Thread: New YT Decoy

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

New YT Decoy

https://youtu.be/E287ahFYHQQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    just saw this on Instagram. looks very promising!

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Agreed. The only misstep is the 7000 shifter.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    A more comprehensive review: https://ebike-mtb.com/en/yt-decoy-review/

And that site has a very comprehensive review of the GreyP launch also. But for serious mtb use the YT is a way better option albeit without all the tech. But actual geo/components that effect the ride quality wise the YT wins hands down.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

10,000,000 Watts
    Pretty good shiot mon! If I wasnít very pleased with my Focus, I would order one in a heartbeat. My buddies ride capras and love them. Great value for the money. Di2 also- sweet.
    Why is my power bill so high?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    Pretty good shiot mon! If I wasnít very pleased with my Focus, I would order one in a heartbeat. My buddies ride capras and love them. Great value for the money. Di2 also- sweet.
    I will pull the trigger on a Di2 setup very soon. It integrates very well with the STEPS system, that dual E7000 shifter setup looks sweet too!

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004
    I was going to order up an Intense Tazer, but this looks pretty promising! Top model: carbon wheels, DI2 shifting, X2 rear shock! Looks like mid June arrival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Might be a problem if you have a warranty issue as per this from YT:

"If there is a problem with the drive unit you have to send us the complete bike. It is not possible to contact Shimano directly or to go to a bike shop near you."

Seeing as how Germany is a long ways away that is and eBikes not being known for their reliability to date.

10,000,000 Watts
    Iíve had di2 for years and have had zero issues. Seems odd that you couldnít take the shimano motor to any dealer.
    Last edited by Gutch; 03-29-2019 at 09:00 PM.

mtbr member
    It's not the di2 or the motor but the fact that they had their own battery made and that probably has firmware protocols that need specific software for upgrading and diagnostics that don't jive with the Shimano ones.

Seeing as how they are a direct to consumer brand they don't have a dealer network to share with and train in how to fix things. Seems like they would be smart if they plan on selling many here to partner with one of the mobile bike shops at least to have some sort of coverage.

10,000,000 Watts
    10-4, gotcha!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Decoy looks good at first glance, but I'm not a fan for several reasons:

1) Custom battery = huge pain in the ass. When that thing craps out, you have to send it to Germany. Sending a huge Lithium Ion battery pack overseas? I'm not even sure how you do that. Five years from now when it wears out, good luck finding one, since they will have moved on to a different design.

2) Since the battery is held in with allen bolts, you'd better have a nice warm place to keep the bike. You really don't want to store the bike in an unheated garage or shed because those batteries don't like being frozen and especially, you should never charge an ebike battery when it is below 40F. Taking the battery on and off is guaranteed to wear out the bolt threads, so you will end up with a rattling battery pack when they loosen.

3) Two different wheel sizes means you must carry two tubes. Of course you are going to run tubeless, but 10 miles from the trailhead when you burp the tire and can't get it to reseat? I always carry a tube just in case. Now you need two.

4) Personal preference here, but their component spec is backward. I want a SRAM Eagle drivetrain with a 50T low, and Shimano four-piston XT brakes. All of their specs are Shimano drivetrain with 46T low and SRAM brakes. Yes, you need just as low gears on an eMTB as you need on a regular MTB. It is about the cadence. Being overgeared on a eMTB is just as bad as being overgeared on a regular MTB.

5) You can't take the bike to a local dealer for firmware updates or electrical gremlins. Granted, Commencal, Fezzari, Bikes Direct, and the other web retailers have the same problem. From what I read, you would have to either ship the entire bike to a Shimano service center, or remove what you think is bad and send that.

It seems like a great value, and it may ride really well, but these are deal killers for me. YMMV.

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004
    I just put my order in for a large CF Pro Race ETA 6/5/19. Canít wait! Iím about an hours drive form YT USAís office, not worried about support, plus I have another bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

New YT Decoy

Iíve had di2 for years and have had zero issues. Seems odd that you couldnít take the shimano motor to any dealer.
    That would cost $$$ to ship back

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Nice bike, just curious.
    How long warranty on battery or cost for replacement pack

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    I just put my order in for a large CF Pro Race ETA 6/5/19. Canít wait! Iím about an hours drive form YT USAís office, not worried about support, plus I have another bike!

Cool, let us know how you like it!

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post

1) Custom battery = huge pain in the ass. When that thing craps out, you have to send it to Germany. Sending a huge Lithium Ion battery pack overseas? I'm not even sure how you do that. Five years from now when it wears out, good luck finding one, since they will have moved on to a different design.

2) Since the battery is held in with allen bolts, you'd better have a nice warm place to keep the bike. You really don't want to store the bike in an unheated garage or shed because those batteries don't like being frozen and especially, you should never charge an ebike battery when it is below 40F. Taking the battery on and off is guaranteed to wear out the bolt threads, so you will end up with a rattling battery pack when they loosen.

3) Two different wheel sizes means you must carry two tubes. Of course you are going to run tubeless, but 10 miles from the trailhead when you burp the tire and can't get it to reseat? I always carry a tube just in case. Now you need two.

4) Personal preference here, but their component spec is backward. I want a SRAM Eagle drivetrain with a 50T low, and Shimano four-piston XT brakes. All of their specs are Shimano drivetrain with 46T low and SRAM brakes. Yes, you need just as low gears on an eMTB as you need on a regular MTB. It is about the cadence. Being overgeared on a eMTB is just as bad as being overgeared on a regular MTB.

5) You can't take the bike to a local dealer for firmware updates or electrical gremlins. Granted, Commencal, Fezzari, Bikes Direct, and the other web retailers have the same problem. From what I read, you would have to either ship the entire bike to a Shimano service center, or remove what you think is bad and send that.

It seems like a great value, and it may ride really well, but these are deal killers for me. YMMV.
    I would prefer XT everything. Just carry a 27.5 tube, itíll work. Your other points are definitely valid. The battery would be my biggest concern, but Iím kinda in the same boat with my Focus.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel View Post
    Might be a problem if you have a warranty issue as per this from YT:

"If there is a problem with the drive unit you have to send us the complete bike. It is not possible to contact Shimano directly or to go to a bike shop near you."

Seeing as how Germany is a long ways away that is and eBikes not being known for their reliability to date.
    They have an office in Southern Cal. However, in my opinion, the service is not the only issue.

YT does not any kind of "ride it and love it, or return it". Canyon has such a guarantee.

YT demo bike tour called the "Rolling Circus" seems like a good way to demo, but they only have them once a month across many of the western states. Worse yet, the Circus closest to me (Sea Otter in April) lists that YT will have "Display Bikes Only".

Lastly, there appears to be only one way to get warranty service (as mentioned above) sending it to YT in SoCal. Well, that is $100-200 each way. I guess I could pay at a Shimano Ebike service center. I could be cheaper than shipping if it's a simple fix.

These negatives really kill the price break you get going direct from mfg.

I love the bike's look, but I'm not buying because of the negatives listed above. The Specialized Levo is back at the top of my list. Which is kind of a bummer as I did like and want this bike.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Iím looking at the S-Works Turbo Levo right now. Price is $14,400 vs $9,500, in Canadian $.

It has 11spd SRAM (11-42) vs the XT Di2 (9-46), same forks, same brakes, DPS vs X2 shock, Command post vs factory Transfer, house brand bars vs Renthal.

It wins with carbon cranks, Roval Traverse wheels vs E13 carbon, a nice carbon/ti seat and a 700Wh battery vs YTís 540. All in all the spec looks pretty equal with both having their pros and cons but one costs an extra $4900.

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by mv70 View Post
    Nice bike, just curious.
    How long warranty on battery or cost for replacement pack
    I spoke with YT on Friday - battery warranty is 6 months. Motor 2 years. Frame 5 years.

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    They have an office in Southern Cal. However, in my opinion, the service is not the only issue.

Lastly, there appears to be only one way to get warranty service (as mentioned above) sending it to YT in SoCal. Well, that is $100-200 each way. I guess I could pay at a Shimano Ebike service center. I could be cheaper than shipping if it's a simple fix.

These negatives really kill the price break you get going direct from mfg.

I love the bike's look, but I'm not buying because of the negatives listed above. The Specialized Levo is back at the top of my list. Which is kind of a bummer as I did like and want this bike.
    Per my conversation with YT on Friday, they pay all shipping costs.

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by PinoyMTBer View Post
    That would cost $$$ to ship back
    YT pays all shipping costs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My Focus Jam2 has a custom battery and I have no problem getting my local shop (not a Focus dealer) to work on the bike and do updates if I don't use the (admittedly poorly designed) Shimano etube app.

I like the E7000 shifter for the left side but the E8000 one is IMO better on the right side, in fact I have a E7000 on order for my left perch so I can run a different dropper post lever.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X View Post
    If YT is going to pay the warranty shipping costs, then that is better. I'm a little concerned about the 6 month battery warranty. However, if they have replacements or improvements resonably priced, I could be ok with that.

The lack of demo ability it still an issue for me. It's hard to justify dropping $6-7K on a bike I have not been able to ride. I'd even be willing to shell out $100 for return shipping if they sent me a demo. that's the going price around here anyway for a demo from a shop

Professional Troll

Um...when it craps out, as all batteries do overtime, you don't send it back, you just buy a new one LOL. E-bike batteries are only a few hundred $$ anyways. If your battery lasts 5 years, you consider yourself fortunate.

2) Since the battery is held in with allen bolts, you'd better have a nice warm place to keep the bike. You really don't want to store the bike in an unheated garage or shed because those batteries don't like being frozen and especially, you should never charge an ebike battery when it is below 40F.
    Doesn't everyone live in California?

So just through a 27.5 front wheel on there and sell the 29'er?

You should NOT need a 50t on an ebike. You don't need anything near that low. With an e-bike you have a MUCH wider power band. Unless you are a REALLY weak pedaler...

That's a legit concern. Seems weird that you can't just send back the motor or electronics or whatever. .

I'll probably still get one though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Um...when it craps out, as all batteries do overtime, you don't send it back, you just buy a new one LOL. E-bike batteries are only a few hundred $$ anyways. If your battery lasts 5 years, you consider yourself fortunate.

You should NOT need a 50t on an ebike. You don't need anything near that low. With an e-bike you have a MUCH wider power band. Unless you are a REALLY weak pedaler...

That's a legit concern. Seems weird that you can't just send back the motor or electronics or whatever. .

- Batteries for Shimano and Yamaha are $700, Bosch are $900. I'm sure the YT battery will be in the same ballpark. It isn't a "few hundred $$". And since YT uses a custom design, five years from now you won't be able to buy one at any price.

-Not everyone lives in CA, and not everyone has a warm place with a power outlet to put a muddy bike.

-If the bike is designed to have a 29x2.8 on the front, putting a 27.5" on is going to steepen the head angle and seat angle and screw up the geometry.

- It is all about the cadence. On really tough, steep technical climbs, you don't go any faster with an ebike, you can just get away with putting less power in. If you are overgeared, it is just as bad on an ebike as a non-bike. Also, if your cadence drops too low, the motor can't give you much power anyway. I learned this on the Slickrock Trail in Moab.

- Having to ship the bike/motor/battery would suck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You guys actually store your expensive bikes outside where itís below freezing?

Well, itís nice to see other brands getting into the mix, but Iíd never buy an ebike that needs to shipped overseas for maintenance.

Ebikes do break, the e parts are the most fragile and prone to failure.

So yeah, best ebike to own when it breaks: Specialized, Trek, Giant, Pivot.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Would you buy a $7000 Ford if there wasn't a place to get warranty service where you lived?
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Decoy was nice looking and great fit and finish. They has the white and black medium Pro model.I went to the Mill opening in San Clemente and checked out their bikes. The Decoy is a looker for sure the only bike that looks that good to me is the Pivot. Xl Decoy pro race on order....first ebike after riding analog for 30 years+

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Wow! Congrats on the new bike! Post pictures when that new beast is assembled.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Would you buy a $7000 Ford if there wasn't a place to get warranty service where you lived?
    A Chevy, sure, but a Ford? Hell naw!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a Promaster van, ainít no way Iíd live somewhere that ainít got a dealer .... next van is an AWD Transit for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    A Chevy, sure, but a Ford? Hell naw!
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Professional Troll
    - Batteries for Shimano and Yamaha are $700, Bosch are $900. I'm sure the YT battery will be in the same ballpark. It isn't a "few hundred $$". And since YT uses a custom design, five years from now you won't be able to buy one at any price.
    I emailed YT, they said the 700Wh battery will be ~$700. And yes I know exactly how much batteries cost, I have an extra one for my Turbo Vado, and yes it did cost "A few hundred $$" at around $700 if I recall correctly. I'm sure you'll be able to buy batteries for several years. 20 years? no. 10? maybe, pretty unlikely. 5? for sure.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I have a Promaster van, ainít no way Iíd live somewhere that ainít got a dealer .... next van is an AWD Transit for that reason.

