mtbr member

xt 11spd m8000 doesnt fit stan's hubs

As of now the xt m8000 cassette does not fit onto the stans 3.30 hub bodies. Stans hubs appear to be a bit larger probably to make up for the slop from factory cassettes. Shimano decided to tighten up the large carrier probably due to the huge 42T cog.
    Last edited by Fisty; 12-18-2015 at 08:13 AM.

NedwannaB
    Subscribed. Seems odd anyone else care to comment I was looking at getting a ZTR crest wheelset and run an 11/40.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    mine fits no problems, where are you getting this info?

mtbr member
    2 instances. My own and another. Might be specific to 3.30 hubs though. I should have been specific. The smaller cog carrier slid right on.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisty View Post
    2 instances. My own and another. Might be specific to 3.30 hubs though. I should have been specific. The smaller cog carrier slid right on.
    Ztr's not 3.30 hub? I'll have to check before purchase.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have the 3.3o hubs on Flow Ex rims. I'm running a xt m8000 11x42t cassette. Fit is perfect.

mtbr member
    As of now the xt m8000 cassette does not fit onto the stans 3.30 hub bodies. Stans hubs appear to be a bit larger probably to make up for the slop from factory cassettes. Shimano decided to tighten up the large carrier probably due to the huge 42T cog.
    What did Stans say when you contacted them about this?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Are you talking about the splines on the freehub? They're taller or wider? I'm sure Stan's didn't make any changes - the hubs come from one of the major hub factories in china or taiwan.

Magically Delicious
    Hmmmm....???

Something don't smell right here. There has to be a logical explanation.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Until I switched over to Hope hubs a couple months ago, the new 11spd M8000 cassette was a perfect fit on my 3.30 hub.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Can you post a picture of the hub body this is to hard to believe.
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The issue may be a variance in the XT8000 large carrier. On a new Easton carbon wheel all of the cogs & carriers fit loose on the free hub, the large cog carrier was too tight to even slide on 1mm. I then tried an XTR 9 sp & XT 10 sp cogset, both slide on on the loose side. I then contacted a buddy who just fit XT 8000 on his Easton free hub - his slide on with no issues. I then put the carrier in the oven and the freehub in ice and greased the free hub splines. 30 minutes later it slide on, but it was a snug fit. Greasing the splines should help when it comes time to remove it.

mtbr member
    Not sure where you get this idea from ... but my XT m8000 fits perfectly fine on the 3.30 (and it fits perfectly fine when I installed a One Up 45). I don't see why it would not, given that the dimensions of the cassette are unchanged ...
    Last edited by Davide; 12-22-2015 at 09:53 AM.

mtbr member
    So I sent back the cassette and ordered another M8000 from a different vendor. This cassette took some influence (mallet and a large socket) to get about a third of the way on and then it slip fit the rest of the way on. My conclusion based on my experience is that their is a conflict with tolerances going on. I tried about 5 other 9 nd 10 speed cassettes I had laying around and they all went right on no problem as well as both of the next smallest carriers on the 2 M8000 cassettes. It appears that shimano has in fact tightend up the fit for the larger cogs for obvious reasons.
    Rule of thumb- 1 Lb. costs 2 sec. per mile of climb

mtbr member
    So I sent back the cassette and ordered another M8000 from a different vendor. This cassette took some influence (mallet and a large socket) to get about a third of the way on and then it slip fit the rest of the way on. My conclusion based on my experience is that their is a conflict with tolerances going on. I tried about 5 other 9 nd 10 speed cassettes I had laying around and they all went right on no problem as well as both of the next smallest carriers on the 2 M8000 cassettes. It appears that shimano has in fact tightend up the fit for the larger cogs for obvious reasons.
    fisty, there is no need of a mallet when installing a cassette, the cassette slides in with very little pressure. And it makes little sense that the cassette takes pressure to get to one third of the way in and then slips in ...

Is everything nice and clean? Do you have grooves on the hub driver? Have you always put in the cassette correctly or forced it in when in the incorrect orientation?

mtbr member
    I had this problem with the M8000 11-42 cassette and a DT Swiss 350 hub... the largest cog was very tight but the rest were fine. The tightness was most pronounced on the spoke end of the splines when the cassette was almost all the way on, I was barely able to install it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    fisty, there is no need of a mallet when installing a cassette, the cassette slides in with very little pressure. And it makes little sense that the cassette takes pressure to get to one third of the way in and then slips in ...

Is everything nice and clean? Do you have grooves on the hub driver? Have you always put in the cassette correctly or forced it in when in the incorrect orientation?
    Lol, alls new but thanks.
    Rule of thumb- 1 Lb. costs 2 sec. per mile of climb