2011 Super D Races In Ontario- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2011 Super D Races In Ontario

Does anyone know if there will be a super D race series in 2011 in Ontario this year?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I'm an older guy looking at DH vs Super D. Correct me if I am wrong but the way I understand it is DH is pure DH, ride the lift up, race down. Super D is a cross between DH and XC. No lift to the top, you race an XC type loop, that leads you up and it has enough DH in it they class it Super D instead of XC?

HOW much different would an O CUP DH course be compared to say just riding BM or Horseshoe on a Saturday? Much tougher course?

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNiagara
    I'm an older guy looking at DH vs Super D. Correct me if I am wrong but the way I understand it is DH is pure DH, ride the lift up, race down. Super D is a cross between DH and XC. No lift to the top, you race an XC type loop, that leads you up and it has enough DH in it they class it Super D instead of XC?

HOW much different would an O CUP DH course be compared to say just riding BM or Horseshoe on a Saturday? Much tougher course?
    I can only speak to the Super-Ds. You start at the top and finish at the bottom (and can take the lift up if you want). The difference is the route down. It takes 5-7 minutes, has some ups and the downs are less technical than DH (e.g. there are no jumps).

REALLY fun.

mtbr member
    That does sound fun, racing or just riding.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north
    That does sound fun, racing or just riding.
    It's racing - though you HAVE to do at least one practice run first. Last year, they ran it as a mass Le Mans start (semi-seeded). Mental, but awesome.

mtbr member
    I've done races without racing before
    Do we have many in Ontario?

Evil Jr.
    There should be five of them this year and it was completely mental (in a good way) last year with the mass start. Peter might have different plans this year... looking forward to finding out!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    You mean like a time trial start for the different plans, I think mass start might be fun too.
    Maybe groups of 4 like ski cross.
    This could be a fun sport.

Evil Jr.
    He tried the ITT format two years ago. Maybe more, um, "fair" but certainly not as much fun (or chaos).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    The Super D series kicks off again, this year with 5 big races.

I honestly love this format and almost solely introduced the sport to Ontario so my broken back slackness could race a few times a year.

Its going to continue to be a mass start format, its just so much more fun than ITT, nothing like trying to beat your competitors to the bike (le mans style) and then we usually have a small first climb to sort things out a bit followed by a flatter section to allow people to battle out again, then the gravity comes into play and everything becomes a blur.

Honestly try it, nobody has left a race without a huge smile on their face.
    : : :http://sirbikealotracing.com/ : : : : : : : : :

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What type of bike works best for Ontario Super-D racing? Could you get away with a xc race hardtail or would I be better of building/buying another bike?

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke_Eater112
    What type of bike works best for Ontario Super-D racing? Could you get away with a xc race hardtail or would I be better of building/buying another bike?
    Probably a full-suspension XC bike is best. These races (in my mind) are just for shits'n'giggles. I wouldn't bother buying a whole new bike for it, unless you're looking for the excuse (as Mr. Monster was last year). Lots of people were on hardtails (me included) and it was fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sounds good. Been contemplating picking up a Yeti as-r frame and just swaping parts, so this seems like a good enough excuse!

Slick Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNiagara

Ride O-Chute @ Blue to get a taste of the DH race course. Usually they are beefed up prior to the race, but the difficulty remains constant. The East Coast Open was on the trail Squeaker with a modified finish - really challenging.

The Heights DH course is gnarly, but only run once a year so there isn't much time to learn/master it...

Look for more fun events happening at the Resort side trails this season also.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

Members who have read this thread: 0