Santa Cruz ebike- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 84 of 84
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    699

    Santa Cruz ebike

    Danny on an unidentified Santa Cruz with upper shock mount, little motor and a smaller battery/downtube?? I guess it was only a matter of time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz ebike-cruz-ebike.jpeg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,934
    Thats a 5010

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Thats a 5010
    Nope

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RickBullottaPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    469
    Not likely an eBike. High mount shock with curved rear triangle = 5010. No display unit on handlebars either (which 99% of eMTBs have).

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,934
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger View Post
    Nope
    This has been talked about at nausium in other forums.

    How are you so sure its an ebike?

    It would be a tiny battery and a tiny motor if its an ebike.

  6. #6
    bike tester
    Reputation: syl3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,273
    doesnt look like an ebike to me, the thing around the bb looks like some kind of eccentric arrangement that varies pivot locations

  7. #7
    Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Reputation: Zerort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,338
    Probably the Fazua system. Battery and motor in one unit. Much like the Lapierre.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

  8. #8
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,831
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger View Post
    Nope
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    doesnt look like an ebike to me, the thing around the bb looks like some kind of eccentric arrangement that varies pivot locations
    Lol. It's a regular everyday 5010. You're seeing the shape of the area that houses the lower pivot and the silhouette of Danny's bashguard behind it. All blended together in a shadowy blob thanks to a photographer still using a nokia from 2005. Here's my santa cruz "e bike" -
    Santa Cruz ebike-img_20200123_205013.jpg

  9. #9
    Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Reputation: Zerort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,338
    Dude, you ebike has a Honda motor? Didn't know they made those. Sweet!
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHROMAG19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    623
    Ibis is making a e bike.

  11. #11
    E-Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    786
    I hear from good sources Santa Cruz definitely has an ebike coming out soon.

    Also a good friend recently saw on our local trails a prototype Yeti ebike!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,784
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    doesnt look like an ebike to me, the thing around the bb looks like some kind of eccentric arrangement that varies pivot locations
    Nope, that is definitely a motor casing, it has too much width and the width is consistent from to back and bottom to top.

    Good to see Santa Cruz going with a smaller motor/battery set up, thatíll certainly help them carve out a niche.
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Nope, that is definitely a motor casing, it has too much width and the width is consistent from to back and bottom to top.

    Good to see Santa Cruz going with a smaller motor/battery set up, thatíll certainly help them carve out a niche.
    Steps motor
    504wh battery
    Carbon only
    7g or 8g
    Sram everything except the motor

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    328
    It's only a couple pounds lighter then specialized with a much smaller battery.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stevenfallover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    128
    Yeti! That would be amazing. That will piss off a lot of people.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    I hear from good sources Santa Cruz definitely has an ebike coming out soon.

    Also a good friend recently saw on our local trails a prototype Yeti ebike!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Nope, that is definitely a motor casing, it has too much width and the width is consistent from to back and bottom to top.

    Good to see Santa Cruz going with a smaller motor/battery set up, thatíll certainly help them carve out a niche.
    Care to tell everyone how there's a motor shoved into the space where the forward pivot for the lower link is? Because that pivot is still in the same place on Danny's "e bike" as it is on every other 5010 v3.
    Santa cruz might be making an e bike. But that ain't it. Unless you're a complete moron.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    I hear from good sources Santa Cruz definitely has an ebike coming out soon.

    Also a good friend recently saw on our local trails a prototype Yeti ebike!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How soon? Man every time I'm about to pull the trigger on a bike I hear of something else coming out!!! lol

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,934
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Care to tell everyone how there's a motor shoved into the space where the forward pivot for the lower link is? Because that pivot is still in the same place on Danny's "e bike" as it is on every other 5010 v3.
    Santa cruz might be making an e bike. But that ain't it. Unless you're a complete moron.
    I agree 100%

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Care to tell everyone how there's a motor shoved into the space where the forward pivot for the lower link is? Because that pivot is still in the same place on Danny's "e bike" as it is on every other 5010 v3.
    Santa cruz might be making an e bike. But that ain't it. Unless you're a complete moron.
    Maybe that's because it's a single pivot.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,784
    Easy, because it is. How they did it will be obvious to a moron when they release the details.

