XTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    No offence or anything personal at all, but that is one weird looking bike. Those lefty forks always trip me out. You must bomb a lot of XC trips?
    He posted on a different thread that it weighs 22.5 pounds with dropper post, so who cares how weird it looks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche4 View Post
    anyone try the one up 45 rear on the new xtr?
    At the top of this page there's a pic of the xx1 cassette with the 44t and XTR rear see.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I saw that, I should have rephrased my question, I meant using the xtr rear cassette and the on up 45 t ring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Same here - I've done about 1000km in dry weather conditions on my XTR / XX1 setup without issues.

• The force required for downshifting has increased over time, and upshift is pretty cluncky - everything was a little smoother when first setup. Could be due to the coating of the lined inner cable wearing out.
    • In the past, XTR was always a lot smoother than SRAM's shifting. But now it seems to be the other way around. The tension of the derailleur clutch probably plays some part in Shimano's system.
    • Another thing I'm not that fond of is the very long lever throw required for downshifting compared to SRAM. Especially when in the middle of the cassette you like to downshift four gears at a time to the 42T, my thumb slipped off the lever a couple of times. SRAM let's you shift five gears at a time, shorter lever throw and less force required.
    • XTR HG-900 chain has less play sideways compared to the XX1 chain. As a result, as of 32T all the way to 42T in the back, the chain becomes noisy. Switched back to an XX1 chain, issue solved.
    • I've been running the XTR FC-M9000 1x11 crank with a 30T chainring. When applying torque riding uphill, you can clearly hear the chain engaging and disengaging from the tooth due to their specific profile everytime you push down the pedals.

Currently I'm in the middle whether or not seting up my new bike with XX1 all the way. It seems to me that SRAM's design is very well executed for 1x11. Compared to XTR it runs quieter and smoother ... when it works. Initially there was a lot of cassette creaking and derailleur clunking, gripshifts failing, etc. But the newer 2.1 components seem to have these issues fixed.
    Thanks for the long term report. I'm about to do something similar: XTR m9000 GS rear derailleur + XT m8000 11 sp shifter + Absolute Black Oval 32 + X01 10-42 cassette + XX1 chain.

Are other folks who have done the XTR m9000 rear + XX1/X01 cassette combination still happy with their drivetrain? How has it been shifting to the big cogs under load and how is the durability/chain wear compared to previous setups? It seems like folks are having more luck with XX1 chains instead of Shimano - are there any other lessons learned here?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've been using X01 cassette with Shimano XTR chain, RD, FD and shifters. I have ridden it hard this season starting in May, and often climb with quite a bit of torque in the 22/42 combo, and I am in the 32/42 combo all the time. And I weigh 190lb without gear.

It has been working wonderfully for me I love this setup. Shifts great in all directions. Just for the record, the front shifting is the best I've had in 25 years too. No noise that I notice. I had been using 2*10 with a wolftooth cog (but no goat link or cage) and I was not happy with that setup, so I do have standards.

I'm extremely happy with this setup, and due to our amazing weather this year its really seen a ton of riding. 620% gear range, light weight, perfect performance. The only downside is the still expensive cassette.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Interesting that Niner has gone the other way this year and is using XO1 RD with XT cassette on the new RIP 9 and Air 9. If I was spending $6700 for an XO1 spec bike I would want the XO1 cassette and not the new 440g XT 11-42 cassette. Must work fairly well though if they are going to spec their bikes like that. Personally I'm looking to go the other way on my XC bike and change it up like this thread with XTR RD and XO1 cassette.

mtbr member
    4 months in my Pivot Les Fat and perfect shifting. 26T NW with 64bcd gives perfect chain line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lewis17web View Post
    Interesting that Niner has gone the other way this year and is using XO1 RD with XT cassette on the new RIP 9 and Air 9. If I was spending $6700 for an XO1 spec bike I would want the XO1 cassette and not the new 440g XT 11-42 cassette. Must work fairly well though if they are going to spec their bikes like that. Personally I'm looking to go the other way on my XC bike and change it up like this thread with XTR RD and XO1 cassette.
    Yeah, to me that makes no sense. Worst of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lewis17web View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if more bike manufactures go down that route since the cost savings are pretty substantial (>$150 savings on the cassette + no need for a XD freehub driver).

I'm planning to do the same as you... I made the mistake of ordering an XT m8000 11-42 only to realize the huge weight difference compared to the XX1/X01 cassette. I ordered an XD driver + X01 cassette and the XT 11-42 is gonna go on eBay.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So I just went with an XTR 1x11 set up on my XC bike and went with the XT 11-42 cassette,...I was quite surprised that the XTR shifter limits down shifts to one at a time. My XTR 3x10 and 2x10 set-up will allow me to cassette dump up or down a few gears at a time but not so with the XTR M9000 11x shifter we just installed. Is there another shifter that allows this perhaps or did the XTR 11x go backwards in this feature?
    They don't design these things for clydes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by some dude View Post
    I was quite surprised that the XTR shifter limits down shifts to one at a time.
    Push instead of pull the lever, and you will downshift 2 gears at once.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    Push instead of pull the lever, and you will downshift 2 gears at once.
    Thanks, that's a little too much like the Sram method, really prefer the 10x XTR shift operation but I guess I'll be getting used to it somehow. It's going to bug me though with 2 of my other bikes having 10x XTR shifting features

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by some dude View Post
    Thanks, that's a little too much like the Sram method, really prefer the 10x XTR shift operation but I guess I'll be getting used to it somehow. It's going to bug me though with 2 of my other bikes having 10x XTR shifting features
    So how is the new xtr so far?

mtbr member
    I have 2x10 XT on one bike and 1x11 xtr on the other. I switch back and forth with no problem. But I use thumb and forefinger on XT. XTR is better with thumb/ thumb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche4 View Post
    So how is the new xtr so far?
    Haven't had it out on the trail yet, might get a nice long XC climbing and bombing run on it Sunday though. I am noticing some minor chainline issue in climbing gears with a RaceFace Next SL 3x crank running an Absolute Black 34 in center position with bash ring outer. I have a bad habit of back pedaling 1/2-full stroke when transitioning right to left getting my outside left foot down for railing a corner and a backwards full stroke in the top 2-3 climbing gears will jump the chain down 2-3 gears but then recover as soon as forward pedaling happens. It's a bad habit on my part and seems to be fine in the smaller gears. I let the LBS talk me into running the XTR chain as it's supposed to be asymmetrical/directional for best shifting on the XT 11spd cassette. I'll probably try KMC SL chain next go around though as I'm not seeing the asymmetrical qualities on the XT 11spd chain.

As for progression in the XT 11spd cassette over a 10spd with 40 or 42 big ring and 16 subbed for 15/17, the 11spd definitely feels better and shifts better than even a mid caged XTR rear der with RAD cage upgrade. I'm hoping it's that extra edge I'm looking for with a longer range ride that will allow me to climb without spinning out on the downs. I also just went to a 2x10 XTR on a Salsa BearGrease Carbon from a 1x10 and it just works so well, don't like the weight/complexity of the 2x or 3x but the versatility and ability to grab a quick climbing gear is nice!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    150 miles later, I'd say that I like my XTR M90x0 drivetrain and its XX1 chain and cassette. Quite a few bike mechanics like me are doing the same or will be with the introduction of the XT M8000 since S*** products are rubbish. The XTR works so well, both on and out the stand.

It works well and it's reliable, unlike the other S company. I'm using a 30T NW chainring from OneUp with a XX1 chain and cassette and I'm loving it. Though I'd like to buy an Osymetric NW chainring.

XTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette-img_1359.jpgXTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette-img_1367.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by euskafreez View Post
    150 miles later, I'd say that I like my XTR M90x0 drivetrain and its XX1 chain and cassette. Quite a few bike mechanics like me are doing the same or will be with the introduction of the XT M8000 since S*** products are rubbish. The XTR works so well, both on and out the stand.

It works well and it's reliable, unlike the other S company. I'm using a 30T NW chainring from OneUp with a XX1 chain and cassette and I'm loving it. Though I'd like to buy an Osymetric NW chainring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1359.jpg 
Views:	2837 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	1009036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1367.jpg 
Views:	4482 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	1009037
    Any reason why you're being cagy with the brand names? Asterisks, "S company".....it's OK dude, it's a bike forum =).

I think I need to try my XTR/SRAM cassette setup with the XX1 chain. My M9000 RD is super friggin' stiff when I try to hand-turn the cranks. Lots of friction somewhere, all the pulleys are lined up though.
    **I don't subscribe to threads. Just PM me if you have a question/comment for me. **

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any reason why you're being cagy with the brand names? Asterisks, "S company".....it's OK dude, it's a bike forum =).
    Ha I was wondering that myself, almost asked.

mtbr member
    May 2010

I think I need to try my XTR/SRAM cassette setup with the XX1 chain. My M9000 RD is super friggin' stiff when I try to hand-turn the cranks. Lots of friction somewhere, all the pulleys are lined up though.
    I don't want to hurt people too much. The S*** tech support is great, but it's a requirement when your drivetrain and brake products are rubbish.

