Specialized Ebike problems- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Specialized Ebike problems

Most of the folks around here in Norcal are getting Specialized Levo bikes when getting into ebikes.

But I'm seeing a lot of motor problems on Version 1 and 2.

Anyone have any experience good or bad on the motor/electronics?

fc
    IPA will save America

e=mtb2
    Seven Specialized ebikes including five Levos (2018 and 2019 models) in the extended family with no issues.

This may have something to do with the set up and service quality at our LBS.
    "Every tire size, casing, tread, and pressure is a compromise." mikesee

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post
    Seven Specialized ebikes including five Levos (2018 and 2019 models) in the extended family with no issues.

This may have something to do with the set up and service quality at our LBS.
    Seven? Do tell. What's the story?

I heard it's typical for ebike buyers to come back to the store and buy more.

I had a friend I used to ride with 20 years ago try an ebike in my garage, a Mondraker. He then went and bought a Kenevo. Then a month later he bought two more for family members. Loves them. Two of the motors had issues but bike shop took care of them.
    IPA will save America

e=mtb2
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Seven? Do tell. What's the story?...
    Mrs levity and I wanted to give them a try and went all in the Fall of ‘17 buying two 2018 Levos and two Vados. Loved them. Also enjoy our regular mtbs, but sold our road bikes. I bought a 2019 Levo to accept a 700Wh battery and passed the ‘18 on to my son. My brother and his wife rode our Levos and had to get their own! So that’s 7 in all.

Yes, we were apprehensive at the outset, but it turns out that they’re easier to work on than first anticipated. Problems will likely occur, but serviceability and warranty support should take care of things. Even a new motor out of warranty would cost less than a nice wheel set. We’re happy, they add a new dimension to our regular mtbs.

Class Clown
    what motor?

Dirt Huffer
    You might see lots of Levo issues online, but it might be due to way more people having them than any other ebike. Like, there must be 100 Levos sold for every 1 of another brand eBike

mtbr member
    2 Levo owner here. 2017 and 2018. The 2017 has been rock solid, been ridden mostly by my riding buddies and family, and regularly abused on the trails. The 2018 has had it's share of issues recently, including a new motor and cassette. But everything was changed under warranty at no cost to me. I love both bikes but my third Ebike is a 2017 Haibike with the Yamaha motor and it is just a beautiful, strong, reliable piece of equipment. I will most likely keep this one but renew the levos in the next 12-18 month.

mtbr member
    The biggest issue I’ve seen is having a dealer that’s not up to speed on the Levo’s. If the shop guys don’t take an interest in learning about them, or are borderline against ebikes, your just not going to get good service. I try to support my local shops, but keep getting let down. My view could be skewed though, from working in auto repair shops for the past 20 years and working with talented, customer service oriented guys.
    I don’t want to be “that guy”, telling them how to to their job. But after 2 times of trying to get the newest firmware updates and getting blank stares or waiting 2 days to find out they didn’t do it, I’m ready to go out of the area for good service.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Brose motors?

I have personally ridden these and no problems, And I do mean flogged them through thick and thin...

10,000,000 Watts
    Has anyone ever seen Ned Overend on a Levo? Dudes a stud.
    Peace sells, but who’s buying..

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Most of the folks around here in Norcal are getting Specialized Levo bikes when getting into ebikes.

But I'm seeing a lot of motor problems on Version 1 and 2.

Anyone have any experience good or bad on the motor/electronics?

fc
    I've had an expert 2019 since Feb with 535 miles so far. Here are my issues:

1) One of the battery charging LED lights does not illuminate. When charging, it does not blink in the 50-75% range. When full charge, only 3 of four lights show up. This has not been a problem for use.

2) Occasionally on a long ride I take a break and turn it off. On four occasions, restarting has resulted in an alternating blue/red LED on the TCU, and motor does not engage. Cycling off/on fixes the problem (thankfully).

3) Once after charging to 100% and reattaching the Rosenberger plug, the power would not come on - TCU did not illuminate. Let it sit and somehow it started working after a few hours.

4) I can't figure out the walk mode. This might be my fault, I haven't really looked at it much.

I've mentioned 1, 2, and 3 to the bikeshop mechanics (THC). They don't seem to motivated to do much about it. 2 and 3 were not reproducible, and 1 is not causing a significant problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    I've had an expert 2019 since Feb with 535 miles so far. Here are my issues:

1) One of the battery charging LED lights does not illuminate. When charging, it does not blink in the 50-75% range. When full charge, only 3 of four lights show up. This has not been a problem for use.

2) Occasionally on a long ride I take a break and turn it off. On four occasions, restarting has resulted in an alternating blue/red LED on the TCU, and motor does not engage. Cycling off/on fixes the problem (thankfully).