    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Care to tell everyone how there's a motor shoved into the space where the forward pivot for the lower link is? Because that pivot is still in the same place on Danny's "e bike" as it is on every other 5010 v3.
    Santa cruz might be making an e bike. But that ain't it. Unless you're a complete moron.
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,106
    My humble...if your battery isn't 700 or there abouts...waste of money. Just my $.02 based on riding with people with smaller batteries that almost always have to bail very early on regular rides or run out completely. Range is where it's at!
    I'm not sure how this works.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Ibis is making a e bike.
    I hope so. That and Mojo 4 - 27.5. Take my money for 2 new bikes.

  23. #23
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Easy, because it is. How they did it will be obvious to a moron when they release the details.
    They just melted it down into a molten form, poured it into the frame and it regenerated itself into a motor. Got it.
    At this point I can't tell sarcasm from idiocy in this thread but it's funny either way. Carry on...

  24. #24
    kneecap
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,635
    wow, so people with opinions here are either morons or idiots. you wake up on wrong side of the bed?

  25. #25
    Trail Rider
    Reputation: mlx john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap View Post
    wow, so people with opinions here are either morons or idiots. you wake up on wrong side of the bed?
    About a bike that may or may not exist.
    2020 Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon

  26. #26
    E-Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    About a bike that may or may not exist.
    Oh the bike exists! It may not be the one in this thread, but it definitely out there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    how much battery does it have? will it be 27 or 29?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RickBullottaPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Garru View Post
    how much battery does it have? will it be 27 or 29?
    No battery, solar powered. It will have 24 inch wheels.

  29. #29
    Trail Rider
    Reputation: mlx john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,156
    bamboo frame.
    2020 Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon

  30. #30
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,831
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap View Post
    wow, so people with opinions here are either morons or idiots. you wake up on wrong side of the bed?
    Saying a 5010 frame is an e bike is not an opinion, it's a hallucination.
    I don't wake up on any side of the bed, I levitate when I sleep.

  31. #31
    chasing simplicity
    Reputation: MattMay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,189
    The ebike thread in Santa Fruz forum has more 411
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,934
    Looks like this bike to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGj8Q0wdYak

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,784
    Same thing, different day, pulling chains and pushing buttons, never has it mattered what any of us think, but try telling that to a sports fan 🙄

    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    They just melted it down into a molten form, poured it into the frame and it regenerated itself into a motor. Got it.
    At this point I can't tell sarcasm from idiocy in this thread but it's funny either way. Carry on...
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

  34. #34
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Easy, because it is. How they did it will be obvious to a moron when they release the details.
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    Maybe that's because it's a single pivot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Nope, that is definitely a motor casing, it has too much width and the width is consistent from to back and bottom to top.

    Good to see Santa Cruz going with a smaller motor/battery set up, thatíll certainly help them carve out a niche.
    Good job detectives. Good thing you're not analyzing drone shots for signs of nukes in Iran and north Korea
    Santa Cruz ebike-img-20200205-wa0004.jpg

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    256
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200205-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	1309877[/QUOTE]

    Hope this is just a bad picture because I think it looks ugly.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Good job detectives. Good thing you're not analyzing drone shots for signs of nukes in Iran and north Korea
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200205-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	1309877
    Judging by your posts you must be 12 or 13yrs old.

    There is now a Santa Cruz ebike...that is all.

  37. #37
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,831
    Quote Originally Posted by cblesius View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200205-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	1309877
    Hope this is just a bad picture because I think it looks ugly.[/QUOTE]

    Well, it's their current suspension design. More than a few people have said the low shock doesn't look as good as the high mount.
    But the weird things are the fork and the post. Fork looks like massive travel and that post looks like 600mm.

  38. #38
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,831
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    Judging by your posts you must be 12 or 13yrs old.
    In my heart I am. But what my wife taught me was to not be so scared to admit when you're wrong. Now I do it all the time. Makes her so happy. You should try it.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHROMAG19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    623
    Gonna be named Heckler

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    256
    Well, it's their current suspension design. More than a few people have said the low shock doesn't look as good as the high mount.
    But the weird things are the fork and the post. Fork looks like massive travel and that post looks like 600mm.[/QUOTE]

    Haha they are just using that post to build it. Usually dropper posts are installed last and shops have long seat post to use while building so that they can get it in the stand easier. Fork is probably a weird angle.

  41. #41
    My other bike is a GasGas
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    124
    This thread was painful to read.

  42. #42
    E-Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Good job detectives. Good thing you're not analyzing drone shots for signs of nukes in Iran and north Korea
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200205-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	1309877
    Looks just like their current crop of bikes. I can tell it's using an internal battery, so hopefully it's at least 630wh and wishing for 700wh. Considering they are late to the game, I bet they did their homework!

