Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    WAWE
    Jan 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm XTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette

No 10-42t makes XTR M9000 a loser for me.

Okay, Shimano doesn't really understand 1x yet.
    Or perhaps they do but are too stubborn to suck it up and follow SRAM.

Fine, whateverz.

Aaaanyways, I highly prefer Shimano shifters and derailleurs.... what are the chances XTR 11-speed cassettes will have the same cog spacing as XX1?

XTR derailleur/shifter + X01 cogs (because they are bad ass black)

Will it work?
    Let's start speculation yapping and rumor mongering.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Fake Rumor #1 - Mechanical XTR M9000 will not be be compatible with XX1 cogs but M9000 Di2 will be reprogrammable.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Fake Rumor #2 - Jtek will introduce a Shiftmate cable pull adapter to allow XTR M9000 to work with XX1 cogs.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    bump

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    And does a xx1 derailleur works with the xtr 11 speed cassett?

NedwannaB

Bumpitybumpbump

Quote Originally Posted by aosty View Post
    bump
    How come I didn't see this earlier and just what are you trying to accomplish my good lad?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Hi Jmac!

NedwannaB
    No SS for me now, can we still be friends? :@

COTA member
    I have ordered XTR M9000 for my Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper HT. I will run a Wolftooth 34T chain ring and the M9000 11T - 40T cassette. All the range I need for Central Oregon trails. I like how the cassette will fit on my existing hub.

FWIW I have been using XTR 1x10 with a 32T chainring and a 11T - 36T cassette w/o any problems. The 11 speed will just give a larger range with no downside.

NedwannaB

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    I have ordered XTR M9000 for my Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper HT. I will run a Wolftooth 34T chain ring and the M9000 11T - 40T cassette. All the range I need for Central Oregon trails. I like how the cassette will fit on my existing hub.

FWIW I have been using XTR 1x10 with a 32T chainring and a 11T - 36T cassette w/o any problems. The 11 speed will just give a larger range with no downside.
    So doesn't require an XD type driver? Any idea if a DT 240 will accept the cassette?

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    So doesn't require an XD type driver? Any idea if a DT 240 will accept the cassette?
    XTR M9000 does not need a new cassette driver.... advantage is no hub changes needed.

XD driver (XX1/X01) is available for DT240.... advantage is 10t cog.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So back to the OP, does anyone know yet if the xtr 11 speed shifter/rear mech will work with xx1 cassette?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbs View Post
    So back to the OP, does anyone know yet if the xtr 11 speed shifter/rear mech will work with xx1 cassette?
    Me thynx the OP should buy the stuff and see!

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    The OP hasn't seen the stuff in the wild yet.

SRAM...Shimano who cares?
    Dec 2011
    I was asking a similar question myself….I wonder if you could use a XO (10 sp), XO1 shifter and an XTR cassette? I was wondering because I foresee a XT 40-11 cassette sooner than a 1170 type.

There just is not much room for things to go once you'e gotten to 11 speeds and we know that an XO (10 sp) will handle 40t like a champ. 11sp SRAM, Shimano and Campy work just fine right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm wondering about this too....XTR11 shifter, XTR11 Rmech, XX1 cassette - you get a bigger range, the cassette is 70g lighter, clears mud better and should last longer.

I think the sprocket spacing is the same on both systems, so the questions would be:

1) Can the XTR11 rear mech go far enough out to line up with the 10T XX1 sprocket?

2) Can it cope with the extra 2 teeth over an 11-40 XTR cassette?

Looks like the release of M9000 has been delayed until mid-Oct so we probably won't find out until then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jimification View Post
    I'm wondering about this too....XTR11 shifter, XTR11 Rmech, XX1 cassette - you get a bigger range, the cassette is 70g lighter, clears mud better and should last longer.

I think the sprocket spacing is the same on both systems, so the questions would be:

1) Can the XTR11 rear mech go far enough out to line up with the 10T XX1 sprocket?

