Anyone have a fat ebike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Anyone have a fat ebike?

If so, what brand, and how do you like it? I'm specially interested in the Norco Bigfoot ebike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    If so, what brand, and how do you like it? I'm specially interested in the Norco Bigfoot ebike.
    If you can ride a small frame, this is the best deal you are going to find: https://www.motostrano.com/Felt-Lebo...-p/lebowsk.htm

I don't have a fat ebike, but I've ridden fat bikes, and while you would think a suspension fork was overkill, it isn't. It helps mitigate the bouncing effect you get with super fat, low pressure tires.

I've found that the conditions in which a fat bike is effective are so narrow that it is not worth adding one to my collection. I live in CO, and the deep powder is not the place a fat bike works well. Also, we tend to get a lot of crust on top of deep sugar snow, and that is pretty impossible to ride in, even with a fat bike.

The trails need to be groomed, or the snow needs to be packed solid to make a fat bike fun. If you have access to that, go for it. Or, if you ride a lot of sand.

mtbr member
    I ride a lot of sand on my drop bar bike with 40c's

Anyone have a fat  ebike?-img_5486.jpg

One thing for sure if you are riding a lot of soft surface with any wheel sized eBike you better have lot's of battery on board because the resistance eats wh's. As mentioned using packed trails is best for winter riding but you can ride the with much narrower tires also. I used to ride 2.2's with non power assist on snowmobile tracks all the time when I lived in winter.

Plus riding eBikes in the winter months means cold batteries which don't perform as well as when they are warm.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Haibike Full FatSix......with over 6200 miles on the odometer and counting. What would you like to know?

Anyone have a fat  ebike?-100_2566.jpg

Anyone have a fat  ebike?-100_3315.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Mike, that is quite a brutal-looking ride! Will it cruise on pavement at 20 mph ? And if so, for how long? I'm a pretty strong peddler, and I could contribute to quite a bit of the task.
    I can't imagine having my feet on pedals and NOT pedaling!
    Most of my rides have a degree of "urban" in them, like about 5 miles+, before I hit the trails.

I'm kinda toying with the fat bike possibility as I'm getting closer to 70, and I'm also gravitating towards a "one bike" lifestyle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I guess I'm really looking at an e-fat bike with some suspension as a replacement for four other bikes' solution.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Thanks gor posting this...
    ...following!

Yes. very interested in the Fat E stuff!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi Radium. You can find my ride reports with this bike over on the "Fatbiking & Health" thread in the fat bikes forum; a solid near 2 years of ride reports, photos, thoughts on my rides and this bike.

My previous ride before the Full FatSix was a Specialized Fatboy. The Yamaha powered Haibike has been so much fun for me that the Fatboy pretty much collects dust in the garage.....

This fatbike is powered by the Yamaha PW drive system, with a 400wh Yamaha battery. 4.0 inch wide Schwalbe Jumbo Jims (set up tubeless), Rock Shox front and rear shocks. Magura MT5 brakes. Front Old Man Mountain rack to accept a pair of Ortlieb bags if I am going extra long distance. I'll be in the process of fitting a rear rack, with the goal of making this a fatbike with touring capabilities.

You must pedal this bike in order for the electric assistance to add power appropriate to whatever power setting you go to; High power, Standard Power, Eco, Eco+ or no assist if you wish. High and Standard power gives you the greatest assist. Eco is a notch below standard in power delivery, but it begins to feel much as if you are pedaling a 56 pound fatbike. Eco+ is pretty much no different than no assist.

This bike again, must be pedaled to engage the drive system. Known as a Class 1 ebike....no throttle.

I pedal my bike anywhere, from around town on asphalt road surfaces to the canal towpaths nearby and even on the sugar sand roads within the NJ Pine Barrens. On my local run on asphalt, a 20 miler, I can average close to 20 (motor assist cut-out speed is 20) for a long stretch; but I'm not an especially powerful rider, but dogged and determined! Tire pressures are key. On asphalt, I'll air up to about 27 psi. In that sugar sand Pine Barrens stuff, I'll air down to 6 psi/7psi.

No skinny tired mtb will get through that sugar sand, but a fatty will. And with our roadways a frost heaved, pot holed, ill maintained mess, the fat bike makes great sense to me. I'm pretty much a water level rider as there aren't mountains where I live. But there are steep enough grades and the fatty works just fine using the proper front and rear gear ratio.