I don't like the brand because I've worked for one of the best bike shops in Oz in the last months. It was the best of everything except when we had to deal with S***. Their price tag doesn't match the overall quality of their products. Failure after failure. No wonder why no one wants a Sram groupset on a road bike ...

You should definitively try with a XX1 chain. Two reasons for that-
    1. Working on the best road bikes, with an ex Tour's mechanic taught me one thing. You don't mix brands when it comes to chain and cassette. Sram chain on a Sram cassette and Shimano on Shimano. Same deal with Campy. Yes it works if you mix them, but the shifting performances decrease. You can tell with enough experience.
    2. the Sram 1x11 chains have been designed with a narrow wide chainring in mind. Shimano came with a different approach, I can't remember the name of their chainring technology, sorry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lots of people use Sram products season after season without failure. They are spec'd on so many bikes, people forget about how for every complaint there is there are 50 other people who are quietly and happily enjoying their product.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So what are your thoughts then on running a KMC chain with a Shimano/SRAM cassette?

I've got lots of friction with the SRAM cassette, KMC chain, and XTR derailleur. Not sure where exactly though.....
    **I don't subscribe to threads. Just PM me if you have a question/comment for me. **

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So what are your thoughts then on running a KMC chain with a Shimano/SRAM cassette?

I've got lots of friction with the SRAM cassette, KMC chain, and XTR derailleur. Not sure where exactly though.....
    KMC chains are rubbish. Big time. Only good for the cheap bastards who don't want to pay the price for a Shimano, Campy or Sram chain.

Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    Lots of people use Sram products season after season without failure. They are spec'd on so many bikes, people forget about how for every complaint there is there are 50 other people who are quietly and happily enjoying their product.
    Lots? Are you kidding me? Avid/Sram brakes can't be used season after season -they will fail, guarantee. Spec'd on tons of bike for other reasons .

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    KMC chains are rubbish. Big time. Only good for the cheap bastards who don't want to pay the price for a Shimano, Campy or Sram chain.
    Meh....sound like a paid Shimano troll. My KMC x11SL chain was $100. That's actually double the price of the Shimano/SRAM chains. How does that make me a cheap bastard? You sound misguided and jaded.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Meh....sound like a paid Shimano troll. My KMC x11SL chain was $100. That's actually double the price of the Shimano/SRAM chains. How does that make me a cheap bastard? You sound misguided and jaded.
    I speak in whites and blacks. Some people don't like that. Wow $100 for a KMC chain! I'm impressed. Don't waste your time with their products, buy a chain of the same brand of your cassette.

Not a shimano troll, I hate everything. Except old 10p campy, I like old campy . You have to understand one thing, I'm used to work on a daily basis on the best bikes, brands, products etc etc ...

When you want a trouble free bike you go Shimano -rule #1- and you don't mix chain and cassette -rule #2-.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lots? Are you kidding me? Avid/Sram brakes can't be used season after season -they will fail, guarantee. Spec'd on tons of bike for other reasons .
    First of all, all the discussion in this forum is about drivetrains. No need to bring up the tired Avid brake hate. That said, I have been using a set of XO trails for 2 seasons and they are easily the best brake I've owned (yes, I've owned XT, XTR, Hope etc etc.).

Furthermore, what you said about Sram making garbage is patently false. Statements claiming that "100% of product X will fail" or "Every X is garbage" is the hallmark of fallacious arguments. If you don't like Sram that's fine, you're certainly not the only one. Use Shimano. And if you write things like "S***" instead of Sram in order not to hurt anyone's feelings, you're better off not foolishly spreading misinformation about their products in the first place. Rant over.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I speak in whites and blacks. Some people don't like that. Wow $100 for a KMC chain! I'm impressed. Don't waste your time with their products, buy a chain of the same brand of your cassette.

Not a shimano troll, I hate everything. Except old 10p campy, I like old campy . You have to understand one thing, I'm used to work on a daily basis on the best bikes, brands, products etc etc ...

When you want a trouble free bike you go Shimano -rule #1- and you don't mix chain and cassette -rule #2-.
    You do understand that KMC makes almost every chain on every bike don't you?

mtbr member

I've used my lowly elixir 3s for season after season, without so much as needing a bleed. How do I collect on this guarantee?
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by IPunchCholla View Post
    I've used my lowly elixir 3s for season after season, without so much as needing a bleed. How do I collect on this guarantee?
    Maybe you're so fast you don't need brakes . Only the Codes are good brakes.

Take me for a fool or a troll or both if you want but I know how rubbish Sram products are because I have to deal with their s*** everyday. It doesn't work.

I remember this pro closet bike check, one with an ex pro racer, an irish guy. McCormick something. The guy knows the drill -brand new sram rubbish, doesn't work. old dura-ace works like a charm, never missed a gear. He said it all haha.

I had so much fun wrenching for the tour down under. Everyone was making of the poor riders forced to use Sram products.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    You do understand that KMC makes almost every chain on every bike don't you?
    They make what they have been asked to. Remember the time of the Sram PC69? Back then it was made in France -and it was better-, not by some useless muppets like today. So yes KMC makes chain for quite a few brands. The thing is they sell the crappy one under their name ... very clever.

mtbr member
    Maybe you're so fast you don't need brakes . Only the Codes are good brakes.

Take me for a fool or a troll or both if you want but I know how rubbish Sram products are because I have to deal with their s*** everyday. It doesn't work.

I remember this pro closet bike check, one with an ex pro racer, an irish guy. McCormick something. The guy knows the drill -brand new sram rubbish, doesn't work. old dura-ace works like a charm, never missed a gear. He said it all haha.

I had so much fun wrenching for the tour down under. Everyone was making of the poor riders forced to use Sram products.

They make what they have been asked to. Remember the time of the Sram PC69? Back then it was made in France -and it was better-, not by some useless muppets like today. So yes KMC makes chain for quite a few brands. The thing is they sell the crappy one under their name ... very clever.
    Sounds like you don't know how to set a bike up.

Complete SRAM X0 setup going strong for 3 years now

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HSracer View Post
    Sounds like you don't know how to set a bike up.

Complete SRAM X0 setup going strong for 3 years now
    Probably why I'm wrenching for pro riders ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Don't feed the trolls

mtbr member
    Oh well, after destroying my xx1 deraileur and finding out that SRAM want more $$$s for their third from top range than xtr, I switched to XT.

So it was cheaper to buy new XT shifter an dXT deraileur for my SRAM cassette than replace the RD with a low end SRAM model - good bye SRAM .

Worked flawlessly, and real happy with the shifting and quietness - XT RD is better at the 10t to 12t change and quiet running, possibly noisier in the easiest couple of gears though. XT shifter window is annoying without blank plate- will need some black tape for that.

Overall, it plays beautifully with the SRAM cassette, and you can't go past a deraileur that is half the price of the SRAM cheap version, and a third the price of the xx1 or x01 .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    XT shifter window is annoying without blank plate- will need some black tape for that.
    What does this part mean?

I agree Sram is getting a little too proud of their stuff.

dwt
    mtbr member

XTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette

Wow. Guess I stumbled into the S*** hate thread. Feeling like a bit of an idiot with my Frankenbike 1X10: Wolf Tooth direct mount 30T on S*** X9 spiderless crank, X0 type 2 mech, PG 1070+General Lee 11-40 cassette, KMC chain, Elixer front brake; XT rear brake. Now that I know my bike doesn't work; maybe I'll have to switch to road bike full time. But no, S*** Red drivetrain is shyte and doesn't work either. Guess I'll have to buy all new bikes from Oz speced with Shimano before I ride again, though I can always ride my SS off road and my fixie on road, soon as I swap the KMC chains of course

Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    This is going nowhere

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Oh well, after destroying my xx1 deraileur and finding out that SRAM want more $$$s for their third from top range than xtr, I switched to XT.

So it was cheaper to buy new XT shifter an dXT deraileur for my SRAM cassette than replace the RD with a low end SRAM model - good bye SRAM .

Worked flawlessly, and real happy with the shifting and quietness - XT RD is better at the 10t to 12t change and quiet running, possibly noisier in the easiest couple of gears though. XT shifter window is annoying without blank plate- will need some black tape for that.

Overall, it plays beautifully with the SRAM cassette, and you can't go past a deraileur that is half the price of the SRAM cheap version, and a third the price of the xx1 or x01 .
    Usually you'll find the the cover plate behind the shifter window. So you do have to remove the window in order to access the cover plate.