Looks like the release of M9000 has been delayed until mid-Oct so we probably won't find out until then.
    i read somewhere that the 11sp shimano has the same spacing as a 10sp and uses a 10 sp chain. The 11th cog is dished 2mm over towards the spokes to make it fit. Sram 11 sp uses a narrower spacing/chain than 10sp.

10t? Shimano Capreo / Canfield Microdrive and that Leonardi cassette went down to 9t.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ^ There are reasons why Sram onky went to 10, as friction really becomes apparent once you get smaller than 10.....well, below 11 really but the increase was too much after 10. This is something trackies know a lot about, and goes into the cog choices for front and back. They try and put something no smaller than a 14 on the back if possible.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    ^ There are reasons why Sram onky went to 10, as friction really becomes apparent once you get smaller than 10.....well, below 11 really but the increase was too much after 10. This is something trackies know a lot about, and goes into the cog choices for front and back. They try and put something no smaller than a 14 on the back if possible.
    According to the Bike radar article the 9t caused a polygon effect, pulsing at the pedals. Even the 10t supposedly needed a special cut to the teeth to mitigate the feeling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    i read somewhere that the 11sp shimano has the same spacing as a 10sp and uses a 10 sp chain. The 11th cog is dished 2mm over towards the spokes to make it fit. Sram 11 sp uses a narrower spacing/chain than 10sp.

10t? Shimano Capreo / Canfield Microdrive and that Leonardi cassette went down to 9t.
    As i understand it (based on explanation that it is possible because at higher diameters spokes are further away from the freehub) - the 11sp Shimano is wider than 10sp but fits 10sp freehub - i.e. the 11th cog sits "above" the end of the freehub, but sprocket spacing wise - they are different to 10sp.
    Also - i found at least one report that Ultegra Di2 derailleur works with X01 cassette just fine - which would indicate spacing of 1sp Shimano matches SRAM

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jimification View Post

See First Impressions: Shimano XTR Di2 & Mechanical Mountain Bike Groups for Damie's report - he uses Ultegra Di2 11sp mech with X01 cassette.

As far as your questions go:
    1) I believe the size difference between 10 and 11 cogs is negligable - and even if it was bigger, on high gears the chain is loose, so even if the cage was further, this shouldnt be an issue (if my understanding is correct)

2) See all the manufacturers of 42t cog extensions (Wolf, OneUp, General Lee) - thy all claim 42t works fine with most of the shifters (on 50% of Shimano models you need a longer B-screw). So i would assume XTR would not be any different - if road XTR works, trail XTR should probably too).

Anyways thats the option i am most likely going to try. I am also tempted by 10 speed 42t cassette, but the smallest cog would be 11t only - so this would reduce the range of the drivetrain even more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    10t does in fact lose a lot of efficiency to friction compared to 11t (and 11t is poor compared to 12t).

But for most mtb riders, the 10t will typically be used in lighter pedaling situations (slight downhills, etc.) where wind resistance and other factors will likely trump this issue.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    @kosmo - yes, i am aware - but i am not a racer, my most frequent rides is steep trails up, then nice trail/gravel dovn ..
    i dont even remember when was it last time i used 44t ring on my old bike, 34x11 was also very rare.
    I want to have 10T as kind of a minimal improvement (5kmh delta at cadence 150) for rare cases of road descent. I would survive with 11t, but if there is a better option, then i want to try it. Worst case it will cost me some money (sell XX1, get shimano freehub).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ Agreed, and sorry for the derail. I'm with you, in that I'd like Shimano shifter/derailleur/chain paired with the 10/42 gearing of the SRAM cassette.

In fact, when the first XTR bike shows up at my LBS in October, there are about 5 of us waiting to slap a XX1 equipped rear wheel into it and see how it shifts!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Btw - on the tangent - i realize Shimano could never bring cassette with 10t cog, as this would not fit into the current hyperglide freehubs. The only option seems to be using DR (hell would freeze first) - or they would introduce their own system.
    I can rather imagine they would go for larger cogs on the opposite side to compensate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ I'm still hoping Shimano comes to their senses and releases XT cassettes in 11-42!

banned
    Oct 2004
    Here's a crazy idea...
    Has anyone looked at a different diameter pulley for the XX1/X01 to get a different cable pull ratio so the rear mech would work w/ a 10spd Shimano shifter? Seems like a pretty low hanging fruit, or am I missing something?

