Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

When electric mountain bike no longer a bicycle?

https://www.outsideonline.com/228101...n=facebookpost

The Revolution we tested starts at $9,999 and is based on the slack geometry of a downhill bike. Like a normal downhill bike, it uses high-end RockShox suspension with eight inches of travel up front and nine inches at the rear, plus a 10-speed SRAM derailleur. Unlike a normal downhill bike, its rear wheel contains a 7.3 horsepower motor, the frame is built around a 1,800 watt-hour battery pack, and you can kick the bottom bracket to select a second speed on the single-ring front crank. The 85-tooth-equivalent gearing allows you to provide assistance to the motor, achieving a combined top speed of 60 mph.
    Of course, that’s only after you reprogram it. The bike ships with a power and speed limiter that caps it at 20 mph to achieve legal classification as a pedal-assist bicycle. It also ships with instructions that enable the owner to remove these restrictions.

Because no one is going to buy an 82-pound bicycle, that essentially means HPC is selling a very light electric motorcycle that, thanks to pedals and post-sale programming, is legally considered a bicycle.
    Didn't we say this was coming?
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

Moderator Moderator
    They've been out for years, $10k machines like this and the Stealth will be eaten alive by the sub $4k emotos coming out of China like the Sur Ron which are far better machines and of course many riders are using them where they shouldn't. I think they'll be a problem for ebike access at some point, but not bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Honestly, I have no idea why they even bothered with pedals. it's far to heavy to be a bicycle under human power. And it's not legal on anything but private land, just as the article says. And who's going to buy it, just as the article says. I think this is destined for extinction.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    T I think they'll be a problem for ebike access at some point, but not bikes.
    I'm surprised you, of all people here, would think that. And here I thought land managers and the industry were coming around to the positive acceptance of Class 1 e-mtb's for trail use in general. I do understand how maybe an ignorant writer of a magazine article could promote the ridiculous and downright dangerous high speed capabilities of these electric motorcycles; there is always that 1% group of everything out there that wants to push the edge of what is acceptable and walk all over it.

After reading about a Russian made ATV called a Sherp over the weekend, I stumbled upon some videos of these things in action. Take a peek at this video and several things come to mind: Is this land private or public? Has it ever occured to these atv'rs of the catastrophic damage to the environment they are causing with their off road machines? I'll tell ya, what this Sherp can do to the land it operates in, makes this unending ebike argument on the trails to be a sunday afternoon tea sipping and cheese sampling get together..... Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coTvG8sPSxs

PS: These high powered, high speed electric motorcycles have no business at all operating on any public trail, imo. And as such, should be confiscated if caught doing so. This coming from a Haibike Full FatSix owner and rider.....

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Gutch will be along soon to explain to us Luddites how the owners of these will always be responsible trail users and that they're just low power assisted bicycles that really elevate your heart rate.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    I'm surprised you, of all people here, would think that
    Bikes like that are one of the reasons my local land managers don't allow emtbs on singletrack. They deal with the public every day, they are fully aware that the vast majority of public land users are responsible and polite, and it's the small percentage that ruins it for others. They have no resources to police ebike usage, most if them don't even have LEOs on staff to write tickets. If they don't allow emtbs, they know they'll get a few people poaching on 250w ebikes, they can deal with that. If they allow ebikes, they know they'll get yahoo's on all sorts of self described "ebikes" like these.

Mtbs are a large user group here, well respected and helpful to the land managers and other user groups, we really do get along. No one will ban mtbs based on emtbs, not here anyway.

Bikes like that are one of the reasons my local land managers don't allow emtbs on singletrack. They deal with the public every day, they are fully aware that the vast majority of public land users are responsible and polite, and it's the small percentage that ruins it for others. They have no resources to police ebike usage, most if them don't even have LEOs on staff to write tickets. If they don't allow emtbs, they know they'll get a few people poaching on 250w ebikes, they can deal with that. If they allow ebikes, they know they'll get yahoo's on all sorts of self described "ebikes" like these.

Mtbs are a large user group here, well respected and helpful to the land managers and other user groups, we really do get along. No one will ban mtbs based on emtbs, not here anyway.
    I appreciate your response, though I disagree with the idea of banning all in order to cover the big power electric motorcycle types. A month or 2 or 3 ago, I did a mini rant of sorts on one of these like minded threads; kinda pleading in essence that we ALL join as one, the analog bikes and the class one emtbs on a united front to better protect the interests of all who want to pedal these trails. I'm an east coast person and I come away surprised by all of the hate and angst over the Class 1 bikes. I say this for I see the analog bikers as backing themselves into a corner of selfish intentions when the great wave of weekend warrior types start outnumbering the exclusive club of the hard core mountain biker.

Just my observation as one who wants to not see any access denied a mountain biker. Is it not best for the mtb and emtb-class one crowd to marshall forces against these high powered machines? I sure think so. Cause I do believe that wave is coming, as the baby boomers and millenials age out.....

Mike

PS: My perspective is not that of a single tracker. No high altitude, hugging a cliff side for me, thank you very much!

Is it not best for the mtb and emtb-class one crowd to marshall forces against these high powered machines?

No. The line of demarcation is motors. Some trail networks would be lost with the inclusion of any motorized vehicle. MTBers have far to much to lose by allying with the motorized crowd.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    No. The line of demarcation is motors. Some trail networks would be lost with the inclusion of any motorized vehicle. MTBers have far to much to lose by allying with the motorized crowd.
    Couldn’t agree more. This has to be the line.