@dwt I feel sorry for you. I had 4 guys coming in my shop today with a broken force and red rear shifter. The exact same problem. Both were approximatively 4-5 years old. I laughed so much! I had a blast of a time. I showed those guys a box full of sram junk ... Their ridding buddies on Campy and Shimano were laughing so much.

I speak in blacks and whites. But don't get me wrong on one thing, Sram products are not reliable. Maybe one day they will improve their drivetrain products the way they have improved Rock Shox over the past 10 years.

Sram has a fantastic customer service and an even better tech support. But they have to ... How many times does a mechanic has to contact Shimano for tech support?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Again, if you have something worthwhile to contribute to the thread regarding mixing Shimano dérailleurs with Xx1 cassettes feel free to chime in, otherwise take your discussion elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    What does this part mean?

I agree Sram is getting a little too proud of their stuff.
    You used to be able to remove the shifter window ( the thing that lets you see what gear you are in) and there was a blanking plate behind it, that you then install to block off the hole left - it's no longer a part of the shifter and is a seperate part order. The window is a pita because it gets in the way of some positions with the brakes

mtbr member
    You used to be able to remove the shifter window ( the thing that lets you see what gear you are in) and there was a blanking plate behind it, that you then install to block off the hole left - it's no longer a part of the shifter and is a seperate part order. The window is a pita because it gets in the way of some positions with the brakes
    Ok gotcha. I personally like the indicator

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It'd be useful but people wants matchmakers and clean looking bars. Hence is why the indicator is an option when it used to be the standard not long ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    OK, I goofed up and totally had a brainfart installing my chain. Always make sure you put the chain on the correct side of the XTR plate!!

XTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette-p6r70f0h.jpg

Also, I've ordered an XX1 chain since I run the X01 cassette. I liked the gold chain, but I'm not finding shifting to be that great with X11SL.
    Last edited by chrisingrassia; 08-27-2015 at 11:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

joining the club...

So I just swapped out my XT 2x10 setup and replaced it with:
    SRAM X01 XG-1195 10-42T cassette
    Shimano XTR m9000 GS rear derailleur
    Shimano XT m8000 11 speed shifter
    Absolute Black Oval 32T 104 BCD
    SRAM XX1 chain

I only had a chance to do a quick backyard spin and so far so good... can't wait to hit the dirt!

XTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette-1x11_instagram.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Got my XX1 chain set up on the X01 cassette and M9000 derailleur. Made a world of difference. Everywhere the KMC chain failed the XX1 chain excelled. Shifting is crisp now, and it even shifts down from the 44T to the 36T where the KMC chain was missing that cog completely.

Hate to say it, but euskafreez was right in my experience.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Got my XX1 chain set up on the X01 cassette and M9000 derailleur. Made a world of difference. Everywhere the KMC chain failed the XX1 chain excelled. Shifting is crisp now, and it even shifts down from the 44T to the 36T where the KMC chain was missing that cog completely.

Hate to say it, but euskafreez was right in my experience.
    All good g.

Fixing bikes is not a hobby of mine, it's my job. Always a pleasure .

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hello euskafreez,

I own a Pivot 429sl with a XTR shifter/derailer
    SRAM XO1 10-42 cassette, Raceface Next SL crank, Raceface 28 chainring
    XTR Chain

I've got about 500 miles on this set up overall I'm pleased with the shifting. It shifts fine except coming up from the highest gear 10 tooth up I have to hold the shifter a little longer to get the shift up.

After reading your posts about never mixing the chain and cassette it's got me thinking this could be the problem?

My question is would it be OK to install a new SRAM chain on my 500 mile drivetrain that had a Shimano chain?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic85 View Post
    Hello euskafreez,

I own a Pivot 429sl with a XTR shifter/derailer
    SRAM XO1 10-42 cassette, Raceface Next SL crank, Raceface 28 chainring
    XTR Chain

I've got about 500 miles on this set up overall I'm pleased with the shifting. It shifts fine except coming up from the highest gear 10 tooth up I have to hold the shifter a little longer to get the shift up.

After reading your posts about never mixing the chain and cassette it's got me thinking this could be the problem?

My question is would it be OK to install a new SRAM chain on my 500 mile drivetrain that had a Shimano chain?
    Just check how stretched your chain is, as long as it is below .70mm of stretch it should be alright.

Although I'll start with the length of your current chain. Since you got a fully it has to be done properly. Business as usual, the alignment of the derailleur hanger has to be top notch but I've found out that if your chain is slightly too long there is an issue with the 10T cog.

Regarding the XTR chain, I do think from what we saw at the shop that the 11sp Shimano chains don't work so well with a narrow wide chainring. And with a xD cassette it lacks lateral flex.

So yes, give it a go to a XX1 chain or any 1 by 11 chain from Sram.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thank you euskafreez I will check the chain length and derailer hanger. I'm probably due for a new chain soon so I'll try the XX1 chain. Thanks again

mtbr member
    Euskafreez: couple of questions for you ...

Do you think there'd be much of a difference between the XX1 and XO1 cassettes? But otherwise same setup - XTR Rd and XX1.

Also, why did you decide to go with the SRAM cassette over the XT 11-42? Weight? The 10T?

Thanks
    Jon

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If I'm not mistaken, the XX1 and X01 cassettes, other than finish, are exactly the same. Both listed at 268g on SRAMs site.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    Do you think there'd be much of a difference between the XX1 and XO1 cassettes? But otherwise same setup - XTR Rd and XX1.
    Tough question. Pretty hard to tell the difference, they do perform the same. The finish is different though ...

Also, why did you decide to go with the SRAM cassette over the XT 11-42? Weight? The 10T?
    I live and ride in the mountains and I was looking for the best gear ratio as possible. Maybe with a 11-45 XTR cassette I'll go back to Shimano. The 10T helps for sure. But before buying any XTR M90000 cassette I want to be sure it won't creak on the biggest cogs like the Dura-Ace 9000 does.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    does anyone tried the other way around? since XT came in 11-42, I'm thinking to run a XT cassette with X01 RD and shifter

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bapesta View Post
    does anyone tried the other way around? since XT came in 11-42, I'm thinking to run a XT cassette with X01 RD and shifter

thanks
    If you scroll back you'll see it's been mentioned. It will work and some manufacturers are spacing that

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bapesta View Post

thanks
    If you scroll back you'll see it's been mentioned. It will work and some manufacturers are speccing that mix for cost reasons. Seems to me like the worst of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

You could always mix cassettes, why is that any different now. Loosing the 10 cog is not a deal breaker to me

Pedaling
    Last edited by rjedoaks; 09-16-2015 at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I prefer more lows than the high, I can live with the 11t and save some dough

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Who's trued a Xtr 11-40 m9000 cog modified with with any of the new 44 or 45 cog conversions from one-up or the like? Any first hand comparisons to the XX1 cogs and xtr shifter/derailer combo rigs that seem to be the go to in this thread?

Id love to keep all of the XTR drive line including the chain and rear cogs but modify them to get the range. It looks like there are no real cost differences in XX1, X1, and XTR at this point in the game? Everything has a street value of $250 ish. The one-up 45 tooth mod would add $75-$100 to the equasion but while eliminating the XD hub speciffic to the xx1 cog set.
    Last edited by LORENZ; 09-19-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Ski during the off-season
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    Another satisfied customer here - I am running 2*11 22/32 on a 29'er. I ... then put a 10-42 X01 cassette on.
    How has this been running for you? Did you use a medium (GS) or large (SGS) rear derailleur?

mtbr member
    Just finished my first ride with xt8000 shifter and derailleur with an xo1 10-42 cassette and i liked it better than all xo1.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by journey View Post
    How has this been running for you? Did you use a medium (GS) or large (SGS) rear derailleur?
    Yeah it continues to run great. I love it. After 25 years of mountain bikes I finally have perfect gearing. Definitely have to use the long cage derailleur though.

unrooted
    Has anyone attempted to use a 10speed derailleur with a 11 speed shifter and cassette?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Has anyone attempted to use a 10speed derailleur with a 11 speed shifter and cassette?
    Yeah, when I was waiting on my 11sp derailleur to arrive I tried with different combinations of SRAM and Shimano and it was off. The cable pull ratios are too different

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, when I was waiting for my 11sp derailleur to arrive I tried with different combinations of SRAM and Shimano and it was off. The cable pull ratios are too different

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    After my 11sp XTR derailleur clutch failed, I used my old XT with a OneUp Radr cage. I'm still using it. XTR 11sp shifter; X1 cassette.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am looking at doing transitioning to a Sram/Shimano setup with one Caveat. Has anyone used a shimano rear Derailleur with 11 speed Sram gripshift? I broke my right wrist several years ago and it has turned me into a user and fan of the grip shift. I just don't know if the two systems are compatible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Shifter and der. needs to be the same brand. Cassettes can be mixed

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Shifter and der. needs to be the same brand. Cassettes can be mixed

Pedaling
    Thank you for the information. That makes things easier

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Guys

I'm considering new 1x11 setup and truerly consider XT-XTR mix (42XT casette and XTR chain).