Not one lick of trouble with the Yamaha drive system or battery. None. I can tell you with the miles under my belt, this bike can and will certainly serve as a one-bike jack of all trades for you.

Haibike has the dual suspended Yamaha e-drive Full FatSix and the Bosch powered front suspended, hard tail FatSix. Bulls has a dual suspended Bosch powered fat bike. Specialized has a Brose powered fatty. I believe there are others out there on the market but they don't come to mind at this time. I would avoid the cheaper hub-drive fat bikes.

Check out the site called Electric Bike Review to see the fat tired ebikes the site owner has tested. He is a fair and objective reviewer. Hope this has been of some help. Upfront, these higher end bikes are expensive; but there are bargains to be had by the bigger sellers online as retailers want to get rid of older inventory to make way for the newer models. That is how I was able to get my bike at a very, very deep discount in spring, 2017.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    That is all good news, Mike Thanks for the detail. Somebody do me a favor and check out the Norco e-fat bike, the Bigfoot vlt.

Link: https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain...n/bigfoot-vlt/

I might have an inside line on one of these babies. I been a mtb'er for close to 30 years now, so I am fortunate in that you make a lotta connections over that kinda timespan.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Norcos both look awesome. I would go with the suspension fork if you plan on riding it on any rough trails at all. Those have the Shimano motor system which is awesome. The top model is very well spec'ed, I love that they put a dropper post and the four piston brakes with big rotors on there.

They only negative I see is the permanently mounted battery in the frame. A question I would have is whether that is a custom battery made by Norco or a standard Shimano battery. The reason it matters is that ebike batteries wear out, depending on the manufacturer they will claim 500-1000 battery cycles. If that is a custom Norco battery, I would be worried ten years from now whether the batteries will be available. If it is a Shimano part number you would be more likely to find one ten years from now. The other downside might depend on where you keep the bike. I keep mine in an unheated garage, so I remove my batteries and bring them inside to charge and stay warm. If you have a warm place to keep the bike, with an outlet nearby, it is not as big a deal. Also, having a removable battery is a theft deterrent. Also, when I travel, I can leave the bike locked in my vehicle and bring the battery inside to charge. Finally, a removable battery allows you to carry an extra for long rides, or if you are camping away from an outlet. If none of those factors matter, then the internal battery is not an issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I hadn't thought about the battery issue, thanks for pointing that out.

EDIT: The battery has to go to yer Norco dealer to be removed. A lot of E-bikers may not know much about Norco, but they are one of the leading mob companies, and I doubt they are going anywhere. Norco's are very popular on the trail. So, maybe the battery issue won't be a 'terminal' one.

The battery can only be removed by an authorized Norco dealer, according to the website.

I remove my battery to charge inside after every ride. In these winter months and after each ride, I bring the battery inside but before hooking up the charger, I let the battery temperature equalize to room temperature. Lithium Ion batterys don't take well long term to being charged when the cells are below freezing. For that matter, I will also bring in the Yamaha LCD display as well. Over on Electric Bike Review, I've seen enough videos by the reviewer (Court) that the Bosch Power Tube set up as well as the Stromer ebike battery in-line set up, is something easily done by the bike owner. Not sure why Norco thinks this can only be handled by the bike shop.

Definitely like the front shock. There is a suspension seat post out there called Body Float that has gotten very good reviews by it's owners. I see more value in that than I do a dropper post since you said alot of your miles will be on the road miles as well as off-road.

I put a Cane Creet LT Thudbuster on my Fatboy to take the road shock down a notch or two. One day I'd like to try the Body Float in place of the ThudBuster, which has it's limitations in controlling road shock and vibes.

I'm liking the wider fat tires and I really like the idea of a 630 wh battery for real mileage potential.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I hadn't thought about the battery issue, thanks for pointing that out.