Edit: rethunk this...not nearly so simple.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So far nobody has given a measurement that I've seen for either Shimano or Sram 11 speed MTB cassette spacing, so IMHO it's all hearsay and wild surmise so far.

What we do know:
    1. All the road 11 speed systems use the same sprocket spacing, and wheels can be interchanged
    2. Sram 10 speed road and MTB derailleurs use the same cable pull, but XX1 is different, and not compatible; I have no idea if 11 speed Sram road stuff is compatible in any way with their 10 speed road stuff
    3. Shimano 10 and 11 speed road cable pull is significantly different and RDs cannot be interchanged
    4. Shimano 10 speed road and MTB cassettes use the same spacing, but the cable pull for road and MTB 10 speed derailleurs is incompatible
    5. Rumour has it that XX1 works okay with 10 speed rear wheels, implying it uses 10 speed spacing, but with an extra cog cantilevered out over the spokes
    6. XTR 11 speed cassettes fit on 8/9/10 speed bodies, but cog spacing is unknown as yet. I'm hoping it's the same as 11 speed road, and that cable pull for Shimano 11 speed road and MTB is the same - unlikely!

Until we can measure and/or play with these things the only option is baseless speculation...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It works fine according to a recent mtbr member post.

mtbr member
    ^ Yep, according to this post #159

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...-899297-7.html

Very good news for drivetrain tinkerers and anyone who wants to customize their builds for the best set-up they might need/prefer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm less concerned with 40T vs 42T. What I want to know is, if I buy xtr cassette, shifter and derailleur, can I use existing xt 2x10 crank arms and what chain ring would I need to go 1x11. Also, will sram X11 X01 cranks be compatible with xtr? I read earlier in this thread xtr 1x11 may use 10 speed chain so that might effect crank and chainring options?

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oaklandish View Post
    ^ Yep, according to this post #159

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...-899297-7.html

Very good news for drivetrain tinkerers and anyone who wants to customize their builds for the best set-up they might need/prefer.

Sweet!

Slightly better link to post... http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...l#post11461738

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    $244 delivered is what a few locals paid for the M9000 rear D and right trigger after the good news of the XX1 cassette being compatible.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    $244 delivered is what a few locals paid for the M9000 rear D and right trigger after the good news of the XX1 cassette being compatible.

From where and have they shipped or received yet?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If I were to order the Shimano to go 1x11 with X01 Cassette, should I go gs or sgs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    GS derailleur

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm very happy to hear the spacing is the same. I also love the range and gear ratios provided by the XX1/XO1 cassette, but I MUCH prefer my previous XTR shifter and derailleur vs my current XO1. I have messed around with my shifter setup constantly since getting the XO1 group, and I just can't get it to feel as natural and comfortable as my previous XTR M980 shifter. I even thought about trying to modify the thumb lever on the XO1 shifter to allow easier access to the downshift lever. Now that it seems to be confirmed that the two systems are compatible as soon as I can get my hands on the new XTR bits the XO1 shifter and rear derailleur are coming off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Anyone else has tried it? Or New thought of how it´s been working on a longer test?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Handful on the forum reporting perfect shifting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    From where and have they shipped or received yet?

Thanks.
    Very interested to know that also.

@westin: thanks for the reply, but do you refer to other threads or this one (I´ve read completely)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    One of the riders using XTR derailleur and shifter with XX1 cassette: New 2015 Shimano XTR 1x11 - Page 7- Mtbr.com

Quote Originally Posted by artishouk View Post
    Very interested to know that also.