If i stay with this setup (keeping in mind in future 45T should work also) than can You tell me which parts should i rather change to SRAM/Other. The label doesn't matter - rather better quality and culture of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Placek View Post
    Guys

I'm considering new 1x11 setup and truerly consider XT-XTR mix (42XT casette and XTR chain). If i stay with this setup (keeping in mind in future 45T should work also) than can You tell me which parts should i rather change to SRAM/Other. The label doesn't matter - rather better quality and culture of work.
    The "focus" on this thread (if one could ever say a thread stays on focus with 250+ postings ;-), is on using Shimano drive train (XTR/XT shifters, crankset, derailleurs, etc.) with an SRAM 10-42 cassette. Many on this thread prefer Shimano as a whole and have commented on how Shimano parts are more robust and have superior trigger shifters.

If you have already decided to go with a Shimano cassette, it may simpler to use an entirely Shimano drivetrain. Also, if you want a 2x11 or 3x11 drive train and plan to use a Shimano 11-spd cassette, going all Shimano (XT 11-42 cassette and XT/XTR for the remainder) may be the easiest choice.

The only reason to go with an SRAM product is if you have a preference for one of their products / capabilities. For example, some prefer grip shifters over trigger shifters, or they prefer the SRAM style trigger shifter. In either case, if you go with SRAM shifters, you have to go with a SRAM rear der. If you want a cassette with 10-42 range, then you will need to go with SRAM cassette and it is recommended that you go with an SRAM chain as well.

So in summary:
    - Cassette & chain should match (SRAM or Shimano)
    - Rear shifter & rear derailleur should match (SRAM or Shimano)
    - 10-42 range cassette -- go with SRAM
    - 2x11 or 3x11 -- go with Shimano shifters / derailleurs / crankset

One other point to consider, is that there other wide range cassettes in the works -- on MTBR.com there is an article on "e*thirteen EXP cassette with 9-44 teeth", which uses the SRAM XD drive hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    1 important news for me "Shimano parts are more robust and have superior trigger shifters" - so for rider comfort this is quite important

Casette - it's no difference if that will be 10-42 or 11-42 so in that case i assume no valid advantages Sram>>Shimano XT ?

I definitely stay with 1x11 so here Shimano advantage (of 2x/3x drive train) vanish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Casette - it's no difference if that will be 10-42 or 11-42 so in that case i assume no valid advantages Sram>>Shimano XT ?
    10t vs 11t differences aside (yes it's 1 tooth but it's a 10% gearing difference so you get a notable gearing range benefit IMO), the SRAM XX1 or X01 cassettes are 200g+ lighter than the XT 11-42t but they cost over twice as much and also require an XD driver for the hub. So if $$ is a factor, definitely go with XT, otherwise the SRAM cassette is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    And this is what i wanted to know.

Quote Originally Posted by burndtjamb View Post
    10t vs 11t differences aside (yes it's 1 tooth but it's a 10% gearing difference so you get a notable gearing range benefit IMO), the SRAM XX1 or X01 cassettes are 200g+ lighter than the XT 11-42t but they cost over twice as much and also require an XD driver for the hub. So if $$ is a factor, definitely go with XT, otherwise the SRAM cassette is the way to go.
    burndtjamb - I should have mentioned the points about weight (i.e., XT 11-42: 445g and XX1 10-42: 260g / X01: 275g / X1: 315) and price point (i.e., SRAM being 2X-3X more expensive than XT).

Placek - Depending on the size of the chain ring, the extra tooth can make a difference. I can run a smaller chain ring and not have to worry about running out of top-end speed on the flat / downhill sections. Plus the smaller chain ring gives me more clearance.

Having said that, I did leave out the decision points on price / weight for the cassette / hubs (XD hubs are slightly lighter), and that the SRAM cassettes require an XD compatible hub -- if you are buying new wheels / hubs, getting an XD compatible hub is not usually a significant cost. If you have to convert existing hubs to XD, then you will pay an extra $100-$200.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My xd freehub was $55. New and on sale. I can see why the 100 to 200 dollar freehub conversion would set many back. Had no idea the xt 11-42 was a big fat pig. Of all my xx1 and x01 cassette most of the x01 weigh less than my xx1 by a few grams. Also paid considerably less for the xx1 thanks to a racer parting out his new gear on ebay when switching to shimano. Cassette was $105. Don't think I could afford new 11 speed stuff otherwise, and didn't want to go with aftermarket cogs.

On an unrelated note the new xtr di2 especially in 2x makes my 1x obsolete. That front derailleur and the programmable shifting all from just the rear trigger is mind blowing and makes me wonder how I ever got along with just 1 chainring up front. Kidding. Can't wait for sram's wireless drivetrain to be mtb available.

mtbr member
    so if the xtr RD works the XT m8000 RD should work as well right?
    I plan on using an x1 cassette mated with an XT m8000 RD and XTR shifters.
    sorry noob question..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes, it will work! I'm using xt 11speed RD and shifter with a SRAM GX 11 speed cassette. Smooth shifting!

mtbr member
    thanks man!..excited to get this going

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Guys
    My LBS advise me that 9000 GS woon't worki with 42T (they support themselves with official Sh site).
    Should i be concerned?

Formerly of Kent
    Your LBS is wrong.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yep, they are wrong.

mtbr member
    Guys
    My LBS advise me that 9000 GS woon't worki with 42T (they support themselves with official Sh site).
    Should i be concerned?

Shimano website and their technical documents do say that it is incompatible with a 42t but they published an updated revised version that now says it is. If you're tight with the bike shop you could bring them up to date by showing them this-2015-2016 SHIMANO Product Information Web

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks so much - this is what i needed.

Btw - what is the difference in XTR cranks - 9000-1 and 9020-1 - is it Q-factor - (158mm vs 168mm) , and weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Sram Shimano sifter-derailleur mix

People are reporting success in running sram shifters with shimano rear derailleurs in 11 speed as you can see here:

Test kompatibility SRAM GX a Shimano Deore XT M8000 1x11

So I guess you can mix shifter with derailleur after all without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by okusare View Post
    People are reporting success in running sram shifters with shimano rear derailleurs in 11 speed as you can see here:
    Test kompatibility SRAM GX a Shimano Deore XT M8000 1x11
    Interesting. Anyone else tried this? I thought there were some previous posts from others who unsuccessfully tried to mix Shimano & SRAM / shifters & RD's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonggo View Post
    Yes, it will work! I'm using xt 11speed RD and shifter with a SRAM GX 11 speed cassette. Smooth shifting!
    Looking at running a similar setup, when you back pedal on the 42 does the chain drop down?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny View Post
    Looking at running a similar setup, when you back pedal on the 42 does the chain drop down?
    No chain drop when back pedaling, but my bike is a hard tail.... Does that matter?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No chain drop when back pedaling, but my bike is a hard tail.... Does that matter?
    Lot of users reporting chain dropping down from the 42 with XT cassette when back pedaling, so wondered if it happened with a GX or not. Not much of a big deal just wondered if t still occurred if things were mixed! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Took out freshly installed XTR w/ XX1 cassette/chain for the first time yesterday. Was a bit nervous about the mixed group, but shifting was fast, smooth, and quiet. Really glad I didn't settle for an 11-40 XTR or 450g XT cassette.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVV View Post
    Took out freshly installed XTR w/ XX1 cassette/chain for the first time yesterday. Was a bit nervous about the mixed group, but shifting was fast, smooth, and quiet. Really glad I didn't settle for an 11-40 XTR or 450g XT cassette.
    Good news. Thanks.
    I have the exact components but haven't installed them yet. Winter project ...
    The low weight of the XX1 cassette was what attracted me too - otherwise have always preferred Shimano XTR.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks so much - this is what i needed.

Btw - what is the difference in XTR cranks - 9000-1 and 9020-1 - is it Q-factor - (158mm vs 168mm) , and weight?
    Difference in Q-factor. On my Cannondale Scalpel (full suspension), I can only use the wider Q-factor crank. Weight difference is negligible.

mtbr member
    So going 1x11 10-42 we can use a gs derailleur.....

But what if we want to go 2x11 24/34 10-42? Would i have to use a long cage or can the mid cage still work?
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slideways666 View Post
    So going 1x11 10-42 we can use a gs derailleur.....

