mtbr member
    Nov 2012

XT 1x11- Anyone have experience with this?

I am most likely going to upgrade my 3x8 drivetrain to a modern set up, 1x11 is looking like a good deal at the xt level as I can get the rear derailleur, shifter, chain and 11-40 cassette for 250 to my door. Any issues with this group as far as quality or durability are concerned?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Its pretty rock solid, granted I suppose I haven't bashed it on a rock to determine if it is indeed...solid as a rock.

Have you ever ridden 1x11? I would suggest trying to find somewhere to ride with it before going to it. It isn't for everyone. Some love it, I have had others who bought it, installed it, then promptly removed it.

I think 1x11 is fantastic for XC where you have frequent up and down. Lets you drop down to a high torque climbing gear and rapidly get up to a fast descent gear with fewer shifts.

The biggest downside I have felt with it is during extended climbs. While it is certainly lighter weight having 1 chain ring vs 3, having fewer options for power spinning up a climb gets taxing. However if you stand sprint or are dealing with technical climbs where you are likely to be in a low torquey gear for bunny hopping up rocks, roots, etc? Spin-ability isn't as important, IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have not ridden 1xX yet but I have done the calculations and a 32t ring and 40t out back is the exact same gear inch I have for my granny on the 3x8 (yeah i know, my cassette only goes up to a 30t but this has been sufficient thus far). Looks like a no brainer to me, now I just have to check if my hub will take the 11s! Thanks for your opinion TS

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'm running XT 11-42 with a 32T up front. Really enjoy the range. Can be tricky to get the chainline right when on the 42, be patient while setting up. New shifter has double click downshift which is really handy. Chain life is a bit unknown at this time. Lots of people complaining but mine ok so far (1100km).

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've got the full xt group on my bike and love it after 2months, 30+ rides and 2 races. Haven't run out of gearing except for racing a friend on the road but I'm running the 11-42 Cass and 32t ring. Shifting is crisper than sram imo and you don't need the fn xd driver

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I love my 1x11 (changed from 3x9), altho I'm glad I went with the Sram driver and cassette. You get one less tooth on the small cog (10x42) and, for me, I need every bit of range that 1x11 can give. I did use the Shimano shifter and like that a lot.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm looking at this as well, I went from 3x9 to 2x9 to 1x10 (30x34) then on to 32x40 (16t and expander) with an enforced spell on single speed in between using the expander.
    Up until the spell on single speed, I was a spinner. The spell on single speed taught me to dig in and I managed to get up most of the climbs doing so.
    If you are coming from 3x or 2x to 1x I'd advise giving single speed ago for a while. I now have a dedicate single speed which I run on local trails and leave the 1x10 for the big days.
    I'm not a racer, I ride for fun. For me 1x11 will be an advantage on long days when I get tired where the closer ratios will be of benefit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by abrooks View Post
    I'm looking at this as well, I went from 3x9 to 2x9 to 1x10 (30x34) then on to 32x40 (16t and expander) with an enforced spell on single speed in between using the expander.
    Up until the spell on single speed, I was a spinner. The spell on single speed taught me to dig in and I managed to get up most of the climbs doing so.
    If you are coming from 3x or 2x to 1x I'd advise giving single speed ago for a while. I now have a dedicate single speed which I run on local trails and leave the 1x10 for the big days.
    I'm not a racer, I ride for fun. For me 1x11 will be an advantage on long days when I get tired where the closer ratios will be of benefit.
    Yeah I agree. I rode single speed as a commuter for 4 years and it really taught me to keep a good cadence and grind up the hills. Just finished my second race on my 1x11 and really, really appreciated the the 32-42 combo on the climb on lap four. It's not necessary for a quick ride on the local trail (as long as you don't live in California or Colorado etc) you'll be fine on 1x10 with a 32-36.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I actually do live in California so every single ride I do has a considerable amount of climbing haha. That's why I can't really save money and go 10s as I really do need all the range that 11s 32-40 offers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yeah do it. I'd recommend even running a 30t up front

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Anyone else having this issue? Seems like backpedaling with Narrow/Wide rings from WolfTooth or RaceFace is causing the chain to drop in back when in 40 or 42.

http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/xt-11x42...ng-992495.html

Not sure what real world issues will come from this, but disappointing. Otherwise the XT 1x11 is amazing. I had an XTR shifter with XT in back with a 1x10 setup and it just never shifted as well compared to this. Didn't know what I was missing....except for the backpedaling issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yeah I have heard of people having the same issue but seems to be due to chainline not the chainring. If you look at shimano choice of chainline with their ring and crankset its farther inboard than race face

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 612 View Post
    Yeah I have heard of people having the same issue but seems to be due to chainline not the chainring. If you look at shimano choice of chainline with their ring and crankset its farther inboard than race face
    So, Shimano is less than 50mm? That is what I have with SRAM x9 and Wolftooth.

Should have done some research beforehand.

Shimano website says 50.4 for the single ring crank. No real difference it seems

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hmm interesting. I have no problem backpedaling in the 42

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have been thinking of going 1x11 with Shimano but just using my current Shimano XT 2x10 crankset set up 1x10 with a Raceface narrow wide ring. Any issues I should expect with chainline? It seems to work fine as a 1x10 setup currently

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    I have been thinking of going 1x11 with Shimano but just using my current Shimano XT 2x10 crankset set up 1x10 with a Raceface narrow wide ring. Any issues I should expect with chainline? It seems to work fine as a 1x10 setup currently
    Do it! I converted my 2x10 XT to 1X11 using the 2X cranks and it works great. I went with a Oneup 34T narrow wide chainring because it comes with 2mm shims to help correct the chainline. I have a couple long rides on it now and it's flawless. If I back pedal in the 42 the chain does drop onto a smaller cog on the cassette, but as soon as I pedal it goes right back to 42. This is a non issue for me since I never back pedal in the 42, the only reason I know it happens is I tried it after reading posts from people complaining about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Anyone else having this issue? Seems like backpedaling with Narrow/Wide rings from WolfTooth or RaceFace is causing the chain to drop in back when in 40 or 42.

http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/xt-11x42...ng-992495.html

Not sure what real world issues will come from this, but disappointing. Otherwise the XT 1x11 is amazing. I had an XTR shifter with XT in back with a 1x10 setup and it just never shifted as well compared to this. Didn't know what I was missing....except for the backpedaling issue.
    Love how rumors spread on MTBR, some people don't know how to set up a derailleur, blame the manufacturer and bam! we have a problem

I run the widest range cassette currently available for Shimano: 11-45 using XT 1140 + 45 One-up cog, Race Face Cinch 30, XT M-8000 derailleur and XTR pod. It works flow less and I have no issue with backpedaling at all. It is true that the Race Face ring should be more inboard to have a better chain line, but it still works fine. I am getting a Garbaruk Melon 30 that is 3 mm more inboard.

11 speed is great by the way: you get 10 speed 11 to 40 and then the bail out 45 gear!

mtbr member
    I have used the XT M8000 2x11 and 1x11 i was used to sram 1x11's but i really do like it. it shifts really good, it has a very crisp action where the older XT stuff always felt a little bit numb to me. I like this drivetrain better then some of the sram stuff but i would prefer an x1 or xo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tighe View Post
    I have used the XT M8000 2x11 and 1x11 i was used to sram 1x11's but i really do like it. it shifts really good, it has a very crisp action where the older XT stuff always felt a little bit numb to me. I like this drivetrain better then some of the sram stuff but i would prefer an x1 or xo.
    I've really been put off by x1 after working on it and testing it. Don't like the squishy lever feel. And don't get me started about xd drivers

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Decided to get a new crankset for one of my bikes that is set up with XT but in 1x10. If I got the new XT 1x11 crankset would it still work with my 10spd chain? The cassette and rear derailleur are XT 10speed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Decided to get a new crankset for one of my bikes that is set up with XT but in 1x10. If I got the new XT 1x11 crankset would it still work with my 10spd chain? The cassette and rear derailleur are XT 10speed.
    Yep. 10s chain will work just fine

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Joining the club. I had a 3x8. Completed last week 1x11 xt m8000. 32t front and 11x42t cassette. Feels great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    1x11 with XT M8000/11x42 cassette and the XTR985 crank with 30T Wolftooth-chainring works great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have m8000 11-40 x 34 race face up front. Really awesome! Had to do experimenting with the driveline. I drop chains when backpedalling in 40 tooth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had been using 10sp with a 40T cog and RAD cage, XT crank/cass/der/chain and XTR shifter with a 30t round and then 32t oval ring. My cassette needed replacement, so I jumped on the new M8000 11sp cassette (11-42), derailleur, and chain, with an XTR M9000 shifter.

I've put 20 miles on it and so far I'm really pleased. The derailleur has a fair bit more chain wrap than the M786 10sp derailleur, and the clutch mechanism seems to have been redesigned. On the trail I've noticed less chain slap, and the shifting action with the clutch engaged is much softer. I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference at the shift lever between the clutch being on or off, it's that nice.

Tomorrow I'll be adding a OneUp 45T cog and 34t oval ring. That'll make my last climbing gear about 1/2 gear (6%) easier and also give me about a 1/2 gear more top end (which is what I'm really after). I'd end up with basically the same range as a SRAM 10-42 with a 32 ring, but with the Shimano feel I prefer and without swapping to an XD driver (which would cost $200 for the driver body and a new axle kit for my Hadley).

Also, I'd highly recommend springing for the XTR shifter. The price difference at somewhere like CRC or Jensen is ~$35, and the shifter is usually the longest-lasting, least crash-sensitive part of the drivetrain, and it'll have a bigger impact on shifting feel and performance than upgrading anything else.

So the short answer is, I've been impressed by the quality compared to the previous 10sp XT group. You'll be blown away coming from an 8sp. For durability, time will tell, but I wouldn't expect anything to be less durable than its 10sp version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ok guys, so it looks like my rear hub is 8/9/10 only as the 8 speed cassette I have on there now does not have a spacer behind it. Anyone know of a good / reasonably priced hub that is qr, 6 bolt and 11 speed compatible? I could also just remove the second smallest cog and spacer and run 10 out of the 11 gears (but still have the same effective gear range) correct?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Shimano's mountain 11sp groups require a standard freehub body, so they're backwards compatible with all 8/9/10sp hubs.

Spacers behind cassettes and 11sp freehub bodies are a road thing we don't have to worry about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    Shimano's mountain 11sp groups require a standard freehub body, so they're backwards compatible with all 8/9/10sp hubs.

Spacers behind cassettes and 11sp freehub bodies are a road thing we don't have to worry about.
    Wow, I really do come from a road background haha. I just assumed my stuff would be non compatible with the latest tech. Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

So, Lazarus, I have been looking at this myself and cannot for the life of me find anywhere that explains this. How can the 11 speed be differently spaced for XT/XTR versus Ultegra/DA or is the freehub on a 8/9/10 speed MTB Shimano hub differently spaced?

Thanks in advance for a reply!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 1962Ford View Post
    So, Lazarus, I have been looking at this myself and cannot for the life of me find anywhere that explains this. How can the 11 speed be differently spaced for XT/XTR versus Ultegra/DA or is the freehub on a 8/9/10 speed MTB Shimano hub differently spaced?

Thanks in advance for a reply!!!
    11s road requires a different free hub body that pushes the cassette a little bit farther from the spokes to stop the chain from rubbing on the spokes when in your largest cog. Mountain cassettes have much larger 1st gear cogs (40t 42t) and is farther away from the spokes when in those gears due to the angle of the spokes.

Hope that doesn't confuse you more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    612 is correct.

Shimano and SRAM road and mountain 11sp both use the same 1.6mm cog thickness ass 10sp but reduced the cog pitch from 3.95mm to 3.74mm (spacer thickness went from 2.35mm to 2.14mm). Even so that isn't enough to fit an 11th gear in the space of 10, so road freehub bodies (ignoring Campy) grew by 1.8mm. So when you use a 10sp cassette on an 11sp body, you use a little spacer.

For mountain, SRAM went to their XD driver body, and arranged the placement so that it could fit an 11sp cassette. Shimano decided to keep the old-style freehub body and gain the extra 1.8mm by shifting the cassette closer to the spokes. The largest cog overhangs the hub flange a bit. You can see the offset pretty clearly in this picture of the back of a OneUp 45T cog:

XT 1x11- Anyone have experience with this?-p5pb12444171.jpg

So for 11sp, you either need a 8/9/10sp freehub body with a Shimano mountain 11sp cassette, an XD freehub body with a SRAM mountain cassette, or an 11sp road freehub body with a Shimano or SRAM road 11sp cassette. The gear thickness and gear-to-gear spacing is the same in each case - hence why chains are interchangeable. You could even use a shifter+derailleur with the"wrong" cassette if you really wanted to, and it would work (eg XT M8000 shift/der on a road bike with a SRAM 22 cassette if you really wanted flat bar shifters).

Hope that clears things up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks lazarus2405, that makes sense now about the mountain not needing the new freehub and that pic was perfect! Much appreciated!!!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    lazarus2405, if I understand you correctly the large cog on a SRAM cassettte sits out further from the hub flange than Shimano. True?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    lazarus2405, if I understand you correctly the large cog on a SRAM cassettte sits out further from the hub flange than Shimano. True?
    No the mountain cassettes will sit the same distance from the flange. The main difference between sram and shimano is the freehubs driver design.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Ack

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I read on Bikeradar that Shimano does not recommend using XTR with the newXT 11x42 cassette. I am getting ready to buy the XT 11 speed groups but was considering getting the higher end XTR 11 speed rear shifter for longevity and maybe slightly lighter shifting. Will the shifter work with the XT rear derailleur and cassette? Not sure why all their 11 speed stuff would not work together.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I read on Bikeradar that Shimano does not recommend using XTR with the newXT 11x42 cassette. I am getting ready to buy the XT 11 speed groups but was considering getting the higher end XTR 11 speed rear shifter for longevity and maybe slightly lighter shifting. Will the shifter work with the XT rear derailleur and cassette? Not sure why all their 11 speed stuff would not work together.
    It works great, I have the new XTR 11 speed shifter along with the XT cassette and rear derailleur. The shifter works flawlessly and is noticeably smoother and requires less effort than the previous XT shifter.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jgdblue View Post
    It works great, I have the new XTR 11 speed shifter along with the XT cassette and rear derailleur. The shifter works flawlessly and is noticeably smoother and requires less effort than the previous XT shifter.

Go for it, you won't regret it.
    Thanks, looking forward to the bigger gearing range but still staying 1x

mtbr member
    It works great, I am using XTR shifter + XT 1140 + One-up 45 cog. Combined with a narrow-wide chain ring (I use the very high toothed Garbaruk) you can actually decrease the tension in the clutch a lot (easy to do with the new XT derailleur that has an external adjustment) and then the effort at the lever is as light as it can get. Lovely set up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yeah shimano said the 10s stuff wouldn't work with more than a 36 bit look how that went....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I can't imagine needing my 1x11 XT shifter to be any smoother to lighter in action. In other words, I don't think I would upgrade to an XTR shifter which used to be the best place to upgrade an XT drivetrain.

I find the new XT shifter half as easy to shift up the cassette as my 1x10 set up with XTR shifter, XT cassette with 40t Wolftooth cog. I did notice the XTR shifter lighter in action than the XT shifter, but not radically lighter.

Glad to be done with 1x10, but feel for the Cog companies who will eventually have little market for their rear cogs as 1x10 moves down the food chain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I think our words are getting confused. Perhaps this image from the Shimano 2016 Technical Information will make things crystal clear:

Name:  11sp cass snip.PNG
Views: 2689
Size:  16.1 KB

But to clarify:

The innermost edge of the Shimano mountain 11sp cassettes sits 3.55mm inboard (towards the spokes) from the base of the freehub body. As far as I can tell (90% sure here) the biggest cog on a SRAM 11sp XD-driver cassette sits in the same place as a normal 10sp biggest cog. I don't have one handy to measure, and I can't find a mechanical drawing of the cassette in SRAM's documentation, but pictures show a flat back to the SRAM 11sp cassettes, unlike the Shimano one pictured above.

Standard 8/9/10sp (Shimano mountain 11sp compatible) and SRAM XD driver bodies both sit 44.2mm from the base of the freehub body splines to the end of the drive-side endcap (142x12).

So if the base of the XD driver is in the same place relative to the dropout, and the 42t SRAM cog is not offset inboard, and the 11sp cassette is thicker, then the 10t cog must be further outboard (closer to the dropout) than a Shimano or 10sp 11t cog. That agrees with some folks having clearance problems with some frames when XX1 first launched.

Yeah shimano said the 10s stuff wouldn't work with more than a 36 bit look how that went....
    Eh, when Shimano says it won't "work", they really mean "work perfectly", when people are asking whether it will "just work". If it's a case that Shimano didn't consider in the design process and optimize around, they won't endorse it.

The max cog a given derailleur can take, as stated by Shimano, has been conservative for decades. FD-M9000 isn't supposed to "work" with anything bigger than a 40t, and a 45 OneUp works nicely.

mtbr member

Yep, dozens of threads and aftermarket products dedicated towards rigging 10-speed stuff so it will shift into a 42t. You can't blame Shimano for recommending that you keep within their design limitations, one persons "it works" might be another's "this blows".

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I think our words are getting confused. Perhaps this image from the Shimano 2016 Technical Information will make things crystal clear:

Name:  11sp cass snip.PNG
Views: 2689
Size:  16.1 KB

But to clarify:

The innermost edge of the Shimano mountain 11sp cassettes sits 3.55mm inboard (towards the spokes) from the base of the freehub body. As far as I can tell (90% sure here) the biggest cog on a SRAM 11sp XD-driver cassette sits in the same place as a normal 10sp biggest cog. I don't have one handy to measure, and I can't find a mechanical drawing of the cassette in SRAM's documentation, but pictures show a flat back to the SRAM 11sp cassettes, unlike the Shimano one pictured above.

Standard 8/9/10sp (Shimano mountain 11sp compatible) and SRAM XD driver bodies both sit 44.2mm from the base of the freehub body splines to the end of the drive-side endcap (142x12).

So if the base of the XD driver is in the same place relative to the dropout, and the 42t SRAM cog is not offset inboard, and the 11sp cassette is thicker, then the 10t cog must be further outboard (closer to the dropout) than a Shimano or 10sp 11t cog. That agrees with some folks having clearance problems with some frames when XX1 first launched.

Eh, when Shimano says it won't "work", they really mean "work perfectly", when people are asking whether it will "just work". If it's a case that Shimano didn't consider in the design process and optimize around, they won't endorse it.

The max cog a given derailleur can take, as stated by Shimano, has been conservative for decades. FD-M9000 isn't supposed to "work" with anything bigger than a 40t, and a 45 OneUp works nicely.
    So SRAM's chainline would be better in the 42t than Shimano because it's 3.55mm further out. Quite interesting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I think that:

No the mountain cassettes will sit the same distance from the flange. The main difference between sram and shimano is the freehubs driver design.
    Shimano 11 RD and Shifters works with Sram's 11 cassetes, and vice versa. So distance between the cog and width all cassetes are the same. On the right side there is no possible to move cassette towards to the frame (for example in 135 mm hubs in 10 sp. chain is near the frame). So XD driver have to move the biggest cog towards the spokes and the biggest cog in Shimano and Sram have to be in the same place.
    Last edited by Muszel; 11-14-2015 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Muszel View Post
    I think that:

Shimano 11 RD and Shifters works with Sram's 11 cassetes, and vice versa. So distance between the cog and width all cassetes are the same. On the right side there is no possible to move cassette towards to the frame (for example in 135 mm hubs in 10 sp. chain is near the frame). So XD driver had to move the biggest cog towards the spokes and the biggest cog in Shimano and Sram must be in the same place.
    So, the chainline with shimano and sram 11 sp cassette largest cog are both identical. Shimano did it by tweaking the large ring inboard into the spoke so you can have 8/9/10 sp hub backward compatibility, while sram did it by designing the XD driver to compensate so the entire cassette sits slightly more inboard than their 10 speed drivers. 2 different design solutions to be able to make the 11 cog cassette fit in the the same hub spacing. I think this is what I am understanding??

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I think so