3) Once after charging to 100% and reattaching the Rosenberger plug, the power would not come on - TCU did not illuminate. Let it sit and somehow it started working after a few hours.

4) I can't figure out the walk mode. This might be my fault, I haven't really looked at it much.

I've mentioned 1, 2, and 3 to the bikeshop mechanics (THC). They don't seem to motivated to do much about it. 2 and 3 were not reproducible, and 1 is not causing a significant problem.
    This all sounds pretty bad; like a circuit board that went through a misbehaving wave solder machine and is full of intermittent connections or it was made in Germany on Friday afternoon. Since the bike shop won’t help you escalate and go directly to Specialized; they’ll want to get this fixed and have you post a glowing report about your great experience.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My motor just went out at 3400 miles on my 17' Levo. The electric part of the motor was still fine but the gear and belt are slipping. This bike has been ridden hard and put away wet many times. My wife has the same bike and it is at about 1000 miles. I put a fair amount of miles on her bike. My wife doesn't ride in the winter so I kept studded tires mounted on her bike for my use. That way I was always ready to ride anywhere no matter what the weather or where I went. I've noticed that some people reported poor range and performance in the winter on other ebike brands. I didn't have that problem with the Levo. I keep the battery in the car when driving to the trail head during freezing temps. The battery is tucked inside the bike frame and generates heat as does the motor during use and stays warm the entire ride. That is contrary to what you would think from battery usage in the cold.

Anyway I was told that no motors were available by my LBS and I am waiting on the Specialized bike rep to tell me what to do. It is out of warranty. The new Levos have a more skinny 29" tire. I think I like the older 27.5 plus tires better. It's nice to have some extra rubber and volume when you come blasting through a rock garden.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Warp View Post
    My motor just went out at 3400 miles on my 17' Levo.

Anyway I was told that no motors were available by my LBS and I am waiting on the Specialized bike rep to tell me what to do. It is out of warranty.
    Bummer. I hope you get it fixed. Is there a secondary market of those bikes yet? Folks parting out bikes that were killed in action. Maybe you can get a used motor that way.

I assume these are proprietary parts otherwise there would be an aftermarket option for a new motor.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

middle ring single track
    My buddy Larry from Henry W Coe State Park has this to say about his high-mileage Levo:

"I have 5,500 miles on my Levo, all in Coe Park. About a month or so after buying it, I purchased a second battery and always ride with two – two batteries = twice the fun. I really love the bike.

I haven’t kept a detailed maintenance log, but here’s what I recall off the top of my head:

The cable that connects the motor to the battery has been replaced twice. The first time, it was not seating properly on the battery connector. Next time, the connection became intermittent.

The motor failed and was replaced under warranty at about 5,000 miles.

The freehub failed at about 2,500 miles and was replaced with a non-OEM part. Specialized reimbursed my bike shop for time and materials.

I have terrible luck with Rovals, and the Levo has been no exception. After multiple spoke breakages, front and back, I replaced both wheels with DT Swiss rims and more robust spokes.

I’ve replaced all of the wear items, probably more frequently than most. That’s due in part to where I ride, I think, and my size – 6’6” and 230lb

One curious anomaly – the motor sometimes engages without turning the pedals. That can be a little disconcerting, particularly when it happens in a precarious location.

Performance-wise, since I have two batteries, I always run in Turbo mode. When the batteries were new, I would average 10 to 12 miles and around 2,600 feet of climbing per battery. That’s dropped a bit over time. Now, it’s around 9 or 10 miles and perhaps 2,200 feet of elevation. I guess that’s to be expected with the lithium ion batteries.

Someone up above mentioned struggling to get the walk-along feature working. Pro-tip: while pressing the button, roll the bike backwards a foot or two until the pedals engage. They will turn slowly for about two spins and then kick in at about 1.9 miles an hour. This is a real life-saver with such a heavy bike.

My LBS, Bike Therapy in Morgan Hill, CA, has been great, and Specialized has generally been responsive and reasonable."

Specialized Ebike problems-img_3005.jpg

Larry is a fellow member of the park's Mountain Bike Patrol.

PS; he just messaged me that he broke a seat rail this afternoon and is heading to the bike shop as I write this.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Bummer. I hope you get it fixed. Is there a secondary market of those bikes yet? Folks parting out bikes that were killed in action. Maybe you can get a used motor that way.

I assume these are proprietary parts otherwise there would be an aftermarket option for a new motor.
    I would assume that when it they say no motor is available they are talking about the original motor. Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure it is mandatory to update to the newer motor.