10,000,000 Watts
    Gutch will be along soon to explain to us Luddites how the owners of these will always be responsible trail users and that they're just low power assisted bicycles that really elevate your heart rate.
    My heart rate is way up now because I just ordered a Sherp! I’m driving it to the Sierra club meeting next Wednesday btw. A little disappointed that it doesn’t have pedals though.
    “As a top contributor to the Sierra Club, I can honestly say, the next time you wipe, thank a logger.”

10,000,000 Watts
    When electric mountain bike no longer a bicycle?-69847bce-2c53-45ee-9141-9f02d79768ec.jpgHey LBB, I admire your positive attitude towards ebikes so much, I bought a shirt to remind me!
    “As a top contributor to the Sierra Club, I can honestly say, the next time you wipe, thank a logger.”

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Uh, Mr. LBB, I not sure your in the right forum.
    This is ebikes.
    Not e-hates.
    Why don't you start an e-whiners forum?
    Then all you guys can bemoan ebikes to each other.
    Cause no one here is really listening to you anyways.
    BRRRRRRAAAAAPPP that.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    This is ebikes.
    Not e-hates.
    BRRRRRRAAAAAPPP that.

And you're in the wrong forum if you think this is a safe space.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Cycologist
    Yep.

MikeTowpathTraveler needs to look up the meaning of "analog" as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Cycologist
    This is ebikes.
    Not e-hates.
    BRRRRRRAAAAAPPP that.
    I'm not sure you are on the right website, this is a mountain bike website, we talk about ebikes from the perspective of mountain bikers. If you don't like that, I suggest you find an ebike website.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I'm not sure you are on the right website, this is a mountain bike website, we talk about ebikes from the perspective of mountain bikers. If you don't like that, I suggest you find an ebike website.
    All minds do not think alike here on this website. I'm a cyclist. I talk about ebikes from the perspective of a cyclist. For what it's worth, I have many different kinds of bicycles and several ebikes, no eMTB, and I already stated that the "bike" in this thread ain't a bike at all. Let someone ride that up a hill under natural aspirated power and let me know how it goes, something I frequently do with my eBike commuter when I'm out riding with my GF.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I for one don't see the need to "grow the sport" by allowing for more people to mountain bike with motors. Land resources are limited as it is and getting more and more crowded every year. The sad truth of the matter is we are probably not going to get more access period.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

I'm being as neutral and objective as I can be on this idea of bringing in the Class 1 emtb'ers. And I certainly know I'm not going to convince any Analoger otherwise on this site. The analog crowd is going to lose when this idea of militant confrontation against average folks wanting to get off the beaten path greets them at the trail head. As people age out (that includes you, the analog biker), many will still want to stay active. And for them, the Ebike allows them to do that.

The problem with threads like this is that the original intent get's morphed into a lump-them-all-into-one mess that ultimately sees a Locked Thread for it's future ending. Or maybe that was the intent all along? Who knows.

Take a hint from where our major car manufacturer's are going for future propulsion plants and you'll find they all feature electric as the main propulsion engine. The sheer numbers of hybrid and electric car owners wanting to get back into biking, see these ebikes as a natural extension of driving. And I say these numbers of people are going to sweep over the analog crowd like a wave, year after year. You're not going to be able to keep those trails to yourselves indefinitely. Best to face that reality today by formulating some rational ideas on how to incorporate the Class 1's on those trails and keeping out the rogue electric motorcycles with pedals on them.

Or it will be done for you by govt; once the sheer numbers of voting ebikers force the issue by speaking out and demanding action. Just some ideas about what I see coming.....

Moderator Moderator
    I appreciate your response, though I disagree with the idea of banning all in order to cover the big power electric motorcycle types. A month or 2 or 3 ago, I did a mini rant of sorts on one of these like minded threads; kinda pleading in essence that we ALL join as one, the analog bikes and the class one emtbs on a united front to better protect the interests of all who want to pedal these trails. I'm an east coast person and I come away surprised by all of the hate and angst over the Class 1 bikes. I say this for I see the analog bikers as backing themselves into a corner of selfish intentions when the great wave of weekend warrior types start outnumbering the exclusive club of the hard core mountain biker.

Just my observation as one who wants to not see any access denied a mountain biker. Is it not best for the mtb and emtb-class one crowd to marshall forces against these high powered machines? I sure think so. Cause I do believe that wave is coming, as the baby boomers and millenials age out.....

Mike

PS: My perspective is not that of a single tracker. No high altitude, hugging a cliff side for me, thank you very much!
    I can only comment based on my trail user environment, which is exceedingly pro mtb, emtbs don't bring anything to the table that we need. I've been in trail advocacy for over a decade, and 99.9% of mtb riders don't do a thing to help out, it'll be the same for emtb riders. The industry doesn't significantly contribute to trail builds, or advocacy, it's all local, if they don't give us money now, why would I expect them to in the future if we embrace emtbs? I woudn't expect emtb riders streaming in and dropping off $1000 checks, maybe a few $20 and $100 contributions here and there, which are nice, but really diddly, when you have $15k-$150k budgets for a trailbuild, you rely on grant money.

Like I said earlier, there's no threat that ebikes will jeopardize mtb access here, but in places with that are more antagonistic against mtbs, I could see it being an issue.

Unfortunately, the industry screwed guys like you, who just want to ride essentially EU spec emtbs, if they had adopted those specs exactly, you'd enjoy much more access. But with the US laws being so much more lenient, and enforcement being essentially non existent in most places, it'll be a much harder task. Given that the industry has done nothing to solve derestricting, or address the fact that anyone can start importing and selling anything they want to call an ebike, I think that emtb access will be increasingly threatened as higher powered emtbs start to show up on the trails.

Not my problem to solve, I'll stay out of it.

I'm being as neutral and objective as I can be on this idea of bringing in the Class 1 emtb'ers. And I certainly know I'm not going to convince any Analoger otherwise on this site. The analog crowd is going to lose when this idea of militant confrontation against average folks wanting to get off the beaten path greets them at the trail head. As people age out (that includes you, the analog biker), many will still want to stay active. And for them, the Ebike allows them to do that.

The problem with threads like this is that the original intent get's morphed into a lump-them-all-into-one mess that ultimately sees a Locked Thread for it's future ending. Or maybe that was the intent all along? Who knows.

Take a hint from where our major car manufacturer's are going for future propulsion plants and you'll find they all feature electric as the main propulsion engine. The sheer numbers of hybrid and electric car owners wanting to get back into biking, see these ebikes as a natural extension of driving. And I say these numbers of people are going to sweep over the analog crowd like a wave, year after year. You're not going to be able to keep those trails to yourselves indefinitely. Best to face that reality today by formulating some rational ideas on how to incorporate the Class 1's on those trails and keeping out the rogue electric motorcycles with pedals on them.

Or it will be done for you by govt; once the sheer numbers of voting ebikers force the issue by speaking out and demanding action. Just some ideas about what I see coming.....

Which has nothing at all to do with "solely human powered". Nice straw man, watch it burn.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Moderator Moderator
    Or maybe that was the intent all alOr it will be done for you by govt; once the sheer numbers of voting ebikers force the issue by speaking out and demanding action. Just some ideas about what I see coming.....
    Public land management policy isn't set by voting. You can show up at a public meeting and make your voice heard, but the people who make those decisions have no obligation to act on your wishes.

If you want to influence public land management policy, you have to develop relationships with public poicy makers, and IME, help make their job easier by being a partner and helping them solve problems. It also helps if you can show you are representing a significant user group and can accomplish things. All of this takes years.

You could also try to bribe people I suppose.

Harryman: I appreciate the input and personal perspective you've brought to the table here, very much!

Mike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    I hope to never see a machine like the one in the OP on my local trails ever.....
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Cycologist

Dude, again, wth is an "analog bicycle"? If you are trying to differentiate an electric motor propelled bike from a traditional bike, "traditional" or even "manual" would be more appropriate, though "bicycle" is all you really need to say. And yes, motorized bikes will transition to electric motors just like automobiles, but trying to compare a bicycle to an ice automobile doesn't make any sense.

10,000,000 Watts
    I think some people that do motocross and ride mtbs are drawn into emtbs. I know I am. It’s my 2 favorite hobbies wrapped into 1. This debate can go on forever and probably will. Who would have thought something could potentially divide mtbrs? There’s going to be some serious poaching going on. Not that I’m an advocate of it, but reality of more and more emtbs coming...

10,000,000 Watts
    Dude, again, wth is an "analog bicycle"? If you are trying to differentiate an electric motor propelled bike from a traditional bike, "traditional" or even "manual" would be more appropriate, though "bicycle" is all you really need to say. And yes, motorized bikes will transition to electric motors just like automobiles, but trying to compare a bicycle to an ice automobile doesn't make any sense.
    Some riders in the U.K. call them “Acustic” vs. “electric”. It’s like John Denver or Van Halen😀

mtbr member
    Bicycle: a vehicle with two wheels tandem, handlebars for steering, a saddle seat, and pedals by which it is propelled

Motorcycle: a two-wheeled vehicle that is powered by a motor and has no pedals.

If you removed the pedals from a bike, it could be pushed but not driven.

If you removed the pedals from an e-bike, would it still be able to be ridden (not just pushed)?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

10,000,000 Watts
    Not mine.

tire to rim ratio tester

Mike

That is a really good post. It's refreshing to see someone objective who can look at both sides of a subject and not immediately take one side. Instead of fighting about access, wouldn't it be a better idea to simply appreciate access that we have, and plan access that we want, all of us together?

I get the paranoia from the pedal bikers. That this e-bike thing is a slippery slope, that if you allow class 1, then class 2/3 starts poaching, and then if you give up against those, then class 4 enters, and it's all over, the trail is banned for everyone. That should not happen if the county/state/feds were properly educated on what the similarities and differences class 1 has vs. a normal mountain bike, what the impact, or lack of impact is, and how to tell the difference between the various bike types. Maybe there needs to be large stickers designating the class of e-bike, so they are quickly recognized and determined if they are allowed on the trail system or not. There will always be cheaters/poachers, guys with real motorcycles on the trails, class 4 on the trails (although I have not seen a class 4 yet there). But banning all bikes on a trail is just lazy, it's giving up on the problem more than addressing it correctly. It's like banning all cars from the freeway because some people drink alcohol, or speed. And drinking/speeding in a car is FAR more dangerous than some e-bike speeding around a trail, you have to admit that... You have to take the bad with the good. Nothing is perfect. You cannot proceed with any of this until someone is realistic about what could and will happen on the trails, accept it, and then make the best compromise. It's the purists/perfectionists that are slowing down the access progress with their personality disorders.
    "A $1700 bike is not fit to be hucked from a curb"
    MTB B'Dos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    That is a really good post. It's refreshing to see someone objective who can look at both sides of a subject and not immediately take one side. Instead of fighting about access, wouldn't it be a better idea to simply appreciate access that we have, and plan access that we want, all of us together?

I get the paranoia from the pedal bikers. That this e-bike thing is a slippery slope, that if you allow class 1, then class 2/3 starts poaching, and then if you give up against those, then class 4 enters, and it's all over, the trail is banned for everyone. That should not happen if the county/state/feds were properly educated on what the similarities and differences class 1 has vs. a normal mountain bike, what the impact, or lack of impact is, and how to tell the difference between the various bike types. Maybe there needs to be large stickers designating the class of e-bike, so they are quickly recognized and determined if they are allowed on the trail system or not. There will always be cheaters/poachers, guys with real motorcycles on the trails, class 4 on the trails (although I have not seen a class 4 yet there). But banning all bikes on a trail is just lazy, it's giving up on the problem more than addressing it correctly. It's like banning all cars from the freeway because some people drink alcohol, or speed. And drinking/speeding in a car is FAR more dangerous than some e-bike speeding around a trail, you have to admit that... You have to take the bad with the good. Nothing is perfect. You cannot proceed with any of this until someone is realistic about what could and will happen on the trails, accept it, and then make the best compromise. It's the purists/perfectionists that are slowing down the access progress with their personality disorders.

Or, if they have motors they are no longer bikes and they can ride some places but not all.
    Talk about a personality disorder, look in the mirror dude.
    Last edited by sfgiantsfan; 09-11-2018 at 04:09 PM.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Cycologist
    What's a "class 4" ebike?

Moderator Moderator
    What's a "class 4" ebike?
    Shorthand for an >750w emoto

Moderator Moderator
    That should not happen if the county/state/feds were properly educated on what the similarities and differences class 1 has vs. a normal mountain bike, what the impact, or lack of impact is, and how to tell the difference between the various bike types.
    Ok, as an example, my land managers are well aware of the current classes of ebikes, and almost all ride mtbs, so they can tell them apart. I doubt they will spend their free time keeping up with emerging technology though, it's not in their job description. Anyone stepping up to send them to seminars?

Maybe there needs to be large stickers designating the class of e-bike, so they are quickly recognized and determined if they are allowed on the trail system or not.
    As required by law, there already are class stickers. Which only help if there is money in the budget for people to check them. Isn't any in most places.

But banning all bikes on a trail is just lazy, it's giving up on the problem more than addressing it correctly.
    No one is banning mtbs because of ebikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Mike

There is no we. Motors are the line in the sand. So to speak. There are no "classes" of e bikes. Just a sticker or mod away from a free for all of anything goes. East coast guy here. MA rider. It's not angst, they are just illegal for the most part here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

It's inevitable? Ugg. 55 here, I just become a couch potato when I hit 60? Yikes. Voters? Of what? Going to change the local conservation easements and policy makers minds? Good luck with that. Going to rewrite the land rules banning motorized vehicles? Hmmm. And now e bikes=driving my prius? Okay. Demanding action? All I hear is crickets. Good luck with that. Really.
    Last edited by leeboh; 09-11-2018 at 05:50 PM.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    And you're in the wrong forum if you think this is a safe space.
    I don't think it is a safe space.
    Specially with guys like you around trying to tell us all ebikes are the end of the world.
    Your not here to debate, just antagonize.
    Dats what Trolls do bra.
    Nobody cares.
    Now Gimme some red rep brah!
    and say something mean too, so you don't break character .
    Good luck in life my friend!
    I hope we don't see each other on the trail.
    If we did, I would be the guy passing you.
    On my Levo.
    BRRRAAAAPPP!!!

When electric mountain bike no longer a bicycle?-idk-thanks-.jpg

poser Administrator
    Specially with guys like you around trying to tell us all ebikes are the end of the world.
    Dats what Trolls do bra.
    Nobody cares.
    On my Levo.
    BRRRAAAAPPP!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IDK THANKS!.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	1216013
    I think he was trying to be nice and show that this isn't the safest space to discuss the merits of Ebikes. MTBR, while having an Ebike forum, isn't necessarily welcoming of them. However at least you were a dick about it so good luck with your future interactions here and expecting people to be accepting of your point of view.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Big Mac
    Dats what Trolls do bra.
    Nobody cares.
    On my Levo.
    BRRRAAAAPPP!!!

How old are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Dats what Trolls do bra.
    Nobody cares.
    On my Levo.
    BRRRAAAAPPP!!!

Honest question... Are you stupid?

Big Mac
    That is a really good post. Nothing is perfect. You cannot proceed with any of this until someone is realistic about what could and will happen on the trails, accept it, and then make the best compromise. It's the purists/perfectionists that are slowing down the access progress with their personality disorders.
    Are talking about the analogists?

Moderator Moderator
    Just a small aside - using the term "braaap" is probably not a great idea if you want legal access to nonmotorized trails.

I know it sounds cool and fun. But you probably want to avoid the association with motorcycles, not flaunt it.

But hey, what do I know.

-Walt

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Just a small aside - using the term "braaap" is probably not a great idea if you want legal access to nonmotorized trails.

I know it sounds cool and fun. But you probably want to avoid the association with motorcycles, not flaunt it.

But hey, what do I know.

-Walt
    If I were an anti-MTB “HOH”, I’d take screenshots of his posts and use them as evidence at the local land management meeting.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    If I were an anti-MTB “HOH”, I’d take screenshots of his posts and use them as evidence at the local land management meeting.

They probably already are. Idiots.

I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Wishful thinking. What you said is like asking for world peace. Who's going to pay for policing of ebikes? You? regular mountain bikers? bike shops? bike manufacturers? aint happening.

