2011 CDMBR ~ Canal Days Mountain Bike Race- Mtbr.com
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*

2011 CDMBR ~ Canal Days Mountain Bike Race

RACE REGISTRATION OPENS MAY 1st!

REGISTRATION DETAILS
    Adult MTB Race - Expert Class (two laps) and Sport Class (one lap)
    $35.00 early registration discount for entries submitted before June 1st*
    $45.00 after June 1st*
    $45.00 after July 1st RACE TEE SHIRTCUT OFF DATE no tee shirt with entry after July 1st.
    *race entry includes official race tee shirt, post race meal & souvenir race number plate
    REGISTRATION FOR ADULT MTB RACE AVAILABLE ONLINE ONLY

Youth MTB Race - for youth 14 years of age and under only
    FREE... yes free!
    REGISTRATION FOR YOUTH RACE WILL OPEN ON RACE DAY ONLY

All payments are non-refundable and there will be no refunds. This is an all weather race and it will take place rain or shine.
    A maximum of 300 racer entries will be accepted for this year's event. You must sign a waiver and wear an approved helmet during race.

RACE START TIMES
    5km Youth MTB Race - July 31 at 10:00am
    Adult MTB Race - July 31 at 11:00am

RACE COURSE DETAILS
    Adult MTB Race - Expert Class (two laps) and Sport Class (one lap):
    A challenging course of mostly single track with a variety of different terrain from rocky areas to rock gardens, roots, logs, bridge crossings and tight twisty trail sections to make a challenge for even the toughest Expert level rider. Course lap length will be approximately 15 km per lap with expected finish times of 1-1/2 hrs to 2 hrs in duration for the Expert race. Riders will be placed in starting waves based on rider skill level selected during registration.

Youth MTB Race:
    For those 14 yrs of age and under that want to feel the excitement of racing. Just for the younger riders, a great fun approximately 5 km beginners specific course to make your first race experience a great one.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    NEW for this year, RFID Chip Timing courtesy of the City of Port Colborne and the Canal Days Marine Heritage Festival.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Evil Jr.
    Oh no! That's the same weekend we're in Europe!

Oh well, that just means there's a spot open for somebody that hasn't done it before. Don't wait, enter early - this is a super-fun event, especially great for those new to racing!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    I'll be there for sure.

Last years race was fun and challenging at the same time.

Course will be the same?

Hopefully I'll have the chance to pre ride the course this year...

Can't wait!!!

mtbr member
    The course will be very similar, we hope to have a few new surprises ready for the race.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by want to ride
    Course will be the same?
    Most likely, but there might be a few additions and maybe some new trail added as well.
    Not sure what direction it will go in yet... course planning is in the works.

We had a few participants comment on the difficulty of the course (hey thought it was too hard) and asked for a one lap option so we've added that to this years race for those only wanting to do 1/2 a race.

Hunter S. Thompson

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

EARLY BIRD Discounted Registration

EARLY BIRD Discounted Registration ends June 1st.
    Save some money and register now!

An Open Single Speed category has also been added to the registration options.

Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL View Post
    EARLY BIRD Discounted Registration ends June 1st.
    Save some money and register now!

An Open Single Speed category has also been added to the registration options.
    $35, great deal. I'm in.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Where is the actual course?

short hills?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by moronm View Post

short hills?
    Robin Hood trails in Port Colborne. It's excellent fun!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Robin Hood trails in Port Colborne. It's excellent fun!
    In-laws live in Welland....may have to give this a shot, would be my first race, but looks like there are lots of different categories

All my faucets is Moen.
    Yes, Robin Hood Trails in Port Colborne. Sort of an eclectic industrial feel with some fast flowing trails, challenging rocky bits, good techy bits with roots, logs, boulders and what ever else is laying around.

Plus cool t-shirt, BBQ, after party with beer available and some awesome prizes for $35 I think we offer great value.

Here's the feedback from last years event. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=CDMBR

All my faucets is Moen.
    Forgot to mention free kids race for those 14 or under.

Also its a part of the City's marine heritage festival called, yes you guess it, Canal Days. So there is plenty to do pre and post race or for your family if they're sick of siting around race venues while you go have all the fun.

