xtr 2 ring bash options- Mtbr.com
    hak
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

xtr 2 ring bash options

sorry if it's been posted, but searching for 'xtr + bash' in this forum resulted in 0 hits...

assuming i'm getting this:

(xtr 'dynasys' 2 ring setup up front)

question: can I add a bash ring be added outside the larger ring? (ie: are those hardware hiders that look removable in the pic?) will the ring fit between the crank arm and the outer ring? --- or does one have to go only 1x10 to use a bash ring?

thanks.

mtbr member
    You can if you find a chainring bolt that will fit the :harware hider" and get the right length or you can use normal chainring bolts they just won't be as purdy. Either way, you will have to use a spacer and longs bolts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My soltuion was MPR XCG bashguard.

hak
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by masm71 View Post
    My soltuion was MPR XCG bashguard.
    that would work on the bottom side... over rock/log protection for big chainring, but i'm also thinking to protect my right leg from the sharp-azz teeth of the larger chainring when the chain is in the smaller ring.

XCG: based on the pic did you mount yours pinched with the BB cup? or does your frame have ISCG '05 tabs?

The larger of the 2 rings pictured above is 38 teeth, most bash rings seem to be sized for 36 max... still looking.

mtbr member
    BBG has a 38, cheap and nice.
    Products

I would show you mine on my Yeti with the XTR 2x10 but I would have to go outside and install it and it's cold. It is going to warm up this afternoon so I will do it then...

hak
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    ah right, thanks. i was at their page last week and couldn't find it in my history, thanks. i'll look forward to your pic - seems we have similar steeds.

i see how it's cut-out to fit behind the crank arm... any info you have on the chainring bolt lengths would be a bonus. thanks.

NedwannaB

Thread hijack

How bout some help for a bashing instead of big ring on the 960 XTR series with the fixed spider arms? Trying to go 2x9 on one of my bikes with this crankset.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hak View Post
    ah right, thanks. i was at their page last week and couldn't find it in my history, thanks. i'll look forward to your pic - seems we have similar steeds.

i see how it's cut-out to fit behind the crank arm... any info you have on the chainring bolt lengths would be a bonus. thanks.
    Ok, I went out and installed it. I run it as a 1x10 using just the inside 26t ring. Seems low but I never run out of gear unless I was to just go hammer on the street. I am in the middle of my cassette the majority of the time and chain line is perfect.

I'm not sure on the chainring bolts since I just replaced my big ring with the bash.

I ran it the same way before but I just used a 32t HBC chainring I had laying around but finally got around to ordering the bash.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hak View Post
    that would work on the bottom side... over rock/log protection for big chainring, but i'm also thinking to protect my right leg from the sharp-azz teeth of the larger chainring when the chain is in the smaller ring.

XCG: based on the pic did you mount yours pinched with the BB cup? or does your frame have ISCG '05 tabs?

The larger of the 2 rings pictured above is 38 teeth, most bash rings seem to be sized for 36 max... still looking.
    I have the 40 BB (Trance '10).
    You are right, it does not protect from the teeth.
    But until now I have been hitting only my leg on the pedal's pins.
    I wear always 661 sheen guards.