The easiest way to distinguish them is if it has a motor or not. We need not go any further.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It's like banning all cars from the freeway because some people drink alcohol, or speed. And drinking/speeding in a car is FAR more dangerous than some e-bike speeding around a trail, you have to admit that...
    How are the two subjects even related???
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

10,000,000 Watts
    Are there any ebikers on this thread? Braap Braap Braap!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    Are there any ebikers on this thread? Braap Braap Braap!
    There are hardly any ebikers on this forum, let alone this thread. There is like 5 to 15 people who view this forum and most are here against ebikes. This is a mountain biking web site after all, not an ebike web site.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't have an ebike, but have ridden several class 1 Ebikes and love them. My next purchase will be an ebike. Reviewing this form it is sad how quickly ebike people are attacked. I can see why people who love Ebikes don't post often. There are clear rules at the top of this form that are not being enforced.
    Form Rules
    All posts about trail access will now be moved to the Trail Building and Advocacy sub-forum (Trail Building and Advocacy - Mtbr.com)

This section is for discussion of eBikes and eBike specific accessories, discussions about legality and such will be moved out of this section or deleted at the Moderators' discretion.

Threads started to purposefully incite other users will be deleted.

The modding of ebikes to make them faster is irresponsible and dangerous. Sure it happens all the time but MTBR will not promote this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thread lost me at 'analog biker'.

Frigging Bizzarro World.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebeau View Post
    There are hardly any ebikers on this forum, let alone this thread. There is like 5 to 15 people who view this forum and most are here against ebikes. This is a mountain biking web site after all, not an ebike web site.
    Thank you for your keen wisdom on the matter. Did you not click on “ebikes?”

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    The modding of ebikes to make them faster is irresponsible and dangerous. Sure it happens all the time but MTBR will not promote this.
    ...and you're ok with this? Or you would just as well turn a blind eye for the sake of your enjoyment?
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

Bipolar roller
    I don’t think anyone can stop modding of ebikes anymore than they could stop someone from modding their mountain bike. People are going to do it.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    ...and you're ok with this? Or you would just as well turn a blind eye for the sake of your enjoyment?
    He's quoting the forum rules, but he didn't put it in quotes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I am waiting for the wave of e-mtbs to wash over the Earth and purify it of non-motorized idiots. Think of all the extra food on the shelves because so many less calories burned with "non biking". (but you get just as good of a work out(probably better!))

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I'm new here, but not new to cycling. I was racing mountain bikes in the 80's and cycling is still my main passion today. Earlier this year I lost a lung due to illness and am currently unable to ride at any meaningful level. I demo'd an eMTB last week and had an absolutely great time and great ride. It was like being reborn. It was a workout (breathing heavy throughout, but at a level that I could manage) that clearly has rehabilitative value. Not to mention the psychological benefits of reconnecting with my passion and the happiness that ensued.

I live in MA and I was warned that NEMBA is hostile to eMTBs. I read their policy today and it is definitely hostile. I guess they finally joined the elites and pulled the ladder up behind them. I feel betrayed by the community that I have been a part of for so long. If you are one of the many posters hostile to eMTBs, I hope you can re-think your position on this. This division makes no sense and it fractures the camaraderie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    "But banning all bikes on a trail is just lazy, it's giving up on the problem more than addressing it correctly. It's like banning all cars from the freeway because some people drink alcohol, or speed. "

But, it has and does happen. Calling it "lazy" doesn't change that it's likely.

"And drinking/speeding in a car is FAR more dangerous than some e-bike speeding around a trail, you have to admit that... "

Which is why these behaviors are illegal. It's not driving that's illegal -- the line of demarcation is driving while under the influence. You agree there has to be a line -- you prefer the Class 1 line. Motor/no-motor is another clear line of demarcation which some of us think makes more sense given human nature, which may indeed include "lazy" or easiest solution.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    How are the two subjects even related???
    I think what richj8990 is saying is that some (most?) eMTB riders are likely to ride responsibly, so let's not assume that e-bikers are uniformly dangerous and threatening to the sport.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    So understanding the difference between something with a motor and something without a motor=being an eliteist.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by karthur View Post
    So understanding the difference between something with a motor and something without a motor=being an eliteist.
    No, of course not. Just re-frame "elitist." When equestrians were busy trying to get bicycles banned from trails, I'd say they were exercising the power of the elite. They had money and power and didn't want to share "their" resources with anyone else. Cyclists developed power by organizing and cooperating. Now they have become the elite by using their own money and power to ban a new category of trail users. History repeats itself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I understand, people that don't agree with you are the elites.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridenomatterwhat View Post
    No, of course not. Just re-frame "elitist." When equestrians were busy trying to get bicycles banned from trails, I'd say they were exercising the power of the elite. They had money and power and didn't want to share "their" resources with anyone else. Cyclists developed power by organizing and cooperating. Now they have become the elite by using their own money and power to ban a new category of trail users. History repeats itself.

You are confusing "purist" for "elitist".

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Motorized vehicles have always been banned on some trails.

Bipolar roller
    There is a big difference between equestrians, bicycle riders and embt riders when It comes to money. Mtbs can be had for very cheap to expensive. However, owning a horse or an embt takes a good amount of disposable income and there is no inexpensive alternative. These are things that usually only the elite can afford. So emtbs is really an activity reserved for the elite like horse back riding.

Those who own an embt are most likely in a more elite financial class than someone who just owns a mountain bike and most likely to have more power (influence) than an individual mtber just like equestrians.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    There is a big difference between equestrians, bicycle riders and ebike riders when It comes to money. Mtbs can be had for very cheap to expensive. However, owning a horse or an ebike (capable of tough terrain) takes a good amount of disposable income and there is no inexpensive alternative. These are things that usually only the elite can afford. So emtbs is really an activity reserved for the elite like horse back riding.

