Which XD Driver for my wheel help!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Which XD Driver for my wheel help!

Hello

I'm looking to install the new GX 12 speed groupie on my bike but not too sure which XD Driver to get as I am not too familiar in this area.

My Wheel
    ------------------------
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/15578...ear-wheel.aspx

"Giant P-XCR 0 29 Inch 135/5mm QR Rear Wheel"

Someone in my area selling a XD Driver for a good price but its "
    135/9mm QR will this work or not since mine is "5mm" and he's selling the "9mm"?

Another question is I had a tech guy at the store saying that GX is incompatible with QR and that GX needs to have Thru Axle is this accurate?

mtbr member
    IDK about your wheel and XD driver, but if you go with an NX cassette or similar, you can stick with your existing splined freehub.
    Do the math.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikster View Post
    Another question is I had a tech guy at the store saying that GX is incompatible with QR and that GX needs to have Thru Axle is this accurate?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    I don't really know anything about your wheels/hubs, but the product page says they use DT Swiss internals.

Maybe not the same Giant dealer who made the comment I quoted above. That's not correct. GX is not incompatible with QR.

It does appear that DT Swiss does not sell their hubs with the xd freehub body and qr endcaps, but other manufacturers do. And it also appears that these endcaps are something you can get for dt swiss hubs aftermarket. Assuming they'll work for yours. It's possible they may not. Just depends on how much your hubs share with DT Swiss hubs.

https://www.amazon.com/DT-Swiss-Caps...X0TENR80PJ1C54

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for the reply. When it states "135/9mm QR" What does the "9mm" refer to? My wheel spec shows "135/5mm QR" will this still fit when there's a difference of 4mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I don't really know anything about your wheels/hubs, but the product page says they use DT Swiss internals.

Maybe not the same Giant dealer who made the comment I quoted above. That's not correct. GX is not incompatible with QR.

It does appear that DT Swiss does not sell their hubs with the xd freehub body and qr endcaps, but other manufacturers do. And it also appears that these endcaps are something you can get for dt swiss hubs aftermarket. Assuming they'll work for yours. It's possible they may not. Just depends on how much your hubs share with DT Swiss hubs.

https://www.amazon.com/DT-Swiss-Caps...X0TENR80PJ1C54

since 4/10/2009
    Thanks for the reply. When it states "135/9mm QR" What does the "9mm" refer to? My wheel spec shows "135/5mm QR" will this still fit when there's a difference of 4mm?
    The seller either doesn't know the details or mistyped the details. Rear axles are 10mm in diameter and the quick release skewer (which is not the axle) is 5mm in diameter. Front axles are 9mm in diameter.

It's important to note that you can't just shove any old xd driver onto your hubs. MAYBE a DT Swiss xd driver would fit, but DT Swiss makes a couple different sets of internals. And sometimes companies who use their internals do things that are slightly different on the externals that make direct parts compatibility difficult. Worst case scenario, Giant is one of those companies that uses only the ratchet mechanism, but does its own thing with the hub externals, so DT Swiss bits can't swap in directly. Which would mean that any parts for your hubs would have to come from Giant, and depends on what Giant offers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Ok I think i get it now. The one I'm looking at is the DT Swiss XD driver. I will bring my wheel to test fit it first to make sure its compatible with my DT Swiss Hub. Another question are XD drivers normally made to fit specific cassette size (11 speed or 12 speed etc etc) sorry if the question sound kinda dumb I'm pretty new to all of this. Thanks again Harold.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    The seller either doesn't know the details or mistyped the details. Rear axles are 10mm in diameter and the quick release skewer (which is not the axle) is 5mm in diameter. Front axles are 9mm in diameter.

It's important to note that you can't just shove any old xd driver onto your hubs. MAYBE a DT Swiss xd driver would fit, but DT Swiss makes a couple different sets of internals. And sometimes companies who use their internals do things that are slightly different on the externals that make direct parts compatibility difficult. Worst case scenario, Giant is one of those companies that uses only the ratchet mechanism, but does its own thing with the hub externals, so DT Swiss bits can't swap in directly. Which would mean that any parts for your hubs would have to come from Giant, and depends on what Giant offers.

since 4/10/2009
    Another question are XD drivers normally made to fit specific cassette size (11 speed or 12 speed etc etc)
    No. xd is what it is. number of cogs doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Another question is I had a tech guy at the store saying that GX is incompatible with QR and that GX needs to have Thru Axle is this accurate?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    I believe that to be an inaccurate statement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which XD Driver for my wheel help!-xd.jpg