Gwin is a moto guy, of course he digs ebikes

Dirt Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Gwin is a moto guy, of course he digs ebikes

What if he was a Spandex road racer?

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    What if he was a Spandex road racer?
    He's not though, you're going off topic now. Aren't we talking about Gwin? What has he done from an advocacy standpoint?

Dirt Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    He's not though, you're going off topic now. Aren't we talking about Gwin? What has he done from an advocacy standpoint?

I thought maybe you'd be more impressed if you pictured him in Spandex... my bad...

Up In Smoke
    Sorry, I can't imagine ever being impressed by an ebiker. Good to see Gwin hyping up a bike from a company that sponsors him, he's a good salesman(and dh racer too).

EAT MORE GRIME
    can't say what I want to say, since this is the e-bike forum, but I've said enuf here buh-bye
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    $$$$$$$
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    If you pay my mortgage with $$ you make selling e-bikes I will come on MTBR and tell everyone how much I love e-bikes...in particular the brand you are selling.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    You mean a rider sponsored by a company is hyping up their $7.5k bike. Gasp.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

10's shocked that he's pimping his sponsors products.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I love all the usual suspects around here who show up to dis eMTBs. Ten years from now you will all look pretty stupid, just like the XC riders in the early 90's who refused to use suspension forks (He's sponsored by Manitou, what do you expect him to say!?), the XC riders 10 years ago who refused to use rear suspension (the weight! the weight!), and the road riders today who still refuse to use disk brakes (they are dangerous because they work too well!)

Even with your narrow minds, why would you believe that an enduro/DH rider wouldn't benefit from being able to ride an eMTB when they feel like they want a recovery day? Did you even watch the video?

And do you really think Intense, Pivot, Commencal, Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Kona, Giant, Rocky Mountain, and all the other eMTB manufacturers who also make the world's best MTBs are really just selling out and making eBikes for no reason other than a quick buck? Really?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    can't say what I want to say, since this is the e-bike forum, but I've said enuf here buh-bye
    Yet you still had to comment. Isn't it funny how E-bikes live rent free in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post

And do you really think Intense, Pivot, Commencal, Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Kona, Giant, Rocky Mountain, and all the other eMTB manufacturers who also make the world's best MTBs are really just selling out and making eBikes for no reason other than a quick buck? Really?

No. Their selling e-bikes at cost because they don't care about the money.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

10,000,000 Watts
    Who wouldn’t like riding them, they are extremely fun. JMO - everybody relax!
    Peace sells, but who’s buying..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I live in Murrieta, CA and see Gwin a lot. His truck has the Tazer often in it, and I’ve seen him on the trails with it, yes he believes in ebikes.

For any pro who constantly has to do training, an ebike makes perfect sense. If your a pro and your sponsor has an ebike do you for a recovery ride A) choose a road bike & flat boring ride or B) ebike & choose whatever mode you need and ride the mountains. I’d chose B every single time!

My local bike shop Jaxs, the manager is awesome and has a Tazer as well. Went to ride our local trails and Gwin was there with several other friends on Tazers. Asked if he could join and Gwin said yes of course. He said it was one of the hardest cardio workout rides he’s done in while. Came back hurting from the pace they set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post

Nice video with the spring wildflower bloom. His eBike “recovery days” probably violate his training regime but are no doubt a ton of fun.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

Moderator Moderator
    Gravity pros (including, sort of, myself, back in the day) have a long tradition of cross training on motos. But motos can be a PITA these days - not many trails left open in many places, you've gotta trailer them around, store them, etc.

An e-bike is a great alternative for a fit/fast pro, since you can keep it going "bike handing" speed on moderate climbs (ie, getting some braking/cornering practice in while going up) and do more laps/not get as fatigued. Arguably the perfect tool to train for enduro or DH.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Gravity pros (including, sort of, myself, back in the day) have a long tradition of cross training on motos. But motos can be a PITA these days - not many trails left open in many places, you've gotta trailer them around, store them, etc.

An e-bike is a great alternative for a fit/fast pro, since you can keep it going "bike handing" speed on moderate climbs (ie, getting some braking/cornering practice in while going up) and do more laps/not get as fatigued. Arguably the perfect tool to train for enduro or DH.

-Walt
    Gasp! How dare you suggest there's any other way to get a workout than pedaling a bicycle up a hill! The horror! And moto?!? Those guys are even fatter and lazier than e-bike riders.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    And moto?!? Those guys are even fatter and lazier than e-bike riders.
    uhh ...no

there is a clear difference in training on a moto vs any e-bike

1) the overall speed. train on moto, bicycle speeds become snoozefest, your reaction time improves on a moto

2) wrestling the weight and dynamics of a ~215lb dirt bike, you get ripped arms, core, legs. if you are doing it correctly

e-bike cannot be anywhere near as good a training tool as a 200lb dirt bike. IMHO

and no you can't be a jellyfish on a moto... crashing on those gets old quick, and if you are out of shape you won't be hitting very challenging trails on one. kidney belts mandatory
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Moderator Moderator
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm sure most of them are still riding motos a lot, and I agree that you can probably get better, faster by riding a moto than by riding an e-bike. A couple of good days worth of riding a dirtbike is probably equivalent to a full season of riding a bicycle under your own power when it comes to bike handling skills work.

On an average ride I do, I probably spend 80-90% of the time climbing or riding on flat stuff, and only 10-20% descending/cornering/bike handling. You can optimize that some by finding just the right trails (steep, non technical climb combined with pedaly descending) but even then you're going to end up exhausted after a few hours and if bike handling/technique work is the goal, that's no good.

But there are fewer and fewer places you can ride a moto in the US (no idea in Canada, basically nowhere in western Europe I think) especially as the western US goes through this seemingly endless population growth.

Now, you can't ride an e-bike lots of places too, of course, but there's a lot more access than there is for motos. If I were 20 years younger and a pro racer guy again, I'd probably go that route to train unless I happened to live somewhere with a lot of dirtbike legal trails.

-Walt

mtbr member
    I did a group ride yesterday and one of guys brought out his new Pivot Shuttle. Last time we rode he was the back marker struggling to stay on the the group with flats and climbs. He has tech skills, but lost fitness over time. Any way we spent the ride chasing him. On the flats he was slight faster for much less effort (20mph cut off) and descents he really about the same since there is no assist when coasting. However on the gently climbs where we would drop a gear or two he just rocked away like he had motor. Well because he did. Me flat out vs him flat out? No contest. Me flat out vs him at conversational pace. No contest. There were some low grade rocky climbs he was pegging the 20 mph limiter where I was having my eyes pop out to make 10-12mph. Yeah that much difference.

Still on the downhills it has to be ridden. So if your training is mostly about DH practice then these bikes help take effort from climbs. So in theory you can do more DH practice runs in one day/ hour etc with less fatigue. This can be plus in a rider's training schedule.

That said it is cheating from what Mtn bike is supposed to be in way similar, but exactly the same to shuttling DH runs. Seems fitting them Pivot called their bike the "Shuttle". Because that is kind of what it is. Self shuttle. Still won't catch me on one since for me big part of riding is the climbs.

BTW... no illegal e-bike trail usage occurred during this ride. At least to the best knowledge of current applicable laws for the area.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Rides all the bikes!
    He may or may not actually support riding the eBike.

But to just automatically assume that he does because he did a commercial for his sponsor just makes you look gullible.

The trails I did recognize were at Vail Lake Resort in Temecula, it is eBike legal there. Lots of very good tech riding that requires a lot of climbing to get to.

I used to be on the "I support them, but not interested in them" camp. But after a few negative run-ins with them, I have changed my opinion. I no longer support them.

Up In Smoke
    This is kind of like the time from when Gwin was riding for Specialized and they did a promo video with Gwin and Ropelato riding fat bikes. I haven't seen either guys riding fat bikes since. Its funny the things people will do/say when they're getting paid.

10,000,000 Watts
    I personally love riding ebikes. As a kid I used to race bmx heavy, then the freestyle scene. After that it was mtn bikes and motocross forever. I’ve spent a lot of time working in the woods as a logger and forester. The ebike wraps everything up in one package. Just when you’re starting to feel crusty on a mtb, you still have half tank left! Awesome for exploring if you stay in eco mode you can really cover a lot of ground quickly. Gone are the days of 2 hr climbs.

mtbr member
    I love all the usual suspects around here who show up to dis eMTBs. Ten years from now you will all look pretty stupid, just like the XC riders in the early 90's who refused to use suspension forks (He's sponsored by Manitou, what do you expect him to say!?), the XC riders 10 years ago who refused to use rear suspension (the weight! the weight!), and the road riders today who still refuse to use disk brakes (they are dangerous because they work too well!)

Even with your narrow minds, why would you believe that an enduro/DH rider wouldn't benefit from being able to ride an eMTB when they feel like they want a recovery day? Did you even watch the video?
    Not a strong argument.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

9 lives
    Thanks for sharing this video. I've never had an opportunity to demo an ebike, and I am open to try one day. Riding further and faster; self-shuttling sounds like fun.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I used to be on the "I support them, but not interested in them" camp. But after a few negative run-ins with them, I have changed my opinion. I no longer support them.
    Was this caused by douchebag users? One thing I noted for my friend and my other friends the rode the e-bike for a bit is that it changes the riding. Instead of the normal flow climb, flatish, and descend you get the idea of flying uphills. Either up normal hills at breakneck pace (till 20mph limiter cuts in) or simply climbing stuff nobody ever climbed an only went down. I see both of those creating trail useage conflicts that did not exist before. If the e-bike riders are cool about it probably is not issue, but if they choose to be douchbags... then problems will arise.
    Last edited by JoePAz; 1 Week Ago at 10:58 AM.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

The XC riders are fully embracing the eBike, at least in Europe. Julien Absalon has gone from being one of the greatest XC racers in the last ten years to eBike world champion.
    https://youtu.be/1exfYwRhBCM

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    But after a few negative run-ins with them, I have changed my opinion. I no longer support them.
    ...and after a few negative run-ins with you, they no longer support you.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    ...and after a few negative run-ins with you, they no longer support you.
    here we go again, 'Motor + Bike = Motorbike' advocates pulling stuff straight outta their 'mostly'

e-bikes make a lot of sense for those that want them, and not for those who don't.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    here we go again, 'Motor + Bike = Motorbike' advocates pulling stuff straight outta their 'mostly'

e-bikes make a lot of sense for those that want them, and not for those who don't.
    None of that makes even the slightest sense. If only you had stopped with "I've said enuf here buh-bye".

You've made 3 comments in this thread, the first completely worthless and the other two demonstrating a lack of basic reading comprehension. Why are you posting here?

EAT MORE GRIME
    None of that makes even the slightest sense. If only you had stopped with "I've said enuf here buh-bye".

You've made 3 comments in this thread, the first completely worthless and the other two demonstrating a lack of basic reading comprehension. Why are you posting here?
    I like bumping this thread up.

as far as reading comprehension think it be like that but they do

Cycologist
    Made sense to me.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to 127.0.0.1 again.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

10,000,000 Watts
    I’ve ran into way more douchebag mtbrs, and yet, I still support them.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    I’ve ran into way more douchebag mtbrs, and yet, I still support them.
    Even after they laugh at your girlfriend for struggling up a hill?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sounds like they where just douchebags, that happen to be on ebikes. There’s plenty on normal bikes as well. Sorry to hear that, no one should discourage anyone for going out and having fun. We all had to start somewhere!

10,000,000 Watts
    ?? Um, my girlfriend? I don’t understand. Doesn’t matter. At the end of the day there is DB’s. Granted the majority of anyone riding ANY two wheels are pretty decent IMO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    ?? Um, my girlfriend? I don’t understand. Doesn’t matter. At the end of the day there is DB’s. Granted the majority of anyone riding ANY two wheels are pretty decent IMO.
    What's interesting is the take-away, that it must be the e-bike that caused the behavior. After all, this incident caused him to stop supporting e-bikes, as though that makes any sense at all, assuming you choose to accept the story at face value which I do not.

Dirt Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Still won't catch me on one since for me big part of riding is the climbs.

You can still get a good workout climbing in Eco mode. The more effort you put into it, the more you get out. Eco just allows you to climb a couple of MPH faster than normal but doesn't do all of the work for you... so you get in what you put out...

Rides all the bikes!
    I've just noticed that more of them gravitate to riding eBikes. I have been hearing stories from people I know in areas where more eBikes existed. But I had too few experiences myself. But as I have been seeing them more and more often, I see more and more of the behavior.

This comment below confirms it:

assuming you choose to accept the story at face value which I do not.
    I must be a liar...because my new to riding girlfriend got passed on a climb by an eBiker who laughed at her?

Anyway, I'll unsubscribe and leave you guys in your echo chamber.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I must be a liar...because my new to riding girlfriend got passed on a climb by an eBiker who laughed at her?
    You're ability to distort what was said is noted.

We only have your word that an insult to your girlfriend is your reason to "not endorse" e-bikes and I don't take it at face value. This is like saying you no longer "endorse" girls because one called you ugly. I suspect the truth is far different.

There is bad behavior everywhere and I find it far more likely, considering what you demonstrate here, that you're the one with the problem. You may choose to view that as you "must be a liar" if you like, no problem for me. Meanwhile, there's absolutely no reason to believe that e-bikes monopolize bad behavior, I'd say the opposite is true. I've never once witnessed an e-bike rider acting entitled, something we see all too frequently on the trail and in these forums.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Pretty much, yeah.

Of course, whether "selling out" is a bad thing for a for-profit company to do is another debate.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Pretty much, yeah.

Of course, whether "selling out" is a bad thing for a for-profit company to do is another debate.
    I guarantee getting on an ebike project at one of these companies is a gig almost every employee wants. They know the future includes a lot of ebikes and they want to be on the new, fun projects. I guess in your mind they are all just working there for a paycheck?

mtbr member
    I've just noticed that more of them gravitate to riding eBikes. I have been hearing stories from people I know in areas where more eBikes existed. But I had too few experiences myself. But as I have been seeing them more and more often, I see more and more of the behavior.
    That is my biggest concern with e-bikes. They attract dochebags like flies on chit. And the extra power on climbs further enables the douchbag behavior since they can just blast by people working hard.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    That is my biggest concern with e-bikes. They attract dochebags like flies on chit. And the extra power on climbs further enables the douchbag behavior since they can just blast by people working hard.
    JoePAz, ebikers don't have the market cornered on douchebags! I ride almost everyday and have come across plenty of douchebags, but yet to come across a douchebag ebiker. I'm sure they are out there.

From here on out, let's keep this thread going in a positive direction!

lou926
    Sep 2008
    well said!