Help determining value/price- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Help determining value/price

Hey all! I am wanting to sell my Powerfly 9.7 LT so as to maybe get a Rail. Although mine is a 9.7, I put Line Pro 40 wheels, Line Pro carbon bar and Line Pro stem, as well as X01 cassette and XX1 chain on it to get a little closer to the 9.9 spec. Would it be unreasonable to be able to get $5K out of it?
    Help determining value/price-pfrightside.jpg
    Help determining value/price-pfleftside.jpgHelp determining value/price-pfmotor.jpgHelp determining value/price-pfrearwheel.jpg

mtbr member
    The addition of the carbon bits doesn't overcome the fact that the motor has been upgraded significantly for 2020 and although personally I would wait a year to get on board with that to see if glitches occur, which seems to be the case these days, it doesn't make your bike all that appealing perhaps to those following the evolution of eBikes.

At the end of the day though what is losing significant cash to get a Rail going to net you? If you just want the newest and blueist go for it. But if you just want a good bike to ride you already have one.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    I see them available new for $3900, so yeah. My guess would be $2500-3000. It sucks, but that's kinda the market right now. 2020 eMTBs will come down in price across the board as well. It's the downside of being an "early adopter".

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Understood....and thanks for the replies. I didnt think the actual motor was updated between the years but maybe it was....I will look further into that. My thoughts were that if the '19 and '20 are the same then the value should hold pretty well. Id be ok taking less than $5k....so if $4k is what I might be able to get then maybe I'll set that as the asking price and see what happens.

mtbr member
    When street price for a brand new 2019 Powerfly 9.7 is $4000, I think that's a stretch for a used bike. But give it a go. Problem with bikes/cars is that, with rare exceptions, they're always more valuable to the owner than the buyer. ;-)

The other option is to put the OEM parts back on, sell it for $2500-3000, and sell the other parts separately. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Where do you see the street value for them? I look on pinkbike and dont see any comps!?! I see lots of the aluminum ones....and some FS....but none are carbon.

mtbr member
    First thing that came up when I searched:

https://us.ciclimattio.com/s/trek/po...=32916&m=53637

Class Clown
    No way I would spend that much on a used ebike but u never know

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RickBullottaPA View Post
    First thing that came up when I searched:

https://us.ciclimattio.com/s/trek/po...=32916&m=53637
    That's also without shipping to the US from Italy. FWIW, it's a great shop/company, I've been there a bunch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    That's also without shipping to the US from Italy. FWIW, it's a great shop/company, I've been there a bunch.
    Yup. Totally get that (BTW I bought my first eMTB, a KTM Kapoho, from a European source so I know how painful/expensive shipping is!). But in general, with the rate of change of technology in the eMTB world, combined with decreasing pricing as volumes go up, used bikes and last years models will depreciate very rapidly.

Moderator Moderator
    No argument there, there's not a strong sellers market for used tech.

mtbr member
    Trek stores take trade in's on new bikes, I wonder how that would be for you
    Northern NJ

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RickBullottaPA View Post
    Yup. Totally get that (BTW I bought my first eMTB, a KTM Kapoho, from a European source so I know how painful/expensive shipping is!). But in general, with the rate of change of technology in the eMTB world, combined with decreasing pricing as volumes go up, used bikes and last years models will depreciate very rapidly.
    It is a 2019 but as best as I know, the 2020 Powerfly 9.7LT is identical. I don't think they made any changes simply carried the model (even the same color scheme) for another year. That said, i totally understand how things depreciate...just figured the upgrades would boost it's value a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oclvframe View Post
    It is a 2019 but as best as I know, the 2020 Powerfly 9.7LT is identical. I don't think they made any changes simply carried the model (even the same color scheme) for another year. That said, i totally understand how things depreciate...just figured the upgrades would boost it's value a bit.
    I hope you know I'm not trying to bum you out! If I was going to value your bike and it was mine, I'd probably pick the same number as you did. Those upgrades *do* have value for sure. I just haven't found that buyers always value them the same as I did. I hope you get a great price for it.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by oclvframe View Post
    Nothing is unreasonable right now when it comes to ebikes. In the last year I sold my Pivot Shuttle for $6500 and a Intense Tazer for $5200. E bikes are so popular right now that the resell market is really good. The basis for what you're going to get are going to based on a couple things, first where you're located and second what online reviews say about the bike you're selling. The cassette, bar, and stem don't really increase value but the wheels definitely do. If I was interested in that bike my only nitpick would be the Yari Fork. If you could find a used Lyrik with red lowers for a reasonable price that thing would sell much easier. Finding a local buyer will make things a lot easier though. I'd ask around in your riding community first and see if anyone is looking for an e bike.