I've only had one broken spoke but that could happen to any bike and the replacement took mere minutes to install. I've beat the hell out of my Roval rims and I think they are satisfactory. I also perform maintenance on the hubs, which if not done, can cause problems on any bike. 6'6 and 230 pounds? Sounds like that Levo is quite the bike to hold up to that kind of beating at over 5000 miles.

I looked up my elevation gain on my 3400 mile motor failure and it was around 320,000 ft. The electrical part of the motor is sound, my failure was one of the plastic gears or belt. Completely satisfied with the bike sans problems with Avid. Even the dropper post has held up great despite massive usage and no maintenance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I looked up my elevation gain on my 3400 mile motor failure and it was around 320,000 ft.

loopy counter
    Larry is an outlier, don’t ya think? Recently I was way out there, hadn’t seen a sole in 6 hours, and Larry zips up, says hi. A second later he was gone in a flash. He’s putting down the benchmark limits for bike reliability and should be on Specialized payroll.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    Larry is an outlier, don’t ya think? Recently I was way out there, hadn’t seen a sole in 6 hours, and Larry zips up, says hi. A second later he was gone in a flash. He’s putting down the benchmark limits for bike reliability and should be on Specialized payroll.
    Larry probably had 2 soles that day; I'm not sure about his soul. The Coe Mountain Bike Patrol has had more than it's share of outliers.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

e=mtb2
    Giant Warp - you can just put a 2018 motor in your ‘17 Levo. It has slightly better performance and comes with the nice handlebar remote. They are available, and your lbs should be able to get one for $650 as a “crash replacement “.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post
    Giant Warp - you can just put a 2018 motor in your ‘17 Levo. It has slightly better performance and comes with the nice handlebar remote. They are available, and your lbs should be able to get one for $650 as a “crash replacement “.
    Ok, I am still waiting on the Specialized rep to contact my LBS. In the meantime I've been riding my wife's Levo and the battery suddenly lost range. At four power bars it starts beeping and shutting off. The LBS said no warranty. I wonder if I should call Specialized and see what's up. My LBS wants $1000 for a new battery.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Specialized is sending a new motor free of charge to replace my 1st gen motor that is out of warranty. That is great!

mtbr member
    Specialized is sending a new motor free of charge to replace my 1st gen motor that is out of warranty. That is great!
    Congrats on getting it resolved in your favour.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I had one of the first LEVO's when they came to america, so, that was a 2016 model? maybe 2017.
    I sold it last year, it probably had 100+ hours on it....hammered it actually, not one issue with the frame, battery, motor.
    I got a Focus Jam2 after that, because I wanted longer range, but I did not like the geo on the focus as much as the Levo, and the Focus linkage was not as sweet as FSR link.
    I had a long term demo of a 2019 levo expert, and preordered a YT DECOY, but after a month on this new levo-i've decided to order one-will be here next week.
    The new BROSE motor is smooth, quiet, powerful and the RANGE.
    SHimano motor feel was nice, reliable, but man is it loud.

So, 2019 Levo Expert owner soon, couldnt be more stoked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Great. Can you confirm that the 19' Levo motor is as quiet as the first Levos. My LBS was trying to tell me that the new bike motors were a little more noisy do to a change in the mounting. Not a deal breaker but stealth is everything. LOL.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Great. Can you confirm that the 19' Levo motor is as quiet as the first Levos. My LBS was trying to tell me that the new bike motors were a little more noisy do to a change in the mounting. Not a deal breaker but stealth is everything. LOL.
    It's probably the main reason I am buying one, the loaner I have been on has a lot of pro's, very few cons, if any, but the main one is that motor is soo smooth and SO QUIET. I do some riding where class 1 is not permitted, which is ridiculous, but, when I power down to eco and pass people, I want to be quiet and the other motors didnt let me do that. I read some of the first shipment 2019's had some noisy motors? but none are as noisy as the shimano, which is a shame, because that motor power delivery is fantastic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by stiksandstones View Post
    It's probably the main reason I am buying one, the loaner I have been on has a lot of pro's, very few cons, if any, but the main one is that motor is soo smooth and SO QUIET. I do some riding where class 1 is not permitted, which is ridiculous, but, when I power down to eco and pass people, I want to be quiet and the other motors didnt let me do that. I read some of the first shipment 2019's had some noisy motors? but none are as noisy as the shimano, which is a shame, because that motor power delivery is fantastic.
    Noise is an important factor for me.
    Can you please list them from most quiet, well the recent let s say 2017 or more recent. I read the Shimano 7000 makes less noise than the 8000. The problem is many reviewers simply hide some facts and it is not that easy to demo all brands. I am only considering main brands like Bosh, Brose, Yamaha and Shimano. To me Specialized is investing big $$ on marketing and the price is just not justified by the product. Thanks.