  43. #43
    Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Reputation: Zerort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    Looks just like their current crop of bikes. I can tell it's using an internal battery, so hopefully it's at least 630wh and wishing for 700wh. Considering they are late to the game, I bet they did their homework!
    If that's a shimano motor its 504wh, unless they are using an aftermarket battery like Norco does.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RickBullottaPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    Looks just like their current crop of bikes. I can tell it's using an internal battery, so hopefully it's at least 630wh and wishing for 700wh. Considering they are late to the game, I bet they did their homework!
    Rumor is 1.21 jigawatts.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    Looks just like their current crop of bikes. I can tell it's using an internal battery, so hopefully it's at least 630wh and wishing for 700wh. Considering they are late to the game, I bet they did their homework!
    Unfortunately these bikes are designed years in advance. Well at least the frames are. When they were designing this the Pivot Shuttle was probably the most impressive bike out there and what they were planning on competing with.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by figofspee View Post
    Steps motor
    504wh battery
    Carbon only
    7g or 8g
    Sram everything except the motor
    Nothing stands out from the competition here. Shimano needs a bigger battery that fits the same space, or this bike isn't going to be much of a seller.

  47. #47
    Trail Rider
    Reputation: mlx john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,156
    Yes, 1.21 gigawatts and the motor has a magnesium flux capacitor.
    2020 Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    132
    Out now on the site. Heckler. Overpriced and a 2 year old specification on the motor and battery. Did they copy the 2017 Pivot Shuttle? Did they notice the sub-$5k YT models or the 700 battery and Brose motors in the Levo. Youíd have to be a real SC fan to get one.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    699

  50. #50
    Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Reputation: Zerort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,338
    Exactly. No innovation there.

    And 27.5 tires. People still ride those?

    Even YT moved to 29 this year for 1/2 the price.

    Nice work Santa Cruz.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

  51. #51
    Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    160

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    610
    It feels like such a half-hearted attempt, and it's shocking that they released so close to the new Levo SL. Specialized: embracing e-bikes. Santa Cruz to parent company: "Do we have to? OK fine, whatever. Here's something."

  53. #53
    bike tester
    Reputation: syl3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    Santa Cruz to parent company: "Do we have to? OK fine, whatever. Here's something."
    Seriously this feels like sabotage or something

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,827
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say SC and several other manufacturers are waiting for the long rumored Shimano E9000 system, but just have to have a bike out this year. Once a manufacturer goes with a motor system, they tend to stay with it Trek had a "lost year" because the Bosch Gen 4 didn't arrive when expected. I'm guessing this will be a one year deal.

  55. #55
    My other bike is a GasGas
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    124
    Donít like the Shimano E8000?

    What would you rather have?
    Brose ? Smooth but so many returned motors.
    Bosch CX ? I really didnít take to it.

    My favorite motor is the Rocky Mountain Power Play, but the price point wasnít where I wanted and the only dealer in Phoenix (5th largest city in the US) was a 2.5 hour round trip.

    The E8000 is a sensible, functional, tho boring choice. I can imagine the Santa Cruz design team debating it, two years ago.

    The battery, while unsuitable for ďEpicĒ long rides suits my my numb-butt-at-14-miles (extending to 22-miles) routine.

    27.5 vs 29er ? Iíve owned only 29ers over the last ten years, but every time I hop on a 27.5er, plus or otherwise, I have a lot of fun.

    E9000 ? I overheard a conversation with a Shimano Rep who said the EP8/9000 wouldnít be available until October 2020, for the 2021 model year. Hopefully it will be 48V and swappable (with better bearings).

    In the end it is a well-sorted Santa Cruz product with lifetime warranty.

    Spendy? Yes. Iíd be looking for a discount.

    I also heard that a lower cost version is planned for next year.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
    Donít like the Shimano E8000?

    What would you rather have?
    Brose ? Smooth but so many returned motors.
    Bosch CX ? I really didnít take to it.

    My favorite motor is the Rocky Mountain Power Play, but the price point wasnít where I wanted and the only dealer in Phoenix (5th largest city in the US) was a 2.5 hour round trip.

    The E8000 is a sensible, functional, tho boring choice. I can imagine the Santa Cruz design team debating it, two years ago.

    The battery, while unsuitable for ďEpicĒ long rides suits my my numb-butt-at-14-miles (extending to 22-miles) routine.