EDIT: The battery has to go to yer Norco dealer to be removed. A lot of E-bikers may not know much about Norco, but they are one of the leading mob companies, and I doubt they are going anywhere. Norco's are very popular on the trail. So, maybe the battery issue won't be a 'terminal' one.
    I know Norco is huge in Canada, I wasn't worried about the company when I made my comment, but if that is a custom Norco battery and they quit making that model in a year or two, how many batteries will they have 10 years from now, and how old will they be? Batteries lose effectiveness just sitting on a shelf over a number of years, especially if they are over or under charged. For long term storage most ebike battery manufacturers recommend the battery remain around 60% charged. Unfortunately, none of the "big four" (Shimano, Brose, Bosch, Yamaha) offer a "float" function on their chargers that keeps them around 60%, the chargers are designed to fully charge the battery. You can leave the battery on the charger and it won't overcharge, but for long term storage you don't want the battery to be at 100%. It is kind of a pain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have built my own efat bike using a bafang bbshd
    middrive on my framed minnesota. Less expensive, and more powerful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ryde View Post
    I can ditto the comments about using a Bafang BBSHD mid drive as I put one on my Jones + and my wife's Surly ECR. They both work really GOOD and I am sure you won't have problems getting a battery in 10 years. AND you could most likely move it to another bike down the road if so desire!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Interesting. You guys got any pics of your efats?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Here’s mine. Spesh Fatboy with BBSHD, Bluto fork, tubeless. Anyone have a fat  ebike?-f3925a1f-007c-46c2-9410-81c8a60874c1.jpgAnyone have a fat  ebike?-7faf2b88-ee24-4a77-a0bc-97cf6526ceb0.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Looks like you could carry a lotta battery in that frame bag.You must have aa pretty good range, I'd guess?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I have about 500 miles on three cycles on the battery riding flats, steep grades, dirt, asphalt. Your mileage may vary. It's a huge battery.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Felt Lebowske
    Anyone have a fat  ebike?-p-f.ch_170728_1423_1079_s95.jpg

Maxx Huraxdax EL
    Anyone have a fat  ebike?-p-f.ch_180213_1549_08932_rx1.jpg

The Bigfoot VLT 1 looks really good. The battery size is a plus but not being removable is a bit annoying.

mtbr member
    Just an FYI for you fat bike fans of another conversions option:

https://www.gngebike.com/gng-2019-3000w

Although it is advertised as 3000w that is just a function of the battery voltage and controller amperage at it's maximum. You could easily run this kit with a 52v battery @ 15A and have plenty of grunt.

The BBSHD are basically the same scenario but have internal controllers that are programmable. The big problem is that with Fat Bikes to begin with and the kit systems in general your Q factor becomes the Q++ factor.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Interesting. You guys got any pics of your efats?

I converted a Motobecanne Sturgis Bullet 3 years ago, with a 17 AH 52 volt Panasonic battery and a BBSHD. It worked great and I had a lot of fun on it. The only thing was my other ride I carry in my small plane, is a Montague, also with a BBSHD conversion, but also with a Rohloff hub. That hub spoiled me, while the minor inevitable issues with the fatties derailleur system grew more frustrating, as compared to the precise and reliable Rohloff shifting. Not to mention the much wider gearing spread, all with a perfectly straight chain line. So, this winter I bought a Surly Wednesday bare frame, and then stripped down the Bullet for it's seat/seat post, tires and wheel, Bluto fork, handlebars and stem, battery and motor, just about everything! I figured this saved me more money and was less hassle then trying to sell the Bullet at a decent price, and then buy all new components.

So, as of 3 or 4 days ago, I now have a hot rodded (from Luna, 1300 watts I'm told, just a programming minor change ) BBSHD/Rohloff hub fat bike. My rides so far are restricted by the big thaw happening here, but I have managed to put 6 miles on it, enough to know it is working as it should. No top speed info yet (way too muddy) but the low end seems about right, LOW. Best guess on the top end is 30+-.Anyone have a fat  ebike?-rsz_img_20190224_155356064.jpg I built this for reliability first, and as a go anywhere ride, not so much for groomed bike paths, where it's overkill. Heavy as hell, with the steel Surly frame and rear rack, Thudbuster seat, and a big cushy seat, and the big (non removable, works for me) battery, 69 pounds. But I also have room in the triangle for an additional 6 AH battery, plus for the really epic rides, I can also carry one or both of my 11.5 AH batteries, so up to a total of 46 AH. With the Bullet, 17 AH was plenty for a good several hour ride with lots of vert, where my buddies with their Haibikes would be about done with their much smaller batteries. Miles per watts, seems to be very similar to the factory bikes, I have twice the battery, so twice the range, no surprise.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone have a fat  ebike?-6b91c7f5-7b15-400b-9b56-5ed2ed1ae618.jpg

RSD Mayor V4 with Vee Tire Snowshoe 2XL’s.
    Bikes I own: 1990 Cannondale M8002013 Trek 8.5 DS2014 Trek Fuel EX8 29er