@westin: thanks for the reply, but do you refer to other threads or this one (I´ve read completely)

mtbr member
    Did a quick test in the stand today with a demo bike with an X01 cassette w/ XTR shifter/derailleur. Shifted through the gears no problem, didn't even have to adjust the limit screws or B-tension. Guessing based on the link above shifts fine under load no problem too but hoping to test it for my self in the next week or so. Shimano shifting with SRAM range would be a pretty sweet set-up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

XTR 11 speed with XX1

I am currently running the new XTR with SRAM and it works flawlessly and super crisp!
    My setup:
    XX1 crank
    XX1 chain
    X01 cassette
    XTR M9000 RD (GS cage)
    XTR M9000 shifter
    XTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette-20141205_081616-1024x576-.jpgXTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette-20141205_081719-1024x576-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Wow nice setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    S works crank, wolftooth dm 30t ring, kmc 10sp chain, xx1 cassette and xtr gs & shifter. Perfection.

mtbr member
    mounted rear derailleur shifter + cassette sram x01.
    it seems that everything is working fine.
    field test tomorrow.

mtbr member
    sorry...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette-xtr-mix.jpg  

uk wierdo
    Apr 2009
    Been following this thread for a while but would like to know people thoughts on being able to use a xtr triple on the front with this set up as I use the same bike for xc and road riding and would like as big a range as possible.

mtbr member
    Installed yesterday. I have only ridden it around in the local park a little but so far it feel nice. Also changed the cable routing to minimize the friction in the cables.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cbj2012 View Post
    Installed yesterday. I have only ridden it around in the local park a little but so far it feel nice. Also changed the cable routing to minimize the friction in the cables.

Hi cbj2012, looks nice! Congrats!!
    Could you tell us where did you buy them from?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Not that you asked me, but here are a few options. Coupons may or may not apply at this time:

xtr m9000* | Chain Reaction Cycles

$95 delivered xtr 9000 right shifter: Shimano XTR SL-M9000 Trigger Shifters | Backcountry.com

GS 9000 rear D: Shimano XTR M9000 GS-Rear Derailleur 11-Speed (Medium Cage) [IRDM9000GS] | Bicycles - AMain.com

mtbr member
    I got back country to price match with Chain Reaction Cycles for the shifter. Got the derailleur from bikediscount.de and the cassette and front ring from eBay.

The Dollar is getting even stronger and Shimano prices are going to drop even more in 2015 in Europe. CRC has free shipping but bikediscount unfortunately does not.

Everything came in original boxes so it was not OEM stuff or taken off bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Anybody installed 2x11 with XTR 11spd shifter/rear derailleur with XX1 cassette?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    On ebay it´s starting to appear some good deals comparables to prices on CNC. Maybe in one more month there´ll more of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Antonio Azurara View Post
    Anybody installed 2x11 with XTR 11spd shifter/rear derailleur with XX1 cassette?

thanks
    This combo should work just fine as well. You'll get slightly different chainline, but nothing out of ordinary.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

XTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette

Cbj2012 that is the exact combo I am looking at for my GT force carbon pro as well. Be real interested to hear how it goes in the first couple of rides. Subscribed.

mtbr member
    I still have not been able to ride the bike. Did you see my post about the change cable routing?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I tried it just to see. It's horrifically gappy; exactly what shimano was trying to avoid with their 11sp cassette AND crankset with 10 teeth jump. A 10-42 with 12 or 14 teeth difference in big rings (what most have) compounds the cassette gaps. In 1x a 10-42 is superior. In 2x a regular 10sp cassette is better if you don't want to spring for m9000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Antonio Azurara View Post

thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I tried it just to see. It's horrifically gappy; exactly what shimano was trying to avoid with their 11sp cassette AND crankset with 10 teeth jump. A 10-42 with 12 or 14 teeth difference in big rings (what most have) compounds the cassette gaps. In 1x a 10-42 is superior. In 2x a regular 10sp cassette is better if you don't want to spring for m9000.
    Thanks Westin for your advice.

I´m planning to use 26-36 because Shimano advise 10 teeth jump.

As described in this forum I shall use Medium Cage derailleur.

Do you believe it will work?

I want to use 26 on the mountains with a large slope or in carrousel way.

I´ll use 36 in flat roads with some easy climbs.

With this configuration I have “2 times 1X11” and I avoid change many times chainring during my trips.

