10,000,000 Watts

Focus Jam2 build thread

So, I recently purchased a Jam2 Pro 29er after owning 3 Levoís. Great success with the Levoís, just want to check out another manufacturer.
    My build so far:
    -Upped to 150mm Lyrik Fork
    -DT Swiss HTC 1200 carbon hybrid wheels
    -DVO Topaz T3 Shock
    -Maxxis DHF / Aggressor 2.5 WT tires
    -Fox Transfer Post
    -Shimano 6000 button shifter to work with dropper remote
    -Renthal Apex/ Carbon 35mm
    -Ergon Seat
    -Ergon grips
    -Tec battery pack.
    -HT ME03 pedals.
    -XT 165mm cranks

Bike is disassembled and waiting for wheels to arrive from Germany. Lmk how you like your Jam2 and if you have any tips etc. Jam on!
    Last edited by Gutch; 06-13-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    RIDE EBIKES - DRINK BEER - REPEAT!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Let's see, the things I've done to my Jam2 (27.5" version)

Ergon saddle
    Ergon grips
    780 mm bars
    T.E.C. battery pack added
    Shimano XT pedals
    and that is it

Things I think about doing to the bike but don't actually need at the moment

Avalanche cartridge for the fork or maybe a new DVO Diamond fork altogether
    Bike Yoke dropper if the current RockShox one dies
    finding an inexpensive 2.8 tire that will last as I ride 11 miles on the road to get to the trailhead and so burn out rear tire pretty quickly.

10,000,000 Watts
    How do you like the ergon seat?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I like Ergon saddle just fine. The stock saddle isn't all that great IMO and I can't think of a bike I've bought where I kept the stock one on for any length of time. Just for grins I may fit my road bike's Brooks leather saddle onto the Focus, it may be more comfortable on the way to the trails but may not allow easy movement to get back on the bike.

10,000,000 Watts
    Yeah the stock seats can be weak. I covered those lame graphics with camo tape! I wish they werenít subliminated. Mines Olive green. How are you liking the rear suspension?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I actually like the graphics (I too have the olive green bike, it gets lots of complements).

I find the rear suspension adequate but would love to have a more supple fork. I have a Orbea Rallon with a 160mm Bos fork that really soaks up the bumps and the RS Revelation in comparison doesn't have the adjustments to really make me happy overall with it, either it is too soft and blows through the travel or it is way too stiff and won't react to small bumps and makes for a bouncy ride. So I have either to live with it as is, lay out $1k for a DVO Diamond or $400 for an Avalanche cartridge. I've heard good things about the Diamond and how adjustable it is but thinking while writing this message it occurs to me that there are other forks in this price range that I need to look at as well such as Cane Creek or MRP or ?? I may just call Avalanche to get their feel on what they can do for me, I am at the upper range of their weight tables and over it by 10lbs when kitted up for riding so I'll see what they think.

The rear shock would be next to look at but I have it in a pretty decent setting right now, I do get more pedal strikes than I'd like but any more air pressure and the rear end stops tracking and starts bouncing off all size rocks.

10,000,000 Watts
    Glad you like the graphics, have you added tokens - spacers, in front and rear? I weigh 205 in riding gear and always have to add a token in fork and spacer in shock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yep running one spacer in the fork, haven't taken a look inside the shock to see what it came with, the fork had two spacers inside it from the shop and I removed one and liked it better.

10,000,000 Watts
    Just ordered some sweet XT 165mm cranks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    Just ordered some sweet XT 165mm cranks.
    Hmm I may hold out for 160mm, I'm not sure going from 170 to 165 is enough of a change but just in case where did you get them?

I'm about to call Avalanche Downhill to see what they say about making a damper for my RS Revelation.

10,000,000 Watts
    Holland bike shop. - in Holland!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Called Avalanche today and talked to Craig for quite awhile. They haven't seen a RS Revelation fork yet so do not have cartridges on hand for them and would need to get the fork in house first. He said he had about a dozen calls for a Revelation setup but is so busy with Lyrik and Pike orders he isn't in a great hurry to solve the issue. I am going to send him my fork so he can take the measurements he needs and in return he said he'd install the cartridge for free (normally $100 if done by them) but the bike will be down for about a month while it all gets done.