Those who own an embt are most likely in a more elite financial class than someone who just owns a mountain bike and most likely to have more power than an individual mtber.
    Look, you can pick apart "elitist" and "purist." The big picture is that trail users want to exclude other trail users. Now it's MTB against eMTB, whatever the arguments might be. Feel free to make a philosophical debate of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    . Now they have become the elite by using their own money and power to ban a new category of trail users. History repeats itself.
    You are delusional

Mountain bikers had nothing at all to do with motorized vehicles being disallowed from most N.E. trails. Maybe you should try educating yourself a little something about what the actual 'history' of MTB access around here is rather than just making up random conspiracy theories to fit your narrative.

Also, NEMBA's position it that eMTBs are a separate user group from mountain bikers, due to the undeniable and wildly obvious fact that they have a motor, which in itself is enough to cost us a TON of hard-won trail access in this part of the country. NEMBA would be shooting itself in the foot to all of a sudden start pushing the false agenda that 'bicycles have motors now, deal with it' after spending decades driving home the human-powered-only characteristics of MTBing to land managers.

Again, try to have an idea what you're talking about before going and getting all indignant over imaginary issues.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Look, you can pick apart "elitist" and "purist." The big picture is that trail users want to exclude other trail users. Now it's MTB against eMTB, whatever the arguments might be. Feel free to make a philosophical debate of it.

And? Some users have and always will be excluded from some trails, including bicycles. What makes you think e-motorbikes should be exempted from the same exclusions? No philosophy required.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    May 2014
    So your philosophy is that no trail users should be excluded? Those who choose to say ride motos are free to ride on any trail they want because trail users shouldn’t be excluding other trail users.

And? Some users have and always will be excluded from some trails, including bicycles. What makes you think e-motorbikes should be exempted from the same exclusions? No philosophy required.
    But, but, everyone gets a trophy still, right?

10,000,000 Watts
    All this bickering makes me wanna go crack a beer... oh wait, I already have one. Well I reckon I should plug in for tommorows unplugged time on brown carpet ride.

Moderator Moderator
    It's actually MTB against eMTB against eMTB, which I find amusing. Class 1 riders don't want Class 2 riders on the trail either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was quoting the form rules and it seems like the anti ebike folks just ignore.
    Personally, I'm only okay with class 1 ebikes. I've seen plenty on the trails and not one was riding irresponsible. All had huge smiles on thier faces and they looked just like any other mountian bikers. No dirt roosting off the rear wheels, no wake of normal bikers going holy crap what just passed us or hikers.
    I honestly don't see what class 1 ebikes do that get the anti e bikers panties all bunched up. They go slightly faster uphill then a regular mountain bike, that's the only difference I see.
    I can't wait to get an Levo or Kenvo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    You are delusional

Mountain bikers had nothing at all to do with motorized vehicles being disallowed from most N.E. trails. Maybe you should try educating yourself a little something about what the actual 'history' of MTB access around here is rather than just making up random conspiracy theories to fit your narrative.

Also, NEMBA's position it that eMTBs are a separate user group from mountain bikers, due to the undeniable and wildly obvious fact that they have a motor, which in itself is enough to cost us a TON of hard-won trail access in this part of the country. NEMBA would be shooting itself in the foot to all of a sudden start pushing the false agenda that 'bicycles have motors now, deal with it' after spending decades driving home the human-powered-only characteristics of MTBing to land managers.

Again, try to have an idea what you're talking about before going and getting all indignant over imaginary issues.
    You're getting hostile slaphead. But I'll tell you what. I was riding in MA before NEMBA ever existed. I've done more to maintain multi-user trails in my area than NEMBA ever did. I have supported NEMBA with cash donations. I have ridden with NEMBA people who openly flout their access guidelines and then scold others for doing the same. I applauded NEMBA when they took action to keep "Vietnam" open with a land purchase.

NEMBA isn't perfect and neither am I. I don't expect NEMBA, or you, for that matter, to agree with me, but you don't have to be such a dick about it.

Moderator Moderator
    I'm new here, but not new to cycling. I was racing mountain bikes in the 80's and cycling is still my main passion today. Earlier this year I lost a lung due to illness and am currently unable to ride at any meaningful level. I demo'd an eMTB last week and had an absolutely great time and great ride. It was like being reborn. It was a workout (breathing heavy throughout, but at a level that I could manage) that clearly has rehabilitative value. Not to mention the psychological benefits of reconnecting with my passion and the happiness that ensued.

I live in MA and I was warned that NEMBA is hostile to eMTBs. I read their policy today and it is definitely hostile. I guess they finally joined the elites and pulled the ladder up behind them. I feel betrayed by the community that I have been a part of for so long. If you are one of the many posters hostile to eMTBs, I hope you can re-think your position on this. This division makes no sense and it fractures the camaraderie.
    I think you will find that pretty much everyone here is fully supportive of e-bike use on any trails for folks with handicaps. I don't know about NEMBA in particular, but here in Park City you are exempt from the e-bike ban. Come on out and ride!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You're getting hostile slaphead. But I'll tell you what. I was riding in MA before NEMBA ever existed. I've done more to maintain multi-user trails in my area than NEMBA ever did. I have supported NEMBA with cash donations. I have ridden with NEMBA people who openly flout their access guidelines and then scold others for doing the same. I applauded NEMBA when they took action to keep "Vietnam" open with a land purchase.

