Hey everyone.

2018 DB Mason 2

Luna Bbshd (1500 w, program) (68mm)
    Luna DPC 18 display
    Luna full twist throttle blue
    Gear sensor
    2x brake sensors

TRIANGLE 52v Panasonic GA 18650 24ah
    Fits perfectly in triangle bag within the frame.
    Added some gun safe padding on the bottom and back side of bag.

So far no struggles. Frame is for 68mm size bbshd, used 2 3mm spacers. Only thing is that there is no space for black lock nut. No biggie, enough space w/a little room left for the main gray lock nut. Threw some locktite, its secure. Had to stick with the stock chain ring with the 19mm offset it fit perfect w/ less then a couple mm away from frame. Ordered the eclipse bling ring 42t from luna before I recieved the kit. Wish I could use that, looks awesome. Stock chain ring gave me the perfect chain line for the bike... go figure. Hopefully soon I can find one with similar offset of 19mm that has 36t or 42t, 46t is bit much for what I'm using it for, want more torque.

Hopefully I'll finish today, but having a 7m and 2y boys, who knows lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ChrisJTX; 09-14-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    FWIW, your bike is basically illegal everywhere but a moto trail.

-Walt

mtbr member
    But it has pedals, and looks just like an analog bike...
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Iíve installed and ridden a number of bbshd bikes and they are not suitable as mtbís imnsho. The cadence sensing PAS is not conducive to riding tech unless you just use the throttle and what fun is that. Going to be a heavy bike also as shown. Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Looks fun! I should have tried a conversion like this for my town bike
    I'm most at home while riding rocks
    mtbphd.com

brakepowermeter.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel View Post
    Iíve installed and ridden a number of bbshd bikes and they are not suitable as mtbís imnsho. The cadence sensing PAS is not conducive to riding tech unless you just use the throttle and what fun is that. Going to be a heavy bike also as shown. Good luck
    DITTO! The Bafang BBS02B 750W 48V is a much better choice for bicycle feel. Check the riding laws in your local. Enjoy.
    eSurly ECR SA-5spd IGH (BBS02B)
    Niner Jet 9 Alloy 1X Sunrace 11-50T
    Soma B-Side Belt-Drive SA-3spd IGH

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJTX View Post
    Hey everyone.

2018 DB Mason 2

Luna Bbshd (1500 w, program) (68mm)
    Luna DPC 18 display
    Luna full twist throttle blue
    Gear sensor
    2x brake sensors

TRIANGLE 52v Panasonic GA 18650 24ah
    Fits perfectly in triangle bag within the frame.
    Added some gun safe padding on the bottom and back side of bag.

So far no struggles. Frame is for 68mm size bbshd, used 2 3mm spacers. Only thing is that there is no space for black lock nut. No biggie, enough space w/a little room left for the main gray lock nut. Threw some locktite, its secure. Had to stick with the stock chain ring with the 19mm spacing it fit perfect w/ less then a couple mm away from frame. Ordered the eclipse bling ring 42t from luna before I recieved the kit. Wish I could use that, looks awesome. Stock chain ring gave me the perfect chain line for the bike... go figure. Hopefully soon I can find one with similar offset of 19mm that has 36t or 42t, 46t is bit much for what I'm using it for, want more torque.

Hopefully I'll finish today, but having a 7m and 2y boys, who knows lol.

I give you a big 👍 for building that sucker right in your house on your carpet! Reminds me of my younger days. Enjoy your bike and please ride legal. You are a steward for mtbs and emtbs even though they are different.
    ďAs a top contributor to the Sierra Club, I can honestly say, the next time you wipe, thank a logger.Ē

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    I give you a big for building that sucker right in your house on your carpet! Reminds me of my younger days. Enjoy your bike and please ride legal. You are a steward for mtbs and emtbs even though they are different.
    Lol thanks man. Yeah it's my wife's office/craft room. Carpets already ruined a bit, but surprisingly less of a mess then I thought with the install.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiptastic View Post
    DITTO! The Bafang BBS02B 750W 48V is a much better choice for bicycle feel. Check the riding laws in your local. Enjoy.
    I thought about that option, but this build is for fun and hauling the kids on the trailer. I gotta another rig just for the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_phd View Post
    Looks fun! I should have tried a conversion like this for my town bike
    You should man. Tested it out the other day, and it was a blast. With the knobbies hit about over 30mph. Thinking about putting some nice 2.8 road/hybrid wheels. Bet I can get that sucker up to 35 on road lmao.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    FWIW, your bike is basically illegal everywhere but a moto trail.

-Walt
    Yeah probably is for the trails in Houston, but I need to check. Gotta another rig I use for the mtb trails. But if I'm allowed it will be a blast to ride it on the trails.

mtbr member
    Some updated pics, before the intial test run. Brake sensor was PIA. Structure of the sram brake handles made it hard to properly align the sensor and magnet. Used epoxy glue for the magnets and sensor, also added zip ties to the sensor. Might upgrade to the ebrake tektro makes for a cleaner look. Never used so many zip ties in my life..lmao. not bad for a first ebike build.

mtbr member
    Trust me, it's fun w/throttle only. Had to give up my motorcycles when I had kids. This is the next best thing w/out the wife giving you the evil eye, lol. As for cadence, I ordered a programming cable for it. From what I have found so far, you can adjust a lot of parameters for the motor, including cadence. The hard part is finding the sweet spot, as there is a learning curve to programming it.

Moderator Moderator
    Yeah probably is for the trails in Houston, but I need to check. Gotta another rig I use for the mtb trails. But if I'm allowed it will be a blast to ride it on the trails.

Dude, at 1500W it's illegal on the *roads* and bike paths too. It's pretty much only legal on OHV trails.

I mean, you probably won't get pulled over riding in the bike lane. But it's definitely not a legal vehicle basically anywhere.

-Walt

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Dude, at 1500W it's illegal on the *roads* and bike paths too. It's pretty much only legal on OHV trails.

I mean, you probably won't get pulled over riding in the bike lane. But it's definitely not a legal vehicle basically anywhere.

-Walt
    The thing is that no one cares and even if they did, they wouldnít know how to tell and this includes the police or any other authority. I regularly see high powered ebikes like the stealth ebikes being ridden around town on the road.

Itís time to admit that: the amount of power an ebike has is completely irrelevant as long as it still looks like a bicycle.

The below article brings up a good point about having a 750w motor supplied with enogh power to bring it up to 2500w. One could argue thatís legal since it only has a 750 watt motor* For example in Europe the law is 250w, yet their ebikes run well over that like the levo at 500w or 700w or whatever it is now. If itís 750w in the US, then bikes could run 1500w to 2500w with a 750w rated motor and no one would be the wiser except for us dorks on this forum.

https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/0...ignore-ebikes/
    ďAnother issue is that if a policeman pulls you over they have to know the citation to actually write you a ticket for breaking that particular law. I would bet that most police have no idea what law prevents people from using ebikes or how to tell the difference between a street legal and not street legal ebike. I got several of the first batch of 1000W BBSHDís which have 750W stamped on the bottom. The street legal maximum for ebikes is 750 Watts and I carry around a copy of HR 727 so I can educate any cop that tries to harass me. Am I being entirely honest since Iím running a 60 amp controller that puts over 2500 watts through the drive train? I donít have to tell the cop about my Ludicrous controller, just show him the stamped 750W on the casing of the motor. Am I a horrible person? I would say yes.Ē

*his is actually 1000w, but stamped 750, but same could be done with a true 750w rated motor.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The cadence sensing PAS is not conducive to riding tech unless you just use the throttle and what fun is that
    Like all the fun. Here is an indisputable fact for you: throttle = fun

Seriously, why would you not want to have a throttle on your ebike? You donít have to use it if you want to pedal, but why would you deny yourself the fun factor and practicality of a throttle?

An ebike without a throttle is like choosing to ride an old rigid bike from the 90ís over a really difficult and chunky trail. Ya, you can do it, but it would be a hell of a lot more fun and enjoyable on a modern full squish and at the end of the day fun wins.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebeau View Post

Seriously, why would you not want to have a throttle on your ebike? You donít have to use it if you want to pedal, but why would you deny yourself the fun factor and practicality of a throttle?

An ebike without a throttle is like choosing to ride an old rigid bike from the 90ís over a really difficult and chunky trail. Ya, you can do it, but it would be a hell of a lot more fun and enjoyable on a modern full squish and at the end of the day fun wins.

mtbr member

-Walt
    I guess compared to other states Tx is forgiving in ebike regulations. Ebikes in Tx are not classified under classes but as a whole. For road use, just need to keep it under 20; no matter what wattage you have. Also in TX, you can ride ebikes on bike paths unless otherwise indicated by posted notices. Trails I understand, the impact of torque on non maintained trails could damage them so many others cant use them, I'm also a pedal biker and I enjoy my local trails and would like to see those trails available to all and to my kids one day when they get older so they can too enjoy what I have. We also have some local trails that are maintained. I would have to go and see if there are any notices. There are also private land here in Tx that landowners have made for mtb and do not mind emtb riders to ride the trails as they are maintained.

And If wattage ever becomes an issue these controllers can always be programmed with less power.

https://www.evelo.com/texas-state-el...ws-definition/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebeau View Post

FYI I have three eBikes, 2 road and one mtb and they all have throttles on them. All are bikes assembled with "kit" systems. On an eMTB a torque assist PAS is far superior to any cadence PAS as it allows for the most natural feel at the pedal and that is the point I am trying to make.

If you get a chance to ride a torque assist system you will feel the difference immediately. I find the throttle only useful for starting off and getting going enough in tough situations to get enough pedal stroke in to activate the PAS. But for that it is very useful and I agree that all eBikes should have them. Cadence sensing PAS is too touchy and doesn't allow for a consistent pedaling cadence based on your effort pedaling as it's name might suggest.

Crowing about going 30-35mph on your bike won't get you much love on here either.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

banned
    Jul 2018
    For road use, just need to keep it under 20; no matter what wattage you have.
    Name:  another ebike idiot.PNG
Views: 216
Size:  19.8 KB

mtbr member
    anyways... all in all, you need to ride with common sense.. dont travel at high speed in areas for pedal bike paths that are in heavy use. Use the speed offroad or onroad in some cases places that are allowed. Depending in what state you live can differ from what I have seen. BUT back to topic So I decided to keep the Luna Bling ring bc I just found out they make 3.3mm spacers for it! Just ordered the spacer, hoping it will now fit without hitting the frame. Stock bafang offset is 19mm, eclipse is 24.8, so with the spacer it will be 21.5mm. With the diameter difference stock (190mm) vs eclipse (180mm) should fit.... hopefully chain line will be right on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brownpownow View Post
    Name:  another ebike idiot.PNG
Views: 216
Size:  19.8 KB
    Your right. To be able to use legally you will need to program the tune down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    You donít have to lower the power if you gear it so that 20mph is the top speed. As a bonus it will climb hills like a goat.

mtbr member
    that is true.

tire to rim ratio tester

This is what I've noticed too. It's just too hard to ride an e-bike on a real up-and-down trail, things happen too fast to adjust properly. You have to brake, change gears, AND remember about the e-power level you are supposed to be at. It's not as fun as a normal bike. If I do ride trails with the e-bike (if I even go on them, most of it's fire road stuff) I go slower with the e-bike than with a pedal bike because of this issue. Faster with a heavier bike does not always mean more fun, but it could mean flying off the trail and quickly regretting it.
    "A $1700 bike is not fit to be hucked from a curb"
    MTB B'Dos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    This is what I've noticed too. It's just too hard to ride an e-bike on a real up-and-down trail, things happen too fast to adjust properly. You have to brake, change gears, AND remember about the e-power level you are supposed to be at. It's not as fun as a normal bike. If I do ride trails with the e-bike (if I even go on them, most of it's fire road stuff) I go slower with the e-bike than with a pedal bike because of this issue. Faster with a heavier bike does not always mean more fun, but it could mean flying off the trail and quickly regretting it.
    Sounds like you don't know how to ride.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    just like non ebikes, you gotta plan ahead on gears, I've never shifted going uphill on a non ebike, always in gear before hand. Also a gear sensor is a must have add on IMO. Those who dont know, it stops the motor for a second so you can change gears with out having to pump the brakes or anything... smooth as silk shifting. I do not reccomend changing gear going uphill even if you have this add on, puts a lot of stress on the drive train. Just make sure to tweak your derailleur a bit so it's in the sweet spot. I had to tweak a bit after my initial setup. Also make sure you get the right gear sensor that works with your motor, not all are universal.

banned
    Jul 2018
    That, and he claims that his motor bicycle that he built uses a front hub motor.

mtbr member
    On a side note... reprogrammed the bbshd pas setting and found a sweet spot for pas settings. Was able to bike w/kid trailer for 10 miles today, w/some steep uphills along the way w/out breaking a sweat, truely awesome. obviously at a low rate of speed.... before I could only do it about 2miles pedal alone before I was pooped out.

tire to rim ratio tester

You are just pissed off because you force yourself to like baseball. A game that you basically have to be an alcoholic just to get through for 4 hours.
    "A $1700 bike is not fit to be hucked from a curb"
    MTB B'Dos

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    You are just pissed off because you force yourself to like baseball. A game that you basically have to be an alcoholic just to get through for 4 hours.
    Ooooh, thatís rich man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    3mm spacers for the eclipse fit perfect! Just enough space to clear the frame. Slightly better chainline too.

mtbr member
    Lekkie offset buzz bars just came in project finished!Project started!-20180930_215311.jpegProject started!-20180927_175236.jpeg