Craig wasn't too excited about the RS Delux RT shock and says it really limits any tuning he can do without special machining to get more compression adjustments. Debating sending it in anyway as opposed to buying a different shock that may also need work. Another issue he raised is that the new metric sized shocks (like the one on the Jam2) are almost impossible to buy as RS is only able to keep up with orders for complete bikes and the supply chain isn't there to allow purchase of a shock only yet. Maybe that DVO Topaz would be the go to option at this point, what size did you get Gutch?

10,000,000 Watts
    I believe the DVO Topaz is the way to go. I havenít ridden it yet, but knew that the RS, would not match my Lyrik fork and needed a beefier Shock. I bought a 210 x 55 from Jenson USA. I used Active Junky and had a coupon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I figured the 210 X 55 non-trunion version was the one, thanks for the confirmation. Still highly conflicted on whether to go the Avalanche damper route and have the bike down for a month or just go with a DVO Diamond and see if that would work for me. I think I'll do a deep dive into the Clydesdale forum and see how the larger folk are getting along with a DVO, I know some have had good success with the Avalanche damper and that is how I found about the company. Sigh, decisions decisions.

10,000,000 Watts
    No worries, is yours a 29er? Iím very shocked that you removed a token and youíre not blowing thru the stroke?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No worries, is yours a 29er? Iím very shocked that you removed a token and youíre not blowing thru the stroke?
    27.5+, not finding a setting whereby I don't either have too soft a fork or too stiff. Tried two tokens but the fork felt really harsh and wasn't giving me any better travel. For now I'm running one token, 92 psi with LSC set 3 clicks from open and rebound at 4 clicks from open. That gives me an ok ride but compared to my BOS 160mm on my normal bike it really isn't anywhere near great. I think it is the mid-travel performance that I want to improve, things that the OTT feature on a Diamond fork or the Avalanche damper are supposed to help with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Decision made, the fork is boxed up and shipping to Avalanche tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The fork is in the mail and I just ordered at DVO Topaz for the rear. I just like my more premium shock on the Rallon and figure the Focus deserves something a bit more adjustable than the RS Deluxe RT. Fingers crossed that the fork and shock will play nice together.

10,000,000 Watts
    Nice, gonna be a good set up. Fore sure that Focus needs higher end suspension.

10,000,000 Watts
    Make sure you also order the correct mounting hardware, unless you want to press out your old stuff. It's 25x8mm top AND bottom. Just installed my Topaz, sweet!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Make sure you also order the correct mounting hardware, unless you want to press out your old stuff. It's 25x8mm top AND bottom. Just installed my Topaz, sweet!
    Great info! I'll get right on that.

10,000,000 Watts
    FYI, Holland bike shop is good. They delivered my 165mm XT cranks today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'll keep them in mind if I decide to go to 165. My Topaz should arrive today but I don't have the mounting hardware yet, ordered direct from DVO but don't have a confirmation from them yet on shipping. Avalanche got my fork on Monday so hopefully they will be able to get to it in good time so I can get the Jam back on the trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinfan View Post
    I'll keep them in mind if I decide to go to 165. My Topaz should arrive today but I don't have the mounting hardware yet, ordered direct from DVO but don't have a confirmation from them yet on shipping. Avalanche got my fork on Monday so hopefully they will be able to get to it in good time so I can get the Jam back on the trails.
    I'm still on the fence deciding between the Levo or Focus. I've heard from other riders that the motor on the Levo makes the least noise. This is very important to me as I like the solitude while riding. I almost bought an electric bike 3 years ago but decided to wait because of the motor noise especially while climbing. Any input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have no experience with the Levo so can't help you out. If you watch this video, starting at 7 minutes in they ride a Bosch, Brose and Shiminao bike and film it for noise so you can get an idea on what those motors sound like. https://youtu.be/M0a_eMmtFDA?t=7m2s

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The reply was for "Gutch" since he mentioned that he owns both bikes. Thanks for the quick response and the link. The video said the Brose motor is quietest. 2nd went to Bosch and third went to Simano. Interesting the bike I rode had a Bosch motor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have only ridden the Shimano E-8000 motor so can't compare the three but I don't find it too noisy and I like the way it performs on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Topaz T3 arrived today and it looks like a sweet item. Still waiting on the fittings from DVO and have yet to even see an email about my order, I'll call them on Monday to see what is up. I pressed out the fittings from my RS shock but while the center axle was fine the end caps must have a different design as they wouldn't fit flush with the shock mount so I just have to wait for the proper parts to arrive.

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyman View Post
    The reply was for "Gutch" since he mentioned that he owns both bikes. Thanks for the quick response and the link. The video said the Brose motor is quietest. 2nd went to Bosch and third went to Simano. Interesting the bike I rode had a Bosch motor.
    My build is almost complete, than Iíll ride it and let ya know my thoughts vs. the Levo. Iíve owned 3 Levoís. Btw, my Focus is a 29er, XL and weighs 46#. I dropped 2 pounds with Carbon Dt Swiss Wheels.

10,000,000 Watts
    Focus Jam2 build thread-875b8fe8-bca4-40fb-829d-c6bf56b96d41.jpgFocus Jam2 build thread-42d426be-9c1f-4639-96ab-618b03c107e5.jpgFocus Jam2 build thread-c4f6bdff-016a-4748-8bf5-d92167adfafc.jpgFocus Jam2 build thread-94284c0c-161b-4c32-ae78-2d2ced7b45b7.jpgFocus Jam2 build thread-779b8687-58de-4169-8cbb-723961afd7e3.jpgFYI, Anyone putting a topaz 3 on their Jam2 make sure you have clearance! Mines a XL and with the extra battery, it barely clears! Also, had to trim the mode switch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well that isn't great news, I have the large frame so I guess we will see when my mounting hardware arrives if it will work.

10,000,000 Watts
    Yeah, I posted for you. Keep everything orderly in case you need to return. Also Iím at 245 psi in shock, cycled after 50 psi. 200# in reservoir and 4 out on rebound. Feels good, no bands as per DVO initial advice. This gives me 30% sag. Havenít rode hard yet...

10,000,000 Watts
    Btw, those arenít my riding pedals!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I will do a test fit and see if flipping the shock upside down might make for a better fit, I notice the SAM2 has the shock flipped compared to the JAM2

10,000,000 Watts
    Yeah, I mean what would be the difference?

10,000,000 Watts
    The Sam2 linkage looks different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It does but I did a quick internet search and it appears that having the shock upside down does not affect the action or the shock so we shall see. I can't test fit it as I still don't have the fork so no way to put the bike on the ground and check the range of motion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Topaz fits! By a whisker though. My first attempt I installed the shock right side up and right away I could see there wasn't enough clearance for the linkage movement to compress without the shock hitting the TEC battery. I tried installing the shock upside down and that would have worked great but the upper diameter of the air can just touched the seat tube so that was not going to work. While contemplating my next move I noticed that the battery mounting bar (called the bone bar by Focus) had slots for the mounting bolts and my bar was in the lowest position available so I loosened it up and slid the bar up the downtube as high as it would go before tightening it up again. This turned out to be just enough clearance for the Topaz, I've cycled the suspension up and down and it clears the battery. The climb switch won't clear just as Gutch showed on his but I'm not going to cut it down as it is only the lockout position that isn't available and on this ebike I feel I don't need the lockout that much. Without the battery installed it will all work great.

There is still plenty of room to install the battery with the mounting bar in it's highest position and I may try to find someone to extend the slots so I can try to get even a bit more clearance for the shock, the slots are countersunk so I don't have anything that can do that at home.

10,000,000 Watts
    👍 good deal!

mtbr member
    How do you guys like the Topaz shock? I changed out the wheel set to Tune hubs and Nexti rims (29") and am running McFly 2.8 tires. Also changed out saddle, stem and bars to my liking. Also put on a smaller cassette as I did not need the super low gears for my area. Have not touched the suspension yet but am thinking that should be next.