Quote Originally Posted by portnuefpeddler View Post
    I converted a Motobecanne Sturgis Bullet 3 years ago, with a 17 AH 52 volt Panasonic battery and a BBSHD. It worked great and I had a lot of fun on it. The only thing was my other ride I carry in my small plane, is a Montague, also with a BBSHD conversion, but also with a Rohloff hub. That hub spoiled me, while the minor inevitable issues with the fatties derailleur system grew more frustrating, as compared to the precise and reliable Rohloff shifting. Not to mention the much wider gearing spread, all with a perfectly straight chain line. So, this winter I bought a Surly Wednesday bare frame, and then stripped down the Bullet for it's seat/seat post, tires and wheel, Bluto fork, handlebars and stem, battery and motor, just about everything! I figured this saved me more money and was less hassle then trying to sell the Bullet at a decent price, and then buy all new components.

So, as of 3 or 4 days ago, I now have a hot rodded (from Luna, 1300 watts I'm told, just a programming minor change ) BBSHD/Rohloff hub fat bike. My rides so far are restricted by the big thaw happening here, but I have managed to put 6 miles on it, enough to know it is working as it should. No top speed info yet (way too muddy) but the low end seems about right, LOW. Best guess on the top end is 30+-.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_img_20190224_155356064.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	272.2 KB 
ID:	1239915 I built this for reliability first, and as a go anywhere ride, not so much for groomed bike paths, where it's overkill. Heavy as hell, with the steel Surly frame and rear rack, Thudbuster seat, and a big cushy seat, and the big (non removable, works for me) battery, 69 pounds. But I also have room in the triangle for an additional 6 AH battery, plus for the really epic rides, I can also carry one or both of my 11.5 AH batteries, so up to a total of 46 AH. With the Bullet, 17 AH was plenty for a good several hour ride with lots of vert, where my buddies with their Haibikes would be about done with their much smaller batteries. Miles per watts, seems to be very similar to the factory bikes, I have twice the battery, so twice the range, no surprise.
    Anything with a Rohloff in my book demands instant respect. A fatty equipped Rohloff gets double that!

Impressive bike! I could see this thing set up for long distance touring with front and rear racks and maybe a trailer to boot; especially with that kind of battery capacity.

When or if the weather clears as it's rumored to do sometime in spring, I'd like to know what kind of long distance miles you are nailing down with your bike; as too a system reliability report or two. Very nice rig, indeed!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks! I have a real nice pannier setup for it also, but I need to widen them to fit that wide Surly rack to best advantage. I bought them a couple years ago, but never had a rear rack with the standoffs to be able to use them. They will give me an insane amount of gear room.

Our 3'+ deep snow here(and much deeper in the drifts) long past being rideable due to it's depth, has now, thanks to some freeze/thaw cycles, become rideable! It's setup almost like a gravel road, and I'm able to ride places on the mountain I normally can't, as all the brush etc. is covered. I want to work this bike hard, and am, in this test phase,while still very close to home, and so far zero issues.

This pic is 800' vert above my place (I live on a mountainside, that goes up to above 9K), and the entire area is 3-4' deep, but as long as I hit it early, before 2 in the afternoon anyway, it's all great riding! I've ridden snow often, but not deep snow that's hard, and it is unexpected fun, especially the downhill aspect, going through the trees etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a fat  ebike?-rsz_img_20190225_085750932_2.jpg  

Anyone have a fat  ebike?-rsz_1img_20190303_094652605_3.jpg  

mtbr member

E fat bike + Fat Bike Ski = Awesome!

Good times! I had been debating getting a Paradox Kinetics kit for a RSD Mayor, but saw JVG1967's new setup and decided to try the BBSHD. I went for the 1300w Hot Rod tune with a Wolf 52v battery. I built it up this week and got out for a couple rides. Super fun and way more powerful than the other systems I've tried (Bionx and Surface 604 Boar).

Here's the bike set up with my Fat Bike Ski kit and a photo of me riding in some ideal conditions! 6" of powder on top of a supportive base. It's a perfect match with my ski and a 2XL tire. I'm looking to set up some rental operations based on these bikes. It's just so damn fun!

