27.5 wheels as most of the cases are 22 inch. And that is the size to fit in 26 inch wheels.

No. Just No.
    Interestingly they didn't pay much attention to the size. All they where worried about was weight. Now keep in mind this was done with 26 inch wheels which fit the bass drum which is also called kick drum case. The drum cases won't accept 29er or 27.5 wheels as most of the cases are 22 inch. And that is the size to fit in 26 inch wheels.
    I've never tried to fit 29" wheels into a suitcase with L+H+W =< 62 inches, which is the max allowed before it's classified as oversized. I doubt it can be done with the rubber still mounted, but if the tires are off they might still squeeze in. with my 26er wheels I preferred to leave the tires on since I figured it protected the wheels a bit if the suitcase started to get knocked around by the handlers. For the disassembled FS frame I used a hard shell suitcase, but the wheels were in a soft sided fabric suitcase with lots of clothing and gear packed around them. The soft sided suitcase definitely gave a bit of extra room to "shape" it around the wheels a bit, where the hard suitcase was more restrictive i.e. if something didn't fit and you couldn't disassemble it any further, you'd be SOL.

Now since every bag is charged for anyhow, the difference in total cost for round trip is small enough that I'll probably just use the purpose-built clamshell bike case and save myself some time with breaking the bike down and reassembling on each end.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    I've never tried to fit 29" wheels into a suitcase with L+H+W =< 62 inches, which is the max allowed before it's classified as oversized. I doubt it can be done with the rubber still mounted, but if the tires are off they might still squeeze in. with my 26er wheels I preferred to leave the tires on since I figured it protected the wheels a bit if the suitcase started to get knocked around by the handlers. For the disassembled FS frame I used a hard shell suitcase, but the wheels were in a soft sided fabric suitcase with lots of clothing and gear packed around them. The soft sided suitcase definitely gave a bit of extra room to "shape" it around the wheels a bit, where the hard suitcase was more restrictive i.e. if something didn't fit and you couldn't disassemble it any further, you'd be SOL.

Now since every bag is charged for anyhow, the difference in total cost for round trip is small enough that I'll probably just use the purpose-built clamshell bike case and save myself some time with breaking the bike down and reassembling on each end.
    Downside to duallies is the extra effort to disassemble.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    A wee DIY project... Turn broken trainer into portable bike stand.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    The NS Surge had a 150mm fork installed and took it out for a shake down ride to make sure it was all tight. Not shown the pink Gusset pedals added after.

Now Joely's bike.

And the Mistress V1 returns. Just need a chain guide and a lower rise stem.

No. Just No.
    Just need a... lower rise stem.
    Flip it for negative rise. Might look cosmetically incorrect with negative stem + riser bars, but hey, whatever works right??? Actually, with a 6 degree rise combined with the angle of the steerer it will probably just be about level which might not look too out of place.

Dog Slow
    In the process of rebuilding a 1990 Rockhopper Comp that I rescued from a pile of scrap metal. Components are mostly shot but the frame is in good shape save for the original paint.

Here is where I started:

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-1049741-winter-projects-2015-16-bonus-points-pictures-2016-01-16-11.36.17.jpg

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-1049744-winter-projects-2015-16-bonus-points-pictures-2016-01-19-10.01.39.jpg

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-1049745-winter-projects-2015-16-bonus-points-pictures-2016-01-19-10.01.48.jpg

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-1049746-winter-projects-2015-16-bonus-points-pictures-2016-01-19-10.03.06.jpg

And here is the current state of the frame after a full strip and re-spray:

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-1049761-winter-projects-2015-16-bonus-points-pictures-2016-02-13-09.07.12.jpg

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-1049762-winter-projects-2015-16-bonus-points-pictures-2016-02-13-09.07.32.jpg

Next up, building this up in time for a spring retro ride with Unglued.

mtbr member

24" rebuild for my 8 year old

That Rockhopper looks awesome! Who did the paint work?
    I forgot about this thread form last year.
    I'm rebuilding on 06 or 07 GT Chucker 24 for my son who just turned 8. This thing started out at just over 31 lbs, but decent geometry. Be losing about 9 lbs with new parts. The fork was 3kg with v-brake. Frame is a tank at over 1800g. But it's what we have. Closest new complete bike would be the TrailCraft at $1800 USD.
    Replacing all parts. Got it powdercoated for $50. Wanted it to seem new, and not like just a hand-me-down from his older bro. (Like everything he has. Lol). Building it up with real parts. Shortened some Deore cranks with 104 bcd so we would have some actual gearing options. Building wheels so we can use disc brakes, and an actual cassette. Lots of parts from my parts bin and some very generous donations from some friends. As well as some other new and used purchases.
    Pics in a minute.

mtbr member
    2014/15/16 Winter Projects-image.jpg2014/15/16 Winter Projects-crank1.jpg2014/15/16 Winter Projects-crank2.jpg2014/15/16 Winter Projects-crank3.jpg2014/15/16 Winter Projects-crank4.jpg2014/15/16 Winter Projects-crank-done.jpg2014/15/16 Winter Projects-gt-frame-done.jpg2014/15/16 Winter Projects-rims-fork-done.jpg2014/15/16 Winter Projects-justyn-stripping-his-bike-frame.jpg
    2014/15/16 Winter Projects-stripped-frame-gt.jpg
    Pics uploaded in the wrong order, but you get the idea

Dog Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by stew325 View Post
    That Rockhopper looks awesome! Who did the paint work?
    That would be me, thanks man. The step by step repaint I covered in another thread in the Vintage and Retro-grouch section here.

Moderator Moderator
    Cool projects happening this year. I'm in the midst of rebuilding a Cannondale that needs some TLC for a friend.

Dog Slow
    The Rockhopper is done, at least until I come across a decent more period specific crankset and some skinwall tires.

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-2016-02-28-15.40.29.jpg

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-2016-02-28-15.46.01.jpg

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-2016-02-28-15.45.49.jpg

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-2016-02-28-15.41.05.jpg

Now to rebuild my Manitou 1 for this beast.

mtbr member
    Just picked up my Warranty Rocky Mountain Frame.
    Time to rebuild from the ground up.

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-img_20160228_150407.jpg
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyh83 View Post
    Just picked up my Warranty Rocky Mountain Frame.
    Time to rebuild from the ground up.

Name:	IMG_20160228_150407.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	1053824
    Sweet, Tyler. Did you smash the old one?

Moderator Moderator
    Finished off that C'Dale for my friend. Looking good IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Debated on building a SS for a couple years now, it was between that and a Fat Bike, but as I had my Air 9 RDO frame that seemed not to want to sell figured I may have better luck if I try to sell it as a built bike.. but now that I've ridden it! it ain't going anywhere!!

It is not quite finished, cobbled parts here and but everything is used or gently used. The fork I got from a guy that had 50km on it!! and a smokin' deal at that!

Final weight is pretty close seat and seat post will change as those I took off my Jet 9, picking up a seat today and post hopefully in the next week or so... but that will also be carbon.

That's my own homebrew pulley as well, took my time heating and bending the aluminum, may have to do a touch more I think it is slightly off on the chainline.

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-img_1581-l.jpg

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-img_1582-l.jpg

2014/15/16 Winter Projects-img_1577-l.jpg
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!