tire to rim ratio tester

Automobiles moving from 12V to 48V electrical systems with bike-sized Li-Ion battery

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...trical-systems

This is really cool. It's not hybrid electric/gas power, it's gas power with electricity running most/all of the accessory functions besides propulsion. The Lithium ion battery in the autos is not much larger than the one on most e-bikes. The moral of the story is that this isn't just happening to bicycles, it's happening to just about everything that moves. And it will reduce emissions. E-bikes are simply part of a larger trend in the 2nd electrical revolution.

mtbr member
    Read up on this about a year ago and it seems like it is going to take hold incrementally. https://www.continental-automotive.c...t-Technologies

Continental also make a 48v mid drive system that doesnít show up in many bikes but seems viable for commuter type bikes. Continental Bicycle Systems - 48V Revolution

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Ram Pickups have a 48V system for 2019 that is basically what is described in the article.

Google "eTorque".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    The moral of the story is that this isn't just happening to bicycles, it's happening to just about everything that moves.

Yup. Saw this ^^ on one of the popular hiking/backpacking sites. Prototype e-hiking rig. There is no stopping the revolution now.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Oh yeah. Just wait until the Sierra Club gets a look at that.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Yup. Saw this ^^ on one of the popular hiking/backpacking sites. Prototype e-hiking rig. There is no stopping the revolution now.
    So I'm sitting on my couch imagining how awesome it'll be to watch along on my iPhone while this thing hikes for me and suddenly disappointment rears its ugly head. I realized it won't be allowed in designated Wilderness. Damn.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Moderator Moderator
    First Segways taking over the world, and now this!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    What will really blow your mind is an e-Hiker riding an e-Bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Itís funny that I posted about the coming of this technology over a year ago and was roundly flamed. The consensus then was IIRC that I was just trolling and such a thing was decades away if it would ever come.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandHills View Post
    Itís funny that I posted about the coming of this technology over a year ago and was roundly flamed. The consensus then was IIRC that I was just trolling and such a thing was decades away if it would ever come.

When I can buy one at (insert name of local emporium) I'll say you were right.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

tire to rim ratio tester

Segways are 12V, but I'll slip in a note to them for a future 48V conversion, just for you...

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandHills View Post

And that's why you put haters on ignore, and move on with your life and postings.

mtbr member
    Black Friday deals on these this year are supposed to be off the charts.

Name:  IMG_1896.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  48.2 KB

48v with 12v for the lighter option. And red is always fast.....
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Here's another one:

Harley-Davidson's electric motorcycle signals a big change for the legendary but troubled company

Harley Davidson will debut a fully-electric motorcycle early next year. Harley Davidson! If they are going to do it, everyone will do it.

And then: https://improb.com/best-electric-dirt-bikes/

One out of ten of these featured electric dirt bikes have real pedals that work, the other nine are true motorcycles. I assume that the pedal version is Class 4 e-bike?

Power-wise no comparison with e-bikes; the electric dirt bikes in the article often have 18,000 watts, which is almost 100 times more power than many of the mid-drive e-bikes.
    "A $1700 bike is not fit to be hucked from a curb"
    MTB B'Dos

Moderator Moderator
    I assume that the pedal version is Class 4 e-bike?
    No such thing as a Class 4 ebike. There are ebikes, (Class 1-3, fed definition, particular state definitions) and then you get into electric moped or e-moto territory, depending on your states particular definitions of such.

One on that list, Alta motors has croaked, which is too bad, they were making a nice emoto, just couldn't sell it for what they needed to.

https://www.cycleworld.com/alta-moto...ses-operations

tire to rim ratio tester
    No such thing as a Class 4 ebike. There are ebikes, (Class 1-3, fed definition, particular state definitions) and then you get into electric moped or e-moto territory, depending on your states particular definitions of such.

One on that list, Alta motors has croaked, which is too bad, they were making a nice emoto, just couldn't sell it for what they needed to.

So my 1000W pedal assist bike, which I'm pretty sure can go over 20 MPH, is class 3? Maybe not 20+ mph with throttle only, but for sure with pedaling and maybe with ghost pedaling at full power.

So it's technically not allowed offroad in California because it's a class 3? Any distinction between a 'bike path', a fire/gravel road, and a real trail?

Keep in mind that I never use more than 500W offroad, it's unusable due to torque wheelspin with my particular setup, so nothing over around 12-15 mph offroad, if that makes any distinction in class 2 vs. 3. I may get a 2nd e-bike later and relegate this 1000W one I have to pavement anyway.

My final rationalization: a lot cars can go over 100 mph but don't. That doesn't mean they should be banned from roads just because they could go over 100 mph.

mtbr member
    My final rationalization: a lot cars can go over 100 mph but don't. That doesn't mean they should be banned from roads just because they could go over 100 mph.

I'm surprised how often this is brought up. Roads are for commerce and moving people and stuff from point A to point B as efficiently as possible. There are posted speed limits but of course everyone breaks them, and they would break them by a lot more if there weren't an industry of cops patrolling the roads and handing out citations. Road rage is prevalent for obvious reasons.

Trails and bike paths are where people go to recreate and escape such things.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Any distinction between a 'bike path', a fire/gravel road, and a real trail?
    Most gravel roads and many fire roads allow cars, trucks or whatever so any sort of motor is most likely ok. My distinction has always been whether it has a "no motor vehicles" sign or not but I guess that doesn't fly these days.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

That really sucks. Alta made the most badass electric Dirtbike. Hopefully the competitors can produce an equivalent product.

Moderator Moderator
    So my 1000W pedal assist bike, which I'm pretty sure can go over 20 MPH, is class 3? Maybe not 20+ mph with throttle only, but for sure with pedaling and maybe with ghost pedaling at full power.

So it's technically not allowed offroad in California because it's a class 3? Any distinction between a 'bike path', a fire/gravel road, and a real trail?

Keep in mind that I never use more than 500W offroad, it's unusable due to torque wheelspin with my particular setup, so nothing over around 12-15 mph offroad, if that makes any distinction in class 2 vs. 3. I may get a 2nd e-bike later and relegate this 1000W one I have to pavement anyway.

I'm pretty sure you've read the regs, they're simple.

Class 1-3 are 750w, class 1, 20mph/PAS only, class 2, 20mph throttle, class 3, 28mph PAS only. Older state laws, where the class system hasn't been adopted are 750w/20mph, throttles or PAS, one or two are 1000w/20mph.

So no, 1000w alone puts you outside of the class regs in CA. Depending on where you live, it's likely not legally an ebike. If it's not legally an ebike, then it's a motor vehicle and is only legal on the road. Some people are just getting moped licenses for them, it's easy and cheap apparently.

Cycologist
    Does this mean all of Rich's posts will be deleted as he's been riding illegally? Apparently on and off the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.