Small shops down town, local food and wine, boat rides, carnival set up, concerts and some fireworks the night of the race. A great family event for the long weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Yes, Robin Hood Trails in Port Colborne. Sort of an eclectic industrial feel with some fast flowing trails, challenging rocky bits, good techy bits with roots, logs, boulders and what ever else is laying around.
    Is this place open normally for riding? fee?

I will be in Welland this weekend and I think i might swing by

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Is this place open normally for riding? fee?

I will be in Welland this weekend and I think i might swing by

The trails are officially... unofficial.
    The ShortHills Cycling Club along with the City of Port Colborne has been struggling for 5 years now to make them offical trails, its still tied up with the Land Manager. The trails are sort of marked out with green plastic arrows but it might be difficult for those new to the area to find all of them. The Land Manager allows us to hold our races but sort of stops there...

I would try parking HERE to start.

Many of us will be at Mansfield this weekend for the 8hr race but if you are coming to the area give a post on the SHCC Forum and maybe someone might be able to show you around the trails.

We had a group of about 30 riders out on the trails last night shooting footage for the TV commerical they are putting together for the Canal Days Festival.

Hunter S. Thompson

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Just signed up to beat the going up in price date! Looking forward to the CDMBR as per usual! And looking forward to seeing the pizza tree as well!!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I'd be really disappointed to miss this, if
    1) being pregnant wasn't a great reason AND
    2) touring Europe wasn't ANOTHER great reason.
    This was one of my favourite races of last year, and given how much racing I did, that's saying something! I'll be chasing you in spirit, 2WD!

mtbr member
    I registered but then found out I had to work that weekend .
    Anyone want to take a early registration entry off my hands ?

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I'd be really disappointed to miss this, if
    1) being pregnant wasn't a great reason AND
    2) touring Europe wasn't ANOTHER great reason.
    This was one of my favourite races of last year, and given how much racing I did, that's saying something! I'll be chasing you in spirit, 2WD!
    I'll be chasing you too Nerdgirl!!! Will miss you

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    From the looks of things this will be the last Mountain Bike Race left in Niagara... at least for a while.
    So please take part and support this event.
    The money generated from this race goes directly back into making our local trails better for all.

Registration is still open and we have extended the tee shirt cut off date.

Just in case you were wondering what that event shirt will look like.
    As is our tradition to spoof other classic designs here is the 2011 CDMBR Event tee shirt.

Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    That's a really classy shirt. Well done.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    That's a really classy shirt. Well done.
    Classy in a trailer park sort of way... in other words: perfect!

bi-winning
    Classy in a trailer park sort of way... in other words: perfect!
    Yeah!

mtb wipeout king
    how long is the tshirt cut off, i was nursing a knee injury from the L2L and wanted to make sure it was okay, i get paid tommorrow so i will be signing up this weekend. Also anyway to preride the course to see if what class i am going to register with.

All my faucets is Moen.
    There will be a preride, but not until closer to the event.

The sport category is one lap (~13km) and the expert is two laps. If you raced the Lake to Lake I see no reason you couldn't finish this.

mtb wipeout king
    wasn't the distance i was worried about, was how well my knee could handle the terain. took 2 weeks off of trail riding to let it heal, Steep hills and rock gardens seem to stress it the most. Getting older sucks lol.

Evil Jr.
    There are some relatively rocky bits in the course but it's generally flat with short punchy sections and tight technical challenges. I think you'll be just fine!

SHCC, is Mud Lake in the course again this year?

All my faucets is Moen.
    SHCC, is Mud Lake in the course again this year?
    Yes, Mud Lake will be in the race this year.

We are working on pre-ride dates. I believe the dates will be July 20, 14 and 27 But I'll post up here and confirm as we get closer.

I thought life got better as you get older?

mtb wipeout king
    somewhat it does lol, just wish i could recover like i used to when i was in my 20's lol

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

CDMBR Registration Discount @ L!B 12 Mile Race this Wednesday

CDMBR Registration Discount @ L!B 12 Mile Race this Wednesday!

If you are coming to Wednesday's L!B 12 Mile Series race, bring $40.00.

Why?

The SHCC will be on-site before the start to take registrations for the Canal Days Mountain Bike Race coming up on Sunday July 31st.
    Sign-up on Wednesday and receive a $5.00 discount on the normal registration price and also get the event T-shirt.

Don't forget to tell your friends.

Hunter S. Thompson

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    We are working on pre-ride dates. I believe the dates will be July 20, 14 and 27 But I'll post up here and confirm as we get closer.
    So a little birdie told me there might be a pre-ride tomorrow night. If so, what are the start time and location? (There's an extremely outside chance I might make it.)

All my faucets is Moen.
    So a little birdie told me there might be a pre-ride tomorrow night. If so, what are the start time and location? (There's an extremely outside chance I might make it.)
    Yes, Wednesday, 6:30pm AITS
    Meet at the Smokin' Buddha Restaurant and join us for refreshments on the patio afterward.
    MAP

Evil Jr.
    Thanks SHCC for hosting a great (and well-attended) pre-ride night! I had a really fun ride and with the breeze, I barely noticed the heat. Beer and Buddha Food(TM) on the patio afterward was the icing on the cake!

PS. To prospective racers, the course is in great shape. The SHCC has put quite a bit of working into improving the already excellent Hood trails. It rides better than ever!

I Strava Hamburgers
    Since I can't pre ride this...

Can someone give me a general scale as compared to say the Epic 8 course this weekend? Harder? Easier then the Epic 8 course? Same amount of stone gardens, more less?

Info would be great

Thanks,

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post

Can someone give me a general scale as compared to say the Epic 8 course this weekend? Harder? Easier then the Epic 8 course? Same amount of stone gardens, more less?

Info would be great

Thanks,
    Hmm. Can't personally compare, since I didn't ride the 8 hour course, though I heard many ride reports.

The climbs are short and steep - definite power climbs. When I managed to anticipate, the large majority were doable on my SS. There are some bridges, lots of rocks. Enough to keep you on your toes and interested in the course, but not crazy-technical, just fun. Lots of singletrack.

The Shorthills crew does such a fantastic job organising this that I had fun both on and off the course. I'm sad we're missing this one.

Will you have a new bottom bracket in time for this? Hope the bike's OK.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Bike's good. The BB was just part of the problem, it ended up damaging my cranks as well. No frame damage though.

Evo guys were quick to help me get back on the bike and I should hopefully have myself geared up for the Canal Races. I can't miss this one as its pretty much in my childhood back yard, and my entire family is coming out to watch.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I can't miss this one as its pretty much in my childhood back yard, and my entire family is coming out to watch.
    Sweet! We need (a lot) more SS'ers.

bi-winning

Info would be great

Thanks,
    I pre-rode the CDMBR course the day after the 8 hour.

To me, the CDMBR course is easier, just because there are no significant elevation changes. There are definitely more rocks, and some sections of singletrack will slow your speeds down, due to the technical difficulty - twisty and rocky / rooty. There are some tallish log piles, short / steep inclines, tight turns, and some narrow bridges that may intimidate a less experienced rider, but entertain a more experienced rider.

X-Ray Guy
    nevermind

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    5 more sleeps!

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Online Race Registration will closed on Friday at 9:00pm.

Last minute Race Registration will be available on Friday afternoon at Pedal Bicycle Shop in Port Colborne. http://www.pedalbicycleshop.com
    CASH ONLY from 12 Noon until 7:00pm.

Don't miss out, the race course and weather are going to be perfect this weekend.

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks to Andrew Decal's parents, I will be able to participate in my first CDMBR. They will be keeping an eye (or both) on my kids while I race. They have graciously accepted to help me out so I now have more pressure to do good so I don't waste good help.

Really looking forward to a great day, fun course and good bunch of people

mtb wipeout king
    Fun day, thank you SHCC. , and nice meeting you 14stone now there is a face to the posts

mtbr member
    Yup, what a great day. Best, most funnest race I've done all year.

JCR will be on here soon enough to tell his story. We've all heard it a few times, but what's once more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Started front row on 1st wage, came in top 5 entering single track. Pedal hit rock shortly after, bent spindle & that was it for me then & there probably less than 2 min. In the race. Saw lots of dnf, mostly flat tires it appeared. Race was well organized from what little I saw.

mtbr member
    Here's my race report.