Anyone have a fat  ebike?-img_2182-large-.jpg

Anyone have a fat  ebike?-img_2184-large-.jpg

Anyone have a fat  ebike?-img_2188.jpg
    In the summer I build trails: www.sinuosity.net
    In the winter I build these: www.fatbikeskis.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesOnSnow View Post
    Good times! I had been debating getting a Paradox Kinetics kit for a RSD Mayor, but saw JVG1967's new setup and decided to try the BBSHD. I went for the 1300w Hot Rod tune with a Wolf 52v battery. I built it up this week and got out for a couple rides. Super fun and way more powerful than the other systems I've tried (Bionx and Surface 604 Boar).

Here's the bike set up with my Fat Bike Ski kit and a photo of me riding in some ideal conditions! 6" of powder on top of a supportive base. It's a perfect match with my ski and a 2XL tire. I'm looking to set up some rental operations based on these bikes. It's just so damn fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2182 (Large).jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	363.2 KB 
ID:	1244312

Name:	IMG_2184 (Large).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	369.6 KB 
ID:	1244313

Name:	IMG_2188.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	1244314

Now that looks like a shit load of fun! The V3 Mayor frames are on sale, just finished another build and bought a third V3 frame for a future build. Love that the Luna Wolf Pack fits perfectly in the frame, my shark battery was too large and I had to use a frame bag to hold it. I’m going to have to try the ski attachment next year if and when we get some decent snow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I got my panniers widened out to fit the Surly rack, between them and the top bag I can haul a lot. These panniers fold out as you can see, and end up being backpack huge. The rack holds them out from the wheel perfectly. I'm not planning to ride with them full time, only on epic rides. The top bag is full time.

I had some unused space behind the seat post, so built a light rack and strap to hold my Luna 52 volt air compressor, it will be carried full time, it draws very little power and works great.

40 miles on the Wednesday/BBSHD/Rohloff combo is all so far, but it's working great, no issues at all. Lots of local snow riding still, first thing, then later I snowboard over my bike tracks coming down from the local ski area, pretty fun.Anyone have a fat  ebike?-rsz_img_20190325_165427244.jpgAnyone have a fat  ebike?-rsz_img_20190325_162850222.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel View Post
    Just an FYI for you fat bike fans of another conversions option:

https://www.gngebike.com/gng-2019-3000w

Although it is advertised as 3000w that is just a function of the battery voltage and controller amperage at it's maximum. You could easily run this kit with a 52v battery @ 15A and have plenty of grunt.

The BBSHD are basically the same scenario but have internal controllers that are programmable. The big problem is that with Fat Bikes to begin with and the kit systems in general your Q factor becomes the Q++ factor.
    THey are MUCH louder than the BBSHD. As for Q, I don't pedal that much. I
    have a motor!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.geckocycles.com[/SIGPIC]

There is but one rule in life. "First one to the finish line wins!"
    VVA

mtbr member
    I just got this for my wife......

ATOM BIG BUD PRO

The ATOM BIG BUD Pro hits every seasonal need with a balanced ride, traditional mountain bike spec yet fully rack compatible for a serious backcountry adventure.
    Fork • Rock Shox Bluto 100mm of travelMotor • Brose 250WDerailleur • Shimano Deore 1x10Brakes • Tektro Auriga E-Comp with 203/180mm rotorsTires • Kenda Chaoyang 26 x 4Battery • 600Wh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a fat  ebike?-er807-atom-big-bud-pro.jpg  

I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just another opinion with some options....

I have built several ebikes using mid drives and rear hub motors and one of my favorites is my Mongoose Hitch fat tire bike with a BBSHD motor and 14s6p battery. You can get a brand new Hitch/Dolomite/Malus (very similar bikes) for less than $300 to get started.

My recommendation is the Bafang BBSHD for a motor because it can handle more power without overheating than a geared hub motor like a MAC and is a lot lighter than a hub motor like the Crystalyte, Cromotor, QS, etc.

I went with a suspension fork and mounted a 27.5x2.8 Maxxis DHF tire on a 27.5 wheel I bought from Mongoose. IMO it steers a lot better with the smaller tire and the suspension fork keeps the ride nice.

If you are going to ride mainly off road, a 30T "Mighty Mini" from Luna Cycles works good for the Chainring. I run a 30T front and a 24T rear when riding tight single track...gives me roughly an 18 mph top speed with enough torque to climb hills.

My steel frame has held up to a lot of abuse, BBSHD has plenty torque, and the 14s6p battery has enough capacity to last longer than me on most days .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ryde View Post
    The bbshd motor is not an item that is permitted to be discussed on this forum per the rules posted.

