Is XTR 12 speed compatible w/ Sunrace 12 speed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Is XTR 12 speed compatible w/ Sunrace 12 speed?

Is XTR 12 speed shifter and derrailier compatible w/ Sunrace 12 speed 11/50 cassette? I have this setup. It does not shift as well as another XT 11 speed setup using Sunrace 11 speed cassette on another bike. On the XTR, I have to double shift to get the chain on the largest cassette cogs. Then back down one shift after the gear change is complete. I am first going to try a Jagwire internal cable to see if it is a cable friction problem.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
    Is XTR 12 speed shifter and derrailier compatible w/ Sunrace 12 speed 11/50 cassette? I have this setup. It does not shift as well as another XT 11 speed setup using Sunrace 11 speed cassette on another bike. On the XTR, I have to double shift to get the chain on the largest cassette cogs. Then back down one shift after the gear change is complete. I am first going to try a Jagwire internal cable to see if it is a cable friction problem.
    Not exactly. There are very subtle differences between Shimano's version of 12spd and SRAM's (which is what most aftermarket 12spd stuff is based on). It sounds like folks are getting Shimano 12spd to play reasonably well with some of the higher end SRAM 12spd stuff. I'll bet that it'll never work that well on the lower end 12spd stuff like Sunrace sells because it's likely to exaggerate the subtle differences.

IMO, it's currently not worth spending money on Shimano's 12spd stuff unless you have the ability to get a micro spline freehub body for your rear wheel. Maybe eventually we'll see some of the aftermarket companies make HG+ friendly cassettes, but I'll bet that's going to be awhile, especially considering how slowly Shimano is rolling out micro spline licenses (seems to me that there's a good chance it's part of a strategy to manage demand given they had some production issues for awhile).

mtbr member
    What chain are you using? In your position I'd use a SRAM chain

Per Harold's response:
    1. peeps have success with SRAM 12 mech & shifter & chain with the Sunrace 12-50.
    2. Peeps also have success with mixing and matching the SRAM & Shimano 12 speed parts (BUT, ONLY when matching the chain with the cassette AND matching the shifter and mech) See the Pinkbike review from a couple of days ago of XTR 12 speed for it's take on mixing and matching SRAM & Shimano 12 speed.

There's only a mm or so (0.8?) of difference in width between the cassette's. However, that can matter, hence why each OEM say that its gruppo isn't compatible with others.