Sweet me too! I got excited when they released that last month!

mtbr member

Thereís a Scottish fellow on another forum whoís ordered a Decoy and will replace the front fork with longer travel and 27.5 inch front wheel to achieve nearly the same geometry. 180 x 160 travel with slightly wider tire on front than rear.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    This is exactly where I ended up too. In the end the fact that there are 3 Spesh dealers (one of which is my favorite LBS) within 20 minutes of my house sealed the deal.

mtbr member
    I also went to the showroom opening in San Clemente. I was hoping to snag a little test ride on one but that was wishful thinking! I live 5 minutes from the showroom so I plan to demo one and post a review as soon as they're available.

In the mean time I have this up close video of the one they had on display.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Fun little event..I sat an a couple of bikes from the warehouse and I almost pulled the trigger on a jeffsey comp. But I hated the two colors..really dud not need another bike actually

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    Fun little event..I sat an a couple of bikes from the warehouse and I almost pulled the trigger on a jeffsey comp. But I hated the two colors..really dud not need another bike actually
    Haha me too! That 20% discount was mighty tempting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I also was looking at the levo but dang the retail price difference 12k for works compared to the 7k Decoy. The 8250 expert levo with a low end pike and rear shock. AL rear end does not even compare to the Decoy Pro at 6k. The brose motor and bigger battery are a plus for sure on the Levo. The YT support may be an issue depending on location.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How many ebikes are coming out with the standard Shimano battery these days? Design focus seems to be trying to blend the battery into the downtube so the bike looks more like a traditional bike and that requires a custom battery to fit the frame. YT Decoy, Pivot Shuttle, Focus Jam/Sam and the Norco Sight VLT all have custom batteries and that is just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are lots more. I just don't see why a custom battery equates to "no local service" where a bog standard Shimano battery bike would be fine to be worked on, in both cases the motor is exactly the same unit and probably wired the same as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinfan View Post
    How many ebikes are coming out with the standard Shimano battery these days? Design focus seems to be trying to blend the battery into the downtube so the bike looks more like a traditional bike and that requires a custom battery to fit the frame. YT Decoy, Pivot Shuttle, Focus Jam/Sam and the Norco Sight VLT all have custom batteries and that is just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are lots more. I just don't see why a custom battery equates to "no local service" where a bog standard Shimano battery bike would be fine to be worked on, in both cases the motor is exactly the same unit and probably wired the same as well.
    Pivot Shuttle just hides a standard battery in that ginormous downtube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The "No local service" has to do with how you deal with issues before the warranty runs out. Stuff happens on ebikes. Sometimes it can be easy, like a loose connection or a battery pin that is bent, but who is going to diagnose the issue? And sometimes it can be a motor system that is just dead. In that case, do you send the entire bike, the controller, the motor, the battery? If you bought from a YT/Canyon/Commencal/Fezzari where do you send it, and who pays the freight?

The battery issue is that custom batteries are just that - custom. Let's say five years from now your battery just won't hold a charge. Will YT still have them in stock if they only make the current incarnation of the Decoy for two years, then move to a new battery? How about seven years? Ten years? A Shimano/Bosch/Yamaha battery is going to be a lot easier to find because you can take a battery from one brand of bike and put it on another, not to mention that they have already made hundreds of thousands of them and there are companies that specialize in dissecting out the bad cells or bad circuit boards from name brand ebike batteries and replacing them. This is often not easy, as there are small circuit boards and tiny ribbon cables buried in the battery case. Ebike batteries are not just a bunch of cells wired together, they have their own intelligence built into the battery themselves. Five years from now, maybe YT will be able to give you a new battery or circuit board or ribbon cable or whatever, and maybe they won't. I would expect them to do their best, but if they don't have the parts, they don't have them. Li-ion Batteries do not have an infinite shelf life, either. The manufacturer could keep some in stock, even for years, but they would need a regimen of occasionally taking them out of the boxes and re-charging them, or the charge may drop so low they are damaged. But they can't over-charge them either, because that damages them. And they shouldn't freeze or get too warm, either.

Shimano and Bosch now make standard batteries designed to fit inside a downtube, or the manufacturer can choose the externally mounted standard battery. Either way, you'll have a better shot at getting a replacement down the line than you will a battery conjured up by a sole bike brand and used only on their bikes. Obviously, if you get rid of bikes every couple of years you might not care, but keep in mind that the resale on an ebike with a shot battery is going to be lower than you would like to see. I've already seen Levos with a lot of charges going pretty cheaply. BTW, all of the high end batteries have a counter inside that will tell the number of battery cycles it has gone through, so when you buy a used ebike, you can know a general condition based on usage. Depending on the battery, the manufacturer will say they are good for between 500-800 charges.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I also was looking at the levo but dang the retail price difference 12k for works compared to the 7k Decoy. The 8250 expert levo with a low end pike and rear shock. AL rear end does not even compare to the Decoy Pro at 6k. The brose motor and bigger battery are a plus for sure on the Levo. The YT support may be an issue depending on location.
    Looking at your comparison of the 12k spec sworks vs the 7k YT is a no brainer to me. I would go for hte YT. the money saved is significant enough to deal with any issues. Hell, it's even enough to get an acoustic bike on sale from YT or Canyon to help with any downtime on the ebike.

I'm looking at $6000. So, the $6000 levo is no match for the 6000 YT, unless you get a lot of warranty issues. I also have a habbit of swaping parts right away. So, if I went for the $7000 YT, I would not have to swap anything except the right shifter ($80 for XT ver).

I have time to think as avail of both the YT and Levo are May at the soonest.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have time to think as avail of both the YT and Levo are May at the soonest.
    I thought so too. Got a call from my LBS on Saturday and my Levo is in the shop and being put together as I type (I ordered on March 2nd). Woo

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    I thought so too. Got a call from my LBS on Saturday and my Levo is in the shop and being put together as I type (I ordered on March 2nd). Woo
    nice

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    It looks like they made the downtime wider rather than taller to give this model a more traditional bike like profile from the side.

I wonder how this affects Q factor? Shimano's motor supposedly allows for a normal Q factor. Can the same be said for decoy with it's custom battery and down tube?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    175 q factor i read somewhere. standard boost xt Q factor I believe

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I don't get it. For that much money why not just get a moto bike?
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    Because money and value and worth are all very personal things and relative to the individual?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Why do you have three bikes to rule them all?..

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    Have you ridden a moto bike? I assume not because if you had youíd know they are two completely different things.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I ordered the base model, didnt know it has a Alum rear end and not a carbon rear end...don't think I care, was just looking for least expensive. What do you think the weight penalty (if any) of a carbon rear vs alum rear? and how about ride quality with a heavy Ebike, better to have Alum rear? or not?
    I ordered a Large, but checking the size chart, looks like I could ride the XL!? I have a new jeffsy L and it fits me well, also have a wreckoning (L) and fits me well, but the reach on the decoy L is small!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I wouldnít worry about the weight, itís an enduro e-MTB not an XC/trail bike. I doubt thereís a discernible difference between 50 and 51lbs. If thatís the only reason for wanting to upgrade I wouldnít worry about it. All of the different builds are a great value so buy whatever fits your budget.

You might want to size up. YTís XXL is similar to a lot of other companiesí XL, so it would make sense to size up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I wouldnít worry about the weight, itís an enduro e-MTB not an XC/trail bike. I doubt thereís a discernible difference between 50 and 51lbs. If thatís the only reason for wanting to upgrade I wouldnít worry about it. All of the different builds are a great value so buy whatever fits your budget.

You might want to size up. YTís XXL is similar to a lot of other companiesí XL, so it would make sense to size up.
    How tall are you??

m 6 ft 1 with very wide shoulders and I ordered the XL as it is on paper a hair larger than my L Ripmo. I could easily ride a xl ripmo and I am at the very top size for the large.

I sat on the XL Jeffsey and it felt really big, but the tall top cap and dang rise bars where really messing wit the bar height could have been at lest 1 or 2 lower for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Zero concerns on weight, just ride characteristics. Ive owned many alum bikes and many carbon, even some carbons with alum rears, but never asked the question in a side by side comparison actually haha.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    How tall are you??

m 6 ft 1 with very wide shoulders and I ordered the XL as it is on paper a hair larger than my L Ripmo. I could easily ride a xl ripmo and I am at the very top size for the large.

I sat on the XL Jeffsey and it felt really big, but the tall top cap and dang rise bars where really messing wit the bar height could have been at lest 1 or 2 lower for me.
    Like I said, I own the new jeffsy in the LARGE, I am pretty happy with the fit, L jeffsy has a 470mm REACH and I dont think id wanna go bigger than that. LARGE decoy reach is 455mm, so a bit short, but the XL Decoy reach goes to 475mm, so a bit longer than my Jeffsy. Dilemma!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stiksandstones View Post
    Like I said, I own the new jeffsy in the LARGE, I am pretty happy with the fit, L jeffsy has a 470mm REACH and I dont think id wanna go bigger than that. LARGE decoy reach is 455mm, so a bit short, but the XL Decoy reach goes to 475mm, so a bit longer than my Jeffsy. Dilemma!
    Don't get hung up on reach measurements. It's about ETT - especially with the newer crop of bikes with steep STA - your cockpit length in ETT matters more.

10,000,000 Watts
    ^this

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    New YT Decoy-el-capra_dyno_hill.jpg

My DIY version I built almost 2 years ago, thousands cheaper, pounds lighter (45.5), longer travel fork (I swapped in a 180 shaft), and more flexible battery options. It wasn't a bolt on install, I had to mill the back of the BBS02 motor to fit the BB and make a bunch of custom bits. I can get 2500' of steep climbing from 230 Wh in Eco. A spare battery is easily carried and swapped but rarely needed.

Machining video
    https://youtu.be/OMZTbgI45gs

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Heim View Post
    Holy runout batman.

Wobble wobble.

10,000,000 Watts
    I emailed YT, they said the 700Wh battery will be ~$700. And yes I know exactly how much batteries cost, I have an extra one for my Turbo Vado, and yes it did cost "A few hundred $$" at around $700 if I recall correctly. I'm sure you'll be able to buy batteries for several years. 20 years? no. 10? maybe, pretty unlikely. 5? for sure.
    Are they planning on producing a 700wh battery that fits in the down tube?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes it's in the downtube..just like the 540

10,000,000 Watts
    Does anyone know if you can sneak a water bottle in this frame? It looks like there are bosses.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The small YT 500ml bottle fits.

10,000,000 Watts
    ^Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Looks like a standard cage fitament? I just put the fidlock YT bottle/cage system on my new Jeffsy, took a few tries to master putting it back onto frame after a drink, but, stoked I can get a bottle in that little area.
    P.S.
    Love the 2019 Jeffsy.
    Can not WAIT to get my DECOY

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    did you weight the bike ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No updates on delivery yet..according to YT

Professional Troll
    No updates on delivery yet..according to YT
    What does that mean? Does that mean that everything is on schedule and nothing new to report? Or does it mean no delivery dates scheduled yet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    yes and yes, they said the container is on schedule and will update user accounts on delivery when they are in.

When I ordered I believe they said they where shooting for end this week for the bikes to come in with releases starting next week. But that was 2 months ago.

Pro Crastinator
    they will be out in 2 weeks...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Did you get an update from YT or you know someone?

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    they will be out in 2 weeks...
    Classic.

mtbr member

New YT Decoy

Howís everyone liking their Decoy?