I knew the start was going to be key. After the first paved section, it's tough to pass much. Of course, that didn't stop me from having a crappy start. I was 2nd/3rd row, and myself, nor the people in front of me got off the line well. I looked up to see myself bringing up the back of wave 1 in the first 25 m. Hit the gas and moved my way up a little, but once the gravel hit it was congo line for a while. Throughout the first 3/4 of lap 1, I slowly worked my way through 6-7 people. Then I fell off a bridge and watched those 6-7 people all pass me again. I spent the next 1/2 lap passing those people again, then spent the last 3/4 of lap 2 lap riding alone, having a lot of fun. One of the few races where I felt like I left a lot in the gas tank (though my legs would tell you different right now)

Course was great. Lots of singletrack, which was lots of fun.

Post ride meal was fabu, as was the company enjoying a beer on the patio.

Thanks to the SHCC, great show was put on.

bi-winning
    Loved it.

I had been looking forward to this race for a long time, and it did not disappoint.

Game plan was to give'r full throttle at the start, to avoid getting slowed up by anyone else in the first singletrack, which comes up really fast in this race. Took the first left right up near the front. Too far in front actually. There is no point in being in front of riders faster than you. That quickly sorted itself out though, when I had a massive pedal strike on a rock which practically stopped me in my tracks. Once I got moving again, I was right where I felt I belonged. I grabbed onto a team mate's wheel (K. Fleury) and he guided me through most of the first lap. I knew he was going at a pace I could not hold, but I was hoping he would settle down. Apparently he did, but after he popped me. I blew up, botched a gear change on a hill, later hit a tree, and had to settle down. I got caught from behind by a rider in black and white. That finished up the first lap.

I felt like I had nothing left for lap two. Uh oh. To my surprise though, riding at a slightly slower pace worked really well, and allowed me to start riding a little smoother again. Another SHCC rider caught us, (B. Anderson) and I found that pretty motivating. So, we were riding in a group of three, which was a huge motivator, going into the Mud Lake section. Bumpy, straight, and flat would have destroyed my morale and speed had I been solo.

Later on in the singletrack, Mr. Anderson and I got by the third rider when he crashed. After that, we rode the rest of the race together, occasionally changing places. I was happy with the pace. Just below my limit. I through together a sprint at the end, and rolled in for 6th place.

Even though some thunder storms rolled through the Niagara Region early in the morning, the trails were still in perfect shape. No dust. No mud. Lots of twisty and challenging singletrack.

And, in CDMBR fashion, the end of the race did not mark the end of the good times. Not too many races have a licensed patio within walking distance of the finish line, but the City Tavern did a great job of hosting a bunch of stinky bike riders on a hot day. Tasty food, with a variety of BEvERages available.

Good times. Good times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Great day! I am not gonna tell my story another time, enough for today. Just remember that Rocket Ron and rocks don't match well. Second slash side wall in the last 2 races, it's starting to get expensive. Nice technical course like nothing else in Southern Ontario. Congrats to everybody that finished and podium and a big thank you to all the organizers and people that worked on the trails. It was such a fun day for me and my family, see you next year

I Strava Hamburgers
    Good to meet you too Frosti. Hope your race was alright and your knee held up on you

Just overall a really awesome day riding out in an area I used to take my BMX to a very long time ago. For a further injection of nostalgic flavor, I also got saddled with the same race number I had for my very first BMX race.

Excellent vibe, excellent race, excellent meal. I'll have the page bookmarked for the 2012 version for sure. Will write a full race report in a bit.
    Last edited by 14Stone; 08-01-2011 at 05:33 AM. Reason: FFFFFFFFFFuuu

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Thanks to everyone that made it out to our race yesterday and to the hard working volunteers that pulled it all off.
    The early morning rain shower didn't seem to dampen the spirit of the event at all.
    It sounded like many were impressed with the trail system.

Below is the link for the final results.
    Last edited by PUBCRAWL; 08-08-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Hunter S. Thompson

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Race results have been updated to correct one error and to add in the Youth Race Results.

Hunter S. Thompson

I Strava Hamburgers
    Any photographers post their pics online yet?

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Anyone lose a water bottle? I found a Camelbak Podium bottle on race day on the second lap in Mud Lake. It was fairly full. If it's yours, let me know.

Members who have read this thread: 0