2-3 Day Road Tour - Recommendation on "where"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

2-3 Day Road Tour - Recommendation on "where"

I realize I'm posting a non-MTB question, but I'm also a mountain biker and know this group is both friendly, and smart

I live in Halton region and I'm planning on a 2-3 day credit card tour with my gravel bike. I've done a number of these, but I would like to explore somewhere new. I do have some 'criteria', and with this in mind, I welcome your suggestions on where to ride.

- cycling 75-100k per day
    - paved or gravel roads (not looking for a gravel expedition, but it's ok if there are gravel roads in the mix)
    - I'll need to park my car somewhere, safe (I've pretty much explored all areas close to me...so leaving from my front door isn't going to happen..though I love those tours!)
    - I don't want to drive more than 2 hours to reach my starting point
    - I want to stay in Ontario (US isn't far away, but I don't want to deal with the border). I may do a similar tour in the US another time though
    - I want to see some sites...I'll be bringing a camera and will stop to take photos of nice buildings, lakes/rivers, views from bluffs...what have you
    - I'll need to stay over in a motel or equivalent for one or two nights
    - I've cycled these areas, and don't want to focus on these in my tour: the golden horseshoe (not sure if it's the right name of the region, but the area between Niagara, lake Ontario, lake Erie, to Hamilton), Kitchener, Waterloo and Guelph, Orangeville
    - I'll be doing this during the week, probably in early June, and like most cyclists want to avoid busy roads

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Maybe start somewhere like Collingwood or Owen Sound and head north towards Tobermory? It's nice out that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut View Post
    ...- I don't want to drive more than 2 hours to reach my starting point...
    - I want to stay in Ontario (US isn't far away, but I don't want to deal with the border).
    A couple of options, neither of which meet all of your restrictions but are great areas to ride for anyone else thinking the same.

Vermont: There's so much awesome gravel in Vermont. If you're curious read some of Ottawa local racer Matt Surch's awesome blog on races/routes:

Ottawa: Otherwise you can station yourself in the Ottawa region and get several days of beautiful gravel.

Bromont: East of Montreal is quite spectacular as well.
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

mtbr member
    Prince Edward County might be good. Lots of B&B's throughout the county.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Good ideas, thanks.

Looking for Adventure
    Haliburton Highlands area, with Haliburton as your base point. Lots of very scenic and little travelled secondary roads in that area and heading east. Glorious Canada Shield scenery. Accommodations not too crazy in price. But, you have to appreciate hills, and the reward is great vantage view points. Your route could include a tour around Lake of Bays too.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way