NEMBA isn't perfect and neither am I. I don't expect NEMBA, or you, for that matter, to agree with me, but you don't have to be such a dick about it.
    I am somewhat hostile to people making things up out of thin air and presenting them as facts.
    There is no 'agree' or 'disagree' here; you said mountain bikers (through NEMBA) had a hand in getting motorized vehicles banned from the trails. That's 100% false. NEMBA didn't exist then; hell, mountain biking barely existed then. Your basis for labeling the organisation as a bunch of 'elitists' is premised on nothing.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Moderator Moderator
    It's a fair point - I'm unaware of any instances of motos getting banned because of mountain bikers advocating for it. Motos dug their own grave most places by acting like buffoons, and because the AMA was too retarded to rescind their weight limit rules and let manufacturers build lightweight/low power/quiet motos.

Don't even get me started on the ATV/shoot signs/drink whiskey and roll my RAZR off an embankment with my whole family inside people.

A lot of people reflexively hate anything with a motor on a trail at this point. It'll be a long road to change that mindset.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I tire of this pointless argument. Peace be with you. Enjoy your rides.

mtbr member
    It's actually MTB against eMTB against eMTB, which I find amusing. Class 1 riders don't want Class 2 riders on the trail either.

^purists
    I brake for stinkbugs

Big Mac
    You are confusing "purist" for "elitist".
    I think the proper term is “analog cyclist”.

Big Mac
    Motorbikes are not new user groups, and have been banned on non motorized trails for a long time.

banned
    Jul 2018
    History does repeat itself, just not in the way that you imagine.

What the motor bicycle folks are trying to do is ride the coat tails of the advocacy that mountain bikers have been doing for years. This advocacy has resulted in many areas permitting mountain bikes because they are human-powered.

History is repeating itself here because way back when the Blue Ribbon Coalition (moto and ATV guys) argued that we should ban together with them lest we lose access to riding areas. That was happening to them but it made no sense to align ourselves with a moto/ATV group (that was funded by extraction industries also...) because we were already have a hard enough time with the land managers and other user groups without being equated with the braaap crowd.

It strikes me that many of the motor bicycle proponents have never been involved in sit-across-a-table-from-HOHAs-for-months advocacy and simply can't understand what it would mean to include motor bicycles in those access discussions.

10,000,000 Watts
    ^Also true for 99.9% of mtbrs. Emtbs are low in numbers compared to mtbs. Emtbs are still relatively new in the big scheme of things. Emtbrs are a “new” trail user and it’s going to take some time to get things rolling. I was talking to my local state park and they said, no ebikes. I asked them maybe allow a day a week for try out? Yet to hear back. Very few emtbs in my area that I’ve personally seen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Got a HP card, no issues. And check out the ADA, lots of info there. Hostile? Um no. Just not legal for the most part here in MA. We have advocated for human powered access, e bikes are something different and need to be treated as such. Add in DCR rules as well as town conservation agreements regarding non motorized access. Motos had access, flouted the laws and made a mess of the trails. They did themselves in without our help. Advocating for changing the rules if you don't like them. Just don't expect lots of mt bikers to help you. ( Some maybe?) Mt bike access here in MA is tenuous at best, the thought of motorized ebikes causing harm to trail access? Good luck with your advocacy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I tire of this pointless argument. Peace be with you. Enjoy your rides.
    Not an argument, education.
    I have no issues with sharing trails with ebikes personally, but mountain bikers are not responsible for e-bikes losing or growing their access in any way. That is NEMBAs position also; they are a mountain bike advocacy organization, not an e-bike advocacy organization. Pretty simple.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    I was quoting the form rules and it seems like the anti ebike folks just ignore.
    Personally, I'm only okay with class 1 ebikes. I've seen plenty on the trails and not one was riding irresponsible. All had huge smiles on thier faces and they looked just like any other mountian bikers. No dirt roosting off the rear wheels, no wake of normal bikers going holy crap what just passed us or hikers.
    I honestly don't see what class 1 ebikes do that get the anti e bikers panties all bunched up. They go slightly faster uphill then a regular mountain bike, that's the only difference I see.
    I can't wait to get an Levo or Kenvo.

I'm fine with class 1 ebikes also, but as pointed out in the original post, there is absolutely no way to differentiate a class 1 ebike from a moped disguised as one. Hence the point of this post. If ebikers want to ride on trails that are open for motorized vehicles I for one have no objections, but the line of demarcation for all other access IS the motor...
    Last edited by Lemonaid; 09-13-2018 at 07:50 AM.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

10,000,000 Watts
    There’s many “non motorized” trails that allow ebikes. Just depends where you live.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    There’s many “non motorized” trails that allow ebikes. Just depends where you live.
    Or, depending on where you live, there are absolutely no “non motorized” trails that allow ebikes. This is goes for the vast majority of places. I am not even sure how far away the closest place is that I could ride an ebike on a non moto trail. There are not a lot.

banned
    Jul 2018
    ^Also true for 99.9% of mtbrs. Emtbs are low in numbers compared to mtbs. Emtbs are still relatively new in the big scheme of things. Emtbrs are a “new” trail user and it’s going to take some time to get things rolling. I was talking to my local state park and they said, no ebikes. I asked them maybe allow a day a week for try out? Yet to hear back. Very few emtbs in my area that I’ve personally seen.
    Whataboutism isn't advocacy.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    ^purists
    Right? Haters too, goes without saying.

