2011 Coulson Hill Race Series- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

2011 Coulson Hill Race Series

Hi All,

I think this is my first post, but have been a "lurker" for a while (sounds so sinister).

Anyways, I thought I would mention the weekly race series run by Spoke O' Motion started last evening at Coulson Hill in Bradford. Myles and a small group of volunteers do a great job of maintaining the trails and the race series is also well run. There was a good turn out of riders last evening, but there could always be more to keep the classes full and competitive. I would encourage anyone that is interested to come and join the fun

mtbr member

FeelIng Cranky!
    It was great even if it was very muddy! Hopefully it will be drier next week.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck50
    It was great even if it was very muddy! Hopefully it will be drier next week.
    How did the new bike work out? Is it any good at racing?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    How did the new bike work out? Is it any good at racing?
    It was GREAT! My tires packed up and there was a bit of slippage, but that should be fixed now as I put a new Continental on the rear last night (LBS only had one, I'll get another later) I'm pleased with my performance for my first race of the year. That doesn't say much as there aren't many women who go out for it, but I figure if I do get better I'll just chase after the men!! LOL! Prolly a long way away from that! BUT it was alot of fun, I like the more technical twisty stuff anyway. Thanks for Asking!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trekbikes
    Hi All,

I think this is my first post, but have been a "lurker" for a while (sounds so sinister).

Anyways, I thought I would mention the weekly race series run by Spoke O' Motion started last evening at Coulson Hill in Bradford. Myles and a small group of volunteers do a great job of maintaining the trails and the race series is also well run. There was a good turn out of riders last evening, but there could always be more to keep the classes full and competitive. I would encourage anyone that is interested to come and join the fun
    Hi there,

I was at Coulson a couple of Saturday's ago and i'm pretty interested in joining the series. So, i suppose you've answered my question about it's rideablility...when i was there, there were still some spots with snow & ice (deeper in the woods) and a couple of logs (which i don't mind but it's hard to bunnyhop them when there's ice on the landing).
    I take it the trails are good to go? I'll be there tomorrow morning too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Good to see the Coulson weekly series still going. It's been going on and off since 92 or 93.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    2_WD

The race course did not go all the way down near the back of the forest, so I am not really sure what the condition of those trails are. However, Myles had a good course set up which was a bit muddy, mainly from the rain that afternoon but overall was in great shape (no snow to be seen). So, the conditions should be excellent for you tomorrow. Also the race course stay's set up (arrows demarcating direction), so you can follow that easily enough as well.

Shirk, yes the series is still going strong. In fact, Myles purchased digital timing at the beginning of last year, so there is more accurate lap times, which is a nice feature to have and the stat's are posted on the Spoke O' Motion website along with photo's of each race as well.

Starbuck50, you are right the series does need more women!

FeelIng Cranky!
    I was down the back by the brook last week and it was alright, it messy in the places it's always messy, but the center is in good shape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'll be joining! Possibly next Wed. I can't commit to all the races but definitely want to get out as much as I can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trekbikes
    2_WD

The race course did not go all the way down near the back of the forest, so I am not really sure what the condition of those trails are. However, Myles had a good course set up which was a bit muddy, mainly from the rain that afternoon but overall was in great shape (no snow to be seen). So, the conditions should be excellent for you tomorrow. Also the race course stay's set up (arrows demarcating direction), so you can follow that easily enough as well.

Shirk, yes the series is still going strong. In fact, Myles purchased digital timing at the beginning of last year, so there is more accurate lap times, which is a nice feature to have and the stat's are posted on the Spoke O' Motion website along with photo's of each race as well.

Starbuck50, you are right the series does need more women!
    Awesome, what time does racing start at?

Thanks Trekbikes, Myles, SpokeOMotion and all for orgainzing and maintaining the trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

... and if we just ...

The races start at 7pm, but you should try and get there early so you can pre-ride the course. Spread the word as the more the merrier!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I nearly forgot, this Wednesday is the Norco demo night where you can ride the latest bikes from Norco in the race as well. Rocky Mountain also has a demo night but they don't bring half the amount of bikes that Norco does. They sometimes also bring a couple of the factory riders to ride in the race as well.

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    Augh. Why is the King Series on the same day of the week as this? I understand this race series came first, and I'm not blaming the Coulson Hill organizers at all. I just don't understand why, with three race series within 30 minutes of one-another, they can't be on three different nights.

FeelIng Cranky!
    Should be a fun one tonight! Drier than last week at any rate!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I figured I should post a retraction on my previous comment about Rocky Mountain. Last evening was the Rocky Mountain demo night and they brought more bikes and had a better setup than I have ever seen them bring before. Lots of people had the opportunity to try out the newest Rockies and race with them as well. They also provided all of the swag that Myles hands out after every race last evening. Thanks Rocky Mountain!

Myles had another great course last night, with a lot more climbing than the previous courses! Coulson Hill is in fantastic shape and Myles has been putting in some serious trail work between raking and cutting back the weeds with a weed wacker as they seem to be growing at an unbelievable rate with the weather we have been having. Another job well done Myles!

If you have not been to Coulson yet this year, I would encourage you to check it out. The race course stays posted from week to week, so you can check out the cool track Myles had us on last night.

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by trekbikes View Post
    I figured I should post a retraction on my previous comment about Rocky Mountain. Last evening was the Rocky Mountain demo night and they brought more bikes and had a better setup than I have ever seen them bring before. Lots of people had the opportunity to try out the newest Rockies and race with them as well. They also provided all of the swag that Myles hands out after every race last evening. Thanks Rocky Mountain!

Myles had another great course last night, with a lot more climbing than the previous courses! Coulson Hill is in fantastic shape and Myles has been putting in some serious trail work between raking and cutting back the weeds with a weed wacker as they seem to be growing at an unbelievable rate with the weather we have been having. Another job well done Myles!

If you have not been to Coulson yet this year, I would encourage you to check it out. The race course stays posted from week to week, so you can check out the cool track Myles had us on last night.
    Drat! I had to miss last night for a much more important Spring Concert for my 5 year old. But I was there yesterday and it was in great shape! Saw a couple of deer (Bliss!) I so love the forest! I'll have to check out the course this weekend so I'm prepared next wed!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Have they added any new trails at Coulson? I used to ride there at least weekly in the past. I have not been there all that much since they were logging in there a few years back, and I moved to Barrie. Now it's much closer to go to Hardwood or behind the County School Board building on highway 26 to ride.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

... and if we just ...

Steve,

There are not any new trails that I am aware of but more reclaiming old trails that have not been used for some time and were over grown and not passable. The course this week and the previous week has used trails that were all but forgotten. They were epic! I highly recommend you come out to the Wed. night race series. It is a ton of fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0