    27.5 vs 29er ? Iíve owned only 29ers over the last ten years, but every time I hop on a 27.5er, plus or otherwise, I have a lot of fun.

    E9000 ? I overheard a conversation with a Shimano Rep who said the EP8/9000 wouldnít be available until October 2020, for the 2021 model year. Hopefully it will be 48V and swappable (with better bearings).

    In the end it is a well-sorted Santa Cruz product with lifetime warranty.

    Spendy? Yes. Iíd be looking for a discount.

    I also heard that a lower cost version is planned for next year.
    At this point in time, the Bosch Gen4 system is superior to E8000. I've ridden all major motor/battery systems, I've owned E8000 and Bosch, and the "feel" just isn't as natural with E8000 as it is with Bosch eMTB mode, or Brose. As I said, I'm sure SC would rather have E9000 or whatever it is going to be, because the Shimano system has its issues with ride feel, battery mounting, etc. Also, the Bluetooth connectivity with E8000 is very limited. They'll switch to E9000 next year, assuming it is actually available, and these bikes with E8000 will be one year models. I wouldn't be surprised if SC and most other Shimano companies will offer an E9000 and a lower cost E7000 model next year, as a few companies are already doing with E8000/E7000.

    The ebike motor system market is red hot. Shimano was late to the game, and E8000 is definitely a good first effort but exceeded immediately by Bosch and Brose, and arguably Yamaha and a few other niche brands at this point.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,784
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Care to tell everyone how there's a motor shoved into the space where the forward pivot for the lower link is? Because that pivot is still in the same place on Danny's "e bike" as it is on every other 5010 v3.
    Santa cruz might be making an e bike. But that ain't it. Unless you're a complete moron.
    Read it and weep dude.

    For future reference, it's not nice to call people names, especially when you are WRONG.

    Have a nice day
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RickBullottaPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Read it and weep dude.

    For future reference, it's not nice to call people names, especially when you are WRONG.

    Have a nice day
    Not sure what you're saying here. The pic at the top of this thread is NOT the new Heckler. The suspension design is totally different on the Heckler. The pic at the top is a 5010.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Read it and weep dude.

    For future reference, it's not nice to call people names, especially when you are WRONG.

    Have a nice day
    Ummm. You were wrong not him. That is not an ebike that Danny Macaskill is on. The shock is in a completely different spot.

  60. #60
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Read it and weep dude.

    For future reference, it's not nice to call people names, especially when you are WRONG.

    Have a nice day
    The Heckler (the new e-bike) and the bike you are referencing are very different.

    He was right, you were wrong.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  61. #61
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by akaktm View Post
    Out now on the site. Heckler. Overpriced and a 2 year old specification on the motor and battery. Did they copy the 2017 Pivot Shuttle? Did they notice the sub-$5k YT models or the 700 battery and Brose motors in the Levo. Youíd have to be a real SC fan to get one.
    SC has a formula and they're sticking to it.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    52
    It's very difficult to evaluate the different motor systems against each other unless time has been spent learning the app's, all the settings and benefits of each system. The variable are too great.

    It's similar to when someone who is interested in the range and amount of climbing I get from mine. My answer will most likely not cross over to what the other person finds. OR, when riding with another e-mtb rider and they ask when climbing what mode are you in. Where I set my eco mode is most likely different than where yours is. It requires a longer form of discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    At this point in time, the Bosch Gen4 system is superior to E8000. I've ridden all major motor/battery systems, I've owned E8000 and Bosch, and the "feel" just isn't as natural with E8000 as it is with Bosch eMTB mode, or Brose. As I said, I'm sure SC would rather have E9000 or whatever it is going to be, because the Shimano system has its issues with ride feel, battery mounting, etc. Also, the Bluetooth connectivity with E8000 is very limited. They'll switch to E9000 next year, assuming it is actually available, and these bikes with E8000 will be one year models. I wouldn't be surprised if SC and most other Shimano companies will offer an E9000 and a lower cost E7000 model next year, as a few companies are already doing with E8000/E7000.

    The ebike motor system market is red hot. Shimano was late to the game, and E8000 is definitely a good first effort but exceeded immediately by Bosch and Brose, and arguably Yamaha and a few other niche brands at this point.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,784
    Wahahaha, as if I really care, Iím just giving him shit cuz he was calling names.

    I could honestly care less about right or wrong, itís just a bike, it ainít gonna solve the human condition or eradicate stupidity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    The Heckler (the new e-bike) and the bike you are referencing are very different.

    He was right, you were wrong.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wls4ever View Post
    It's very difficult to evaluate the different motor systems against each other unless time has been spent learning the app's, all the settings and benefits of each system. The variable are too great.

    It's similar to when someone who is interested in the range and amount of climbing I get from mine. My answer will most likely not cross over to what the other person finds. OR, when riding with another e-mtb rider and they ask when climbing what mode are you in. Where I set my eco mode is most likely different than where yours is. It requires a longer form of discussion
    There is almost nothing to learn about the E8000. The app does nothing more than install firmware updates and allow you to set the amount of power you get in each mode. You can't even get E8000 to talk to a Garmin or a phone as a dashboard without an extra $120 dongle and even that doesn't work well, I'm told.

    It isn't the amount of power, it is the feel of E8000 that is the issue. It feels too artificial, and it is too slow to respond, then it trails the power when you let off. Bosch is perfect in this regard. If you roll up to an obstacle that you want to wheelie over, you don't even think about it with Bosch, it feels just like you are doing it on your own, but with more powerful legs. With E8000, you have to re-learn, because it doesn't respond as quickly or as linearly, it hesitates for a split second, then gives you too much boost. When you let off the pedal, you still get a little trailing surge out of the E8000, the Bosch quits instantly.

    My E8000 bike is a much better bike than my Bosch Gen 3, but there is no doubt the motor/sensor system of the Bosch is far better. Let's hope Shimano improves with the next generation. In the meantime, I wouldn't buy a 2020 bike with E8000, just like I didn't buy a 2019 bike with Bosch Gen 3. Things are progressing too rapidly to get stuck with last year's model on a $7-10,000 bike.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,314
    Saw one at my LBS yesterday for $8200. For me, too much of a behemoth to even test ride. SC seems to be market-savvy, but may have taken a step backwards here.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    There is almost nothing to learn about the E8000. The app does nothing more than install firmware updates and allow you to set the amount of power you get in each mode. You can't even get E8000 to talk to a Garmin or a phone as a dashboard without an extra $120 dongle and even that doesn't work well, I'm told.

    It isn't the amount of power, it is the feel of E8000 that is the issue. It feels too artificial, and it is too slow to respond, then it trails the power when you let off. Bosch is perfect in this regard. If you roll up to an obstacle that you want to wheelie over, you don't even think about it with Bosch, it feels just like you are doing it on your own, but with more powerful legs. With E8000, you have to re-learn, because it doesn't respond as quickly or as linearly, it hesitates for a split second, then gives you too much boost. When you let off the pedal, you still get a little trailing surge out of the E8000, the Bosch quits instantly.

    My E8000 bike is a much better bike than my Bosch Gen 3, but there is no doubt the motor/sensor system of the Bosch is far better. Let's hope Shimano improves with the next generation. In the meantime, I wouldn't buy a 2020 bike with E8000, just like I didn't buy a 2019 bike with Bosch Gen 3. Things are progressing too rapidly to get stuck with last year's model on a $7-10,000 bike.
    My E8000 feels nothing like you describe.. it feel natural and intuitive.. no trailing power, no surge... maybe the latest firmware fixes issues you had in past? I love the power on it so far.... this is on a yt decoy.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,566
    There are several much better options out there this year. Trek Rail, Yt Decoy, Specialized levo, Cannondale Monterra. Or give it another season of two as ebikes become more refined and battery technology develops, that where the sweet spot will be. Lighter and longer charges between rides.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RickBullottaPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by fos'l View Post
    Saw one at my LBS yesterday for $8200. For me, too much of a behemoth to even test ride. SC seems to be market-savvy, but may have taken a step backwards here.
    Please elaborate on "too much of a behemoth to even test ride...". It's actually a fairly light eMTB for an E8000 bike with a 500+ Wh battery. Geometry is quite normal too.

  69. #69
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,522
    E7000 feels even more natural, as its torque is a bit lower. Boost and trail is too strong on the E8000 to a rider used to pedaling unassisted. The bike gets away from me, when I first tried. Eco feels very much like a mountain bike, but with more power; I'd get accidental KOMs on long climbs in eco when combined with my own fitness, if I were tracking it like a normal ride. It just doesn't give the ebike experience one might expect, and with other power settings available at your fingertip, one might be compelled to make use of that stored power in the battery more liberally.

    Not surprised that the look, price, and weight turn people off. It takes some time to build up the strength to lift it onto racks and over gates, not to mention it's difficult to push up climbs that aren't easily climbed, finding it hard to find traction on foot. I figure that the motor assist package should add like 1250 to the price, compared to a similarly equipped non-assist bike, but I guess the Trump tariffs are playing a role here (in other cases, spec levels dropped for any given price point).
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    You can't even get E8000 to talk to a Garmin or a phone as a dashboard without an extra $120 dongle and even that doesn't work well, I'm told.
    My edge 830 connects to the e8000 on my di2 jam2 - I have the battery level and gear fields displayed.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RickBullottaPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkiedog View Post
    My edge 830 connects to the e8000 on my di2 jam2 - I have the battery level and gear fields displayed.
    No boost percentage, boost mode, or other useful stats though.

    You can plug in the E7000 display (only thing you lose is color boost indication) and get all the data.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by RickBullottaPA View Post
    Please elaborate on "too much of a behemoth to even test ride...". It's actually a fairly light eMTB for an E8000 bike with a 500+ Wh battery. Geometry is quite normal too.
    I've ridden 50 - 60 pound FS eMTB's and am not interested. For me, off road they don't handle steep downhills well, and are difficult to transport. SC has had enough time to come up with outstanding, not "me too", features. Just my opinion.

    Should mention that my SC Superlight will be 15 years old in July and has been ridden at least twice a week during that time, so 1500+ rides, 20K+ miles, and never changed a bushing, so I'm a big fan.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RickBullottaPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by fos'l View Post
    I've ridden 50 - 60 pound FS eMTB's and am not interested. For me, off road they don't handle steep downhills well, and are difficult to transport. SC has had enough time to come up with outstanding, not "me too", features. Just my opinion.
    Got it. A few tweaks and the Heckler can be slimmed down to 45 pounds. My 45 pound Shuttle kicks ass on steep downhills, FWIW.

  74. #74
    My other bike is a GasGas
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    124
    Just did a rocky 13-miles on an ancient volcano in north Phoenix.

    Motor, frame and components exceeded my expectations.

  75. #75
    Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Reputation: Zerort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,338
    Motor is the same as every other Shimano ebike.
    Components are the same as any other bike.

    So you liked the frame? Nice
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

  76. #76
    My other bike is a GasGas
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    124
    I liked the whole package.

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tom tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Motor is the same as every other Shimano ebike.
    Components are the same as any other bike.

    So you liked the frame? Nice
    Yes very nice frame!!
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RickBullottaPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Motor is the same as every other Shimano ebike.
    Components are the same as any other bike.

    So you liked the frame? Nice
    If you also consider motor placement and battery placement as part of the "frame", then yes, the frame is the primary differentiating factor. Also, there is some level of mix-and-match with the peripherals (which shifter and mode switch, which display) that can add or detract from the experience. I like that SC went with the E7000 switch, for example. Small detail, but a good one.

  79. #79
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,522
    Quote Originally Posted by fos'l View Post
    I've ridden 50 - 60 pound FS eMTB's and am not interested. For me, off road they don't handle steep downhills well, and are difficult to transport.
    Me and my buddies love riding our various Decoys, Levo's, Keneevo's on double black diamond trails: 10 foot drops, 20+ foot doubles, 5 story vertical chutes, etc. No one seems to complain about the handling characteristics of these things. That includes my 5'2", 120 pounds g/f with her 50lb 150mm trail e-bike. She even got the bike out of her car on her own yesterday. 🤷*♂️.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    52
    The Shimano system allows for modern geometry choices. For example shorter chain stay length.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tom tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    404
    The one I demoed today was the best experience of my life........
    Last edited by tom tom; 03-21-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

  82. #82
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,821
    Quote Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
    The one I demoed today, had a whining noise from the motor that was louder than my first wife, and she was loud.........
    Lol. Either of them fun to ride?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  83. #83
    IPA tester
    Reputation: Dirtrider127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Lol. Either of them fun to ride?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

    -Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

  84. #84
    My other bike is a GasGas
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    124
    Yesterday we had another flawless night ride in the Phoenix desert. Nine eBykes and three fast comp riders.

    We swapped bikes. I got to ride a Spesh Levo SL. Felt nice. Folks thought my eBronson was dandy.

Similar Threads

  1. Ebike discussions belong on Ebike forum
    By ki5ka in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2019, 10:08 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-17-2019, 04:36 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 02:04 PM
  4. Santa Cruz Blur Classic vs Santa Cruz Blur XC
    By KingJester68 in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Members who have read this thread: 359

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.