10,000,000 Watts
    You’re absolutely correct. Want to advocate for ebikes on singletrack with me? I totally agree that all us emtbrs need to do some serious advocacy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You’re absolutely correct. Want to advocate for ebikes on singletrack with me? I totally agree that all us emtbrs need to do some serious advocacy.
    Once again..."You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Gutch again."
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

banned
    Jul 2018
    Want to advocate for ebikes on singletrack with me?
    Not me.

See my previous comments about the BRC and the real world problems that advocating for motorized use create for mountain bike advocates.

10,000,000 Watts
    I know, I was just kidding!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebeau View Post
    Or, depending on where you live, there are absolutely no “non motorized” trails that allow ebikes. This is goes for the vast majority of places. I am not even sure how far away the closest place is that I could ride an ebike on a non moto trail. There are not a lot.
    Lake Tahoe Nevada state park http://parks.nv.gov/forms/Spooner_backcountry_map.pdf

Not sure if upper Corral and Sidewinder allow motos in South Lake.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    You are delusional

Also, NEMBA's position it that eMTBs are a separate user group from mountain bikers, due to the undeniable and wildly obvious fact that they have a motor, which in itself is enough to cost us a TON of hard-won trail access in this part of the country.
    I've seen this argument multiple times on here, that eMTB will cost MTB trail access, but has that ever happened that anyone knows of? If so, what are the details? Or is it just one of many possible outcomes?

10,000,000 Watts
    Thx SHM. I think it’s time we lay out differences aside and realize this is a new beast. I have been a mtbr since climbing mt tam with a damn smoke in my mouth. Btw, lived in NY at the time. As a long time bmxer and mtbr, I’m looking for a few old school riders to understand the emtb thing. It’s a lot of fun!
    Last edited by Gutch; 09-14-2018 at 06:54 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by notb View Post
    I've seen this argument multiple times on here, that eMTB will cost MTB trail access, but has that ever happened that anyone knows of? If so, what are the details? Or is it just one of many possible outcomes?
    Nah, there's not enough emtbs in the wild in the US for anyone outside of a few places in CA to even notice. They'll only have a chance to be a problem if there is ever enough of them to be a problem. Chicken and egg, the shops here have stopped selling emtbs AFAICT since there's very few trails to ride them on legally.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Honest question... Are you stupid?
    Yes. for coming to this site/forum.
    Like John Wayne said, Life is hard.
    It's harder when your stupid.
    Or when you don't have an e-bike.
    BUUURRRRRRAAAAP!
    Carry on cubicle dwellers.
    Nothing to see here.

BUUURRRRRRAAAAP!
    Nothing to see here.

Yet here you are.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Big Mac
    BUUURRRRRRAAAAP!
    Nothing to see here.
    It’s “you’re stupid”, not “your stupid”, stupid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Got a HP card, no issues. And check out the ADA, lots of info there. Hostile? Um no. Just not legal for the most part here in MA. We have advocated for human powered access, e bikes are something different and need to be treated as such. Add in DCR rules as well as town conservation agreements regarding non motorized access. Motos had access, flouted the laws and made a mess of the trails. They did themselves in without our help. Advocating for changing the rules if you don't like them. Just don't expect lots of mt bikers to help you. ( Some maybe?) Mt bike access here in MA is tenuous at best, the thought of motorized ebikes causing harm to trail access? Good luck with your advocacy.

You're right, eMTBs are something different, which is why it's wrong to lump them in with motorized vehicles. It's a very simple view that if a bicycle has a motor, it should be treated like a JEEP. You might as well lump your bicycle in with your skateboard. Is the "motor vs. non-motor" the logic that you will continue to depend on?

So far I have seen no evidence that eMTBs have caused trail closures. Please enlighten me if there is an actual example of this happening. Meanwhile, NEMBA is fearmongering about access being endangered by eMTBs while "purist" MTB riders are in fact causing trail closures, e.g, Los Alto Hills, CA, where the problem was excessive speed in a mixed user environment. And every eastern MA rider knows that NEMBA riders are flouting their own policies and riding on trails that they agreed, with land use managers, were prohibited trails.

Here is what's going to happen. People are going to ride eMTBs on most of the trails currently used by MTB riders. If any officials have a beef with it, all off-road cyclists will suffer the same consequences. In a sense, NEMBA is screwing itself with their chosen policy position. It's better to unite than divide. Or, the alternative outcome might be that eMTB riders join the crowd of MTB riders and nobody actually cares.

If you want to maintain access, it's more about responsible behavior, showing respect and courtesy, and forming relationships with other trail users. A good way to do this is to keep the trails clean and in good repair for everyone. Carry out some trash from time to time, even if it's not yours. If you see somebody who needs help, help them. Influence people directly and when access is being hashed out in town meetings, someone that you made friends with is going to stand up and say "I've met some riders on the trails and they're good people. One guy was actually hauling out some trash." That is the best advocate you could ever hope to get, and that's my brand of advocacy. I work best at the grass roots level. I thank NEMBA for all of the good work they have done with their own very effective advocacy.

Thanks for the advice on ADA. Have great rides!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So far I have seen no evidence that eMTBs have caused trail closures. Please enlighten me if there is an actual example of this happening. Meanwhile, NEMBA is fearmongering about access being endangered by eMTBs while "purist" MTB riders are in fact causing trail closures, e.g, Los Alto Hills, CA, where the problem was excessive speed in a mixed user environment. And every eastern MA rider knows that NEMBA riders are flouting their own policies and riding on trails that they agreed, with land use managers, were prohibited trails.
    Easy enough. Just allow a bunch of those ebikes mentioned in the article above on to the trails. In about a year you'll have your example.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast