XT/R or GX shifter and derailleur?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: omnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    43

    XT/R or GX shifter and derailleur?

    Hello everyone,

    I am currently looking at getting a groupset for my bike. My current hub only accepts Shimano cassettes so I cant choose between Sram or Shimano for that.

    I was wondering what are your thoughts on Sram's GX shifter + deraileur compared to Shimano's XTR shifter + XT deraileur? I am currently using a pair of XT m8000 brakes if that matters.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel Calf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,849
    Shimano XT/XTR shifter allows you to shift up and down several gears at once, huge advantage IMO

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,544
    Quote Originally Posted by omnom View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I am currently looking at getting a groupset for my bike. My current hub only accepts Shimano cassettes so I cant choose between Sram or Shimano for that.

    I was wondering what are your thoughts on Sram's GX shifter + deraileur compared to Shimano's XTR shifter + XT deraileur? I am currently using a pair of XT m8000 brakes if that matters.

    Thank you.
    If you're to go SRAM, I's go X01 shifter and GX derailleur.

    Not sure why people keep comparing the more entry level SRAM parts with the upper tier Shimano stuff.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: omnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    If you're to go SRAM, I's go X01 shifter and GX derailleur.

    Not sure why people keep comparing the more entry level SRAM parts with the upper tier Shimano stuff.
    Ahh isee! Sorry for comparing them wrongly. If we were to compare the X01 shifter + GX derailleur to XTR shifter + XT derailleur, which would be better and why?

    Thank you :=)

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,544
    I don't think there is a better option...just personal preference.

    Mine is SRAM. I've got a bike running a X01 shifter, X1 derailleur and another running X0. I like the way SRAM shifts. The cage lock is nice to have. Makes things like removing/installing the chain and rear wheel a bit easier. I've ridden both M8000/9000 bikes and to me...they don't feel as crisp as the SRAM shifter. Not sure why Shimano changed the feel of the new shifters...but its something I don't really like.

    Again...just my preferences.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: omnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I don't think there is a better option...just personal preference.

    Mine is SRAM. I've got a bike running a X01 shifter, X1 derailleur and another running X0. I like the way SRAM shifts. The cage lock is nice to have. Makes things like removing/installing the chain and rear wheel a bit easier. I've ridden both M8000/9000 bikes and to me...they don't feel as crisp as the SRAM shifter. Not sure why Shimano changed the feel of the new shifters...but its something I don't really like.

    Again...just my preferences.
    Ahh I see, thank you for your reply! I was thinking that there would be performance difference. Since it's personal preference between the two I'll just stick with having full shimano since the i-specc ii will keep my handle bars looking cleaner.

    I am currently running single speed on my bike, so only the groupset is missing. These should be the only parts that I need to order to complete the groupset right?

    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

    [/url]

    Thank you, anymore input in greatly appreciated.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by omnom View Post
    I am currently running single speed on my bike
    uh, silly question, but does your bike have a derailleur hanger?

    to properly do singlespeed, you need a horizontal dropout. that's how you tension the chain. bikes with horizontal dropouts generally don't have derailleur hangers.

    however, there certainly are people running singlespeed on regular frames, and some frames have special dropouts that can do singlespeed or cassettes.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: omnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    uh, silly question, but does your bike have a derailleur hanger?

    to properly do singlespeed, you need a horizontal dropout. that's how you tension the chain. bikes with horizontal dropouts generally don't have derailleur hangers.

    however, there certainly are people running singlespeed on regular frames, and some frames have special dropouts that can do singlespeed or cassettes.
    Yea it does! I was actually short on cash while building up the bike and opted to go single speed first instead of getting my groupset.

    Here is my current bike!
    XT/R or GX shifter and derailleur?-asdasd.jpg

Similar Threads

  1. 9 spd cassette with 10 spd shifter derailleur
    By peterv in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 06:32 PM
  2. XTR Shifter with Saint Derailleur?
    By Master Slater in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 08:06 PM
  3. old shifter, new derailleur
    By flankwood in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM
  4. shifter or derailleur?
    By circlesuponcircles in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 07:21 PM
  5. A new derailleur and shifter
    By amir1234 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 03:46 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.