XTR M9100 shifter - compatibility with current m800 drivetrain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

XTR M9100 shifter - compatibility with current m800 drivetrain

Folks, do you know if I can use m9100 12/11spd shifter with M8000 drivetrain?

Does anyone also have cable pull chart and cog spacing for 11 and 12 shimano?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by silklash View Post
    Folks, do you know if I can use m9100 12/11spd shifter with M8000 drivetrain?

Does anyone also have cable pull chart and cog spacing for 11 and 12 shimano?
    which parts do you want to mix?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    which parts do you want to mix?
    M9100 shifter
    M8000 cassette /rear mech/chain

My m9000 shifter got broke and I wanna get something futureproof

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by silklash View Post
    M9100 shifter
    M8000 cassette /rear mech/chain

My m9000 shifter got broke and I wanna get something futureproof
    the 11spd setting on the M9100 is not the same as an 11spd shifter. The 11spd M9100 cassette never happened, but it was also not the same as older 11spd cassettes. And it's all designed to use the M9100 derailleur. All that 11spd setting on the M9100 shifter does is eliminate 1 shift position from 12spd. And the vaporware 11spd M9100 cassette was exactly that. A 12spd cassette minus the 51t cog.

So that leaves you with 2 choices:
    Find an M8000 or M9000 shifter for your drivetrain
    Or change everything to 12spd (depending on your wheels, maybe very expensive and/or difficult).

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    This is what i watched (this guy makes good vids), however i wanted to be sure so i needed a confirmation

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Can you? Sure. Should you? The difference in shifter cable pull is small, but present. When you're paying for marginal gains, it's odd to me to choose parts that are marginally incompatible.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=965182040

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    After watching that video....I tried it last night.
    M9100 shifter(set to 11), M8000GS der and M8000 cassette
    Yes....it does work.
    BUT....at one end of the cassette....the chain is on the edge of being on the cog( I choose that to be the 11 cog...).
    The indexing is just a small amount different.
    You need to have the cable tension perfect....and this is with new cable and on the stand or just pedaling around the yard.
    After you get some dirt in the cable and drive train..add in the movement of a full suspension bike...add in bouncing around on the trail.....who knows how it will work in the real world.

I was surprised it worked.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    After watching that video....I tried it last night.
    M9100 shifter(set to 11), M8000GS der and M8000 cassette
    Yes....it does work.
    BUT....at one end of the cassette....the chain is on the edge of being on the cog( I choose that to be the 11 cog...).
    The indexing is just a small amount different.
    You need to have the cable tension perfect....and this is with new cable and on the stand or just pedaling around the yard.
    After you get some dirt in the cable and drive train..add in the movement of a full suspension bike...add in bouncing around on the trail.....who knows how it will work in the real world.

I was surprised it worked.
    I guess your standards for "it does work" are a bit different from mine. I would say that such a setup does not work sufficiently well. Of course, someone will figure out some kind of spacer or modification to make it shift to their standards. I also do not consider such DIY mods when saying whether a setup works or not. My standard is that if it's not bang-on by just bolting the parts on and doing normal setup, then they don't work together. Of course, the reality is that this sits in some kind of gray area where it kinda works and is ripe for people who want to tinker and fiddle. I have my limits when it comes to tinkering and fiddling, and this is one of them.

If someone else wants to come up with a little adapter like a Tanpan or whatever to make a bolt-on part they can sell to force incompatible parts to work well together (there are plenty of these on the market already for various weird setups), then good for them. And certainly, it would make some level of sense to do so as there ARE people who want to make a slower transition to 12spd. But until such a part exists, I won't actually recommend doing so given my shift quality standard for what works and what doesn't.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    As far as I remember, 11S mode on the XTR 12S still utilized 12S spacing and pull ratios. You're basically just blocking off an extra shift point. Sounds like it can be made to work, but I guarantee you'll have noise and shifting problems in the real world. Might not be now. Might not be next week. But eventually, you're going to have problems. Cable tension needs to be perfect so you're at the very edge of having issues.

Why don't you just get another M9000 shifter? They're on sale everywhere and just as much XTR as the new 12S stuff is. XTR is XTR in every generation. Best materials and tightest tolerances. XTR 11S will feel better and tighter than the new XT 12S and just as good, if not better than the XTR 12S.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.