But what if we want to go 2x11 24/34 10-42? Would i have to use a long cage or can the mid cage still work?
    Long cage IMO . is this for a 29'er or vertical climbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macduff View Post
    Long cage IMO . is this for a 29'er or vertical climbs
    yes... for vertical climbs with a 29er... Though ill be getting di2 and use syncroshift.. So cross shifting shouldnt ever happen cause the computer will now allow it..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    Not sure if this has been posted here yet but this is a great addition for those (myself) running XTR 11 with SRAM 10-42 cassette. I know it's pretty much a perfect combo anyway but this can only make it better

GoatLink 11 ? Lindarets

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Not sure if this has been posted here yet but this is a great addition for those (myself) running XTR 11 with SRAM 10-42 cassette. I know it's pretty much a perfect combo anyway but this can only make it better

GoatLink 11 ? Lindarets
    Hang on, are you actually using this? I think this very thread was talking about the GoatLink several pages back, but at the that time I think Lindarets only had the 10s option out there. Are you using this? If so, please give a review. I'm using the 10-42 cassette with OneUp 44T sprocket and M9000 RD, so I was curious how this GoatLink could perform for me. Let us know!

mtbr member
    Hang on, are you actually using this? I think this very thread was talking about the GoatLink several pages back, but at the that time I think Lindarets only had the 10s option out there. Are you using this? If so, please give a review. I'm using the 10-42 cassette with OneUp 44T sprocket and M9000 RD, so I was curious how this GoatLink could perform for me. Let us know!
    I have not used it.
    I've ordered it, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have not used it.
    I've ordered it, though.
    Well I'm certainly curious to hear your thoughts once you get it on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    This thread is great news for me. I hope to put together an SRAM 10x42 cassette with a Shimano M8000 RD (long cage) and Shimano 105 FD and Rotor 53 & 38 chainrings. Shimano says their 42 is only good with 1x11 however reports on this forum are all positive. Will I run into any problems with this (touring) setup? (Yes, I do have a MTB so I qualify for this forum. :-)) If I have to upgrade to XTR or change out the FD or chain (KMC X11) that is fine at this point in construction.

Goat Wrangler
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Haxle View Post
    This thread is great news for me. I hope to put together an SRAM 10x42 cassette with a Shimano M8000 RD (long cage) and Shimano 105 FD and Rotor 53 & 38 chainrings. Shimano says their 42 is only good with 1x11 however reports on this forum are all positive. Will I run into any problems with this (touring) setup? (Yes, I do have a MTB so I qualify for this forum. :-)) If I have to upgrade to XTR or change out the FD or chain (KMC X11) that is fine at this point in construction.
    Haxle,
    You'll have to keep an eye on your rear derailleur's tooth capacity (see Shimano's published specs for your model/cage) and run a mountain shifter- but otherwise it should work.

Marc

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Marc,
    Yes, M8000 long cage Shimano rates at 47 teeth which is exactly what I have (cassette:32 plus chainrings: 15); and I really like bar end shifters so will have to splice in a Jtek Shiftmate. Why are double chainrings not supported by Goatlinks? (Though I have no clue at this point as to whether or not one would be needed.) Thanks for the reply.
    -Franklin

Goat Wrangler
    Feb 2015
    Haxle,

Because the M8000 long cages weren't in the US until very recently, we haven't had the chance put as many miles as we'd like on the GoatLink 11 with a double. Now that they're trickling out, we're looking at it, but want to make sure that it works in the real world as well as on paper. If you're on a rigid bike, though, I would say that it should work very well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Well I'm certainly curious to hear your thoughts once you get it on.
    I did a brief write up and included a link to a video comparison of the Goatlink 11 here: http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...l#post12388134

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by burndtjamb View Post
    I did a brief write up and included a link to a video comparison of the Goatlink 11 here: http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...l#post12388134
    Just checked that out. Thanks!

Maybe I'm not an astrophysicist, but I didn't notice any difference between the stock and the GoatLink shifting in the video.

Then again, I'm running the X01 cassette with OneUp 44T sprocket, so I just can't decide if this is necessary for me.

Marc Lindarets - thanks for your direct emails! Post up a video here of your 10-44 setup with the goatlink. I'd like to see it in action.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just checked that out. Thanks!

Maybe I'm not an astrophysicist, but I didn't notice any difference between the stock and the GoatLink shifting in the video.

Then again, I'm running the X01 cassette with OneUp 44T sprocket, so I just can't decide if this is necessary for me.

Marc Lindarets - thanks for your direct emails! Post up a video here of your 10-44 setup with the goatlink. I'd like to see it in action.
    Don't worry, no astrophysicist degrees need here! The video basically proves that the stock setup (w/ 42t) works fine without a Goatlink 11. And as you noticed, the video also shows that the Goatlink 11 doesn't provide an obvious, step function improvement over stock, which is just what Lindarets/Wolftooth advertise. From my own experience, the Goatlink 11 helped clean up some of the up shifts into the smaller cogs where I would experience a bit of hesitation w/ the stock B knuckle. Also, from the video, the multi-down shifts to the lower cogs w/ GL11 appears to be smoother than stock. But I guess all of this doesn't really help answer your question about the 44T... I'm also hoping Wolftooth/Lindarets can make a similar (and way more pro) video

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Nah the Goat Link is fine. Not for every bike though. I'd say not for every rear suspension design. You might need one if you can't have a perfect crisp shift between the 10 and the 12T. Assuming you have the required tools and skills to tune a derailleur to the perfection.

Even if you don't, the Goat Link makes it easier. I have few in stock at work, just in case. Used it only one time for a lad with a FSR suspension design. Which was no surprise since my Norco had about the same issue at first. We usually chop the chain of one link with shimano 11sp rear mech and Sram 10-42 cassette in case of this scenario.

But I'd definitely go with a goat link if I was using chainrings of different size from time to time, more margin on the chain is required to do so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'll be hoping that Marc posts up a video here of his 10-44T setup using the Link.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Can someone help me identify the problem? I have a new 2016 Trek EX 9.9. I had the shop install the new sram xx1 10-42 cassette, goat link 11 with XTR rear derailleur. Also switch the front chainring (30T slightly worn Absolute Black oval I had another bike). Cranks remained the same which are next SL. New XX1 chain. Shifting seems fine however there is some drivetrain noise at the cassette. The mechanic is a really good one and I have been using him for years. It is almost like the chain is slightly rubbing on the adjacent cog. He thought maybe derailleur hanger was tweaked a bit, but his tool to fix was not available. Visually I don't see it. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Can someone help me identify the problem? I have a new 2016 Trek EX 9.9. I had the shop install the new sram xx1 10-42 cassette, goat link 11 with XTR rear derailleur. Also switch the front chainring (30T slightly worn Absolute Black oval I had another bike). Cranks remained the same which are next SL. New XX1 chain. Shifting seems fine however there is some drivetrain noise at the cassette. The mechanic is a really good one and I have been using him for years. It is almost like the chain is slightly rubbing on the adjacent cog. He thought maybe derailleur hanger was tweaked a bit, but his tool to fix was not available. Visually I don't see it. Any ideas?
    It might be related to what is discussed in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/sram/xx1-28t-...ng-873075.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Has me boggled. If I listen close to the cassette it has a slight scraping noise on each revolution. If I use my hand and add a little outward tension on the top chain, it stops. It would leave me to think that something is a hair out of alignment. Hanger? Can't imagine it is the swing arm or axle.

mtbr member
    Might just be the chain angle

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    First call would be to change the chain, not because of the noise but just that I find they wear too quickly and consequently wear everything else in your drive train.

Noise? Does it happen in every gear or just some of them?
    If so which ones? Any delay in shifting at either end of the range, both up and down?
    Finally, I am sure that you have checked, but is the hanger mounting bolt fully tight and at correct torque and derailleur bolt fully tight and at correct torque (only asking beause I have seen/ heard this when a derailleur bolt was not fully seated even though it was not moving due to Loctite. Literally out by quarter of a turn).
    Hope that 2 cents worth helps.
    XTR Di2 :thumbsup:
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1
    #weareone #stagescycling #9point8ca #rideshimano #pocsports

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It is a brand new chain. I will check derailleur hanger tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Might sound stupid, but have you played around with the cable tension for the rear derailleur?

mtbr member
    Most reliable smooth shifting chain to use with this setup..
    sram / kmc / shimano..??
    I do try..!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I was not pleased with the KMC X11SL chain on this setup. Went back to the XX1 chain and a noticeable shift difference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    KMC SL11 Ti-N or DLC (depending on your budget)
    Shimano HG900 11 speed

I personally do not recommend SRAM chains as I feel that they wear faster and wear everything else in the drive train faster. I do not know why this is the case but it appears to be from experience. XX1 chain that came with the bike possibly one of the fastest wearing chains I have ever had in 25 years.

I am ordering the Linderets Goat Link 11 to see if their claim of making XTR/ XX1 cassette even better is true. I'll report back once I have run it for a bit.
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1

The wisdom from earlier pages seems to be that it is best if the chain manufacturer and cassette manufacturer should be the same.

I have a couple hundred miles on a SRAM chain. Will see if it wears faster than the KMC's that I was running with my 2x10.

mtbr member
    Funny thing I noticed, after reading most people's views on chains with this set up I was browsing Giant's website last night and noticed all of their bikes run full sram drivetrain's but all use KMC chains..!!
    What does that say about sram chains.... you tell me...!!
    I do try..!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondave View Post
    As large buyer of components, Giant is able to get better pricing on KMC chains as compared to SRAM chains. I wouldn't use the Giant's example as a sign of one component is better than another.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    That makes no sense as a large buyer who is already buying a shit tin of SRAM parts GIANT get preferential pricing on SRAM items like chains that are cheaper than KMC anyway. They are therefore speccing KMC chains to either be different or because they are better (I am voting for better as that is what my personal practical experience has shown).
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondave View Post
    Funny thing I noticed, after reading most people's views on chains with this set up I was browsing Giant's website last night and noticed all of their bikes run full sram drivetrain's but all use KMC chains..!!
    That says that Giant could source KMC's for a couple of cents cheaper than SRAM chains. Every single component on a bike is scrutinized for price vs. perceived value, who looks at the brand of the chain when purchasing a new bike?

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    That says that Giant could source KMC's for a couple of cents cheaper than SRAM chains. Every single component on a bike is scrutinized for price vs. perceived value, who looks at the brand of the chain when purchasing a new bike?
    Chains are important. Without it the bike can't move.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Buying KMC chains in bulk makes a LOT of sense. You have bikes with SRAM drivetrains, you have bikes with Shimano drivetrains. Do you want to buy both brands or just one brand in bulk? Even a few cents on volume matters. Economies of scale...

Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Chains are important. Without it the bike can't move.
    I guess you haven't seen a downhiller ride a course with broken chain before? ;-)

The Mud Stud
    I've been thinking of making this dive on my Santa Cruz 5010, mixing a sram xx1 10-42t cassette with an XTR GS size rear derailleur and 30t front chainring. Is this a good setup that will work? I thought initially that it would but some of the posts in this thread have given me some pause...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yes it is a good setup that will work. I've been running 22/32 with a long cage XTR derailleur and X01 10-42 since early last season and not only does it work great I am still on the original cassette and Shimano chain.
    I've never been happier with my gearing.
    I recently added the Goat Link but I can't say I really noticed that much difference, it might have improved coming off the 10t by 5%.

NedwannaB
    Yes it is a good setup that will work. I've been running 22/32 with a long cage XTR derailleur and X01 10-42 since early last season and not only does it work great I am still on the original cassette and Shimano chain.
    I've never been happier with my gearing.
    I recently added the Goat Link but I can't say I really noticed that much difference, it might have improved coming off the 10t by 5%.
    Curious. I thought you couldn't run a big cassette on a 2x, even with a long cage.

Do tell....
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just recently installed a goatlink 11 on my set up. I too have a sram 10-42 cog set with Shimano shifter and derailleur. Shifting from 10 to the next cog then back is better with the goatlink 11. Before, there was some hesitation either when going up or down the two mentioned cogs. The goatlink fixed that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have been running XTR Di2 with the XX1 cassette (and Dura-ace chain) for six months and the shifting is excellent. I don't often get onto the 10T as most of my riding is either up or down steep technical trails. I run a 32T Absolute Black Oval front and the entire system feels smoother than the XX1 it replaced (but the XX1 was very finicky as far as B-Tension was concerned). I will be adding a Goat Link 11 just because they claim to improve shifting efficiency and see how that goes.
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Curious. I thought you couldn't run a big cassette on a 2x, even with a long cage.

Do tell....
    Nothing to tell, after all Shimano sells it with a 11-40 XTR and 11-42 in XT, its not that big a jump. Considering they are now announcing a 46t it sounds like they designed it that way from the beginning. I wonder if the goat link is more about the 10t vs 11t than what's on the other end.

The only other thing I would add is it shifts like a boss. I've got the new side swing XTR FD up front and have never missed a shift up and down. I'm extremely torn on the idea of putting electronics on my bike, but its a lot easier to ignore the siren song of Di2 when this system works so well. 620% gear range, and yes I often use it all in the same day here in Washington.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Guys.
    Any recomendatiins reg XX1 caswttw and XTR 11s shifter.
    Does it matter at all or is just personal/money factir. (leaning towards KMC DLC)

The Mud Stud
    So, referring to my previous post, 10-42 cassette and 30 or 32t chainring on an xtr rear derailleur, do I need a gs short cage or an sgs long cage for this to work?

~ B A D A S S ~
    most likely med or long cage if talking mtb.

look in the manual or specs for the rd on the site it will state max cog. get the shortest that will do the job.

short road rds will do 28 on a road bike and about 30 on a mtb and sometimes even a 32. since the hangers are in different sports on road bikes and mtbs.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    @ Dirt Bringer GS model derailleur works perfectly with XX1 cassette without needing any extra b-tension screw etc. SGS only required if you are running a triple front.
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1

The Mud Stud
    So I've got an x01 Cassette on order, and was wondering, how do you work out chain length for this specific setup? I've got a Santa Cruz 5010 with a 28t narrow-wide chainring, and will be using XTR GS rear derailleur and xt or xtr shifter. Eventually I'll probably step up to a 30 or 32 tooth chainring but in the interest of saving money at the moment I intend to stay with 28. Any issues I'm going to run into here?

mtbr member
    For your setup 1x single, I would go big cog to big cog then add 4 links.

XTR 11-speed shifter/derailleur with XX1 cassette-image.jpeg
    I do try..!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Best way for future bigger cog

Ignore the standard ways of big big and add links. If you want the most chain for future bigger rings simply wrap the chain around 10t, through derailleur, and around smallest chainring you plan to run. Then remove links until the chain gets the derailleur to move forward and chain is not slack. That way you have the longest acceptable chain for your shortest setup. You will have enough chain for a 34t still. I run a 30t and a 36 T all with same chain. Only adjust the b screw for better shifting between setups.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chadadally View Post
    Ignore the standard ways of big big and add links. If you want the most chain for future bigger rings simply wrap the chain around 10t, through derailleur, and around smallest chainring you plan to run. Then remove links until the chain gets the derailleur to move forward and chain is not slack. That way you have the longest acceptable chain for your shortest setup. You will have enough chain for a 34t still. I run a 30t and a 36 T all with same chain. Only adjust the b screw for better shifting between setups.
    Except this way you have not accounted for chain length at full suspension travel in one's lowest gear. Admittedly I cannot think of a trail situation where I would use full travel when in 42-32 but I would still set my bike up to account for at least 1/2 - 2/3 travel in that gear.

Then, as per every full suspension bike set up guide in the world, take the time to remove the lower shock bolt, drop shock out of the way of the rear triangle/ linkage and move the rear wheel through travel to check that the derailleur is not going to get over extended (think hyper extension of the knee if it bends backwards too far). They all say to check derailleur stretch at full suspension travel. That is how many links one should use.
    In all these forums there is too much focus on the 10T, the exact gear that gets used almost none of the time if one is riding technical trails. Sizing the correct chain length is about not destroying the rear derailleur due to suspension action whilst riding off road.

For those that don't want to go through the process and have an XL Nomad 27.5 the correct number of links for a 32T chain ring, on an XX1 or XTR GS rear derailleur, is 112.
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

XX1 cassette, chain, chainring + XTR RD/shifter excess friction in the 42t

I did the shimano switch after reading about all the success in this thread. I'm shifting well but in the 42t there seems to be excessive drag when pedaling the drivetrain forward slowly, or pedaling backward. This is the case no matter where I have the b-tension. I have the Newest XTR RD, rd-m9000 medium cage.

I'm on an IBIS HD3, 142mm back end.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBikeGuide View Post
    I have been running XTR Di2 with the XX1 cassette (and Dura-ace chain) for six months and the shifting is excellent. I don't often get onto the 10T as most of my riding is either up or down steep technical trails. I run a 32T Absolute Black Oval front and the entire system feels smoother than the XX1 it replaced (but the XX1 was very finicky as far as B-Tension was concerned). I will be adding a Goat Link 11 just because they claim to improve shifting efficiency and see how that goes.

mtbr member
    Made the switch today. Pretty happy with it, shifts great. Need to sort out crunchy chainring though :/
    2019 Salsa Horsethief
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Update: I have installed the Lindarets Goatlink 11 (GoatLink 11 ? Lindarets) and the slight change in length and angle means the pulley wheel can run closer to the cassette cogs all the way through the range (ie slightly more chain wrap) and the shifting is a more crisp. Not life changingly better but noticable even with the precision of Di2. Certainly probably means a slightly longer life for cassette and chain.
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikfrut View Post
    I did the shimano switch after reading about all the success in this thread. I'm shifting well but in the 42t there seems to be excessive drag when pedaling the drivetrain forward slowly, or pedaling backward. This is the case no matter where I have the b-tension. I have the Newest XTR RD, rd-m9000 medium cage.

I'm on an IBIS HD3, 142mm back end.
    Sounds like your chainring is a few millimeters off from the frame (towards the outside). Maybe a bad chainline?

Edit: I answered too soon. Where is the drag coming from? Pulleys? Chainring? Cog?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just wanted to post my experience here. I found this thread quite useful when piecing together a drivetrain recently.

My setup is XTR900 GS r. derailleur, SP41 housing, fancy new polymer cable and SRAM GX 10-42 cassette.

Initially, I was using my (properly sized) XT Sil Tec 11speed chain with the above set up and the shifting was surprisingly bad. It basically "worked" but it would hesitate and stutter here and there. I couldn't get perfect shifting in both directions, particularly in the middle to bottom of the cassette. I was worried that it was the fact that I'd bought the "cheap" GX cassette with it's seemingly lesser construction.

So I bought a Goatlink 11. This might have helped a bit, but the stuttering hesitation remained. Again, totally usable, but not quite what I wanted out of my expensive purchase.

Next, I removed the Shimano 11 speed chain (basically brand new, clean and lubed) and installed a SRAM GX chain. Problem solved. XTR-level shifting. No more hesitation and remarkably quieter in the big cogs where chainline is not ideal.

I was quite surprised that the chain made such a difference. In the past I've never seen any real difference in shifting mixing and matching SRAM and Shimano chains and cassettes.

Well done SRAM. I'm becoming (grudgingly!) a fan.

mtbr member
    I've already posted this before in this or another thread : the SRAM chain has a lot more play sideways, almost double of the XTR.

Put the chain parallel to the end of the table, hold down the end with your thumb and take 8 links and move away from the edge untill you can't move any further. Do the same with the XTR chain, notice the difference in distance you can move?

mtbr member

I gave up on the XTR 11 speed because of the stiffness of the shifter. It shifted fine. Just required more pressure than my 10 speed XT.
    I'll probably sell the shifter and derailleur to anyone that makes me a decent offer.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    There is a RaceFace Turbine Cinch crank set currently installed with Shimano 11speed sprocket.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoTQmV3A4R4

Backpedal issue was really bad, it took 1/4 turn for the chain to drop 3 rings down

Since then I installed One Up 4mm spacer with 18t cog (18T Sprocket + Spacer [ 1x11 ] - OneUp Components US) , and removed 17 and 19t cogs. Backpedal improved but I want to improve it further!

Question 1: So I read up that Atlas cinch crank set has a chainline of 48.5mm vs current Turbine Cinch 51mm. So is that correct , if I replace Turbine cinch with Atlas it will give me additional 2.5mm of chainline?

Question 2: If this is correct, would Garbaruk.com 28tooth 47mm chainline or Wolftooth 49mm oval cinch chain ring will give me additional mm inwards? Link here:
    Race Face Cinch Melon - Direct Mount - Oval Chainrings
    Direct Mount for Race Face Cinch, boost chainring ? wolftoothcomponents.com

Question 3: Do I need new Bottom bracket or existing Turbine bracket is good for Atlas Cranks?

mtbr member
    ^try one of the cinch rings first before a new crank, much cheaper and should have the same effect as the change in the cassette!

Ridin' dirty!
    18 pages all pretty much stating sram cassettes work with shimano derailleur and shifters. Can anyone tell me if XTR 11spd cassette works with SRAM 11spd. Derailleur and Shifter? Don't want to upgrade my freewheel body or wheels. Thanks.

"Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Gonna try X01 with xtr M9000 but which chain to use...right know I have xx1 RD and Campa Record chain..sram original chain was terrible...after changing to campa records the sifting smoother but still not perfect I have pretty good mehcanics but sill not sharp and smooth gear change. I did my wifes scott scale full XT M8000 and the shifting is perfect and crisp...
    So which chain?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Try the Campa chain and let us know how the shifting works. From what I've heard on 11 speed you can use Shimano, Sram, Campa, or KMC 11 speed chains. Personally I'm running XTR M9000 rear derailleur and shifter with an X01 cassette and the shifting has been great with Dura Ace and Ultegra 11 speed chains. The Dura Ace chain snapped on me during a race and the shop replaced it with an Ultegra chain. I can't tell the difference in the shifting so the only difference must be just a few grams and $$.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks Stonerider...will report...cause really dont wanna use sram chain...campa chain really did improvement on shifting....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    So no luck with campy record chain with Absoluye black oval chainring...here is some proof:
    https://static4.album.ee/files/1180/...07585_OqZT.jpg

Used it and workes peefectly with X01 cassette and XX1 derailleur...

So which chain....HG900 xtr or Sram XX1?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've ran both the XTR chain and the PC71 SRAM chain. I can't say I noticed a difference although I might give a very slight edge to the Shimano chain (using a blackspire front big ring, unknown small ring). This is with X01 cassette and shimano derailleurs. However the Shimano chain requires fixing the chain by pressing in a replacement pin rather than a quick link, which isn't that bad as long as you have stocked up on the replacement pins beforehand. However - I've never had to fix the Shimano chain in the field but after install you have to break off the extra length of hte pin. In the shop you just cut it with dykes or fail it using pliers, but I've always wondered how difficult it would be to break that stub off on the trail using a rocks or something. Also you are not supposed to be able to cut and reassemble the chain without these pins. That is the main reason I went to the SRAM chain. YOu can either wrestle the master link off (which I've done many times but is very difficult without tools, in the field, with grease or rain) or just cut and shorten the chain with the breaker.

mtbr member
    I'm using xx1 chain with x01 cassette, absolute black oval and xtr mech.
    Always used kmc chains, but after reading all the posts here I chose to try the sram xx1..!!
    So far it's all been flawless only time will tell on longevity..
    I do try..!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Did it!
    Xtr derailleur/shifter
    X01 cassette
    Sram direct mount front chainring
    XX1 Crank
    XX1 Chain

Will see...tonight is the cruising time with almost 2000 cyclist in Estonia https://m.facebook.com/tallinnbicycl...=page_internal

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've ran both the XTR chain and the PC71 SRAM chain. I can't say I noticed a difference although I might give a very slight edge to the Shimano chain (using a blackspire front big ring, unknown small ring). This is with X01 cassette and shimano derailleurs. However the Shimano chain requires fixing the chain by pressing in a replacement pin rather than a quick link, which isn't that bad as long as you have stocked up on the replacement pins beforehand. However - I've never had to fix the Shimano chain in the field but after install you have to break off the extra length of hte pin. In the shop you just cut it with dykes or fail it using pliers, but I've always wondered how difficult it would be to break that stub off on the trail using a rocks or something. Also you are not supposed to be able to cut and reassemble the chain without these pins. That is the main reason I went to the SRAM chain. YOu can either wrestle the master link off (which I've done many times but is very difficult without tools, in the field, with grease or rain) or just cut and shorten the chain with the breaker.
    About as easy to break off the extra pin section as it is to open a master link (especially 11 speed) without pliers. You are still breaking the chain to remove the damaged link with a chain tool anyway. I have "emergency" pressed a Shimano pin and re-inserted it with the chain tool to get home. Can't say I would trust it to stand up and hammer on the gears but it works to get one home or back to the car.

I have moved back to XTR HG-901 chains as I had two KMC SL11 Ti-N chains (from the same batch) fail within 8 days of each other. Got thrown off the bike both times with some minor injures as a result. A few choice trail side expletives let me tell you especially when the second one failed. Perfect and new drive train in every other aspect. Third chain from same batch on shelf waiting for RA from KMC
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    So...first cruise with xtr/X01 was flawless...pretty smooth...to be 100% satisfied...have to by Goatlink 11...but still it's night and day compare to XX1 shifter and der.

mtbr member
    I've been running the XTR/XX1 set up for a couple of weeks and overall pretty happy. Shifts are very fast and for the most part precise.

Initially I had some issues moving out of the 2 smallest cogs but taking a link out of the chain solved that. As others have said here, chain length is crucial.

Shifting into the 42 cog is never a problem, and shifting down the cassette (from largest cogs to smallest) is very fast.

Overall it has that refined XTR feel that we all love (the shifter feel itself is perfect) but I'm not convinced the shifts themselves are 100% as smooth as it could be so at some point over the summer I'm going to pick up an XTR cassette and OneUp 45T. I already have the Dura Ace/XTR chain. Gains an extra 140 grams or so but curious to see if it's more smooth.

My set up (and some pics if you're interested in the instagram link below):

XTR RD
    Goatlink 11
    XTR crank arms
    OneUp 32T ring
    XX1 cassette
    XX1 chain

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've been running the XTR/XX1 set up for a couple of weeks and overall pretty happy. Shifts are very fast and for the most part precise.

Initially I had some issues moving out of the 2 smallest cogs but taking a link out of the chain solved that. As others have said here, chain length is crucial.

Shifting into the 42 cog is never a problem, and shifting down the cassette (from largest cogs to smallest) is very fast.

Overall it has that refined XTR feel that we all love (the shifter feel itself is perfect) but I'm not convinced the shifts themselves are 100% as smooth as it could be so at some point over the summer I'm going to pick up an XTR cassette and OneUp 45T. I already have the Dura Ace/XTR chain. Gains an extra 140 grams or so but curious to see if it's more smooth.

My set up (and some pics if you're interested in the instagram link below):

XTR RD
    Goatlink 11
    XTR crank arms
    OneUp 32T ring
    XX1 cassette
    XX1 chain
    I have the Goatlink 11 and I think it makes a bit of an improvement (hard to tell as Di2 just shifts it anyway). Worth the $ as far as I can tell.
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBikeGuide View Post
    I have the Goatlink 11 and I think it makes a bit of an improvement (hard to tell as Di2 just shifts it anyway). Worth the $ as far as I can tell.
    I'm using the Goatlink 11. I never tried it without so can't compare.

The shifting is for the most part very good, very fast 85-90% of the time but there are those other times where it's a bit clunky and doesn't shift instantly, where it's lacking that Shimano refinement.

I can't help but feel this set up isn't perfect.

Workin for the weekend!
    How much longer for Shimano to release that extended range cassette? 46t 11speed?

Thought it was coming in June?
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    I ended up taking off my Goatlink 11 and found shifting to be quite a bit better without it, with the XTR rd in stock form. Quieter, much more smooth, more XTR-like shifts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    After a lot of reluctance I tried the Goatlink. My xtr shifter and rear D with xx1 cassette has been flawless for more than a year, but the marketing (mainly from company reps on this forum) and forum members led me to try it. Why not, it's an inexpensive part and my local shop said it'd be a freebie.

Gave it 15 hours of training before taking it off. Not because it was bad, but because it had zero improvement on my already perfectly set up drivetrain (always sp41 housing, clean cables, I know what the hell a b tension screw does). My drivetrains are always the quietest in the group ride and are almost di2-like quick and reliable. Maybe for some setups a goatlink is great, as the reviews said, and I don't doubt it, but for my needs & wants it was a lateral modification: no better or worse.
    If you like it, great. If not, great. Truly a first world problem.
    I ended up taking off my Goatlink 11 and found shifting to be quite a bit better without it, with the XTR rd in stock form. Quieter, much more smooth, more XTR-like shifts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Made a 45euros investment to GOATLINK...hmmm without goatlink and XTR chain...thats the system I have and its perfect right now. Shifting is very quick...yes not on all cogs but that's the X01 cassette I'm blaming...
    XX1 chain was gdmn noisy and sloppy....XTR is more quiet and works well.
    Last edited by fuzzz; 07-13-2016 at 11:17 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm seeing August 17th for the Shimano 11-46 cassette on Art's. Anyone know where you can find one sooner than that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JT79 View Post
    I'm seeing August 17th for the Shimano 11-46 cassette on Art's. Anyone know where you can find one sooner than that?
    If you are a Shimano R&D athlete or ambassador, a race team spares' box (but probably not as they have the legs to run 11-40 or 11-42T) or if you are best friends with a Shimano Rep. Mid August the official release date for lots of Shimano goodies: cassette; XT Di2; Di2 App and possibly the new ME7 and ME5 shoes.
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JT79 View Post
    Maybe you'd like to try Sun Race's version? It's now available.
    SunRace MX8 Cassette MTB 11 Speed Black Chrome11 - 46 T

I'm thinking this is better than shimano because it has 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36-40-46 and only the 46t is aluminum.

Shimano runs an 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-37-46. The 37 to 46 is a huge jump (24%) pretty much like their mega range and both the 37 and 46 are made of aluminum.
    Landed: Shimano XT 11-46 Cassette ? ChainSlap

mtbr member
    ^^ Thanks. Good point about that last jump - that's a huge gap.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    A question for those of you running the XTR RD-M9000 GS medium cage derailleur and XTR SL-M9000 shifter. How many gears are you able to dump with a strong push of the thumb lever (ie, when you hit a sudden uphill pitch)?

My current setup is the 10 speed XT shifter/ rear derailleur from 2014 and on that setup you can downshift 4 gears at once with a full push of the thumb lever, and upshift 2 gears at once with a strong index finger pull. Have Shimano retained this feature in the M9000 series? I would think it would be critical for a 1x11 drivetrain and is one reason I want to go Shimano over SRAM, but the reviews I'm reading only talk about a "double" downshift and make no mention of the ability to do more with a strong thumb lever push.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ocxray View Post
    A question for those of you running the XTR RD-M9000 GS medium cage derailleur and XTR SL-M9000 shifter. How many gears are you able to dump with a strong push of the thumb lever (ie, when you hit a sudden uphill pitch)?

My current setup is the 10 speed XT shifter/ rear derailleur from 2014 and on that setup you can downshift 4 gears at once with a full push of the thumb lever, and upshift 2 gears at once with a strong index finger pull. Have Shimano retained this feature in the M9000 series? I would think it would be critical for a 1x11 drivetrain and is one reason I want to go Shimano over SRAM, but the reviews I'm reading only talk about a "double" downshift and make no mention of the ability to do more with a strong thumb lever push.
    Yes, downshift 4 gears and upshift 2 gears. Just tried it a min ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhilado View Post
    Yes, downshift 4 gears and upshift 2 gears. Just tried it a min ago.
    Okay, just to be clear...

- You can upshift (use your thumb) and total of 4 gears (upshift to an easier gear)

However, to downshift into an harder gear...

- You can downshift with your thumb 2 gears
    - But, you can only downshift with your index finger one gear!!!! Whereas, with XTR 10speed (and maybe 10speed xt? I dunno?), you can downshift two gears!

Only being able to downshift with your index a single gear came as quite a surprise to me after upgrading from 10 to 11. A big bummer (and something often left unmentioned) in my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by K9-Usurper View Post
    Okay, just to be clear...

- You can upshift (use your thumb) and total of 4 gears (upshift to an easier gear)

However, to downshift into an harder gear...

- You can downshift with your thumb 2 gears
    - But, you can only downshift with your index finger one gear!!!! Whereas, with XTR 10speed (and maybe 10speed xt? I dunno?), you can downshift two gears!

Only being able to downshift with your index a single gear came as quite a surprise to me after upgrading from 10 to 11. A big bummer (and something often left unmentioned) in my opinion.
    That's a major bummer. I have always used my index finger to upshift and thumb to downshift. Just feels way more natural to me. Not sure why they would design it that way... kind of forces you to use your thumb for upshifts which will be a big adjustment for me. Do you know if the 1x11 XT shifter is the same way? Or can you do the double upshifts with your index finger on the XT 1x11 (XT SL-M8000)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    With the XT you can definitely doubleshift to harder gears (smaller sprockets) with your thumb only. Index can shift one gear at the time. For some weird reasons, even the thumb double shift is not working all the time for me- Even a strong push only gives one shift in some gears......
    flyMTBfish

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm still debating if my 10-44T X01 cassette and M9000 RD can benefit from this goatlink....anyone out there use this same setup and can give report?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm still debating if my 10-44T X01 cassette and M9000 RD can benefit from this goatlink....anyone out there use this same setup and can give report?
    I have used sram GX 10-44 with Shimano xt 11 speed shifter and RD with no goatlink and it worked well with our a problem. I installed a 45t with 11 speed shimano cassette on my wife's bike with xt shifter and RD, no goatlink and it also worked well with no problem..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have used sram GX 10-44 with Shimano xt 11 speed shifter and RD with no goatlink and it worked well with our a problem. I installed a 45t with 11 speed shimano cassette on my wife's bike with xt shifter and RD, no goatlink and it also worked well with no problem..
    Exactly what I needed to know. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I personally noticed no difference using the goat link on a long cage XTR RD with 10-42 X01 cassette.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12