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Itís at paint!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    itís at paint!!
    lmao.

mtbr member
    Itís at paint!!
    Cool, whatís the look? Iím loving an all black bike. Havenít had one in a long time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    Howís everyone liking their Decoy?
    Looks like an Avalanche Downhill Racing upgrade on that fork. I never manage to get my fork o-ring to bottom out, guess I don't hit it near hard enough.

mtbr member
    Looks like an Avalanche Downhill Racing upgrade on that fork. I never manage to get my fork o-ring to bottom out, guess I don't hit it near hard enough.
    Ha me too! Steve with Vorsprung has an interesting video on how much of your suspension you should be using, tldr he doesnít think you need to use all of it.

I got a smashpot coil in there with the avy damper and an avy tuned bomber cr on the back. It weights 55 lbs with pedals. |8

This is my first ebike and itís a lot of fun. But the bike isnít very poppy and is pretty challenging to maneuver through rough stuff at speed. I get the ďpassenger on a speeding trainĒ feeling. Iíve tried to get some tuning tips from the forum and just messaged Craig. I want to get the bike feeling more playful.

fc
    Here are some Decoy photos from my shredit.New YT Decoy-img_4027.jpg

New YT Decoy-img_4030.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ha..my bike is in the container..or in the airplane..or in the FedEx truck or in somewhere..I have heard it all..

fc
    Has anyone actually ordered or received the YT Decoy? What model, size?
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    They've been dropping in Europe

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    My buddy should be getting his in a couple weeks. My Kenevo is being delivered this week and I rode a pivot 3 weeks back, so I should have some good comparatives once I toss a leg over it

Professional Troll
    I got my XXL pro about 2 weeks ago. It's amazing!

fc
    Where do you live? When did you order and let's see some photos pls. What exactly do you like about it?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Nice, my XXL Pro Race should be here in a week or two. Howís the water bottle space on the XXL, still 500ml limit?

I actually wanted the Pro but itís estimated delivery time would have been late September here in Canada.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    My size XL is on the FedEx truck out for delivery as we speak!! I can't wait! I bought my wife a S Pivot Shuttle and it's ridiculous. Such a cool bike and the Decoy should be equally cool and probably better for back down. I do have one question if anyone knows the answer: the Pivot will only hit 15 top speed, but the frame says class one 20mph max. Is there a break in or a demo mode or something that needs to be defeated? I've scoured the manual and didn't see anything on it.

mtbr member
    Fwiw the decoy cuts off around 19.5 mph.

fc
    Fwiw the decoy cuts off around 19.5 mph.
    Yeah, that's the Shimano E-8000 system dictating that. What's happening is they don't want to give you a hard cut-off at 20mph so they start cutting you off sooner and give you a gradual takeaway of assist.

My Pivot with the same motor used to start cutting off at 18.0 mph so it was a pain. On my 5 mile commute to the trail, I basically had to ride at 17mph to prevent that cut-off surging.

With different Shimano firmware upgrades, the cut-off gradualy improved.

With Specialized bikes, they have a smarter cut-off. They know if you just want to hover at 20mph or are charging hard towards 20mph. It will cut you off differently. And they have no display so most riders have no idea what their speed is.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by SX450 View Post
    My size XL is on the FedEx truck out for delivery as we speak!! I can't wait! I bought my wife a S Pivot Shuttle and it's ridiculous. Such a cool bike and the Decoy should be equally cool and probably better for back down. I do have one question if anyone knows the answer: the Pivot will only hit 15 top speed, but the frame says class one 20mph max. Is there a break in or a demo mode or something that needs to be defeated? I've scoured the manual and didn't see anything on it.
    There is no break-in and there is no adjustment setting.

Assuming you're in the US, it's likely your bike has the european spec cut-off. You can get that fixed by calling them or taking it to a shop.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    There is no break-in and there is no adjustment setting.

Assuming you're in the US, it's likely your bike has the european spec cut-off. You can get that fixed by calling them or taking it to a shop.
    I'm in the US, but I thought European spec was 25??

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Nice...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SX450 View Post
    I'm in the US, but I thought European spec was 25??
    25 km/h = 15 mph

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I will be getting my XL Pro Race Decoy On Monday, Riding in Montana next week on vacation. I wont have all my tools what is the setup on these pretty simple I imagine bars and wheels?

Are the tubeless in stock form?

mtbr member

New YT Decoy

I will be getting my XL Pro Race Decoy On Monday, Riding in Montana next week on vacation. I wont have all my tools what is the setup on these pretty simple I imagine bars and wheels?

Itís a super premium unboxing. It has all the tools to get you going except for a pump. It comes with tubes installed, but the rims are taped and there are valves in the box. There is a shock pump, a pedal wrench and dial torque wrench in the box too. I didnít have to adjust anything, except the rotors were a little out of true. The cables are not trimmed tho, which is super annoying.

So basically to ride it all you need is:
    Tire pump
    Time to charge the battery
    Pedals

To dial it in a bit:
    Sealant
    Compressed air to seat tubeless
    Degreaser for the factory chain wax
    Chain lube
    Brake disc adjustment

To dial it in more:
    Brake line and cable trim tools and fittings
    Your favorite saddle to replace the awful stock sdg
    Your favorite grips
    Clear protector for the frame, the high gloss parts of my frame are already super scuffed up, I wish I did the protection while the battery was charging

Ultimate:
    Tune the motor and suspension for you and your trails

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks great list..

mtbr member
    NP I forgot pedal washers and grease if youíre into that kind of thing.

Professional Troll
    Where do you live? When did you order and let's see some photos pls. What exactly do you like about it?
    San Francisco. I posted more thoughts here.

https://forums.mtbr.com/yt/yt-decoy-1100403.html

Overall love it, better than expected. Fox fork is a big step up from my DVO diamond on my megatrail, very surprised there. Range is better than expected. I'm going to sell my Megatrail ASAP and make this my only trail bike until I order a non-ebike XC type bike (Hightower or something similar?)

Nice, my XXL Pro Race should be here in a week or two. Howís the water bottle space on the XXL, still 500ml limit?
    It definitely won't fit a regular water bottle. I'm going to order the YT specific one this week. I assume that will work?

It was the easiest/fastest bike build I've ever done (I've assembled hundreds of bikes). Rotors were even on the wheels (which is a mixed blessing, the rear was hella bent but they sent me a new one ASAP). I just wish the steerer tube was cut longer. It doesn't come setup with tubeless, so be ready to have your own valves and sealant on hand.

Ultimate:
    Derestrict the motor and tune the suspension for you and your trails
    Is there an "off the shelf" solution for that on the Shimano setup?

