2011 Cowbells and Mud- Mtbr.com
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Evil Jr.
    Good read and I think I feel about the same about most of the season. It was a lot of fun but somehow, the year before seemed a little more funerer.

My crystal ball doesn't look so promising for the coming season. With costs going up in Toronto and that whole mess in Ottawa, I think there may be fewer events but then again, maybe turn-out will be that much better...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster

My crystal ball doesn't look so promising for the coming season. With costs going up in Toronto and that whole mess in Ottawa, I think there may be fewer events but then again, maybe turn-out will be that much better...
    Doubt it as well.

Speaking of fun... do we have the date for the Monstercross training event?? It is after all the most important date on the Ontario cycling calender.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Speaking of fun... do we have the date for the Monstercross training event?? It is after all the most important date on the Ontario cycling calender.
    Given that there might be more holes this year in the OCA CX calendar, I think we'll have a few more choices.

That being said, that's in the Fall. For Spring, I'm trying to piece together a Butter Tart Tour (yes, a road ride, probably in the 100-160 km range). The rules would be simple: aside from water, all your feeds must consist of butter tarts you buy along the route. Pecans or walnuts would be optional.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Did someone say road bikes and butter tarts? That is enough to pull me out of lurk mode...please elaborate, Marc.
    Jouko

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko
    Did someone say road bikes and butter tarts? That is enough to pull me out of lurk mode...please elaborate, Marc.
    At a reasonable distance from Monster Mansion, there are no less than four of the best butter tart emporiums in Ontario. Stitching them together into a route that allows timely degustation is the tricky part. Points of interest (ie. butter tarts), in order, would be Carlisle, Moffat, Valens and Flamborough. Picking a suitable date is another tricky matter.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmm... I haven't been on a road bike since 2005. Do you really want a Tri Geek in a peleton?? Isn't that against The Rules??

mtbr member
    As long as you don't pee pee in your bibs like other Triathletes

Do they have lemon tarts?

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Picking a date sooner than later will improve one's chances of participation. This is all based on an assumptive receipt of invitation to any such possible event.

Picking a suitable date is another tricky matter.
    To keep at least partially on topic, the OCA has graciusly granted me my M3 licence for CX (and road) in 2011. I did apply for an M2 but it was declined. Apparently there are forms and committees I can work at/with if I were to feel strongly about deserving to race in such a lofty category. Too much work.

Now all I have to do is survive the XC season in order to have my first go at 'cross.
    Jouko

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    As long as you don't pee pee in your bibs like other Triathletes
    Only during the swim in the wetsuit.

mtbr member
    I didn't enjoy the few races I did this season as much as past seasons (not that I raced that much in the past either). The Durham race was bloody awesome though. I loved the course...something for everyone, and I think the perfect mix of terrain to level the playing field for roadies vs. mtbers.

The fee's were a sore spot for me. Especially if circumstances require day-off. It was just too much for me to make a last minute call. It would be cool if there were more options like for the OCUP's where its a more formalized series where you could pre-purchase an entire series of events or something, for a discounted rate.

I plan to do a little racing this year, but will all be dependent if I get "all raced out" in mtb season. By the time the falls comes around I am usually ready for some feel good type of stuff, like Dundas Monster cross rides and such.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Speaking of road bikes. Anyone have a 1 inch fork laying around?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Cyclocross offering from Shimano.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2011...ross-groupset/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by //www.singletrackworld.com/2011/03/shimanos-new-cx70-cyclocross-groupset
    As for hydraulic STI disc brakes and levers? We’ll have to wait until 2013 for them then… We hope so, anyway. Shimano is saying nothing at all on the matter…
    2013 at the earliest? Weak.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Evil Jr.
    Picking a date sooner than later will improve one's chances of participation. This is all based on an assumptive receipt of invitation to any such possible event.
    I'm looking at weekends in March that aren't the Bike Show because once April rolls around, I'm booked solid until almost Xmas. Suggestions are welcome and the more, the merrier.

PS, the spots are full-service bake shops and while butter tart consumption is STRONGLY encouraged, it's not actually necessary.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Suggestions? The weekend of March 19-20 (either day) looks good.

I'm looking at weekends in March that aren't the Bike Show because once April rolls around, I'm booked solid until almost Xmas. Suggestions are welcome and the more, the merrier.

PS, the spots are full-service bake shops and while butter tart consumption is STRONGLY encouraged, it's not actually necessary.
    Jouko

Evil Jr.
    I can work with that. Tom?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmmm.... looks awfully like what MEC lists as a cross frame.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...oductId=173397

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Did we lose young Tom? Looking at my road bike...

I can work with that. Tom?
    Jouko

Evil Jr.
    Did we lose young Tom? Looking at my road bike...
    MIght need its own thread anyway. A lot of people see Cowbells in the title and just look the other way...

mtbr member
    Oh hey!

That weekend should work for me. There is the potential for a couple things that could pop , so plan for what works for you guys and I will keep you posted. A nice long ride will be good before April.

And..with any luck we will get rain and temperatures hovering around 0. All I ask is that the route pass by some facilities that have hand dryers.

Evil Jr.
    And..with any luck we will get rain and temperatures hovering around 0. All I ask is that the route pass by some facilities that have hand dryers.
    I like your optimism!

I'll keep you up to date but I'm thinking I like Sunday better than Saturday (highly forecast dependent). Feel free to add any friendly neighbourhood Lapdogs or Facebook friends or whatever it is you kids do these days.

mtbr member
    Sounds good.

Also, I forgot to add strong headwinds to my list.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

That weekend should work for me. There is the potential for a couple things that could pop , so plan for what works for you guys and I will keep you posted. A nice long ride will be good before April.
    Same here. The theory looks good.......

Fat and meat loading for the next 2 weeks is acceptable.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Don't mock the facebooks. It entertains and amuses during periods of attendance at the office!

Feel free to add any friendly neighbourhood Lapdogs or Facebook friends or whatever it is you kids do these days.
    Jouko

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    MIght need its own thread anyway. A lot of people see Cowbells in the title and just look the other way...
    So, is this the motion you are putting forth to the committee? That there is a requirement for a 2011 Club Fat Ass style free "training" event thread?

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    So, is this the motion you are putting forth to the committee? That there is a requirement for a 2011 Club Fat Ass style free "training" event thread?
    Nah, too late.

Besides, I refuse to be part of anything called "Club Fat Ass".

Evil Jr.
    Mrs. Monster tells me the Facebook boat has been launched. I'd go check but computers make me all squirmy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl
    Nah, too late.

Besides, I refuse to be part of anything called "Club Fat Ass".

Actually Club Fat Ass is reference to this,

https://www.clubfatass.com/background

Something I thought for all the whining about race costs you would see more doing.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Hmm....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...03#post7818203

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmm.. it appears Doritos is offering a Plan A and Plan B for carbo loading.

Evil Jr.
    Hmm.. it appears Doritos is offering a Plan A and Plan B for carbo loading.
    Had a bag of B last week and broke open a bag of A last night (watching Fubar II). I think I like A better but more thorough testing may be required.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Had a bag of B last week and broke open a bag of A last night (watching Fubar II). I think I like A better but more thorough testing may be required.
    Fubar II: one of my favourite movies of 2011. Best first 5 minutes of a movie ever!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond
    Fubar II: one of my favourite movies of 2011. Best first 5 minutes of a movie ever!
    Exit Through The Gift Shop is awesome too and very similar in a lot of ways.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Okay, I saw a guy's IF cross bike today. Screw it.. time to get a frame this year.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Members who have read this thread: 0