csf
    mtbr member

Brose S motor repair/service after warranty ?s

A coworker of mine just got a Turbo Levo and now i've got the bug to get one. I few questions I have that I haven't been able to get answered though.
    what happens when the warranty has expired?
    1. Is the motor on these serviceable with replacement parts?
    2. worst case, how much is a replacement motor?

thanks

mtbr member
    1. Is the motor on these serviceable with replacement parts?
    2. worst case, how much is a replacement motor?

1. Should be but dependent on the amount of support the manufacturer(s) plan to provide them. At the rate e bikes are evolving and in general the industries infatuation with "improvements" it seems like planned obsolescence abounds. Bosch especially is doing a lot of training and didn't hit our shores until they had that program as well as a parts distributor that was supposed to be Magura but I am not sure if that ever happened.

2. $$$ for motor and $$$$ for battery.

You didn't inquire about the battery but it is the most likely to fail just from use and care given to it's state of charge and discharge, given you can get the aforementioned service for the motor, and cost more to replace or rebuild. As they are considered hazardous cargo they need special considerations to ship also so the viability of a rebuild plan is kind of nebulous due to this. Then what do you do with the worn out one? Sorry for the rant but as good as e vehicles from Buses to Bikes are getting the battery disposal plan seems to be without shape or form. I only found one avenue to get rid of my original LiFePo4 duct tape battery here in a large city. Hopefully someone is on that.....
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Good questions; I'd imagine they are serviceable, at a cost, after the warranty is expired. Looking at the documentation, it appears as though the bike can run 15,000km before a service is necessary on the new Brose motor. This is pretty good, I think!

Moderator Moderator
    May 2009
    Talked to my LeBS who sells bikes with Bosch, Brose, Yamaha and TransX motors. He said that for the Bosch and Brose motors that he's provided warranty service (no problems with the others yet), he removes the motor and forwards it to their service center and they either repair and return or send him a new one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    You will find mechanical parts, bearings, belt,... For more "exotic" parts, I don't think any manufacturer sell them.

A motor should be around $800.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I saw a guy post that he had a motor go out on the Levo and the LBS put the upgraded motor back in with the cable for "walk mode". That would imply that they don't want to support the old motor version.

mtbr member
    Hi I am Pete from Performance Line Bearings, I started sourcing and supplying parts for the Bosch motors that are out of warranty, but I am now looking at the Brose and Yamaha too.

The Brose 'S' and 'T' motors are a fairly simple motor to take apart, but a bit tricky to overhaul. There are several custom bearings within this motor that are currently unavailable. But like the Bosch motor, we are having these manufactured. Getting some of the bearings out is a little tricky too! We will be doing a 'how-to' video for the Brose, as we have done for the Bosch motors.

I am sure that by the time these motors come out of warranty we will be able to support them and give people and workshops the knowledge they need to fully repair them.
    Believing there is hope after warranty!
    https://performancelinebearings.com
    Help and parts for ebike motors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearing Man View Post
    Hi I am Pete from Performance Line Bearings, I started sourcing and supplying parts for the Bosch motors that are out of warranty, but I am now looking at the Brose and Yamaha too.

The Brose 'S' and 'T' motors are a fairly simple motor to take apart, but a bit tricky to overhaul. There are several custom bearings within this motor that are currently unavailable. But like the Bosch motor, we are having these manufactured. Getting some of the bearings out is a little tricky too! We will be doing a 'how-to' video for the Brose, as we have done for the Bosch motors.

I am sure that by the time these motors come out of warranty we will be able to support them and give people and workshops the knowledge they need to fully repair them.
    Thanks so much for the Bosch video and the step-by-step instructions.

Just curious, have you even known of the circuit board going bad? Does Bosch sell replacements?

mtbr member
    It's very rare for a Bosch circuit board to fail, they are well supported and well coated. Unlike the Yamaha, where the board is not sealed and sits at the bottom of the motor! When the motor gets water in it the circuit board fries itself!
    Nothing but the bearings and O-rings are currently available for the Bosch motors. I have contacted the factory that makes the plastic gears for Bosch but they won't speak to me But we're still working on it
    Believing there is hope after warranty!
    https://performancelinebearings.com
    Help and parts for ebike motors.