10,000,000 Watts
    I need more time on the Topaz to give a fair evaluation, so far it feels really good. Iíve literally changed everything except for the frame, di2 and brakes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Still awaiting the return of my fork from Avalanche so no impressions from me. I hope to get the fork back next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    https://ebike-mtb.com/en/shimano-ste...or-introduced/

New Shimano e7000 motor set and I like the new mode switch design, makes it much easier to fit a dropper post lever on the left. Depending on cost I would love to change out to this new design.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Still awaiting the return of my fork from Avalanche so no impressions from me. I hope to get the fork back next week.
    Dude, post a review on that damper once you get it dialed. Iím deciding between the avalanche and the charger2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PinoyMTBer View Post
    Dude, post a review on that damper once you get it dialed. Iím deciding between the avalanche and the charger2.
    Will do, I'm hoping to get the fork back this week (but the holiday probably means no) or next. It's too bad that the RS Revelation spec'ed on the Focus Jam2 is a newer version of the fork and Avalanche needed my fork to measure the changes thus taking my bike down for a few weeks.

10,000,000 Watts
    https://ebike-mtb.com/en/shimano-ste...or-introduced/

New Shimano e7000 motor set and I like the new mode switch design, makes it much easier to fit a dropper post lever on the left. Depending on cost I would love to change out to this new design.
    Yeah, I ordered the SW 6000 switch from Germany a month ago. Never showed up. Iíll look into the 7000 switch. Push buttons like the 6000?

10,000,000 Watts
    I just ordered the Grip 2 36 for my Rip 9. Running a Lyrik 160 and Topaz. Itís a great set up. DVO suggested no bands anywhere and max out the bladder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, I ordered the SW 6000 switch from Germany a month ago. Never showed up. Iíll look into the 7000 switch. Push buttons like the 6000?
    Looks like push buttons but not available until Sept according to the article.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Got the email confirmation that Avalanche has sent me my fork back! Should be here on Wednesday but knowing the USPS in my town they will probably just leave me a pink note telling me to pick it up at the main office on Thursday. Nevertheless I can't wait to check it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    [QUOTE=Gutch;13715668]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	875B8FE8-BCA4-40FB-829D-C6BF56B96D41.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	1204919

Hey - looks like your frame started out as the 27.5 Plus pro?

If so do you have any clearance issues with the back tire?

Nice looking ride btw...

10,000,000 Watts
    Thanks, no itís the 29er pro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks - the dims on the frames look to be the same and both in that sweet color.

Do the 29íer and the 27.5 plus share the frame?

10,000,000 Watts
    I have no idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I believe the DVO Topaz is the way to go. I havenít ridden it yet, but knew that the RS, would not match my Lyrik fork and needed a beefier Shock. I bought a 210 x 55 from Jenson USA. I used Active Junky and had a coupon.
    Hey Gutch - followed your advice and picked up a DVO from Jenson. Any set-up advice you can give now that you've ridden it?

I am 200# kitted out, ride the front range of Colorado, so lots of rock gardens and some drops but in general I like to keep the rubber on the dirt!

thanks much,
    Chuck

10,000,000 Watts
    Read post 32. It works fine for me. I leave it in open 100% of the time. Not worried of robbing pedal bob on an ebike! I sped up my rebound a click or 2. Everybodyís a little different, I like my bikes set up a little more ďchopperishĒ like my dirt bikes as I tend to ride in attack over the front a little more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sweet - thx.

Looking for a Yari to replace the Revelation (decent reviews for the $)

Anybody take their Jam 2 to 160mm?

10,000,000 Watts
    Mine was 140mm stock 29er. Is yours 150 stock 27.5? If so, 160 no biggie

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Itís the 27.5+ 140.

150 would be a good start but Iím such a hack and like to crush the gardens that I fear Iíd be bottoming out the 150 with any kinda sag.

My trail whip is an Sb 5.5 and has 160 and while I never thought Iíd need that much, now I canít think of riding without it - especially on a bike that is 20# heavier.
    Last edited by chuckinboulder; 1 Week Ago at 08:28 PM. Reason: Content

10,000,000 Watts
    Tokens and tune my friend.