In the XCC race (with 1x11) they change chainring according to the circuit profile.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

X01 Cassette with XTR9000 components works!!!

I just installed the new XTR9000 dérailleur and shifter onto a X01 cassette, KMC X11SL DLC chain, XX1 cranks with AbsoluteBlack chainring. Best shifting and gearing combo.
    I've been running XX1 two years and this combo is far better.
    As far as concerns of chain wrap, etc. you get just as much chainwrap on a cassette as XTR does on its cassette since 17 or 19 or 36, etc are the same number of teeth, diameter, and general location on any cassette, so it performs excellent and as good as the XTR cassette with XTR derailleur. Maybe the XX1 has more wrap than XTR but that is a different topic.
    Precision and feel of shifter is better and doesn't require or allow the feathering play like XX1 does between gears. XTR just clicks up and down. Only difference I noticed was a harder shift rather than a softer/silent shift. But the hard shift may actually lengthen life.
    And with the new XTR brakes it's a great clean bar too. My bike is now full Ninja with the color scheme of gray and black that the X01 cassette, KMC chain, Absolute Black ring, and XTR derailleur. You won't see me coming to pass you. Photos below.
    One complaint, but not related to XTR XX1. The chainline of XX1 cranks is 49-50mm from center. The cassette center is ~40mm from center. So when in your low/larger cogs, you have an angled chainline. But that is just a side effect of cranks pushing rings out to clear wide chain stays on wide carbon frames for wide wheels. Noise is not bad though.
    XTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette-drivetrain.jpg
    XTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette-whole-bike.jpg
    Last edited by chadadally; 02-09-2015 at 06:14 AM.

WAWE
    Jan 2004

As the OP of this thread, I would like to confirm, belatedly, XTR M9000 works great with XX1 and X01 cassettes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That looks sweet, I think I'm sold!

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Chadadally - Is that a baby StrongHold cabinet hiding back there!?

Quote Originally Posted by chadadally View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drivetrain.jpg 
Views:	3761 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	959441

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm leaning toward this setup I think, thanks aosty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has anyone used the Xtr single chainset with x0 drivetrain have u encountered some problems?

NedwannaB
    As the OP of this thread, I would like to confirm, belatedly, XTR M9000 works great with XX1 and X01 cassettes.

'Belatedly'? Really. And did I forget you had a plastic frame now? Inquiring mind.....

WAWE
    Jan 2004

Hi Jmac!
    That's a Jet and this is a RLT.

NedwannaB
    So clean!

lnd
    mtbr member

Please forgive me if this has been answered previously. I have tried the search function: has anyone confirmed that the XTR 11 spd cassette works with the XX1/X01 shifter/r. der.?

I saw a couple of posts where this was asked, but didn't seem to see any definite responses. Thx.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Chadadally, this is not a criticizism of you, but to say it shifts way better is slightly biased. You would need to compare new system to new system, not your slightly worn system with used cable/housing? Anyway, thanks for the write up, as I am sure the new XTR, IS smoother, and I hope to try it out too. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    are you running a shimano 11 sp chain or a SRAM 11 speed chain?

my new bike has XTR 1x11, and I'm really wishing I had the gear range from SRAM's 10-42

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoutside View Post
    are you running a shimano 11 sp chain or a SRAM 11 speed chain?

my new bike has XTR 1x11, and I'm really wishing I had the gear range from SRAM's 10-42

thanks!
    Running SRAM XX1 chain.

In your case you should be able to replace the cassette (assuming your hub can take XD driver) and you will have SRAM 10-42 gearing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Chadadally - Is that a baby StrongHold cabinet hiding back there!?
    Yes it is a Stronghold.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Chadadally, this is not a criticizism of you, but to say it shifts way better is slightly biased. You would need to compare new system to new system, not your slightly worn system with used cable/housing? Anyway, thanks for the write up, as I am sure the new XTR, IS smoother, and I hope to try it out too. Enjoy!
    Not sure where I said any of this was used? I used the XX1 that was new and stock with this bike. Then I purchased new XTR dérailleur, new XTR shifter, new KMC chain, new X01 cassette, new Absolute Black chainring, and the new cable and housing that came with shifter. So it was a new to new comparison from experience, and as of today the broke in to broke in experience is also better. So in short the XTR is better than the XX1, in my opinion, new and used. But I have not used the XTR cassette. So no judgement on that just the dérailleur and shifter. It's better on the SRAM cassette than SRAM is, new or worn. Guess I didn't change the crank arms but really...it's still a fair new to new and worn to worn comparison. Plus I have used XX1 for over a year, the XTR shifting is hands down superior in performance, now that I have used it for a month. Not even a hesitation even under load. No popping under load like SRAM.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by chadadally View Post
    Not sure where I said any of this was used? I used the XX1 that was new and stock with this bike. Then I purchased new XTR dérailleur, new XTR shifter, new KMC chain, new X01 cassette, new Absolute Black chainring, and the new cable and housing that came with shifter. So it was a new to new comparison from experience, and as of today the broke in to broke in experience is also better. So in short the XTR is better than the XX1, in my opinion, new and used. But I have not used the XTR cassette. So no judgement on that just the dérailleur and shifter. It's better on the SRAM cassette than SRAM is, new or worn. Guess I didn't change the crank arms but really...it's still a fair new to new and worn to worn comparison. Plus I have used XX1 for over a year, the XTR shifting is hands down superior in performance, now that I have used it for a month. Not even a hesitation even under load. No popping under load like SRAM.
    Sounds like a legit comparison to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My M9000 derailleur showed up today and it just oozes quality. I sold off my XX1 derailleur and shifter, bought the M9000 set brand new and put about $40 in my pocket. I didn't really have any complaints with the XX1 derailleur or shifter but I do slightly prefer the action of Shimano. Side by side the XX1 derailleur seems cheap and plasticky in comparison. Only complaint with M9000 is that the clutch switch is plastic now instead of anodized ALU.
    Last edited by max_lombardy; 03-04-2015 at 06:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Another satisfied customer here - I am running 2*11 22/32 on a 29'er. I started with XTR shifter, der, cassette and chain.

Ran it for a week or two and then put a 10-42 X01 cassette on. I think it might actually shift better than the XTR cassette. Also the XD driver for my DT Swiss hub was 25g lighter and the cassette was 70g lighter for a nice 4oz weight savings too.

Did a big mountain ride last weekend and the shifting and gear range were sweet.
    611% gearing ratio.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm happy to see that this setup is working well, and I've ordered the parts. I was initially drawn by the possibility of mounting the xtr shifter to my i-spec b xtr brakes. Of course, Shimano needed yet another i-spec, so that won't work. Oh well, at least I explored it before ordering a new i-spec shifter!

I'd initially planned to go with the One-up/Radr Cage setup, but then I got a great deal on a set of wheels with an xd driver, so I made the jump.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think you shall not use less than 26 with 42. Otherwise you can damage your rear hub. I read this information in many places.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I ran 22/40 using a wolftooth cog on a DT Swiss hub for almost the whole of last season and didn't have any problems. The freehub splines weren't even marred.
    I weigh 200lbs and ride big climbs every weekend. So there's a data point.
    I did destroy a Novatec rear hub before that but IMO it was a terrible design with a pressed in freewheel holder that wasn't pinned or anything and it started slipping on me.

Due to traction and cadence, I'm not sure you actually put the highest torque into the cassette when you are in the little ring, I would think you actually see higher real world loads with a bigger front ring when you are desperately cranking into it at low climbing speeds.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm running this set up and for the most part am happy but I have a KMC chain. Seems loud. Any thoughts?

What is everyone else running?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

42/28 Chain Rings With XTR Front Derailleur?

Is anybody running 42/28 chainrings with a XTR front derailleur (mechanical or Di2)? Or some combo of chainrings with a bigger than 10-tooth difference? The front derailleur is only spec'd to have a 10-tooth difference. I'm interested in running a SRAM crankset that I already have with Rotor 42/28 chainrings that I also already have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP5 View Post
    Is anybody running 42/28 chainrings with a XTR front derailleur (mechanical or Di2)? Or some combo of chainrings with a bigger than 10-tooth difference? The front derailleur is only spec'd to have a 10-tooth difference. I'm interested in running a SRAM crankset that I already have with Rotor 42/28 chainrings that I also already have.
    If you need gearing range that wide, you had probably better stick with 3x10. It might be doable but the shifting performance will be crap

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Just ordered a wolf direct mount ring for my race face cranks. Their ring is 49mm chainline instead of the 51mm that race face and shimano use. I think this will be better in the larger cogs regardless of using a sram or shimano cassette. I dont get why shimano uses this chainline with a 1x11. Will report my findings.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I was told that the Shimano CN HG900 chain should work/shift smoother than the KMC X11SL chain. I will give it a try for sure.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Heard the shimano chain wont play nice with a sram cassette

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hhm dunno? A guy in a german forum tried both, KMC and Shimano chains and he liked the Shimano way better.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    This is what I read about shimano chains and sram cassettes:

I would stick with a SRAM chain as long as you use the SRAM cassette. I really noticed this with the SRAM XG-999 cassette, the Shimano XTR chain caused a lot of damage to the teeth on the big alloy cog, and it would jump off the big cog on backpedal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I started with the Shimano chain and the KMC 11 speed link on my x01 cassette. I was having sporadic issues where the chain would hop and I spent a ton of time trying to get it right. I've been installing and setting up my own derailleurs for years so I don't think it was me.

Long story short I threw on a Sram xx1 chain and all problems went away instantly. So while I can't say it with absolute certainty it feels to me that the Shimano chain is a bit more temperamental with the x01 cassette. Enough so that even if I spent more time trying to get it right I wasn't terribly wild about consistency over the long run in the field.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I know this is slightly off topic, but has anyone tried using a XTR 11 speed rear derailleur with a XTR 10 speed cassette and 10 speed shifter? My current rear derailleur is broken and I'm wondering if I can replace with 11 speed to prep for future 11 speed conversion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by K9-Usurper View Post
    I know this is slightly off topic, but has anyone tried using a XTR 11 speed rear derailleur with a XTR 10 speed cassette and 10 speed shifter? My current rear derailleur is broken and I'm wondering if I can replace with 11 speed to prep for future 11 speed conversion.
    Yes, that should work. I am running an XT 11-36 10 speed cassette with Wolftooth 16t and 42t cogs, XTR 10 speed shifter and XTR M9000 11 speed derailleur and it works great. Shifts better than my previous 10 speed XTR derailleur with a Rad cage. I don't know how adjusting for a narrower range cassette will affect the shifting since the 11 speed derailleur is designed for 11-40, but I expect it would be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I was actually running a 10 speed XTR rear derailleur with the Radr cage when the derailleur wrapped around and ended up inside my wheel (breaking a few spokes in the process). Ironically, this happened cruising up Hines Mill in Demo, as opposed to flying down a DH. Made me question using these ghetto style 1 x 42 conversions. I have a long cage 11 speed xtr rear derailleur on order. Hoping for the best!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the reply. I was actually running a 10 speed XTR rear derailleur with the Radr cage when the derailleur wrapped around and ended up inside my wheel (breaking a few spokes in the process). Ironically, this happened cruising up Hines Mill in Demo, as opposed to flying down a DH. Made me question using these ghetto style 1 x 42 conversions. I have a long cage 11 speed xtr rear derailleur on order. Hoping for the best!
    Before you install a new $200 derailleur on your bike, make sure you put on a brand new derailleur hanger (if you haven't already). Take your time setting the limit screws and dialing in the shifting, it'll pay off in the long run.

On a side note, I tried a 10 speed XTR shifter on an 11 speed M9000 derailleur and an XX1 cassette just for shits and it didn't index correctly. May or may not have worked on a 10 speed cassette though.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It seems like it usually is a climb when a catastrophic derailleur-wheel munching happens, the cage is at its closest to the spokes and it doesn't take as much of a problem for it to happen. I haven't seen it on a 1x10 yet, but it is almost always caused by debris or something getting bent and/or a derailleur adjustment problem. The most recent one I witnessed was a 3x9 and the rim cracked under the rim strip all the way around the wheel and caused enough wheel flex that it grabbed the derailleur on a short steep climb. If you are already running an 11-42t cassette then you should be fine with the M9000, I am guessing you needed a new hanger?, and get the limit screws dialed in. One question though, why are you going with a long cage? The GS cage is plenty for an 11-42t 1x10 setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

XO1 cogs, M9000 RD and shifter, KMC 11 speed chain. Works for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by VonFalkenhausen View Post
    It seems like it usually is a climb when a catastrophic derailleur-wheel munching happens, the cage is at its closest to the spokes and it doesn't take as much of a problem for it to happen. I haven't seen it on a 1x10 yet, but it is almost always caused by debris or something getting bent and/or a derailleur adjustment problem. The most recent one I witnessed was a 3x9 and the rim cracked under the rim strip all the way around the wheel and caused enough wheel flex that it grabbed the derailleur on a short steep climb. If you are already running an 11-42t cassette then you should be fine with the M9000, I am guessing you needed a new hanger?, and get the limit screws dialed in. One question though, why are you going with a long cage? The GS cage is plenty for an 11-42t 1x10 setup.
    I was running 1x10 (11-42) and spinning in the 3rd largest cog (32T maybe?) when the derailleur wrapped. I get that there are many factors that could contribute to the derailleur wrapping around, though I didn't notice my hanger being bent prior to the crash. As far as why long cage? I didn't do tons of research... just assumed I should probably go long cage since that's what was necessary to get the 42T working with 10speed setup. Also, considering Shimano didn't anticipate folks going to 42T, seemed safer to go with the long cage.

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Slightly off topic, but I'm switching a bike over from 10-speed XT to 11 speed XTR, with the XTR derailleur and cassette (not SRAM) and a KMC X11SL chain - and for some reason, the chain and the top jockey pulley do NOT seem to want to get along. Doing some internet searching brought me here where I see several folks pairing the X11SL and the M9000 derailleur. No similar problems? The upper jockey pulley has taller teeth, but not the narrow/wide that I've seen on the SRAM 1x derailleurs, which was the first thing I thought. While it shifts okay, it's noisy and nowhere near smooth, since the jockey pulley seems too wide for the narrow plates of the KMC chain. Any thoughts on this? Will probably try a 10 speed chain to see how that works, but just surprised that this combo doesn't work for me, I've been running KMC chains with Shimano drivetrains for a while now.

If it matters, it's a RF cinch crankset with a Wolf Tooth spiderless ring.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have the same set up and the KMC chain didn't work with the shimano stuff. It was noisy. I switched to an XTR chain and its all good. Why would you go to a 10 speed chain with an 11 speed drivetrain?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I was running 1x10 (11-42) and spinning in the 3rd largest cog (32T maybe?) when the derailleur wrapped. I get that there are many factors that could contribute to the derailleur wrapping around, though I didn't notice my hanger being bent prior to the crash. As far as why long cage? I didn't do tons of research... just assumed I should probably go long cage since that's what was necessary to get the 42T working with 10speed setup. Also, considering Shimano didn't anticipate folks going to 42T, seemed safer to go with the long cage.
    I am running a GS (medium) cage M9000 with my 11-42t setup, a medium cage is generally the recommended configuration for 1x10 and I am very happy with it. There is no need for a long cage, it is just more exposure to damage and slightly less chain wrap in the small cogs with no benefits over a medium cage. If you were running a RADr cage previously, then you were effectively running a slightly shorter than medium cage. And the RAD cage only works with medium cage derailleurs. The long cage will work, but I would swap it for a medium cage if possible before installing it.

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would try the 10 speed chain because it's wider and the problem that is causing the noise is the upper jockey pulley seems too wide for the 11 speed KMC chain. I don't have an XTR chain on hand (yes, I can order one) but I do have many 10 speed chains on hand.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast