Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

WolfTooth Components Thread

I have no affiliation with them, but thought it would be good to have the info on their products organized into one thread.

Q - Any updates on the ETA of 28T and 30T Sram GXP direct mount rings?

A - From WolfTooth -
    "ETA is 8 weeks on those. Our Facebook page is the best place to hear about new products/sizes if you want to subscribe to our news feed there."

mtbr member
    Looks like the 32 and 34 t sram direct mount are in stock.
    I just ordered a 34

mtbr member
    Running 1X10 with Wolf 34 ring up front on SLX crank, 11-36 XT cassette and Zee RD. Bike is Anthem 29. No chain guard/guide and no dropped chain! Gets the job done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Running 1X10 with Wolf 34 ring up front on SLX crank, 11-36 XT cassette and Zee RD. Bike is Anthem 29. No chain guard/guide and no dropped chain! Gets the job done.
    Is that zee a clutch type? A friend has been running a standard xo rd with no chain guide and no issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Running the Wolf ring on an SLX crank also, with an SLX Chain, SLX Shadow Plus RD, and SLX cassette. Works flawless. I have even ridden with the clutch disengaged without issue. Sometimes I forget to engage the clutch when I put my bike together. It lives in the way back of my Civic with the wheels removed when not in use. Gave up on using a rack in the Kansas wind. Here is a picture to show some Wolftooth love.

mtbr member
    Zee is a clutch RD.

I have tried a few 1X options with single speed rings and most worked good but needed some type of guide. Race face and Hope make quality rings and great color selection but ended up needing a chain guard. Wolf rings hold the chain better than any ring I have tried.

The only thing Wolf is missing is color selection but their rings are pretty sano in black.

friz,
    Looks great with SLX crank!

dwt
    mtbr member

Any complaints about North Shore billet?

They do recommend chain guides, one disadvantage compared to WT, but they are about $20 cheaper and have all sizes in stock.

Posted via iPhone
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member

Just finished installing the 34t direct mount on a xo bb30. I know is is supposed to be for gxp, but I always had to shim my chain guide out and run spacers on the chainring inward to have a good chainline. Well after installing the direct mount my chainline is perfect. So their is some cases where this will work with a BB30 crank.
    Now let see the performance without a clutch type derailluer. I am running a bionicon v guide though
    Btw I dropped 100 grams

WolfTooth Components Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367317807.372975.jpgWolfTooth Components Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367317850.675540.jpgWolfTooth Components Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367317905.360361.jpgWolfTooth Components Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367317928.625328.jpgWolfTooth Components Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367317746.913006.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WolfTooth Components Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367317534.177437.jpg  

WolfTooth Components Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367317560.690642.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just ordered a 34t direct mount. Will be losing 2 chain rings front derailleur and shifter with this. Will try running my current X9 regular rear derailleur but my LBS has a X0 type 2 that is slightly used waiting for me if I need it. I plan on not doing any guides, I think they look silly but that's totally personal opinion.

mtbr member
    Will Wolftooth be releasing larger Sram GXP rings - 36T?
    I'm currently running 12-36 cassette w/ a 39 large XO front (never use the small ring). Wanting to switch to a 1x10, but I think dropping to a 36 from the 39 would be plenty.....the 34T will most likely be too small of a ring.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by droanx View Post
    Just ordered a 34t direct mount. Will be losing 2 chain rings front derailleur and shifter with this. Will try running my current X9 regular rear derailleur but my LBS has a X0 type 2 that is slightly used waiting for me if I need it. I plan on not doing any guides, I think they look silly but that's totally personal opinion.
    I may look silly but the bionicon c guide actually works well eliminating about 85% of all chain slap. If I can get away without having to buy a type 2 I'm all for it.

dwt
    mtbr member

I'm wondering when the 30T will be available for my 29'er?

Old enough to know better and old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ejreyes6 View Post
    I may look silly but the bionicon c guide actually works well eliminating about 85% of all chain slap. If I can get away without having to buy a type 2 I'm all for it.
    Yea, I used one of those for a bit on my hardtail and ended up not liking it. Still dropped chains and made noise and gave my rear derailleur fits that I didn't care to fix. I've since changed bikes completely though.

I have no problem with what other people use, more power to them, I just like a clean and simple look.

mtbr member

Just finished the first ride using a standard medium cage xo derailluer. I tried dropping the chain. Riding the roughest drops and picking bad lines. Never dropped once. I was running a 34 t Raceface 1 x chainring prior to switching to the Wolftooth ring. This ring is super quiet.
    Impressive

WolfTooth Components Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367366301.573593.jpg

mtbr member
    ejreyes6- Nice set up
    I've been riding similar on my RDO for the last year but with a take off s2210 BB30(C-dale XO) and MRP Bling ring for GXP with a 10mm spacer ring on drive side and the chainline is good, and an e-13 xcx- st guide.

WolfTooth Components Thread-img_10491.jpg

Regarding your BB30 XO crank, are you using the 10mm spacer on the drive side as it appears in your pick from behind? There seems to be a great deal of controversy about the difference between GXP and BB30 chain-lines with single rings offerings, as well as OEM vs after market XO cranks spindle lenghts. It looks like the Wolf GXP ring is dished/offset to the inside, correct? Got an estimate of how much?

The reason I'm asking is that I am intrigued by these Wolftooth rings and may be trying them next after my current Bling wears out.
    Thx
    Last edited by Noclutch; 05-02-2013 at 04:51 AM.

mtbr member

Yes, I'm running the 10mm spacer on the drive side. With the stock bb30 2x Spider I had to shim my e13 guide out with 3 spacers and shim my 34t raceface ring inward about 2 mm just to get a decent chainline. I knew the gxp rings are set more inward compared to the bb30. So I took a chance and ordered the wolftooth direct mount and the chainline is great. By looking at your picture you have the guide out with two spacer and having the 10mm spacer on the drivers side crank. The gxp direct mount should work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just installed my 34t direct mount. Ordered late Monday night, in the mailbox Thursday. Sweet.

No problems installing. I'm going to run my standard non-clutch X9 rear derailleur for a bit and see if it works. No issues shifting on the stand or around the block but we'll see on Saturday when I hit up the local trail.

Here is a picture for your viewing pleasure:

WolfTooth Components Thread-xvnufzjcni70dneed5dmvtqszdndhs-9buywmmrn1em.jpg
    Last edited by droanx; 05-02-2013 at 01:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I got a 104 BCD 32t to run on my carbon hardtail with a Type 2 X9. The ring is excellent in quality and execution and generally works as intended. That being said, I did drop a chain once at Sea Otter while rocking and rolling down a rutted fireroad, which cost me 30sec in my race. It's the downhill where a million water bottles pile up at the bottom from bouncing out, so that gives you a general idea of how bumpy the trail is. I think the chain wouldn't have dropped if I had shifted to a bigger cog in the back before hitting the downhill, but you generally don't think about these things in the thick of a race...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    hi, can you post a pic with the low gear and one with the large gear, i have bb30 and want to see the chainline

Just finished installing the 34t direct mount on a xo bb30. I know is is supposed to be for gxp, but I always had to shim my chain guide out and run spacers on the chainring inward to have a good chainline. Well after installing the direct mount my chainline is perfect. So their is some cases where this will work with a BB30 crank.
    Now let see the performance without a clutch type derailluer. I am running a bionicon v guide though
    Btw I dropped 100 grams

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367317807.372975.jpg 
Views:	1690 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	794944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367317850.675540.jpg 
Views:	4231 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	794945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367317905.360361.jpg 
Views:	1669 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	794946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367317928.625328.jpg 
Views:	1451 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	794947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367317746.913006.jpg 
Views:	1481 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	794943

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by michael_RR View Post
    hi, can you post a pic with the low gear and one with the large gear, i have bb30 and want to see the chainline
    WolfTooth Components Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367539223.490220.jpgWolfTooth Components Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367539242.511110.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks a lot, looks like that in the highest gear its gonna be hard for
    The chain, will see this post and see if yours working fine.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by michael_RR View Post
    Thanks a lot, looks like that in the highest gear its gonna be hard for
    The chain, will see this post and see if yours working fine.
    My drivetrain is dead quiet even in granny. 5th gear on my cassette lines up perfect with the chainring.

mtbr member
    Just got back from my first ride with a Wolf Tooth Components chainring (32 tooth, 104 BCD). It bolted right up with no alignment issues. The trails I rode this morning weren't the roughest, but my drivetrain stayed silent. I'm really happy with it so far

WolfTooth Components Thread-imag0376.jpg

I have it paired with an XT clutch type rear derailleur, 11-36 Sram 1070 cassette and Sram PC-1091 chain.

UPDATE: Yesterday I rode my normal rocky trails and no dropped chain. I'm sold.
    Last edited by kubikeman; 05-08-2013 at 06:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Got my 34t SRAM direct mount installed and on it's maiden voyage.

Something to note, I am NOT using a clutch derailleur because I'd like to see how it works out.

Today was a wet ride and only got 9.5 miles in due to getting to an impassable flooded section and having to turn around.

Anyways, this is my home trail and on my 2x10 I would drop the chain easily 3-4 times a ride. Well, this ride was perfect! No dropped chains, no issues in that area at all. Very happy with the results, hoping to have many rides like this one.

Here's an "after" picture: WolfTooth Components Thread-946848_10200626963610725_1749745234_n.jpg

mtbr member

New webstore, Lower prices, accepting CCs, and free shipping to Europe

Hey All,
    We put up some news on FB. We have been working hard on these improvements.

Now that this part of the business is much more streamlined, we can focus on more new products - more sizes, mouting type, non-chainring , etc.
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfTooth View Post
    Hey All,

Now that this part of the business is much more streamlined, we can focus on more new products - more sizes, mouting type, non-chainring , etc.
    Sorry if i'm missing the obvious somewhere - but what is the chainline for the SRAM direct mount GXP rings?

mtbr member
    32 and 34 GXP DM have a 49mm Chainline right now (same as XX1).

The 36 and 38 will probably be more like 51mm for chainstay clearance.
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Hey Jaks,
    Did you shorten you chain as short as possible? If there is low or no chain tension in the smallest cog on the back, the chain will be more likely to drop.

Yours is the first clutch type drop we have heard of.
    wolftoothcomponents.com

Always Learning
    Hey All,

I checked the FB page, but didn't find any information about a ring that will work with the Middleburn crank arms. Are there plans to do a ring that would work in place of the UNO ring on the standard RS7 and RS8 crank arms, or will it be the X type only? Looks like the workaround would be to get a 4 arm spider from Middleburn with the 106/64 BCD.

Any update on when Middleburn gear might be coming along (besides the blue Snowflake 30T)?

TIA

mtbr member
    Hey BruceBrown,
    Middleburn stuff is out a couple of months, but we are definitely going to do it. We will most likely do both types long term.
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    I see your sold out of the SRAM GXP Cranks - 36T - when will they be available?

Michael

Hey BruceBrown,
    Middleburn stuff is out a couple of months, but we are definitely going to do it. We will most likely do both types long term.

mtbr member
    Hey Kman - 6 to 8 weeks on those. We never actually had them, so the ones coming 6-8 weeks will be the first in that size. We are trying to get the small DM rings in first because there has been so much interest in those.
    wolftoothcomponents.com

Always Learning
    Hey BruceBrown,
    Sounds great! I'll be waiting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just wanted to say how great my Wolftooth 32T is working out. I recently upgraded to 10spd SLX/XT Dynasys with a clutch type derailleur. Though my Chainring was a carryover geared 32T originally for 9 speed. On rough fast trails where I would naturally ratchet back the cranks the chain would fall off all the time. Mind you I had no type of front chainguide to prevent this. Now with the Wolftooth, no dropped chain, and seems to run smoother. Very high quality part that actually delivers as promised! That is becoming ever more rare these days.

mtbr member
    How are KMC chains working out? I put about 100 miles on a SRAM 1031 chain while using my WolfTooth 32t without any drops

Just put a new KMC X10SL chain on and hoping it works as well as the SRAM did.
    2015 Giant Anthem 29er
    2012 Trek Superfly Carbon HT

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jclyle View Post
    How are KMC chains working out? I put about 100 miles on a SRAM 1031 chain while using my WolfTooth 32t without any drops

Just put a new KMC X10SL chain on and hoping it works as well as the SRAM did.
    Working great with a kmc x10

mtbr member
    Hey KeviChe and others -- thanks for the positive feedback! Really appreciate hearing from our customers. We are working hard to ship promptly and get more sizes and interfaces ready. Keep letting us know how they are working.
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    First ride with 36t wolftooth ring and xtr shadow plus rdr. Took of the chain guide and didnt drop a chain. Riding rough and rocky Central Texas limestone. Great product!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The cliche goes something like "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..." WT has great reviews and customer service, yet everyone complains about the prices. Obviously they never took Econ 101 and read the chapter about Supply v Demand.

As a business owner I'm not a fan of reverse engineering whether a US-based copycat working in a garage with a Haas or an overseas factory pumping out thousands a month. Now there are a handful of similar rings coming out, and most comments are "hope it drops prices." I don't know about that. Locally there is a company making the same type of ring and they promise pricing to be about $40. We'll see about that.

Free enterprise is a great thing. Just need to remove emotion and keep it purely business: SRAM XX1 1x11 Crankset Chainring 1x10 Shimano XTR XT LX SLX Single Speed Ring | eBay
    Last edited by westin; 05-16-2013 at 06:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just placed an order. .

mtbr member
    Place Dan order for a direct mount 32 on Tuesday. Can't wait to try it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi wolftooth,
    I dont have shadow plus rear der, is it still ok to use wolftooth with only bottom guide like stinger?
    Im interested in 32T, and get rid of the top guide.
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Hey Inter,
    The chain security is still very good w/out a shadow plus. In our testing, we have only had a few drops without the clutch type, but they do happen occasionally. The one thing you can do to help this is make sure the chain is as tight as possible so chain tension remains high across all the cogs.
    I would suggest trying the ring with no lower guide to see what happens (wouldn't suggest this test in a race situation). If you have issues, either get a low end clutch rear der or put on your bottom guide.
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hey Inter,
    The chain security is still very good w/out a shadow plus. In our testing, we have only had a few drops without the clutch type, but they do happen occasionally. The one thing you can do to help this is make sure the chain is as tight as possible so chain tension remains high across all the cogs.
    I would suggest trying the ring with no lower guide to see what happens (wouldn't suggest this test in a race situation). If you have issues, either get a low end clutch rear der or put on your bottom guide.
    Thanks Wolftooth.
    So in your testing, you had no clutch type der and no lower guide / tensioner, had a few drops.
    have you tried no clutch type der but with lower guide like stinger or even c-guide? I wonder if that would work.

mtbr member
    Yes, very few drops w/ no chain tensioner other than a non-clutch type rear der. When compared to how often people drop a chain with a front der, our testing showed this 1x without a clutch drops the chain less often. Drops happen on very rough terrain when in the smallest cog and when slight quick back pedalling occurs (shifting feet) that causes a reduction in chain tension.
    The way I look at it (for personal use) if I am not racing, the retention is plenty good (better than w/ 2x or 3x) because a chain drop is only a minor annoyance. When racing, I would only use a clutch type.
    We have not tested with teh C-guide. If you do, please let us know how it works!
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member

Re: WolfTooth Components Thread

Wolftooth, thanks for offering such a great product. I am running your 30t on my AM/FR bike and 32t on the 29HT. I did my bet shakedown on both and handled flawlessly. I am even impressed with the sram type 2 rears as well, so quiet. Saved a bunch from taking off the mrp guides/tensioner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    great info..i may order one someday. bummer, i just bought mrp g2. gotta sell it fast and get wolftooth.
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'll chime in with my recent(last two days) of experience on the Wolf Tooth direct mount SRAM ring(32t). I was running a MRP Bling Ring and 1x Direct Mount Chain Guide prior to this and had zero complaints with it, other than the looks... So I decided to give the Wolftooth a try in hopes of ditching the chain guide. I am running a standard non-clutch type Sram X9 derailleur. I've ridden two hard days, totaling 30 miles, on the new setup now and have yet to drop a chain. I've been hammering some of the rockiest trails in my area both up and down while shifting like an idiot on purpose just to see what would come of it. The chain has remained glued on the ring! So for now I can't see a reason to upgrade to the Type 2... As some of my bigger races for the year approach I might upgrade, but I'm more than happy with the performance thus far on the old rear derailleur!

mountain biker
    I'll add my experience to this thread. I've got at least 10 rides on my setup now: 11-16 XT cassette, Zee RD (it has a clutch), 32 WolfTooth, no chain retention device, on a Mojo HD. Not one dropped chain. I've been riding some pretty rocky terrain, but it's been fairly slow and not much jumping or DH. Yesterday I finally took it out to some of the rockier bigger hills around here, and it performed perfectly. Long, rough DH with jumps landing in rock gardens=no problem. I'm sold. Thanks for the great product WolfTooth.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ouch

mtbr member
    Interesting, I just came across this thread and have been thinking of going to 1x10 , but did have a budget in mind.

I am already running a Shadow Plus Derailleur XTR, and currently have the Shimano XT 3x10 setup, with press fit bottom bracket (M770 XT crankset) on a 2011 Giant Trance.

If I do go this route with a 32T ring, would my chainline be off to use certain gears?

Interested to hear some feedback.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Poor Mathias Fluckiger, guess he will be using a chain guide with his drop stop ring from now on.
    WolfTooth Components Thread-4od7l2.png

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitalman View Post
    Poor Mathias Fluckiger, guess he will be using a chain guide with his drop stop ring from now on.

Name:	4od7l2.png 
Views:	2778 
Size:	320.2 KB 
ID:	800373
    Hi Vitalman,
    Yeah, we were bummed to see that, and our riders (including Mathias) have not had issues like this previously, including in racing. He had been on them for several weeks, and he must have had confidence in the ring or he would not have ridden it.
    The conditions today were brutal no doubt and we have never claimed that the rings are impervious to drops (See FAQ 3 here if you...I am sure you have already seen this though: http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/pages/faq;). The most common cause when a drop does happen is a rock or small stick gets in the teeth or a kick with the heal of the shoe on a tech descent like the one Mathias was going down.

The worst part of the day was seeing Julien's derailleur shatter and Schuters fork and drivetrain. That would have been a good battle to see! Given those failures, I guess Vitalman won't be buying a BMC, XTR, XX1, or DT Swiss fork rear derailleur any time soon either
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The worst part of the day was seeing Julien's derailleur shatter and Schuters fork and drivetrain. That would have been a good battle to see! Given those failures, I guess Vitalman won't be buying a BMC, XTR, XX1, or DT Swiss fork rear derailleur any time soon either
    I didn't see any XX1 fail...Absalon was on XTR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So, a world class rider that rides their bike as a job made a Wolftooth chainring lose a chain? For a common folk rider like me this affects me how? I'm sure Mathias has more hours on that style chainring than I will get in my first year of owning it. When a world class rider breaks something on a gnarly course it doesn't make me think "Gee, that part doesn't work I'll never buy that" It just shows that we are riding on a machine and machines break.

Not sure why vitalman has it out for WT. I am not at all worried about dropping a chain and if/when I do it will not ruin my day, it's just part of the hobby that I enjoy.
    Last edited by droanx; 05-19-2013 at 01:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My drivetrain is dead quiet even in granny. 5th gear on my cassette lines up perfect with the chainring.
    Where did you find the 10mm spacer? I'm interested in running this ring on my BB30 crank but can;t find a 10mm spacer

mtbr member

Came with my crankset

mtbr member

All this talk of function related topics is boring me. My ring is purrrrrdy:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    All this talk of function related topics is boring me. My ring is purrrrrdy:
    Post a photo of it on your bike now! And let us know how it works for you too.
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Post a photo of it on your bike now! And let us know how it works for you too.
    I certainly would/will, but my bike is in several pieces in different parts of the country right now. First week of June or so, I'll post it up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Got to try it out tonight and it was great no dropped chains. This is the answer i was looking for with my conversion to a 1x10 and removed the front derailer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WolfTooth Components Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Received mine Saturday and will be trying it out this weekend.

I bet it took all of 2 seconds to put his chain back on. Stuff happens.And in case you didn't know I heard of an xx1 chain drop as well. The conditions were horribrle

mtbr member
    I rode this evening and hit every root and rock I could find. It worked great. I have a non clutch medium cage x9 derailure and a direct mount 32. It pedals so smooth I can't believe the difference. I was running a single ring race face on my 2 x10 spider.

Removing the spider and the chain guide I dropped 130 grams .

Pics to come.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have a 30t winging its way to me :-) with which i'm going 1x10 , currently have 2x10 XT with Sram X9 non clutch, a bash and a Stinger.
    I would like to keep chain slap down, cant see why i cannot refit the Stinger?
    Also any full chain guides that will fit? The MRP Micro will apparently only fit the Bling

Cheers guys

mtbr member

A 30t huh? I don't think those are ready just yet...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Believe this was at least the second batch made

mtbr member
    That's odd. I had an email conversation with WT last week who told me they wouldn't be ready for 4 weeks. Their web store shows them as "sold out", which is the same as the 24t and 26t models which were never made.

To Wolf Tooth: do you guys have the 30t or 28t in stock yet? Did you ever?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I kept an eye on both the website and their FB page, saw that 30T were ready for the 27th. I emailed them as to wether that date was firm and they said they would be sent out either the 24th or 28th, so I bought one via the website there and then. Got an email on the 23rd, posted! The entire batch gone there and then due to back orders

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Obviously with XT cranks I'm talking bout 104 BCD.....

mtbr member
    HAH. There's my problem. I'm talking about the GXP direct mount.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ah!

mtbr member
    We have not made those yet. Web store only allows "in stock" or "sold out" as status. Hope to have them in 2 weeks or so but can't guarantee that!
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    The Stinger should work fine. Let us know how it all works out.
    -M
    wolftoothcomponents.com

dwt
    mtbr member

We have not made those yet. Web store only allows "in stock" or "sold out" as status. Hope to have them in 2 weeks or so but can't guarantee that!
    Well, I hope your success continues. Word to the wise: mtbr readers were high on Homebrew components for custom rings for a long time. He was a one man operation and his delivery dates became longer and longer from date of payment, and people got fed up with him. I bought a 31T 104 bcd that I used for 1x9 on my 650b with a BBG bashwhich as a chain keeper. Now I have X9 direct mount crank and want to convert it to 1X10 with a WT 30T up front, and dump the bashwhich. As I have said before, 1X is about taking stuff OFF your bike, mKing it lighter and simpler. Chain guides, chain keepers, tensioners and such parts mean spending more $$ and then putting new stuff ON the bike after you removed front der. shifter and chainrings. Not good.

Your rings are a breed apart with the alternating teeth. As you are the only game in town for this product, I beg you to PRODUCE, PRODUCE and PRODUCE.

Good news for me: I'm in no rush to finish the 1X10 conversion on my 650b as I just purchased a Tall Boy carbon. I will run that with a front der. bash- 32-24 and ride it pretty much exclusively until I can get the 30T for the 650b. That has all the parts except the ring and is sitting around in dry dock waiting to be put back together.

Yes it's nice to have so many toys.

dwt
    mtbr member

The Stinger should work fine. Let us know how it all works out.
    -M
    I thought the stinger was only good for a double

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I don't think they're the only game in town now. There's a guy on eBay selling No-Drop front rings for XX1 and 104. At least there was. RaceFace claims theirs will be out soon with a msrp of about $45-$50. I'll believe it when I see it.

Rode with a buddy today, he has a WT 34T 104 on a XT clutch and 11-36. No chain drops in 6000' and 34 miles on his HT. Only thing he could whine about was the price...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I don't think they're the only game in town now. There's a guy on eBay selling No-Drop front rings for XX1 and 104. At least there was. RaceFace claims theirs will be out soon with a msrp of about $45-$50. I'll believe it when I see it.

Rode with a buddy today, he has a WT 34T 104 on a XT clutch and 11-36. No chain drops in 6000' and 34 miles on his HT. Only thing he could whine about was the price...
    I would imagine WT will be forced to drop their prices if and only if Raceface, e*13, and others come out with a ring that's as good. Even if RF and MRP or whoever come out with one, we'll have to wait and see. Obviously, people pay a premium for stuff that works in our little mtb land.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    I thought the stinger was only good for a double
    The stinger has a groove and a shelf, for lack of better terms. I would imagine the chain will sit in the groove with a WT ring, and that it'll work just fine.

dwt
    mtbr member

I would imagine WT will be forced to drop their prices if and only if Raceface, e*13, and others come out with a ring that's as good. Even if RF and MRP or whoever come out with one, we'll have to wait and see. Obviously, people pay a premium for stuff that works in our little mtb land.
    Yes we'll have to wait and see. The articles I read about the RF rings said that while they had the narrow/wide no drop teeth profile, they were 104 bcd, so nothing smaller than 32T. Only WT makes a 30T in 104 bcd AFAIK. 30T and even 28T necessary for 29" and 27.5" wheels for a lot of average strength riders.

e13 and North Shore Billet make direct mount rings, but not with the no drop teeth pattern.

So as of right now, WT is the only game on town- EXCEPT they are out of stock. "We make 'em, but we don't have any in stock" is a piss poor marketing strategy for this product, especially when the price is the highest in the market.

If anyone knows of another source of direct mount no drop rings, please post up the link.

I repeat my message to WT: step up production sooner rather than later, because other manufacturers WILL jump in eventually. First come first served. Plus, once there is competition in supply, you can forget about the $80+ pricing.

Race is on.

mtbr member

Yes we'll have to wait and see. The articles I read about the RF rings said that while they had the narrow/wide no drop teeth profile, they were 104 bcd, so nothing smaller than 32T. 30T and even 28T necessary for 29" and 27.5" wheels for a lot of average strength riders.

e13 and North Shore Billet make direct mount rings, but not with the no drop teeth pattern.

So as of right now, WT is the only game on town- EXCEPT they are out of stock. "We make 'em, but we don't have any in stock" is a piss poor marketing strategy for this product, especially when the price is double what it " should" be.

If anyone knows of another source of direct mount no drop rings, please post up the link.

I repeat my message to WT, step up production sooner rather than later, because other manufacturers WILL jump in eventually. First come first served. Plus, once there is competition in supply, you can forget about the twice as expensive as everyone else.

Race is on.
    I agree with 90% of what you're saying, except for cost. They're worth what people will pay for them, period. At least one competitor, XX1, charges $90 retail for a proprietary BCD. Right now, $78 for several options is spot on.

But yeah, they really should be taking advantage of this market. Stock 'em up Wolf Tooth!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the comments guys. And yes we hear you and are stepping up production in the next 2 weeks (started the process long ago actually). As many of you know, stepping up capacity is not done in the snap of a finger. Also, on the 30t 104BCD is BY FAR the most popular ring - the latest shipment sold out in 3 days. Remember that we don't have market data to tell us what is hot and not hot (collecting it now though like the 30t 104s!)...we are learning, trying getting better, and modifying our production schedule to balance supply/demand/new products. Also, we won't do the HBC thing, don't worry. This is why we only take pre-orders within a week or so of sending the rings. We don't want to hold your money while you wait for a ring any more than you want some bike component company holding your money!!

In the coming 4-6 weeks this new capacity will allow us to produce all the smaller DM sizes, get all the 88BCDs including 30t, keep the 104 stuff in stock, get the first batch of 120 BCD, entertain 102 BCD, and get some prototype stuff out to our testers.

Lots more to come!
    wolftoothcomponents.com

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyzeus View Post
    I have a 30t winging its way to me :-) with which i'm going 1x10 , currently have 2x10 XT with Sram X9 non clutch, a bash and a Stinger.
    I would like to keep chain slap down, cant see why i cannot refit the Stinger?
    Also any full chain guides that will fit? The MRP Micro will apparently only fit the Bling

Cheers guys

I've got a Micro guide working just fine with a 30t direct mount from North Shore Billet. Have used it with the full guide, and a skid with the roller bits cut off - basically an AMG. Works fine both ways. I'd imagine I'll have just as much success once I get the WT ring to try.

Waiting on the 30T SRAM direct mount, and the 30T 88mm BCD rings!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitalman View Post

Name:	4od7l2.png 
Views:	2778 
Size:	320.2 KB 
ID:	800373
    Poor fluckgier he only finished in the top 5 this weekend.

I have ridden the rockyiest rootiest trails and my ring has been flawless and I don't have a clutch type rear derailure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    I've got a Micro guide working just fine with a 30t direct mount from North Shore Billet. Have used it with the full guide, and a skid with the roller bits cut off - basically an AMG. Works fine both ways. I'd imagine I'll have just as much success once I get the WT ring to try.

Waiting on the 30T SRAM direct mount, and the 30T 88mm BCD rings!
    Thanks for that, going to try with just the Stinger initially as I'm only concerned with chain-slap really and Micro's aren't cheap!

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    Poor fluckgier he only finished in the top 5 this weekend.

I have ridden the rockyiest rootiest trails and my ring has been flawless and I don't have a clutch type rear derailure.
    I suppose if I raced, especially if seriously, I would use a chain guide, figuring a lost chain would be worse than carrying a few grams extra weight.

But I don't race, so after spending $$ on direct mount crank and WT ring, I'm glad I won't have to throw in another chunk of change for another part. I'll risk occasional chain drop. If more than occasional, I'll suppose I'll bite the bullet.

mtbr member
    I dropped the chain with a race face 32 and a chain guide. Not once but a few times. Plus it was a ***** to get out.

I'm with you,IF it ever drops its worth the weight I saved and will be able to put it back on in 2 seconds

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    I dropped the chain with a race face 32 and a chain guide. Not once but a few times. Plus it was a ***** to get out.

I'm with you,IF it ever drops its worth the weight I saved and will be able to put it back on in 2 seconds

This. I doubt my hardtail and 5" bike will ever have full guides again. I like the clutch rear mech, paired with at least something on the top, with some form of bash protection.

My 6.7" bike is top only at the moment, but may get the lower bits back on for riding at the lifts. Going to get some time in later this week. Figure I'll try a run or two with only the top guide and see how it goes. Easy enough to pop the lower roller back on if needed.

They've all been great with regular toothed rings, and I imagine they'll be even better with profiled tooth rings.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    As a follow up, I picked up a direct mount 34t and finally had a chance to put ~7 hours of fairly rough singletrack on it over the weekend, so far so good. Currently running the ring on an X0 crank I had used previously, paired with an XTR shadow+ mid cage.

If anyone is familiar with Landahl or Swope near Kansas City that will give you an idea of the terrain. I was looping a lot of the rocky sections, so would've expected a drop to happen at some point if it were going to happen. I was riding a fully rigid bike and even broke a spoke at one point, so things were pretty rough.

Still planning to test it in a race situation, although this definitely added confidence.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    . The articles I read about the RF rings said that while they had the narrow/wide no drop teeth profile, they were 104 bcd, so nothing smaller than 32T.

Actually the Race Face website claims to include a 30 tooth 104 wide narrow tooth ring. I have one on order as the rep told the shop that they would have them in June. We will see.

Race Face 2013

Might be wishful thinking on my part though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Those RF rings look nice, but seem to lack any sort of built in chain line offset like the WolfTooth rings have.

mtbr member
    Omg please make a 102bdc ring!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    Those RF rings look nice, but seem to lack any sort of built in chain line offset like the WolfTooth rings have.
    The pictures are 34 tooth rings. For a 30 tooth to work they have to do some sort off offset like Wolf.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    Chain line offset? Seems to me only the GXP DM rings have the chain line offset. The 104BCD rings mount where the "big" ring on your 2x crank would be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You have to offset a 30 tooth because the chain will hit the crank tabs.

mtbr member
    I get that, but that's not a "chain line offset". The offset on the 104BCD 30T ring is one WT made in order keep the chain clear of the spider, which doesn't come close to the actual "chain line offset" that the direct mount version gives. Seems to me that those using a DM ring will be running a cleaner chain line.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I get that, but that's not a "chain line offset". 104BCD 30T mod is one WT made in order keep the chain clear of the spider, which doesn't come close to the actual "chain line offset" that the direct mount version gives. Seems to me that those using a DM ring will be running a cleaner chain line.
    Oh yes I see what you're saying. Good point too. I may do that myself. XX1 with a 28 or just get it over with and get a complete XX1 kit.

mtbr member
    I'm going to 1x10 from 2x10 and just heard about these chainrings. I have a fairly heavy bike, 35lbs, and am considering the 30t to drop a little weight and a little easier than the 32t for the longer/steeper climbs.
    Wondering how people running the 30t are liking the gearing.
    Seems like a great product from the reviews i've seen.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Any ETA on BB30 direct-mount?

mtbr member
    BB30 DM are out in July or August. Note that we have had customers successfully using the GXP rings on BB30 with some shifting around of the crankset spacers (see earlier posts in this thread).

-WTC
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Hey Rob,
    Our gearing charts should help you on selecting the right size. I would suggest the 30t for most people because even w/ the 30t on a 26" bike at a 100 cadence you can still hit over 20mph (fast enough for most folks on mtbks=).

Gear Charts | wolftoothcycling.com
    wolftoothcomponents.com

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast