X01 cranks OEM [Alloy] Vs X01 cranks aftermarket [Carbon]- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

X01 cranks OEM [Alloy] Vs X01 cranks aftermarket [Carbon]

There is not much in the MTB media about this and nothing I could find on the SRAM web site so to enlighten those thinking of purchasing a new bike that comes standard with X01 you need to be aware that X01 cranks as fitted to new bikes [OEM] are not the same as X01 cranks purchased aftermarket.
    The OEM cranks are alloy where as the aftermarket are carbon.
    The bike pictured is a 2014 Norco Sight 7.1 carbon.
    After much digging and pre release research on the bike I found a small mention in a pre release test on pink bike that mentioned the difference in the cranks. Not happy that my new bike would have alloy cranks I pre purchased a set of X01 carbon prior to getting the bike.
    Today I swapped them out.
    Weight difference = 80 grams
    So what you may say? 80 grams equals 1/2 an average piss beside the trail but I must confess to being one who likes bling on my bike and alloy just would not be cool on a carbon bike : )
    From what I understand the currently labelled X01 alloy cranks will actually be marketed as X9 next year

Plays with tools
    It should be noted that bike manufactures have their choice of cranks, and that not all XO1 OE cranks will be the aluminum version.

Trail Ninja
    Carbon XO is 80g lighter even with that boot on it? No need to put a boot that alloy one, right? Boots weighs what, 16.5g for a pair?

This thread devalued those carbon cranks a bit: http://forums.mtbr.com/sram/broken-xo-crank-831123.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    It should be noted that bike manufactures have their choice of cranks, and that not all XO1 OE cranks will be the aluminum version.
    I have read that carbon X01 will not be available to manufactures as OEM. Alloy only if they want to fit X01

Kiwi that Flew

The alloy cranks are being marketed as X1. Sram now have a page for it here http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/pr...orged-crankset

Deano

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    SRAM says there is 145 grams difference between the XO1 carbon cranks and the new X1 cranks they released earlier this week. I have the OEM XO1 alloy cranks (which look like the new X1) on my Mach 6. Was considering an upgrade to carbon for weight, but sounds like I would only drop 80 grams if I am reading this correctly? And I would want to run boots anyway, so I am down to even less than that. If that is the case, I will stick with the alloy ones because I like the durability. How much weight would I drop with a direct mount chainring?

Kiwi that Flew

Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Carbon XO is 80g lighter even with that boot on it? No need to put a boot that alloy one, right? Boots weighs what, 16.5g for a pair?

This thread devalued those carbon cranks a bit: http://forums.mtbr.com/sram/broken-xo-crank-831123.html

The worst of it now is that I am left with a 65 chainring that does not fit anything but Sram cranks as ChainReaction.Con will only replace the broken crankset and not the chainring that I bought from them at the same time.

UPDATE AND EDIT:
    I emailed SRAM and got an instant response that they would be in touch with CRC regarding my issue. AMAZING SRAM CUSTOMER SERIVCE.

Also had a further response from CRC, saying that as a 'gesture of good will' they will give be vouchers to the value of the chainring. AMAZING CHAINREACTION CUSTOMER SERIVCE (just took them a while to come around to my predicament).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X01 cranks OEM [Alloy] Vs X01 cranks aftermarket [Carbon]-screen-shot-2014-07-03-21.19.54.jpg  

X01 cranks OEM [Alloy] Vs X01 cranks aftermarket [Carbon]-screen-shot-2014-07-03-21.19.46.jpg  

Last edited by deanopatoni; 07-06-2014 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Not totaly comparable (because of direct mount chainring) but my own measurements only save 45grams. Of course there is no spider on the X1/X01/S1400 crank. So 80grams in original set up between carbon and alu crank sounds fair.

SRAM Kurbelgarnitur XX1 175mm, 32Z - Gewicht von Teilen auf der Waage - MTB-News.de

SRAM Kurbelgarnitur S1400 mit 26T Wolftooth direct mount GXP 175mm - Gewicht von Teilen auf der Waage - MTB-News.de

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just had my XX1 drive side pedal insert delaminate. I had creak I was tracking down for the last month. One of the last things I did was clean and re-grease the pedal bearings and grease the threads before reinstalling. After my last ride I finally realized the creak was from the pedal insert moving within the crank arm. I could move the outside edge of the pedal up and down about 1/4". Good thing it did not break apart and cause a serious crash. I dropped the crankset off at the LBS today for warranty replacement. Thinking about replacing the XX1 crankset with X9/X1.

Kiwi that Flew

Quote Originally Posted by MudBike View Post
    Just had my XX1 drive side pedal insert delaminate.........I dropped the crankset off at the LBS today for warranty replacement. Thinking about replacing the XX1 crankset with X9/X1.
    After my carbon crank delaminated I was hoping to get a Sram X1 to replace it, but at the time none were available. I think for the weight difference aluminium give me a lot more assurance that it's not going to fall apart.

I weight 72kgs (167lbs) and had the crank on a 140mm travel Turner.

Deano