10,000,000 Watts
    Are you guys using ďCapraĒ clear seal kit to protect the frame? Iíve never done this before, where do you purchase? I ordered the Pro XL, (the black one with more gold on it than Mr.T) supposed to have been here on the 5th. Postponed to the 22-25th. It better handle pretty nimble like my Focus!

mtbr member

New YT Decoy

Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Professional Troll
    Cool. I'm actually pretty happy with the power and top speed. If I'm pedaling hard in ECO mode, I'm pretty much at the max speed I'd want to be (climbing ~6-7% grades at 12-14 mph). I think any faster would be pretty irresponsible for multi-user trails/fireroads. It's better than I thought it would be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Cool. I'm actually pretty happy with the power and top speed. If I'm pedaling hard in ECO mode, I'm pretty much at the max speed I'd want to be (climbing ~6-7% grades at 12-14 mph). I think any faster would be pretty irresponsible for multi-user trails/fireroads. It's better than I thought it would be.
    Glad to hear this

fc
    15mph top speed is rough as the euros can attest to.

20mph is ok on the trail but I have a hard time with it on the traverse commutes to the trailhead. I do a lot of this now as there are about 5 trails I can ride to now from the house. I can pedal my roadie at 25mph on flat no problem. These ebikes, are pretty hard to pedal past 20mph. Sigh so i just spin at 18mph on the road
    IPA will save America

Professional Troll
    edit

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Iíve been told the Pro Raceís will be late, early-mid July now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    What was your original availability date? (My order is for 7/10 availability)

mtbr member
    Bummer. Iím sure that this is a bike that is well worth both the price and the wait.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave View Post
    Bummer. Iím sure that this is a bike that is well worth both the price and the wait.
    early mid July if you ordered 3 months ago is my guess.

There is NO chance they're gonna keep up with demand on this.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave View Post
    Iím not so sure. Yes the spec is fantastic. But the overall package is possibly the 3rd or 4th best option right now. I havenít tested all these bikes to know, but I own a decoy. The money is not a factor best e-enduro list might be:
    1. Turbo levo
    2. Norco Sight VLT
    3. Pivot Shuttle
    4. YT Decoy

I might be way off here too. Just not so sure about anything e atm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Iím not so sure. Yes the spec is fantastic. But the overall package is possibly the 3rd or 4th best option right now. I havenít tested all these bikes to know, but I own a decoy. The money is not a factor best e-enduro list might be:
    1. Turbo levo
    2. Norco Sight VLT
    3. Pivot Shuttle
    4. YT Decoy

Would Fezzari Wire peak drop in at position 5? Just wondering how people think that fits in here.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MoWind View Post
    What was your original availability date? (My order is for 7/10 availability)
    Originally t was 06/12.

mtbr member
    My thought is there are a lot of really good e-enduros out right now and it takes a lot for a bike to differentiate itself. I think the next generation of bikes will be significantly better than the bikes available today, even the levo. So seems like we shouldnít leverage the farm to get the top bike today, because it will be kind of outdated in a couple years. Also means purchasing decisions can be based on non-performance aspects of bikes. I happen to think the Decoy is a real looker, so there is that.

But it seems like performance wise all of the direct sales brandís bikes (Fezzari, YT, commencal, canyon, etc) are very competitive. Again I havenít ridden all of these, but I ride with a group of guys, thereís a big mix of bikes and it seems everyone is on pretty much the same level.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    1. Turbo levo
    2. Norco Sight VLT
    3. Pivot Shuttle
    4. YT Decoy

You may be right, who knows, but how did you come to this conclusion?

Are you aware of the bizarre long chainstays on the Norco? I had a hard time taking it seriously after I saw that and went with the YT. Otherwise it was checking all the boxes for me.

mtbr member
    You may be right, who knows, but how did you come to this conclusion?

Are you aware of the bizarre long chainstays on the Norco? I had a hard time taking it seriously after I saw that and went with the YT. Otherwise it was checking all the boxes for me.
    Are you sure about that? According to geometry geek the Norco has shorter stays.

I donít have a lot of e-experience, maybe thatís my problem, but seems like most ebikes are going to require a lot of effort to corner and control through the rough. My logic is all of these bikes are heavy and ride very different than acoustic bikes. So your time and money is better spent getting strong enough to throw any ebike around and learning how to ride ebikes well, than buying the ďbestĒ most expensive bike available today.

Or, maybe, if you get a super light ebike it will ride more like a regular bike and be totally worth it. I think the turbo levo and shuttle are the lightest ebikes available and according to reviews the sight vlt is the most nimble and poppy ebike out now. That makes the YT fit in more with the heavy and not playful ebikes than these three.

Again, I havenít tested this. Iím not hating either. I really enjoy the bike!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    1. Turbo levo
    2. Norco Sight VLT
    3. Pivot Shuttle
    4. YT Decoy

Are you sure about that? According to geometry geek the Norco has shorter stays.

I donít have a lot of e-experience, maybe thatís my problem, but seems like most ebikes are going to require a lot of effort to corner and control through the rough. My logic is all of these bikes are heavy and ride very different than acoustic bikes. So your time and money is better spent getting strong enough to throw any ebike around and learning how to ride ebikes well, than buying the ďbestĒ most expensive bike available today.

Or, maybe, if you get a super light ebike it will ride more like a regular bike and be totally worth it. I think the turbo levo and shuttle are the lightest ebikes available and according to reviews the sight vlt is the most nimble and poppy ebike out now. That makes the YT fit in more with the heavy and not playful ebikes than these three.

Again, I havenít tested this. Iím not hating either. I really enjoy the bike!
    Youíre right, it was the Kona Iím thinking of with the 485mm CS. Dunno why I got them mixed up. I never looked very hard at the Norco because they donít make an XL.

10,000,000 Watts
    Mine was slated for 6-5. Bumped out til hopefully next week. CF PRO in the states. My current XL Focus Jam2 29er Pro, is badass. It makes the earlier Levoís feel like tanks. At 46# XL, sans pedals , it also feels very nimble. Weíll see if I made the right decision!

fc
    Mine was slated for 6-5. Bumped out til hopefully next week. CF PRO in the states. My current XL Focus Jam2 29er Pro, is badass. It makes the earlier Levoís feel like tanks. At 46# XL, sans pedals , it also feels very nimble. Weíll see if I made the right decision!
    Yes, the Decoy is way, way more capable. You just need the terrain for it. Where do live?Do you have some good descents? Road trips?
    IPA will save America

Professional Troll
    My buddy with a brand new Levo hoped on mine for a bit and basically said "Well I gotta sell my Levo while I'll still can and get one of these".

The cost/part spec ratio on the Levo's are TERRIBLE compared to the YTs. You basically have to spend $9k on the Levo to get anywhere near the $6k build on the Decoy.

1. Turbo levo
    2. Norco Sight VLT
    3. Pivot Shuttle
    4. YT Decoy

10,000,000 Watts
    Yes, the Decoy is way, way more capable. You just need the terrain for it. Where do live?Do you have some good descents? Road trips?
    I live near Pisgah and DuPont in Upstate SC. There is other places to ride. Pisgah is off limits. I ride gnar. Iíve been known to road trip also! In stock form I can see the YT more capable, but my Focus is far from stock! Itíll be interesting to see the difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    is the Decoy the latest and greatest?
    Seems like just a few months ago the Fezzari Wire Peak was and its claim was how well it climbed with a short chain stay.
    How does the Decoy climb?

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by highroad 2 View Post
    is the Decoy the latest and greatest?
    Seems like just a few months ago the Fezzari Wire Peak was and its claim was how well it climbed with a short chain stay.
    How does the Decoy climb?
    I think they're all very good. It's mostly just a question of personal preference and value. The Levo's a great bike...but a ripoff compared to the Decoy.

They all climb great, they have motors, LOL

10,000,000 Watts
    Ok so I'm now at the point of mildly pissed off- YT pushing my order out yet again, to July 8-12th. Kinda don't know if I can trust this company. They've given me 3 different dates since my order. It's B.S. Might bail!

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004
    Ok so I'm now at the point of mildly pissed off- YT pushing my order out yet again, to July 8-12th. Kinda don't know if I can trust this company. They've given me 3 different dates since my order. It's B.S. Might bail!
    I've alway liked YT bikes and I would've been a proud owner at least twice. But every time I wanted to buy a bike, they were always out of stock!

Moderator Moderator
    Welcome to the wonderful world of YT, nice bikes, but hard to find the one you want in stock. Been there, bought something else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    So by now there should be more shipments of Decoys (or at least notice of shipment) for the June availability slots. Have other folks (besides prior posters to this thread) either received bikes or at least shipping notices? Were they timely (as in, consistent with the availability info at time of order)? I ask because I've seen threads about Decoy availability on a different forum (not mtbr) that indicated significant delays impacting Canadian deliveries. I'm in the U.S. and my availability at time of order listed July 10, I'm going crazy waiting, so I thought I'd check in here and hopefully get good news to calm my frazzled nerves...

10,000,000 Watts
    My original date was 6-5. I asked them if everything was on schedule, they replied -yes. I then contacted them to order a cage and their tiny water bottles and they emailed me that my bike would be NO LATER THAN WEEK OF JUNE 17th, this week! Call today and they email me July 8-12th. I'm considering asking them for interest on my $7k!

I am currently shopping around, if I don't get a good response I will cancel and move on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    My original date was 6-5. I asked them if everything was on schedule, they replied -yes. I then contacted them to order a cage and their tiny water bottles and they emailed me that my bike would be NO LATER THAN WEEK OF JUNE 17th, this week! Call today and they email me July 8-12th. I'm considering asking them for interest on my $7k!

I am currently shopping around, if I don't get a good response I will cancel and move on.
    Thanks for the data. I feel your pain. It seems to me when they ask for full payment in advance they should bend over backwards to keep their fully paid customers updated, whether the news is good or bad. I've heard of bikes shipping earlier than promised (per availability at time of order) and later. Would it be unreasonable for, say, a weekly update to all paid-up customers on the shipping status? If the bikes are coming by slow boat across the Pacific Ocean I would think they have a pretty good idea if the schedule is on track or not at least a month out. Anyone going the direct to consumer route is taking a leap of faith in the first place, please YT ease my anxiety with some communication!

10,000,000 Watts
    Got refund from YT, gonna purchase a new Levo. They were cool about refunding my monies. I really didnít want to wait another month and the Levoís have had a few issues, but are maybe more proven. Both be great bikes, and if I didnít have a Specialized connection, I probably would have waited.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Which model are you going with? Mind if I ask what kind of price break youíre able to get?

I've contemplated just going with the RM Altitude Powerplay but the YT is such a great value, Iím being patient.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Ordered a Base XL in late April and 5500 sucked out of account for a 6/5 delivery. Was then quoted the 19th. Emailed to see where they were to possibly cancel. Was told that the container had 'literally arrived 10 minutes ago' and was a told a tracking number was coming that day. Three days later and nothing. I am one day shipping away. Getting rather pissed at this point.

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmahon38 View Post
    Ordered a Base XL in late April and 5500 sucked out of account for a 6/5 delivery. Was then quoted the 19th. Emailed to see where they were to possibly cancel. Was told that the container had 'literally arrived 10 minutes ago' and was a told a tracking number was coming that day. Three days later and nothing. I am one day shipping away. Getting rather pissed at this point.
    Same dates for me, my order may have upt someone! Anyrate, good luck to you. Iím happy with my choice. The YT would have been the first bike Iíd never have to touch. As far as I understand more gravity oriented.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Same dates for me, my order may have upt someone! Anyrate, good luck to you. Iím happy with my choice. The YT would have been the first bike Iíd never have to touch. As far as I understand more gravity oriented.
    Tracking number received late yesterday . Bike to be on doorstep this afternoon. Having never thrown a leg over an ebike this should be interesting. Its going to be a bridge between my pedal bike and a Husky FE501.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Tracking number received late yesterday . Bike to be on doorstep this afternoon. Having never thrown a leg over an ebike this should be interesting. Its going to be a bridge between my pedal bike and a Husky FE501.
    Don't be surprised if you start preferring the ebike. My R1200GS Rallye has become a garage queen since converting

10,000,000 Watts
    Funny, My KTM 1290 Adventure is also getting a little dusty!

mtbr member
    Same, my husky te450 has only been ridden to the pub since I got the decoy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Same, my husky te450 has only been ridden to the pub since I got the decoy.
    To be fair I am rather spoiled. I have a KTM 1190R in the stable as well. I try not to let any of the kids go without regular attention......

The two wheeled obsession has been a financial black hole for some time now.

mtbr member
    Wow you are spoiled. Got to add a utv next!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Wow you are spoiled. Got to add a utv next!
    UTV- eff that!

Got the Decoy Friday night and a half hour later did a pedal around the block in the dark. Its a 78 pound box and no joke to move around. The packaging is pretty impressive and pretty simple to build the bike.

The bike is heavy. Bad for picking up, good for plowing ahead. Amazing what a little momentum will do for rolling over things.

The hoses and cable housings are way too long. Buy some olives and barbs in advance for shortening the brakes. Going to explore the tubeless option next.

Rode it about 25 miles and its and absolute riot. Never put it in anything other than ECO and that's plenty for most of the stuff I did.

The 29 with the 2.5 tire is quite a gyro and will plow over anything. The mismatched wheels? who gives a shit, they work great and you don't even think about them.

The SDG seat is just terrible for me. Grips are not great either.

After 25 miles I lost one bar on the battery and had 42 miles of range indicated. The bike will go further than I can sit on that saddle right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    When does the motor cut assist on the Decoy, mine was 14.5 MPH and it had to go back to YT because of that an a shipping problem. Paid March so bummed I have no bike.

10,000,000 Watts
    UTV- eff that!

Got the Decoy Friday night and a half hour later did a pedal around the block in the dark. Its a 78 pound box and no joke to move around. The packaging is pretty impressive and pretty simple to build the bike.

The bike is heavy. Bad for picking up, good for plowing ahead. Amazing what a little momentum will do for rolling over things.

The hoses and cable housings are way too long. Buy some olives and barbs in advance for shortening the brakes. Going to explore the tubeless option next.

Rode it about 25 miles and its and absolute riot. Never put it in anything other than ECO and that's plenty for most of the stuff I did.

The 29 with the 2.5 tire is quite a gyro and will plow over anything. The mismatched wheels? who gives a shit, they work great and you don't even think about them.

The SDG seat is just terrible for me. Grips are not great either.

After 25 miles I lost one bar on the battery and had 42 miles of range indicated. The bike will go further than I can sit on that saddle right now.
    Glad you're enjoying it! I wish my new Levo came with the 27.5 rear wheel.

10,000,000 Watts
    When does the motor cut assist on the Decoy, mine was 14.5 MPH and it had to go back to YT because of that an a shipping problem. Paid March so bummed I have no bike.
    My E8000 cuts out around 19-20mph. Did you get a euro spec?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think so the garmin said 12 13 mph..way to slow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What bike is that 20 mph?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It readily goes right to 20 mph for me. The small hitch going from coasting to pedaling on the motor is going to take some getting used to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My E8000 cuts out around 19-20mph. Did you get a euro spec?
    Sounds like it.

10,000,000 Watts
    Which model are you going with? Mind if I ask what kind of price break youíre able to get?

I've contemplated just going with the RM Altitude Powerplay but the YT is such a great value, Iím being patient.
    Didnít see this. I got a Expert and priced very close to the YT CF PRO. Trade offs, the Levo better motor, tech, battery, weight, and support. The YT, better components!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Didnít see this. I got a Expert and priced very close to the YT CF PRO. Trade offs, the Levo better motor, tech, battery, weight, and support. The YT, better components!
    Components can be swapped. before the YT, I was thinking about getting the base spec Levo. I would swap the fork to a fox 36. That would put it about the same as the mid YT decoy (price wise).

Then again, I was also thinking about getting the YT base model and dropping in a Push Ind ACS3 coil insert into the wonky rockShox fork.

mtbr member
    Components can be swapped. before the YT, I was thinking about getting the base spec Levo. I would swap the fork to a fox 36. That would put it about the same as the mid YT decoy (price wise).

Then again, I was also thinking about getting the YT base model and dropping in a Push Ind ACS3 coil insert into the wonky rockShox fork.
    The yari downfall is actually the damper, otherwise itís a great fork! I did this, dropped in an avalanche damper and a smashpot coil conversion. Imo I donít think the coil fork was worthwhile for an ebike, itís just too plush and makes the bike harder to pop and maneuver. The weight of the bike helps make an airspring more plush. The main benefit to coil tho is the reduced maintenance, which is pretty significant given all the extra miles youíll be covering. All that said I upped the spring rate over recommended and the fork is performing pretty well now.

The coil rear shock upgrade is 1,000,000% worth it.

Fwiw I really like the h1900 wheels, slx drivetrain and sdg dropper on the base model. All sram brakes are garbage imo, so even if I bought the race version Iíd have to swap brakes. I have my preferred bars and grips. And lastly the SDG saddle is horrible, so again whichever model you buy plan on replacing the saddle.

10,000,000 Watts
    Well I had my Ď19 Lyrik and some bad ass Carbon dt wheels, so... Iím also going di2. Should be killer.

mtbr member
    Well I had my Ď19 Lyrik and some bad ass Carbon dt wheels, so... Iím also going di2. Should be killer.
    Should be killer! Just a little warning Iíve heard a lot of negatives about di2 on mountain bikes, mostly that any hanger misalignment causes a lot of grinding and jumping. The people with this feedback say mechanical shifters have greater tolerances for misalignment because you can over shift a little without going to the next gear to help guide the chain along the cassette. Where as di2 has a set range of movement and canít overshift a little to compensate. I donít have first hand experience tho.

I also have a new carbon wheelset I built for my decoy, but tbh I donít like them as much as the h1900. The carbon stiffness knocks me off line too much. I compromised with the stiff carbon rear wheel with its high engagement hub and the compliant aluminum front wheel.

10,000,000 Watts
    Nice set up! I have di2 on my Focus and have had it on an Evil, 2-niners, and zero issues. Itís got a safety mechanism built in, you can also fine tune the alignment, if needed.

mtbr member
    Nice set up! I have di2 on my Focus and have had it on an Evil, 2-niners, and zero issues. Itís got a safety mechanism built in, you can also fine tune the alignment, if needed.
    Good to know!