Having said that, I sell both the KHS Fat Tire eBike for $3000 (price as of 8/20/19) and also the Bafang BBS02 with converted spindles to work on a fat bike with 750 watts for $2200. The batteries for the bafang can be replaced for less than $300 (14ah x 48v).

The KHS factory bike is really nice, however it is true that the bbs02 offers more than twice the power of a factory made bike, but also gets about half the range. So if distance is your thing, a factory made bike will not eat the watts up like a conversion kit will.

I would stay away from anything more powerful than 750w, the reason being that the crank spins too fast for the bike to feel like a real bike and they become motorized scooters with fat tires.

KHS Endure 1000 Specs

As for the suspension, I have over 2000 miles on a fat bike, 600 with a suspension fork (it has now been removed from the bike). The only time a suspension fork is needed is if you have more than 10PSI in your tires and they feel like basketballs, then the suspension fork will take out the bounce. I run 8 in the rear and 7 in the front and unless I am really charging downhill trails, the tires act like suspension and the fancy air fork is not needed in my opinion.

I have sold about 8 conversion kits on fat bikes and the customers all love them! We do live on a volcano and our "dirt" is as loose as it comes!
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    My apologies to any BBSHD posters above. I see this is an old thread and the under 750w posting guidelines were not in place when the posts were made.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Being in Quebec, Canada i demoed for 2 hrs their Etrailbike 2 months ago. I realy enjoyed the play factor and the suspension. The 8,000$ canadian is a bit much in my opinion reading about lots of Shimano issues. I would not be happy waiting for my third motor. I just read in 2020 the wheels will go to 29. An other guy also liked the play side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Both Bulls and Haibike make fat tire full suspension bikes. Bulls had theirs at Outerbike last weekend, but I didn't get a chance to ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Both Bulls and Haibike make fat tire full suspension bikes. Bulls had theirs at Outerbike last weekend, but I didn't get a chance to ride it.

are bulls doing a fatty bike, can't see it on their website - a Full SUS ? with which motor ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just upgraded my RSD Mayor with a new CYC X1 Pro motor. Running a single speed setup with a 30T front and 15T rear ring. Battery is a 52V 10ah battery from Luna Cycles. Only had a quick test ride on the street and this thing rips! Need to do a little more tuning before it’s ready for prime time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a fat  ebike?-86311991-6096-4204-a795-ed3b56c13746.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBikeStore View Post
    The bbshd motor is not an item that is permitted to be discussed on this forum per the rules posted.

Having said that, I sell both the KHS Fat Tire eBike for $3000 (price as of 8/20/19) and also the Bafang BBS02 with converted spindles to work on a fat bike with 750 watts for $2200. The batteries for the bafang can be replaced for less than $300 (14ah x 48v).

The KHS factory bike is really nice, however it is true that the bbs02 offers more than twice the power of a factory made bike, but also gets about half the range. So if distance is your thing, a factory made bike will not eat the watts up like a conversion kit will.

I would stay away from anything more powerful than 750w, the reason being that the crank spins too fast for the bike to feel like a real bike and they become motorized scooters with fat tires.

KHS Endure 1000 Specs

As for the suspension, I have over 2000 miles on a fat bike, 600 with a suspension fork (it has now been removed from the bike). The only time a suspension fork is needed is if you have more than 10PSI in your tires and they feel like basketballs, then the suspension fork will take out the bounce. I run 8 in the rear and 7 in the front and unless I am really charging downhill trails, the tires act like suspension and the fancy air fork is not needed in my opinion.

I have sold about 8 conversion kits on fat bikes and the customers all love them! We do live on a volcano and our "dirt" is as loose as it comes!
    I just love bike stores that were/are houses.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    I have the Bulls Monster E FS:

Anyone have a fat  ebike?-d933b8c2-59bf-4368-80b5-33a125477d06.jpeg

It gets its most use as a way for my son and wife to hang on longer rides with me. I also have used it to rehab during a few injuries. It has the Bosch CX motor and has a shit ton of power. Mileage of course depends on the style of riding (vert +/- and speed).

For tough steep singletrack rides, I can go about 30 miles / 5K’ before the battery dies.

Overall it is a great bike. I haven’t regretted buying it!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have a department store fat bike with the high wattage Cyclone. Also been using a 9C clone before that on the same bike. Fat bikes are only good for what they are designed for, snow, mud, and sand. Sure you can ride it in the summer, and it being an ebike it doesnt matter, but I've seen plenty a fatties on manual sweat power in the middle of summer, I guess they got conned.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    Fat bikes are only good for what they are designed for, snow, mud, and sand. Sure you can ride it in the summer, and it being an ebike it doesnt matter, but I've seen plenty a fatties on manual sweat power in the middle of summer, I guess they got conned.
    Thats as dumb as me generalising you are lazy because you ride an ebike......

always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Rode the fat e-bike today. Pretty awesome tool while rehabbing this ...

Anyone have a fat  ebike?-2e2eefcc-6187-4227-b47a-306a0ba133f0.jpeg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    The fat e-bike and I in healthier / more fun times

Anyone have a fat  ebike?-0efabfcc-4fe7-4003-bc5b-712ffb65aef8.jpeg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    I have a department store fat bike with the high wattage Cyclone. Also been using a 9C clone before that on the same bike. Fat bikes are only good for what they are designed for, snow, mud, and sand. Sure you can ride it in the summer, and it being an ebike it doesnt matter, but I've seen plenty a fatties on manual sweat power in the middle of summer, I guess they got conned.
    Last summer a guy next door had a Harley. A real nice one with some chrome and a very nice custom paint job done by himself. He was telling me he liked parking downtown next to a terrace, eat or drink close to it and seing people turning heads. Maybe some year round user like being looked at. Maybe they can only afford one bike. Who cares what they do is legal. If they smile they are my kind of people.

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Rode the fat e-bike today. Pretty awesome tool while rehabbing this ...

Name:	2E2EEFCC-6187-4227-B47A-306A0BA133F0.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	1286403
    Ouch that looks like it hurt. Looks like a Broken collarbone? Thank goodness you’re on the Recovery side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    Ouch that looks like it hurt. Looks like a Broken collarbone? Thank goodness you’re on the Recovery side!
    Yep shattered collarbone. The result:

Anyone have a fat  ebike?-e97a6501-c906-4713-b082-e33b34402d6b.jpeg

Another two weeks for the bone to totally heal before I can start riding real trails. Regardless, it was awesome feeling dirt under the tires!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Yep shattered collarbone. The result:

Name:	E97A6501-C906-4713-B082-E33B34402D6B.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	762.6 KB 
ID:	1286525

Another two weeks for the bone to totally heal before I can start riding real trails. Regardless, it was awesome feeling dirt under the tires!
    That is the second Xray i see that looks like a tatoo.
    The funny docs put a chain in if u brake it riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I ride my Surly Wednesday year round, and could care less what others think, though I do admit to being a bit surprised to almost not ever seeing anyone else on a fattie. Does that make me think I'm out of the loop, don't know what's going on, sort of, but I DON"T CARE. I have too much fun on it, and here's the weird thing: any riders of the female persuasion, for some reason love it, I mean 100% favorable response. I never get any active hostility from dudes, just puzzlement and surprise when they see it. I DON"T CARE. From what I can gather, it'd be a different deal if it wasn't a 750 watt e bike, for sure it's a pig, but pigs can be fun too.

mtbr member
    A sighting of the e-fat in the wild

Anyone have a fat  ebike?-fat-wild.jpg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Is that ALL IT IS, 750W ? Wow!
    As for pigs, well yeah pigs need lovin' too!
    Too each their own, everyone has their likes and dislikes.

Quote Originally Posted by portnuefpeddler View Post
    I ride my Surly Wednesday year round, and could From what I can gather, it'd be a different deal if it wasn't a 750 watt e bike, for sure it's a pig, but pigs can be fun too.

mtbr member
    Im looking for a full suspension fat e-bike. What are the options?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It all depends on what you want. Do you want to build your own ebike by buying parts and installing them on a fat full suspension, or do you want to buy one.

You could look into the Chinese usual suspects on Aliexpress/Alibaba/Ebay or you could go to your local store. I wouldnt trust the usual suspects on A/A/Ebay because who knows how the battery pack was built. They go through a lot of effort to make the bike look sleek but to save money they will skimp on the battery.

What size of tire are you going for?
    What size of frame?
    Do you want mid drive or hub motor?

There are a lot of parameters to consider, even your local juristiction laws on wattage. Every country is different!

Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Im looking for a full suspension fat e-bike. What are the options?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I am also looking for a Full Suspension Fat Bike. Really I just want to be able to fit a 4.00" rear tire in the frame so any full suspension bike that will allow the tire to fit is OK. Just that 4.00" usually means a "Fat" bike .

NOT carbon, 27.5 rims would be nice but 26" are OK. I don't want it to come with a battery since I plan to build the bike using a mid-drive and install my own battery.

Are there any options besides Alibaba?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Way more and Better options available for someone like yourself Bullfrog123.
    The BBHD is a solid mid drive, then there is the Cyclone mid drives.
    You have to be careful in the selection of your fat bike, as some bike frames wont accept a mid drive. Also, pay attention to the bottom bracket width. My fat bike had 100mm bb, 125mm front fork width, not 135mm which throws a kink in things a little bit for replacement parts. The rear is normally 170mm, but some are different, maybe 160.

A good solution is to buy a used fat bike that is a brand name like Trek, Giant, Norco or what have you. The department store fat bikes are not worth buying if you want to trully ride a bike because when you buy one of those bicycle shaped objects, you have to go through the entire bike and make sure everything is proper. Not worth the savings when you can buy a used bike for a little more monies.

A step up from department store bicycles is a place called BikesDirect.com, they are American based, and only ship inside the USA. Sure you can use a mail forwarder service, but who knows what the price will be.

Go to Pinkbike.com and look for fat bikes in your area.
    Choose the aforementioned mid drives to suit the legalities in your area.

mtbr member
    I want a brand name, already built, full suspension fat bike that will take a 4.0. Something with 100-150 travel and 150mm front hub and 177mm rear hub but 197mm would be ok.

I want something like a Foes Mutz or Bucksaw but ebike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    kntr...a couple options I like if I was going to buy a bike already assembled:

A. BULLS Monster E FS Electric Fat Tire Bike
    https://www.oregon-ebikes.com/bulls-...tire-bike.html

B. HPC Revolution AT...it would be my choice if I hit the lottery.
    https://hpcbikes.com/collections/ele.../revolution-at

I am probably going to just continue to improve my Mongoose Hitch (hardtail) I bought at Walmart. Already has a BBSHD, 14s6p 52v battery, Maxxis FBR 26x4.00 rear tire, Maxxis DHF 27.5x2.8" front tire, Suntour Raidon air fork, 30 tooth Mighty Mini front sprocket and a 22T White Industries (Green) Trials freewheel with 72 POE. Also running Shimano SLX BR-M7000 brakes with a 180 front/203 rear rotors. I run 9 psi in the rear tire and that gives me "some" suspension...2.81" (71mm). 2.81" is from the tire not compressed at all to where it bottoms on the rim. 17 psi in the front tire. Less than $2,000 USD total invested in the bike at this point but a LOT of trial and error to get where I am today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    I want a brand name, already built, full suspension fat bike that will take a 4.0. Something with 100-150 travel and 150mm front hub and 177mm rear hub but 197mm would be ok.

I want something like a Foes Mutz or Bucksaw but ebike.
    Check Haibike

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Haibike has some good options and I forgot to mention Luna Cycles as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My Surly Wednesday was an easy conversion to the BBSHD, and the 17 AH battery easily fits inside the triangle.

mtbr member
    I was hoping a bigger brand would make a full suspension fat ebike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    A full suspension fat bike is not common. I too would look into buying one if the price was reasonable. Nut sack massages are not pleasant!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I just got this for my wife......

ATOM BIG BUD PRO

The ATOM BIG BUD Pro hits every seasonal need with a balanced ride, traditional mountain bike spec yet fully rack compatible for a serious backcountry adventure.
    Fork • Rock Shox Bluto 100mm of travelMotor • Brose 250WDerailleur • Shimano Deore 1x10Brakes • Tektro Auriga E-Comp with 203/180mm rotorsTires • Kenda Chaoyang 26 x 4Battery • 600Wh

Hi Tom Tom,

I'm looking for a fat ebike for winter and I read that you purchased this bike for your wife. I have some questions for you if and when you have a moment.

Can you tell me about the overall motor and battery performance in general and as compared to other emtb motors that you've had experience with?

I've ridden many miles, on trails, on the new Specialized Turbo Levo with the Brose Mag S motor and the new Cannondale Habit with the new Bosch CX motor. I've also done a lot of research emtb's. I have also been riding fat in the winter for the past six years. I only mention this as a frame of reference so you know that I have some knowledge on the subject of emtb's and riding fat in the snow.

Thank you!